Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hand Of God????

CrypticVillain

I am trying to forget about the 06 season but I had to go back one more time.

Yes we all know about the Cowboys game in November, and how the end was crazy and one of the best moments in Redskins history and blah blah blah. But I didn't know we had a name for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_rivalries_in_the_NFL

Signature moment: The "Hand of God" game occurred on November 5, 2006 at FedEx Field when the Redskins won through a most unusual series of events. With the game tied 19-19, Redskins kicker Nick Novak missed a 49 yard field goal attempt, turning the ball back to Dallas on downs. The ensuing plays, in turn, set up for Dallas' Mike Vanderjagt, the most accurate kicker in NFL history, to try for a 35-yard field goal with 6 seconds remaining. The kick was blocked by Redskins’ safety Troy Vincent and picked up by the Redskins' Sean Taylor. Taylor returned the kick to the Cowboys' 44-yard line with no time left on the clock. However, the Cowboys' Kyle Kosier committed a 15-yard facemask penalty on Taylor during the return, which caused the game to be extended by one untimed down. From 47 yards out, Nick Novak made the game winning field goal to send the Cowboys back to Dallas with an unexpected loss

If somebody posted this my bad but the search is acting up. But all of the rivalries n the NFL is a pretty good read. Check em out if you can, becasue it is the off season and this is the most hyped I will get about football until training camp.

It has a lot of moments, but I was just talking about this one.

But here it is right here:

Signature moment: Perhaps the most remembered contest of this rivalry was the NFC Championship game at RFK Stadium in 1982, where the rivalry was personified with the entire stadium chanting "We Want Dallas!" throughout the game. The game was highlighted by Redskins guard Darryl Grant high-stepping into the end zone to add insult to the Redskins 31-17 victory

techinically, "The Hand of God" play was 2 years ago when Lamar Marshall deflected a pass to himself with one hand and then picked the pass off against, i believe philly but it might have been against another team.

techinically, "The Hand of God" play was 2 years ago when Lamar Marshall deflected a pass to himself with one hand and then picked the pass off against, i believe philly but it might have been against another team.

beat me to it, but that's what i thought too.

I thought the "hand of god" term was coined when referring to the Lemar Marshall interception in week 17 of 2005 in Philly. When he just threw his hand into the air and barely tipped the ball and then intercepted it.

I do remember that play. But The first time I knew about "Hand of God" was when I read this article. But I will take some more Skins knowledge.

What about the other "miracle" against Dallas that I don't hear about anymore?

We were defending champs (1991) which means the game was in the 1992 season. We were still at RFK...never really getting back to that 1991 form. After a punt or a kickoff the Cowboys were pinned at their 1 inch line looks like. Fans screaming as usual Troy Aikman goes back to pass he pumps once then drops the ball, Emmitt Smith picks it up almost is tackled for a safety, but he fumbles the ball and it is "pounced" on by a Redskin defender! Can't remember who, ball all I remember was the annoucer saying "Touchdown Washington Redskins Defense!" Does anyone remember this? Enlighten me if my fact are off.

HAIL

The Hand of God is from soccer. Maradona's cheating goal that didnt get called

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_God_goal

I thought it was one of my favorite Redskins moments since I was actually there. I would call it Novak's Redemption or Sean Taylor is a Dangerous.......

Damnit, you beat me to it! Yeah, Argentina's Diego Maradona has the play that will always be called "The Hand of God". Can't take it away from him. Regardless:

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Hand of God = Diego Maradona v. England, World Cup, 1986.

So we should find another name for it.

Speaking as an Englishman I can assure you that the phrase 'hand of God' is not one I want to recall!

It was indeed first used in a sporting context when that footballing genius (but drug addicted cheating barsteward) Maradonna beat England in the 1986 World Cup Quarter Finals by fisting the ball into the goal for the Argentines first goal of the game. We lost 2-1. To be fair - and I am in no mood to be fair over this game even though it was 20 years ago (my God am I THAT old) he also scored their second goal with a brilliant piece of individual skill and genius.

After the game he was asked about the first goal and he said somthing like 'it was scored a bit with the head of Maradona and bit with the hand of God'.

Here is a link to the wikipedia section on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_God_goal

Not good memories for me.

Now back to the Redskins ........

Okay so I don't know what to call the Vincent block of Vanderjagt...When I talk about I just describe what happened. I just wanted to throw in the fact that that game and play was extra special for me.

I've been a Redskin fan since I was about 6 years old and lived all over the country. However, living in Maryland the last 3 years I had still never made it to FedEx for a game. Well my birthday is in late December and before we left school for break my girlfriend thought to give me my present early. Two tickets to the Dallas game at FedEx. When we met up on the Metro on the way over there she had a bag with her...in it was a Sean Taylor jersey. I was pumped.

The game was fun and just the atmosphere at FedEx was everything I'd hoped for and more. It was so gratifying to finally make it to a home game (I saw them play the Cardinals in '03 when I lived in AZ...Tony Banks played QB...yeah). Anyways, the game was great but when Novak missed that FG and Romo sits to pee hit Whitten for that huge completion that put them in FG range my stomach sunk. I couldn't believe my first FedEx game we were gonna lose to Dallas on a last minute FG. I was so bummed, but part of me thought something might happen. Sure enough Vincent immortalized himself in the hearts of every Redskin fan and Sean Taylor did what he does best. We got a little help from Dallas and then Novak somehow put it through. Every fan and that staduim was going nuts. One of the best moments of my life. I feel very lucky to have my first game be such an immortal one.

Anyways, whatever happens, that play was amazing and I'll always have a soft spot for Vincent.

-Vip

More people watch the World Cup then the SuperBowl so I think that takes a little bit of precedent in this case. And that it happened way before.

doesn't matter, it still doesn't count. that's like saying more people watch the olympics then the super bowl by the way. people are rooting for the country not the team necessarily.

besides, it's soccer. it doesn't count, they don't use their hands.

Archived