Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler Blog is Back--Wade

rtandler

By popular demand (OK, my dad and cousin asked about it) the Tandler Redskins Blog is back. On Todd Wade's move to guard:

The pulling, though, could be a different animal. If he can’t pull it off athletically, no amount of coaching or prodding will be able to make him effective in this area. Gibbs, Saunders and company will either have to adjust or find someone else for the position (Will Whittacker, anyone?)

I'll be posting a couple of times a week so check it out from time to time if you're so inclined:

blog.RedskinsGames.com

Its not something im really worried about. Worst case scenario, he cant start at Guard, and instead backups the tackles and someone else(whos quite capable) fills the guard spot.

I think the Oline will be the least of our worries this season.

Nice little read. Thanks Rich.

We will not see if this "experiment" will work until Wade gets into pre-season game action.

What is interesting (and a bit worrisome, quite frankly) is that we have heard very little from the coaches reguarding Wade's progress ... typically they at least say he is "making progress" or some such.

Maybe I've missed those comments, but I haven't heard much at all. I'm not really sure if that is a good or bad sign :paranoid: .

The Wade move should be a concern. Thinking about it more, it worries me and it could be a serious hamper in the o-line this season

Worries me, too. Not that Dockery was world-class, but at least he was playing LG and you knew what we had.

I think we should all sit back and wait for the scrimmage against the Ravens, who are a pretty stout team defensively. That should be a decent barometer of how Wade will do. I know that come August 4th, I'll be watching a couple of things.

1. Jason Campbells presence and ability to execute the offense.

2. How Wade deals with the transition.

3. How the D-Line holds up.

4. Of course, how our new safety picks up the speed of the game.

i just can't see a counter trey with him and samuels.

I can see it happening and i think if Wade gets his technique down it will a thing of beauty to watch. Wade and Samuels are BIG guys and just imagine them clearing the way for CP. And then have Sellers in there too Clinton should just get behind them and let them clear the way.

I think pulling is less of a concern than the leverage issue. Dockery was subpar in open space. In fact, that's probably the one remaining hole in his game: that when he pulls into space he has a 50/50 chance of whiffing on his blocks. Portis even admitted this in his infamous radio blowup at the end of last season, that Dockery could not block in open space.

When Wade started last season vs. the Saints, he missed a block in the open field on a screen pass. That was the only mistake I saw him make that game. Honestly, if he sucks in open space it wont be that much of a difference between him and Dockery.

I've got to think that Whitticker, who started 14 games for the Packers as a rookie two years ago, would have the inside track if Wade can't cut it. He filled in for Thomas on the first unit during minicamp, and that would seem to provide a pretty clear reading of the tea leaves.

But Wade will be given every chance and then some to earn the starting job. They didn't pay him a $3.5 million signing bonus to get a quick look and then go back to being a backup tackle.

i hope wade works out. but the best thing i heard was that bramlet might push brunell for the #2 spot. i hope so cause he cant be worse than that noodle arm brunell. heck there are probably some people on this board that are better than brunell.

The Wade move should be a concern. Thinking about it more, it worries me and it could be a serious hamper in the o-line this season
I can understand your concern about the change at the LG position. But is there anything in particular that concerns you about Wade being there?

Or are there a lot of concerns? :)

I think we should all sit back and wait for the scrimmage against the Ravens, who are a pretty stout team defensively. That should be a decent barometer of how Wade will do. I know that come August 4th, I'll be watching a couple of things.

1. Jason Campbells presence and ability to execute the offense.

2. How Wade deals with the transition.

3. How the D-Line holds up.

4. Of course, how our new safety picks up the speed of the game.

You will learn none of that from the scrimmage.

You will have an idea about some of that by the third pre-season game.

What's up with Pucillo? He has a total of 16 starts in his career at guard and a year under his belt with Buges and the system. He would have to be a better fit than Whittaker at this point, no?

Pucillo is a backup for multiple positions, including the primary backup Center. He's probably better off for us in a reserve role.

Jason

The only thing that I forsee being a problem for wade is the fact that the leverage can be a problem.

Mark May was one of the original 'Hogs' back in the day. He started as a right guard and then moved to tackle to replace George Starke. He was 6' 6'' and weighed about 290 (which was big back in the early 80's).

Also don't forget Dockery was a College tackle who converted to guard.

Bottom line Wade has size, talent and NFL experience. If he commits himself to the position I think he could actually end up being a more consistent LG than Dockery.

i hope wade works out. but the best thing i heard was that bramlet might push brunell for the #2 spot. i hope so cause he cant be worse than that noodle arm brunell. heck there are probably some people on this board that are better than brunell.

Mark Brunell will be one of the better back up QBs in the NFL next year. Great veteran guy to come in a finish a game or start for a week or two - but not a guy you can count on for 16 games anymore. Also a great guy to have around the locker room and helping with a young QBs development. I know some people on this Board hate the guy but some of the comments about him are just silly in my opinion.

There is virtually no chance that Bramlet will be the #2 this year. Next year maybe if he shows us something this camp and preseason.

Archived