8 Mark Gastineau

7 Michael Strahan

6 Kevin Greene

5 Gino Marchetti

4 Bruce Smith

3 Lawrence Taylor

2 Reggie White

1 Deacon Jones

One thing to note, they didn't show a single clip of Bruce Smith in a Redskins uni.

And I would disagree with this list, I would have Reggie White at #1.

And I would disagree with this list, I would have Reggie White at #1 and LT at #2.

I was about to ask why, but then I saw your age...

If you could tell me who Doug Atkins played for without doing a google search, then I might believe that you had enough of a sense of history to name the best pass rushers ever...& not just "the best pass-rushers I can see on youtube". :D

Sorry to tweak you because of your age, but other folks who have been around football for a lot longer time than you or I talk about Jones as having the "unofficial" sack record.

When the NFL implements a rule change against a move solely because you're too effective in using it...well, then you're on hallowed ground.

The "head slap" rule is in the NFL because of Deacon Jones, just like the clothesline rule is there because of Night train Lane.

I loved watching White & Taylor play (Except when they were performing mayhem on the Skins, of course). However, I totally agree with putting Deacon #1.

10. Derrick Thomas

9 Doug Atkins

8 Mark Gastineau

7 Michael Strahan

6 Kevin Greene

5 Gino Marchetti

4 Bruce Smith

3 Lawrence Taylor

2 Reggie White

1 Deacon Jones

One thing to note, they didn't show a single clip of Bruce Smith in a Redskins uni.

And I would disagree with this list, I would have Reggie White at #1.

I'm a little surprised Kevin Greene gets the 6 spot. I'd move him to 8.

Love seeing Jones/White in the top two slots. If I had to start an all time team, White is my first pick!

You shouldn't be surprised to not see Smith in a Redskin uni. He will rightfully be remembered as a Bill by most.

I was about to ask why, but then I saw your age...

If you could tell me who Doug Atkins played for without doing a google search, then I might believe that you had enough of a sense of history to name the best pass rushers ever...& not just "the best pass-rushers I can see on youtube". :D

Sorry to tweak you because of your age, but other folks who have been around football for a lot longer time than you or I talk about Jones as having the "unofficial" sack record.

When the NFL implements a rule change against a move solely because you're too effective in using it...well, then you're on hallowed ground.

The "head slap" rule is in the NFL because of Deacon Jones, just like the clothesline rule is there because of Night train Lane.

I loved watching White & Taylor play (Except when they were performing mayhem on the Skins, of course). However, I totally agree with putting Deacon #1.

Good post! Admittedly I'm to young to have seen Deacon Jones play, but I have seen plenty of film on him. Just a tremendous player/pass rusher. Every older football fan that I have talked to that had seen him play Mentions two things: 1.The head slap & rule change; 2. Compares his dominance to that of Reggie White. He should definitely be at number 1 and I think Reggie would agree.

:peaceout:

How about the guy who had 17 sacks in ONE GAME, before they even had the term 'sack'.

That's the kind of **** that I can only see happening on Madden.

Hes not even on the list just because of the fact they didn't keep stats on that but if they did he would still hold the records of most career sacks. He played for the eagles.

All homerism aside that list is a solid one. Everyone on there belongs there. :2cents: I was actually speaking to my father this morning about this and he said Gino Marchetti should be considered top3. Used the word "animal" when describing him. :D Don't know about that since it was way before my time.

Archived