Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTEM Reports One Vet QB Will Be Released

ouvan59

Nevermind the fact that he threw the ball perfectly in between the Safety and the Corner, where only Moss could get it, and where THERE WAS NO OTHER GUY THERE TO MAKE TRIPLE COVERAGE MR. I-NEED-TO-EXAGGERATE-TO-PROVE-MY-POINT. Face it, you're a hater just because it feels good and a lot of people agree with you about it.

go watch the play, theres at least two guys right near him and both whiff tackles. youre trying to tell me that mark "i cant beat the cover 2" brunell perfectly threaded a pass in between two defenders? haha, you go ahead thinking that. we'll just have a difference of opinion on that one. im not a "hater", i just dont think he played well at all, and it hurt the team. and if he was so injured, he shouldnt have been playing. supposedly he didnt injure his shoulder until the second dallas game, this "he had an injured shoulder all season" doesnt hold much weight.

It must be real hard to post about how Brunell sucks and not take into account all the other factors that contributed to his and our entire offenses' dismal play last season. You're forgetting that in those games against division rivals we were shut down running the ball too, right? Tell me, how many QBs in this league can play well without, at the very least, an average Defense AND without being able to run the ball effectively? Add in the fact that he had to learn a very complicated offense that no team has done that well with in the first season, and it looks like you have nothing to go on.

you convinced me, i mean when teams cant run, the QB obviously cant complete any passes or attempt to put up any points. my mistake. this has nothing to do with the defense, this is about his horrid performance at quarterback. his inability to stretch the field. ever think our running game sucked because teams knew brunell couldnt throw more than 10 feet, so they stacked up on us? shocker that 2 games into campbells starting, the running game opened up. if we had lost 27 to 24, blame the defense. dont blame the defense for the offense not putting up any points.

I mean, are you kidding me?

Did you not watch the games, or are you simply filled with so much venom and anger that your eyes have ceased to work properly?

no, im not kidding you. brunell was dreadful last year. him sucking doesnt fill me with venom, it makes me upset that gibbs had faith in him to lead our offense and he failed miserably.

im confused as to why me thinking brunell sucks, and our offense sucking with him at the helm, makes me a "hater" and fills me with "venom". care to offer up any defense for brunell?

youre trying to tell me that mark "i cant beat the cover 2" brunell perfectly threaded a pass in between two defenders?

Try to tell roy williams he cant beat the cover 2. And while youre at it, name the last Redskins quarterback to sweep the cowpukes. :)

:point2sky GO SCOTT!!! Super Smart

Thanks for helping out the QB's with Al's playbook Todd.

I definitely have to agree with that statement. I think his behind-the-scenes help with understanding the playbook has been woefully overlooked.

I also thank you, Todd. We'll never know the amount of credit we owe you for your help. I'm sorry about that.

I hope you get signed elsewhere.

:logo:

Collins is def gone. Best of luck to ya buddy

dont be so sure. brunell did all he could do and collins hasnt had a chance to show what he could do. plus if someone gets hurt in training camp and we need to spend money on a free agent, who can we get more space with collins' contract or brunell's. nuff said.

Try to tell roy williams he cant beat the cover 2. And while youre at it, name the last Redskins quarterback to sweep the cowpukes. :)

:point2sky GO SCOTT!!! Super Smart

ok, so he beat the cowboys twice in 05. im glad he did. he sucks now, just because he won those games doesnt mean hes good. i guess troy vincent should be our starting saftey because he was the reason we beat the cowboys in 06?

ok, so he beat the cowboys twice in 05. im glad he did. he sucks now, just because he won those games doesnt mean hes good. i guess troy vincent should be our starting saftey because he was the reason we beat the cowboys in 06?

i'm with ya. i think boonell is horrible and should have been cut after 2004. and i dont want to hear about the playoff run that was completely not his doing it was the running game and the defense who got us there. plus he should not be making more than our starter anyway. if we cut him after june 1st we can save a good amount of money.

Brunell, able to keep the defense off of the field? What I saw last season was a lot of 3rd and ????? not converted. That means three and out and the defense is back on the field. I have read every post so far and quite frankly both sides in the Brunell debate are correct. Currently, as a back up, with the other QB's on the roster, he gives us the best chance of winning. But last year, he was one of the main culprits for the defense being on the field so much. If there was a plausible alternative, I would take him. Brunell didn't win as many games as Patrick Ramsey would have won and at least Ramsey had the arm to get it downfield. He was at least a threat. I know he was two years ago, but realistically, I would rather have Patrick as the back up than Brunell. Remember the Giants game in the playoff run. If Brunell's pass to Santana vs Jacksonville was skill, then Patrick's pass to Santana vs the Giants in '05 was skill also. Now do you see the fruitlessness in debating the point. Both sides have valid and legitimate points. But the keep Brunell side wins out because there is no one else available that has the knowledge of Saunders' offense and can do what he does as a back up. Oh wait a minute, lets trade with Arizona for Kurt Warner, he has knowledge of the system. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Once Brunell proves that he can still throw the ball, Collins will be let go.

Why would he have to prove it this year when he hasn't proven it in his 3 previous seasons on the team?

They could just cut Collins and be content with Brunell's 3 yard passes on 3rd and 8.

Why would he have to prove it this year when he hasn't proven it in his 3 previous seasons on the team?

They could just cut Collins and be content with Brunell's 3 yard passes on 3rd and 8.

cmon, no one knows how to give up on 3rd and longs like mark brunell! if you ever need a guy who is gauranteed to NOT convert on 3rd down, its big mark.

well, for all his faults Brunell is not Todd Collins :)

Collins hasn't started an NFL game since when, 1997? :laugh:

geez...........Brett Favre was a young pup back then....................

I don't think at 35 Collins has had legitimate NFL skills for some time. He is at best another coach on the field.

That is a luxury item on a team that just invested a draft choice on a quarterback and already has several million dollars tagged to another vet on the roster in #8.

If Brunell is healthy Collins will be the odd man out. That wasn't hard to figure.

Collins will go. No way would they rework Mark's contract, have him go through surgery and train to come back to release him. Plus Gibbs is too loyal to Mark and Collins is far too big of a ? mark.

I do however forsee by 08 season, there no longer being any vet qb's on our roster.

cmon, no one knows how to give up on 3rd and longs like mark brunell! if you ever need a guy who is gauranteed to NOT convert on 3rd down, its big mark.

Can you find Brunell's 3rd down completion percentage from '06? He did finish with a completion percentage of 62.3, so it's kind of hard to imagine it was just him screwing up on third downs. The running game wasn't as effective and also hindered the offense at times when Brunell was in.

Last I checked, Brunell didn't play defense. Considering that the defense gave up an average of 24 points a game when he started, it is hard to win anything like that.

Jason

Last I checked Brunell was traded for 2 days before he was to be cut, given a massive contract and proceeded to get injured every season and blame our offensive troubles on either his shoulder or legs after the season was over when he should have let someone else play in his place and not let the team be dragged down by him.

And last I checked, JG ran out of town every great defender we developed in the past few years and a system QB who could have done very well here and was never given a half a chance... (in the right system with an OL that could block and some big WR's mixed in with some smurfs PR could have been the answer years ago.) JG likes his little WR's and doesnt think the Skins can live with a true tall posession WR that can run routes.

Can you find Brunell's 3rd down completion percentage from '06? He did finish with a completion percentage of 62.3, so it's kind of hard to imagine it was just him screwing up on third downs. The running game wasn't as effective and also hindered the offense at times when Brunell was in.

3rd & 0-2 50.0

3rd & 3-7 60.5

3rd & 8-10 55.0

3rd & 11+ 47.1

3rd & <6 45.5

3rd & 6+ 59.7

that averages out to about 53%. pretty weak, compared to good QBs like drew brees who converted on average 68% of his 3rd down conversions, or manning who completed 61% of his. obviously hes not those guys, but 53 isnt very good.

but heres some even more interesting stats on mark brunell. these are mind boggling.

he attempted 260 passes in 06. 70 of those pass attempts were thrown BEHIND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. thats 27% of his passes. behind the line. passes thrown 1-10 yards, he attempted 119. thats 46% of his passes thrown that short. so combined with his behind the LOS, thats 73% of his passes were thrown 10 yards or less. thats not good. the reason his completion percentage was so high is because 73% of the time he was making passes that most of us could probably make. and some of you wonder why the run game was struggling. do the math. if 3/4 times the ball is going short, why play 20 yards back?

when he did attempt to go past that, thats where his numbers get funny.

11-20 yards - 44 attempts, 15 completions - 34.1% completion rating. 17% of his passes where in this range. that is unacceptable for a professional QB in the nfl. Manning completed 68% of those passes, Brees completed 62% of those, Palmer completed 55%, Bulger completed 58% of his. 34% at a medium distance completedly KILLED our running game.

even campbell completed 49% of his 11-20 yard passes, and what do you know, our running game completely pulled a 180. 34% vs 49% is a big difference.

brunell was awful, these numbers and our offenses numbers showed it. people wonder why our receiving corp struggled this season. look no further than dump offs and passes under 10 yards 73% of the time, and a 34% completion rate from 11-20 yards for 9 games out of the season.

brunell was awful, these numbers and our offenses numbers showed it. people wonder why our receiving corp struggled this season. look no further than dump offs and passes under 10 yards 73% of the time, and a 34% completion rate from 11-20 yards for 9 games out of the season.
Wow, those stats are pretty mind boggling. Just out of curiousity, where'd you find all those?
And last I checked, JG ran out of town every great defender we developed in the past few years and a system QB who could have done very well here and was never given a half a chance... (in the right system with an OL that could block and some big WR's mixed in with some smurfs PR could have been the answer years ago.) JG likes his little WR's and doesnt think the Skins can live with a true tall posession WR that can run routes.
Crazy much? Gibbs ran who out of town? LaVar? Pierce? Are those the two guys you're referring to? Give me a break. Then you go into nonsense about Ramsey being any kind of an answer? You're beating all the dead horses at once here.

I don't think at 35 Collins has had legitimate NFL skills for some time. He is at best another coach on the field.

Hey, how do you know he's not the next Rich Gannon? He's been well preserved while Brunell has been having a surgery or 2 every offseason for 12 years now. :D

bramlet will make the roster with all of the work hes doing in europe, and he deserves it. collins is gone, and palmer should get the work for the practice squad, we can ditch hollenbach.

Question: Why would we ditch Hollenbach when all the mini-camp reports indicate he is performing better than Palmer at this point?

Archived