Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTEM Reports One Vet QB Will Be Released

ouvan59

This might actually be the first real battle between Saunders and Gibbs. We all know Gibbs has a man-crush on Mark and Al is the reason Todd is here.

Get the popcorn ready for all of the rumors that will be passed around about disagreements between the two coaches. The FO should prepare the three sentence statement of denial now.

Typically ignorant post.

Coach Gibbs will keep who he thinks is the best choice to back-up Campbell. Not base it on who is his buddy. :doh:

From the looks of it, it will most likely be Brunell. He has the most experience. It depends on how healthy he is as well.

As someone else has already mentioned, Collins has thrown like a mere handful of passes in a decade. That's not someone I would want to rely on should (God forbid) Campbell get injured.

Brunell's problem isn't his ability to play QB. His problem is durability.

He just can't start a full 16 game season anymore. However, he is not being asked to. He is just being asked to play back-up. Given his strengths, he is now perfect for that role.

That is what Gibbs is going to factor his decision on. Not who he is more friendly with. :rolleyes:

Give Gibbs more credit than that.

Typically ignorant post.

Coach Gibbs will keep who he thinks is the best choice to back-up Campbell. Not base it on who is his buddy. :doh:

From the looks of it, it will most likely be Brunell. He has the most experience. It depends on how healthy he is as well.

As someone else has already mentioned, Collins has thrown like a mere handful of passes in a decade. That's not someone I would want to rely on should (God forbid) Campbell get injured.

Brunell's problem isn't his ability to play QB. His problem is durability.

He just can't start a full 16 game season anymore. However, he is not being asked to. He is just being asked to play back-up. Given his strengths, he is now perfect for that role.

That is what Gibbs is going to factor his decision on. Not who he is more friendly with. :rolleyes:

Give Gibbs more credit than that.

gibbs has made bad decisions with brunell. brunell should have been out of there in game 5 last season, but gibbs loves vets and doesnt like giving up on guys, and the team suffered. brunell was blatantly incapable of running our offense last year, and i dont think he had a single good game. the jags game maybe, but he got sooo lucky in overtime throwing into triple coverage for moss. the houston game was a joke.

either way, im not sure brunell is even capable of being a decent QB anymore. hes had injury concerns the past 2 seasons, and hes 36 and looked dreadful in the one game he came in for campbell last season. if brunell can prove to everyone that he can stretch the field then i will be proven wrong, but the guy just cannot throw a pass far anymore. him admitting that the ever so complicated cover 2 was a problem for him is even more pathetic.

gibbs has made bad decisions with brunell. brunell should have been out of there in game 5 last season, but gibbs loves vets and doesnt like giving up on guys, and the team suffered. brunell was blatantly incapable of running our offense last year, and i dont think he had a single good game. the jags game maybe, but he got sooo lucky in overtime throwing into triple coverage for moss. the houston game was a joke.

Last I checked, Brunell didn't play defense. Considering that the defense gave up an average of 24 points a game when he started, it is hard to win anything like that.

Jason

Once MB proves he is healthy from his arm problems then TC will be cut, this is just common sense really. JG always has a vet QB around and the drafting of two QB's in the draft made this move quite predictable (as most have said he wouldn't be around since around January). The progress of Bramlet in Europe is merely a very pleasant surprise that makes TC's departure even more of common sense move.

Last I checked, Brunell didn't play defense. Considering that the defense gave up an average of 24 points a game when he started, it is hard to win anything like that.

Jason

offensive points during brunell

minny - 16

dal - 3

houston - 31

jax - 36

giants - 3

tenn - 22

indy - 15

dal - 22

phi - 3

3 offensive points during our division games away. im not even gonna bother explaining how embarrassing that was for him, including us as fans. thats 16 points per game for our offense. unless you have a #1 defense, thats not gonna win you games. only 3 teams in the entire NFL held opponents to under 16 PPG last year. he couldnt physically stretch the field, and when he tried, he just threw interceptions. like when he tried to throw a deep pass in week 2 and was picked by roy williams, or like when we had a minute left in the game against Tenn at home and instead of trying to get a drive going, he heave bombed into quadruple coverage to moss for a pick? the guy flat out sucked. the only thing he did well was throw worthless dumpoffs to ladel betts on 3rd and 14.

the fact some of you feel comfortable having #8 trot out on to the field if something goes wrong with campbell is beyond scary.

BTW just for craps and giggles.

Cutting Todd Collins save 1.25 mil off the cap.

Cutting Mark Brunell

Outright Cut = 2007 Cap number = 3.522 - 4.628 = An extra cap charge of 1.1 mil over his current cap hit.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOABLE

You know we could just cut them both and make it a cap savings of 150 K :applause: :laugh:

More realistic of the unrealistic cutting Brunnel possibilities.

Using a June 1st cut

Saves 2 mil this year and makes his next year numbers

6.516 cap number - 3.113 remaining bonus money due = A cap savings next year of 3.403

Man I wish they would just cut him and be done with it, but we know Saint Joe won't do it. Loves him some vets

Jason

While I agree our defense didn't do us any favors, Brunell was very frustrating last year. He fell back into the habit of throwing the ball away way too quickly and never let the receivers get into their routes sufficiently. He did this in 2004 and I think it may have been infamiliarity with the offense. One thing that I've hated about Brunell, even in his good year with us, is his refusal to sometimes throw the ball to a receiver in single coverage even if he is well covered and let them make a play. You see good QBs do this all the time with good success particularly on the intentional underthrows on deep routes. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

While I agree our defense didn't do us any favors, Brunell was very frustrating last year. He fell back into the habit of throwing the ball away way too quickly and never let the receivers get into their routes sufficiently. He did this in 2004 and I think it may have been infamiliarity with the offense. One thing that I've hated about Brunell, even in his good year with us, is his refusal to sometimes throw the ball to a receiver in single coverage even if he is well covered and let them make a play. You see good QBs do this all the time with good success particularly on the intentional underthrows on deep routes. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

brunell was worse than frustrating. even in the two games where he did "well" he made some retarded throws. that throw in overtime to moss vs the jags was horrendous and should never have been thrown. triple coverage in overtime against a top 5 D. sooo lucky he got that off. horrendous QB. he had a nice stretch in 05, then reverted back to his 04 self.

theres a reason the jags were going to cut him. and we gave a 3rd rounder for him. but thats another story for another thread.

gibbs has made bad decisions with brunell. brunell should have been out of there in game 5 last season, but gibbs loves vets and doesnt like giving up on guys, and the team suffered.

It as nothing to do with giving up on anyone. Campbell simply wasn't ready. And game 5 was too early to give up on the season. Hindsight is easy.

brunell was blatantly incapable of running our offense last year, and i dont think he had a single good game.

Brunell, it turns out, was playing with a badly injured shoulder. It was bad enough that he had to have surgery on it in the off-season.

That is Brunell's problem. It's not his ability, it is his durability. He just can't stay healthy for a 16-game season. So he is just not starter material anymore

the jags game maybe, but he got sooo lucky in overtime throwing into triple coverage for moss. the houston game was a joke.

Typical of a hater, when Brunell DOES play well, you dismiss it as luck, someone else made him look good, a mirage, etc.... :rolleyes:

either way, im not sure brunell is even capable of being a decent QB anymore. hes had injury concerns the past 2 seasons, and hes 36 and looked dreadful in the one game he came in for campbell last season. if brunell can prove to everyone that he can stretch the field then i will be proven wrong, but the guy just cannot throw a pass far anymore. him admitting that the ever so complicated cover 2 was a problem for him is even more pathetic.

It was a problem for him b/c of his injured shoulder. He couldn't challenge down field b/c he couldn't throw it down there.

He is healthier now. As JJ said in his mini-camp reports, Brunell was throwing the ball down field. His timing was off, but that will come back as he practices more.

All Brunell is being asked to do is back-up Campbell this year. Since he won't have to go through the grind of a 16 game season, his main issue (durability) shouldn't be a factor.

Brunell is the best option. Collins has practically no regular season game experience, and Bramlet and Palmer certainly aren't ready.

What we hope for most is for Campbell to stay completely healthy. If something does happen, and Jason does have to sit for a couple of games, I'm comfortable with Brunell's verteran experience.

brunell was worse than frustrating. even in the two games where he did "well" he made some retarded throws. that throw in overtime to moss vs the jags was horrendous and should never have been thrown. triple coverage in overtime against a top 5 D. sooo lucky he got that off. horrendous QB. .

Nevermind the fact that he threw the ball perfectly in between the Safety and the Corner, where only Moss could get it, and where THERE WAS NO OTHER GUY THERE TO MAKE TRIPLE COVERAGE MR. I-NEED-TO-EXAGGERATE-TO-PROVE-MY-POINT. Face it, you're a hater just because it feels good and a lot of people agree with you about it.

It must be real hard to post about how Brunell sucks and not take into account all the other factors that contributed to his and our entire offenses' dismal play last season. You're forgetting that in those games against division rivals we were shut down running the ball too, right? Tell me, how many QBs in this league can play well without, at the very least, an average Defense AND without being able to run the ball effectively? Add in the fact that he had to learn a very complicated offense that no team has done that well with in the first season, and it looks like you have nothing to go on.

I mean, are you kidding me?

Did you not watch the games, or are you simply filled with so much venom and anger that your eyes have ceased to work properly?

Archived