Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Netwrork's Top 10 All-Time Pass Rushers

skinsaddict2621

One thing to note, they didn't show a single clip of Bruce Smith in a Redskins uni.

Why would they?

I'm getting really tired of this "the media is in a conspiracy against us! look at how we got shafted here!" shtick.

There is no reason to lay claim to Bruce Smith or think that the media would show him in our uniform. He played 15 years in Buffalo, during which time he went to multiple Super Bowls with them. He had 200 sacks in his career, and 171 of them came in Buffalo. 85.5% of his sacks came with one team. Why would they show clips of him as a Redskin? We only had him for 4 years at the end of his career. Nobody other than Redskins fans think of him as anything other than a Buffalo Bill.

So quit crying foul. That act is getting really old on this site.

I saw this on NFL network and they didint even give an honorable mention to ANY Redskin pass rusher. I was suprised not to see Mann or Dexter get one of those. the reason they gave for not having LT at #1 was because he was a linebacker and free to roam around.

I ususally hate lists and rankings type things because they are so subjective, but the NFL top ten I love. I get to see guys I have never heard of before like Gino Marchetti and Doug Atkins. What blew me away in this show was an honorable mention to an Eagles lineman from the 50's,I cant remeber his name (nickname was wildman) but he "unoffically" recorded 17 sacks in one game.

NOTE: one of the funniest things I ever saw on Top 10 was the fat Pittsburgh radio guy not being able to wrap his head around how the late 80's to early 90's New Orleans Saints had a better linebackng core than his precious 70 Steelers:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, Dexter definitely belongs on there.

Kevin Greene? Please.

LT should be ahead of Reggie White.

I agree that Dexter should be on there but I think Reggie White is in the right place. In terms of pure pass rushing (and being a great human being) White is (was, R.I.P.) the man. In terms of being a feral animal that happened to have a human shape and could do pretty much anything, including rush the passer, LT wins.

One thing to note, they didn't show a single clip of Bruce Smith in a Redskins uni.

And I would disagree with this list, I would have Reggie White at #1.

Personally, I'd like to forget Bruce Smith's time in a Redskins uniform. Near the end, he kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

Deacon Jones created the "sack" before it was known as a "sack." Without him, there is no Reggie White. I must admit, also, that I'm surprised Dexter didn't make the top ten. At his peak, offenses had to adjust their game around where he lined up.

I was about to ask why, but then I saw your age...

If you could tell me who Doug Atkins played for without doing a google search, then I might believe that you had enough of a sense of history to name the best pass rushers ever...& not just "the best pass-rushers I can see on youtube". :D

Sorry to tweak you because of your age, but other folks who have been around football for a lot longer time than you or I talk about Jones as having the "unofficial" sack record.

When the NFL implements a rule change against a move solely because you're too effective in using it...well, then you're on hallowed ground.

The "head slap" rule is in the NFL because of Deacon Jones, just like the clothesline rule is there because of Night train Lane.

I loved watching White & Taylor play (Except when they were performing mayhem on the Skins, of course). However, I totally agree with putting Deacon #1.

Roy Williams got the horse collar outlawed. He's not so great.

What would the list have looked like if Reggie White were allowed to head slap?

My suspicion has always been that Deacon Jones was nowhere near as good as a lot of the old-timers love to claim he was. I mean, I simply have a hard time accepting that he had 27 sacks in a 14 game-season in a run-first era whereas the record for 16 games in a pass-first era is 22.5.

There are just too many Paul Bunyan type stories attached to him.

Dexter's problem is that he really only had 4 solid years and only 2 great years in terms of sacks. He just didn't play enough. If you had to list the best single seasons for sack artists, he should be in the Top 5 though.

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=MANLEDEX01

Why isn't Warren Sapp on this list? To do what he did as an entire lineman is incredible.

I think its b.s. that Deacon Jones gets put #1. Slapping someone in the head may have been legal but it's still cheap. He didn't beat his opponents but rather cheated them. It takes away from what the others have done by putting Jones on the list.

I think its b.s. that Deacon Jones gets put #1. Slapping someone in the head may have been legal but it's still cheap. He didn't beat his opponents but rather cheated them.
Actually he did beat his opponent............Senseless!!!:silly:

He was a pressure machine and although having a "legal" slap move, that was not the only way he reached the QB. He was big, quick and beat his opposition fair and square many times. He was often double teamed or chipped and blocked, yet consistently got to the QB. Deacon deserves to be there. :2cents:

Archived