Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The one player you wished we signed this offseason?

morpheusmeyers

The O-lineman the Ravens picked up in the supplemental draft...Gaither. (?)

:cheers:

Good call. I was thinking Jared Gaither was a very safe "steal" for only a 5th rounder from next year. We would've picked before Baltimore and everyone had them selecting him in the supplemental 5th round. He certainly could be our "Dockery-in-training" replacement, if nothing else.

Only two questions about that:

a) Is there a "gentlemen's agreement" not to poach supplemental picks from other teams? Probably not.

and more importantly,

B) Do the Skins even have an '08 5th with which they could have used to get this guy?

Jared Gaither - would have only costed us a 5th round pick in the supplemental draft and he is said to look good over in B-more. Even though we already have two quality starting tackles, he would have provided great depth and possible replacement down the road a couple years.

I wish we would have re-signed Cooley already.

Let me tell you something, I kind of brushed off the fact that we let Bailey, Pierce, Smoot, Clark and Dockery go. I accepted the explanations at the time in each case.

All those guys have turned out to be mistakes so far. If we don't re-sign Cooley I will officially be pissed at our FO. I'm not one to bash our team operations, but in this case I can't react any other way. He's a guy we moved up in the draft for and he's performed above and beyond expectations. There is absolutely no excuse not to get his deal done. If by any chance we've strapped ourselves for next year with our cap situation, then I suggest we reevaluate the way we negotiate contracts in the future. You absolutely have to re-sign this player to maintain any level of respect from those of us who have been giving you the benefit of the doubt on all these players.

Yeah I wish that we had dockery back, but oh well. If Dock, then I would have to go with Randy Moss. Why not? I mean the Pats gave up a fourth round pick for him. It would be interesting to see how he would do in the Redskins locker room. Would he tear the locker room apart or would he fit in? That would be my vote.

Wasn't Jeff George available? :laugh:

I'm pretty much satisfied with what we did this offseason. Having Dock back would have been nice but both he and Leonard Davis got paid wayyy above their talent levels. Dock was a decent guard, but he isn't a 3 time All Pro or anything. Davis is basically an underachieving fatty. He never even got close to living up to his draft position (#2 overall pick in 2001); I'd actually call that a bust...and the Girls gave him a huge contract. I would have loved to have Nate Clements, but I'm glad we didn't spend the money on him that he got in his contract with the Niners. Lots of people wanted Adalius Thomas, but honestly I think Fletcher was a better fit for our D and he cost quite a bit less too. Don't get me wrong, Thomas is a great player. However, what we needed was a true MLB with experience and smarts and that is exactly what we got. Sure he is on the older side, but after watching him play the last couple of weeks I'd be surprised if he didn't have at least a couple more years of high level football left in him.

I'm glad we didn't spend a ridiculous amount on FAs this offseason. Save that money to lock Cooley and eventually Taylor in for many years to come. Hopefully the Skins FO is finally learning it's lesson and will do just that.

How dare you spout off intelligence? :laugh: Good Post. Also, like a previous poster said, if we had've resigned Dock to the money he got, we may not have been able to lock up Cooley or other FA's after this year.

the "locked up" part is largely illusory because of the contract escalations in the contracts that make it doubtful that they will be (or can be) continued for the next season. Samuels gets a $2M raise next year - likely that will be honored. Portis gets a $4.9 raise to 8.8M in 2008 and another $1M in 2009. Probably not. Jansen gets $8.8M next year -goodbye. Randy Thomas gets $8.7M - ouch. $2.5M raise for Moss - more pain. Here's two that should make everyone happy - Lloyd and ARE each get about $2M more for their record breaking work. Pony up another $2.5M for Carter and another $1M for Wade. $2M for Betts.

You can see where this is going - a lot of starters who are "locked up" will need to be cut or have their contracts renegotiated.

Ironically, Sean Taylor takes a pay cut next year. That should make him happy while Shawn Springs is cashing his $7M check.

And they need to re-sign Cooley or get rid of their go-to guy.

That sounds scary. But Springs won't see Redskins park in 2008.

Sean Taylor is going to make a fuss out of his contract after this season. I remember when he signed his rookie deal, it was a horrible deal, and he fired his agent, hired Rosenthal, and talked about he was going to play hard, and hopefully re-do his deal in a few years. I think his whole legal troubles through him off a bit, but I think he'll definately make a fuss next season.

For example Newman signed a 7 year, 20 million dollar deal in 03', Taylor signed a 7 year 18 million dollar deal in 04'. Winslow who was picked after Taylor, signed a 6 year 29 million dollar deal (max of 40 mil, but even the base value was an above market deal). I couldn't find Roy Williams deal, who was picked after Winslow.

But in 05' Cadillac signed a 5 year 31 million dollar deal

Sometimes it's not about total dollars, but actual dollars received and Taylor is on par with total dollars received.

Archived