Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTEM Reports One Vet QB Will Be Released

ouvan59

Picking Collns over Brunell is ridicules......given Brunells record vs Collins

Vets are important to the squad, so one stays

Some negatives on Brunell will be rectified this season (durability/Injury, learning curve)

I am real happy with Brunell at #2

Let the Brunell Bashers rank all the #2 QBs in the league to prove/disprove my opinion (our #2 beats some #1s!!!!!)

I am happy with Bramlet at #3 (if NFLE success translates)

#4 is interesting and somewhat irrelevant (lets hope)

HTTR

From the JC Live on NFL Network

For those of you who think Brunell didn't contribute much to the 2005 playoff run:

Mark Brunell 2005 Stats (per nfl.com) : http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1032

16 Games 262/454 57.7% 3,050 YDS 6.72 YPA 23 TD 10 INT 85.9 rating

Brunell had a Probowl year, but was beaten out by Michael Vick, who finished with a 73.1 rating.

And for all of you who said there were plenty of back-ups better than Brunell, I will use my patented League Depth Chart Visual Evidence Argument:

Atlanta: Joey Harrington, Chris Redman

New Orleans: Jamie Martin, Jason Fife

Carolina: David Carr, Brett Basanez

Tampa: Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski

NY Giants: Anthony Wright, Jared Lorenzen

Philadelphia: AJ Feeley, Kelly Holcomb, Kevin Kolb

Dallas: Brad Johnson, Isaiah Stanback

Chicago: Brian Griese, Kyle Orton

Green Bay: Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin

Minnesota: Brooks Bollinger, Tyler Thigpen

Detroit: Dan Orlovsky, Drew Stanton

St. Louis: Gus Frerotte, Ryan Fitzpatrick

San Francisco: Trent Dilfer, Shaun Hill

Seattle: Seneca Wallace, David Greene

Arizona: Kurt Warner

New England: Matt Cassel, Vinny Testaverde

Buffalo: Craig Nall, Trent Edwards

Miami: Chris Lemon, John Beck

NY Jets: Kellen Clemons, Marques Tuiasosopo

Cincinnati: Doug Johnson, Jeff Rowe

Baltimore: Kyle Boller, Troy Smith

Cleveland: Charlie Frye, Ken Dorsey (I'm assuming Quinn will sign and start 1st game of season, if he doesn't get injured)

Pittsburgh: Charlie Batch, Brian St. Pierre

Indianapolis: Jim Sorgi, John Navarre

Jacksonville: David Garrard, Quinn Gray

Tennessee: Kerry Collins

Houston: Sage Rosenfels, Bradlee Van Pelt

Denver: Patrick Ramsey, Preston Parsons

Kansas City: Damon Huard, Casey Printers

San Diego: Billy Volek, Charlie Whitehurst

Oakland: Andrew Walter, Josh McCown

Mark Brunell's stats from his most recent season (while injured):

9 GS/ 10 GP: 162/260 62.3 % 1789 YDS 6.88 YPA 8 TD 4 INT 86.5 rating

Back-ups better than Brunell:

Duante Culpepper (I'm assuming nobody will sign him unless he agrees to it, he might have the option to battle for the starting spot)

Jeff Garcia

Brian Griese (I don't agree with it, but it could be argued since he did good as a starter, and is a solid back-up)

Damon Huard: He was listed as the back up on KCs depth chart. If he isn't starting, that is a good back up. He had 11 TDs and only 1 INT. He's young also, and apparently has a decent knowledge of the system. If Huard is listed as the starter right now, then disregard this.

David Carr: IMO, Car is a good QB, screwed over by the line in Houston.

Kurt Warner

Arguable Non-Mentions:

Chris Simms: Has only had one good year. Brunell was better than him that year.

Aaron Rodgers: Hasn't done anything yet

Seneca Wallace: Won a couple of games last season in place of an injured Matt Hasselbeck, but despite that he still hasn't done much.

Charlie Batch: Did ok as a back up

David Garrard: Has done well as a back up QB, but throws almost as many INTs as TDs

Shouldn't Be Considered But Some Will Still Try:

Joey Harrington

AJ Feeley

Kelly Holcomb

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Kyle Boller

Charlie Frye

Billy Volek

Patrick Ramsey

That's 5, maybe 6. If you are only counting the immediate back-ups, then Brunell is better than 26 of the 32 players. Meaning Brunell is better than 81.25% of the leagues immediate back ups. Out of all the 2nd and 3rd QBs in the league, Brunell is better than 58 out of the 64, or 90%.

If you include the arguable non-mentions I listed, than Brunell is still better than 21 of the 32 immediate back ups, or 65%.

In either case, Brunell is not only clearly better than half the leagues immediate back up QBs, he is actually better than 80+ % of them.

Also, if you look back a few pages, I showed stats that showed Brunell and JC had similar success in throwing the long ball. Brunell was 62% on passes attempted of 11+ yards (23 out of 37 attempted). JC was 65% (15 out of 23 attempted). BLC came up with some 34% figure on third down, but that was shot down as well. The dissenters have been quiet since I posted those stats.

The only concerns with Brunell are his injuries. Every time he gets injured, it's downhill from there. As a back-up, those injury concerns are gone. A fresh, rested, healthy Mark Brunell can be very effective, as we witnessed at the beginning of '05. If he has to come in for a few games, MB rested and our RB duo can defintiely put up points.

Frankly, I think its time that the Skins cut ties with both the veteran QBs.

It's time this organization starts taking calculated risks, and begin a youth movement. There are a number of talented youngsters that can help this team.

Gibbs is past his prime, and his mantra about "getting/keeping vetrans" is STUPID! Keep them if they are worth keeping, or else junk them. Don't think Booneell or Collins are worth keeping. If I had to choose, I would pick Collins - he knows Al Saunders system better than Boonell... who can't get a pass more than 5 yards pass the line of scrimmage (other than the Dallas game)

I don't know Brunell's cap figures but he could be ok in a few spot starts if Campbell gets roughed up.

(I hate Brunell as a 16 game starter but he is an ok backup)

Collins was only here last year because:

A) He knew the system

B) Campbell was not ready to step in (youth and new system)

Campbell and Brunell now are going on year 2 in the system and Campbell is ready.

Collins has no place on this team.

Your 3rd QB should be a young guy who is learning and has upside.

It's time this organization starts taking calculated risks, and begin a youth movement. There are a number of talented youngsters that can help this team.

Gibbs is past his prime, and his mantra about "getting/keeping vetrans" is STUPID!

So having two QB's with 7 combined starts on your roster is not considered a calculated risk? Do you know what a calculated risk is?

I don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of Mark Brunell when he's still a perfectly capable game manager that can come in if (god forbid!) Jason gets hurt at all. Personally I'd be alot more at ease if Brunell stepped in rather then Jordan Palmer, Sam Hollenbach, or even Casey Bramlett. In a year after he's studied our system, then I'd be willing to hand him the #2 keys, but not yet.

Collins is gone if this report is true. He makes more then some backups in this league. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of Mark Brunell when he's still a perfectly capable game manager that can come in if (god forbid!) Jason gets hurt at all. Personally I'd be alot more at ease if Brunell stepped in rather then Jordan Palmer, Sam Hollenbach, or even Casey Bramlett. In a year after he's studied our system, then I'd be willing to hand him the #2 keys, but not yet.

Collins is gone if this report is true. He makes more then some backups in this league. :rolleyes:

Amen.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

From the JC Live on NFL Network

Also, if you look back a few pages, I showed stats that showed Brunell and JC had similar success in throwing the long ball. Brunell was 62% on passes attempted of 11+ yards (23 out of 37 attempted). JC was 65% (15 out of 23 attempted). BLC came up with some 34% figure on third down, but that was shot down as well. The dissenters have been quiet since I posted those stats.

The only concerns with Brunell are his injuries. Every time he gets injured, it's downhill from there. As a back-up, those injury concerns are gone. A fresh, rested, healthy Mark Brunell can be very effective, as we witnessed at the beginning of '05. If he has to come in for a few games, MB rested and our RB duo can defintiely put up points.

Amen. People like to pretend that all Brunell did is 'manage' the game when he was in there. Totally unfair. He outright won some pretty big games for us. He's clearly on the downside of his career, and has his limitations, but he'd give us one of the most capable backups in the league. And, assuming the other aspects of our offense play up to potential, our season would hardly be 'over' if JC went down and Mark had to step in.

......The only concerns with Brunell are his injuries.....If he has to come in for a few games, MB rested and our RB duo can defintiely put up points.

Nice work on the QBs list Elkabong82!

You demonstrated the point very concretely, Thank You

Brunell Bashers that read it might learn them some football

It's all a matter of opinion. I am one that wishes Brunell was gone! There is plenty of QBs on that list I would rather have than Mark Brunell.

Harrington

Carr

Anothony Wright

Brad Johnson (and I am not a B.J. fan)

Griese

Frerotte

Warner

Cassel

Rosenfels

Ramsey (he outplayed him when he was here)

and thier are other guys that I am not sure about like Charlie Batch, I dont know who is better of the two. But I know that Mark is making starting QB money and thier isn't a team in the NFL who he could start for that Joe Gibbs isn't the head coach of! If Gibbs was straight up Collins would outplay Brunell in the preseason. And please save me the preseason doesnt mean anything garbage, it was everything to Gibbs when Brunell was outplaying Ramsey in preseason.

bramlet will make the roster with all of the work hes doing in europe, and he deserves it. collins is gone, and palmer should get the work for the practice squad, we can ditch hollenbach.

Definitely agree with that, the only way it could be better than that is to get rid of Brunell and Collins, then slide Bramlet into the #2 slot and Palmer as #3...

It's all a matter of opinion. I am one that wishes Brunell was gone! There is plenty of QBs on that list I would rather have than Mark Brunell.

Harrington

Carr

Anothony Wright

Griese

Frerotte

Warner

Cassel

Rosenfels

and thier are other guys that I am not sure about like Charlie Batch, I dont know who is better of the two. But I know that Mark is making starting QB money and thier isn't a team in the NFL who he could start for that Joe Gibbs isn't the head coach of! If Gibbs was straight up Collins would outplay Brunell in the preseason. And please save me the preseason doesnt mean anything garbage, it was everything to Gibbs when Brunell was outplaying Ramsey in preseason.

Still like B.J. and was actually upset when we traded Rosenfels after the last game of the Pre-season, as I recall he was actually tearing it up...

for the most part not a bad list of back-ups, but don't really care for Wright, or Griese, and can't stand Batch...

Didn't see this posted.

I just heard on WTEM that a source inside the Redskins FO says that the Skins will not keep both Mark Brunell and Todd Collins leaving room for either Bramlet or Palmer.

YES YES YES! I never want to see that noodle armed QB in B&G ever again. Bramlet deserves a shot at the number 2 spot as far as I'm concerned. Atleast Bramlet can throw the ball past the line of scrimmage!

Lot's of speculation but numbers are numbers and we are six deep at QB. Collins will be cut and /or retained as an additional QB coach based on his knowledge of Saunders system and their friendship.

Mark will be our #2 and Bramlet should get the #3 spot this season. Palmer or Hollenbach will make the practice squad and one will be released after pre-season.

However, this will be Mark's last season with the Redskins and I believe Palmer or Hollenbach (who they release), will be resigned in the spring.

Like most of Redskin fans I look forward to the start of the season and feel good about our back up QB's for the first time in a number of years.....

Just wish I could feel the same thin about the DE's and DT's, this season. I don't like to depend on just the Blits packages to ge to the QB. Hope I'm wrong...

Harrington

Carr

Anothony Wright

Griese

Frerotte

Warner

Cassel

Rosenfels

:doh: Exactly what have any of these guys done to prove they could come right in and outplay Mark Brunell? Did you see Warner play outside of the Rams? He is horrible. Brad Johnson is the closest thing to a possibility, but not over a guy with the experence in the system and with the current recievers. I don't even know why I'm bothering. I guess the MB hate just pisses me off.

• 6 months later...
well, for all his faults Brunell is not Todd Collins :)

Collins hasn't started an NFL game since when, 1997? :laugh:

geez...........Brett Favre was a young pup back then....................

I don't think at 35 Collins has had legitimate NFL skills for some time. He is at best another coach on the field.

That is a luxury item on a team that just invested a draft choice on a quarterback and already has several million dollars tagged to another vet on the roster in #8.

If Brunell is healthy Collins will be the odd man out. That wasn't hard to figure.

Ahhhhh......it's fun to look back in time.

Go Skins!!!! Beat Seattle!!!!

Archived