Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kellogg Avoids Child-Obesity Lawsuit by Announcing Product Changes

#98QBKiller

This is pathetic if you ask me. When will parents take responsibility for what their children eat? I guess it's easier to blame things on others...

Click Link for full article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070614/ap_on_he_me/kids_food

Kellogg to raise nutrition of kids' food

By MICHAEL J. SNIFFEN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Kellogg Co., the world's largest cereal maker, has agreed to raise the nutritional value of cereals and snacks it markets to children.

The Battle Creek, Mich., company avoided a lawsuit threatened by parents and nutrition advocacy groups worried about increasing child obesity. Kellogg intends to formally announce its decision Thursday.

The company said it won't promote foods in TV, radio, print or Web site ads that reach audiences at least half of whom are under age 12 unless a single serving of the product meets these standards:

_No more than 200 calories.

_No trans fat and no more than 2 grams of saturated fat.

_No more than 230 milligrams of sodium, except for Eggo frozen waffles.

_No more than 12 grams of sugar, not counting sugar from fruit, dairy and vegetables.

Kellogg said it would reformulate products to meet these criteria or stop marketing them to children under 12 by the end of 2008.

"By committing to these nutrition standards and marketing reforms, Kellogg has vaulted over the rest of the food industry," said Michael F. Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "This commitment means that parents will find it a little easier to steer their children toward healthy food choices — especially if other food manufacturers and broadcasters follow Kellogg's lead."

Well, the end result is a positive thing. But, yeah, parents need to be responsible for feeding their children healthy meals.

Exactly...I think it's insane that you can sue in this country for things you deliberately do to yourself.

Don't want your kids to get fat?

Don't let them eat whatever the hell they want.

Pretty simple. And no legal bills in the process.

Exactly...I think it's insane that you can sue in this country for things you deliberately do to yourself.

Don't want your kids to get fat?

Don't let them eat whatever the hell they want.

Pretty simple. And no legal bills in the process.

Exactly, who makes the purchases at the grocery store here, the parents or the kids? If parents are going to buy the kids whatever they want then the parents need to be punished for lack of discipline if anything, not the manufacturer.

It is the parents responsibility and I'm not if favor of lawsuits for this kind of issue, but marketing unhealthy crap to kids is in the same ballpark to me as tobacco advertising targeting youth.

These companies need to get some ethics.

The whole thing is pathetic. I was reading an article lately that talked about the egregious amount of children getting their stomachs stapled, etc. These parents have got to know better...setting their kids up to die by 35.

But instead of parental responsibility, we have a big straw man to blame -- somebody else, in this case the fact that a company makes food being the reason why kids are obese.

I wonder if I can sue the parents that are causing kellogs to get rid of my fuit loops......

These parents are idiots. I got an idea, how about instead of suing someone, you tell you fat kids NO! Its much faster, cheaper and it actually works. The only person to blame for fat kids is the parent. I think we need to have child abuse laws that cover making your kid fat.

Who do i sue for taking away my access to some delicious and fattening Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Seriously, people need to take responsibility for their own damn actions. If you are AWARE that Kelloggs products are unhealthy for your kids enough to SUE, then you are AWARE enough not to feed it to your kids.

On the other hand, some kids CAN eat unhealthy crap without getting fat, because their parents stick them on a soccer field 4 times a week.

Even though I think people are responsible for their own actions. Companies do things that are unethical to raise profits. For example, McDonalds increasing their portion sizes because it saves them money.

How is that unethical? The person that buys it doesn't have to eat it all if he doesn't want to. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. There are people that don't overdo mcdonalds or only eat it once in a blue moon and if they want to eat super-sized portions, who cares? Why should we tell them they can't? It's their own fault if something bad happens to them, they know it's fattening!

And while it's nice that Kellogg's cereals are getting healthier, I think it's ridiculous to have lawsuits over food. Unless the food is poisonous, you should not be able to sue a food manufacturer. DON'T BUY THE PRODUCT, idiots!!!!

Is another bowl of Trix really going to make these kids that fat?

There is still nutritional value in a bowl of Froot Loops with some milk.

There isn't any nutritional value in those bags of Doritos the same kids chow down after school.

Oh wait, now they're going to sue Frito Lay.......

DON'T BUY THE PRODUCT, idiots!!!!

All those of you are critical of the concept, did you read what Kelloggs are actually doing? :doh:

The issue is about whether it is right that large corporations should target kids with marketing for foods that are unhealthy. It is not whether adults should be allowed to buy unhealthy foods.

Kellogg are agreeing that their advertising which is specifically designed to appeal to kids will only be for products that meet a certain health dietary standard.

What's so hard to understand about this concept? RIF.:laugh:

I'm generally in favor of forcing companies to behave in a responsible and ethical manner--but this is absurd. Parents are the ones that buy the food, they're the ones who control portion sizes, they're the ones supposed to be teaching personal responsibility. Eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes in the morning will not make you fat--eating three bowls of Frosted Flakes and then later scarfing a box of twinkies and eating a double cheeseburger at Burger King everyday with a 42 oz Coke will. It's the parents' responsibility to ensure their kids aren't eating that junk. Lawsuits like this are a complete waste of time and money.

How is that unethical? The person that buys it doesn't have to eat it all if he doesn't want to. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. There are people that don't overdo mcdonalds or only eat it once in a blue moon and if they want to eat super-sized portions, who cares? Why should we tell them they can't? It's their own fault if something bad happens to them, they know it's fattening!

And while it's nice that Kellogg's cereals are getting healthier, I think it's ridiculous to have lawsuits over food. Unless the food is poisonous, you should not be able to sue a food manufacturer. DON'T BUY THE PRODUCT, idiots!!!!

It's unethical because the company knows when they package their products in larger size portions people will eat that portion size. You get those people use to eating larger portions (at the expense of their own health) you make a profit off of selling them more food and cost savings of buying food in bulk.

It's unethical because the company knows when they package their products in larger size portions people will eat that portion size. .

So say they double the size of the Big Mac. You buy that meal. Do you eat till your satisfied or do you think "I'm really full but I got to eat it all."

Are the majority of Americans really THAT weak minded?

All those of you are critical of the concept, did you read what Kelloggs are actually doing? :doh:

The issue is about whether it is right that large corporations should target kids with marketing for foods that are unhealthy. It is not whether adults should be allowed to buy unhealthy foods.

Kellogg are agreeing that their advertising which is specifically designed to appeal to kids will only be for products that meet a certain health dietary standard.

What's so hard to understand about this concept? RIF.:laugh:

Yes, I read what Kelloggs is doing, I was just reacting to the first part of the story as opposed to the other part of the story. As to whether large corporations can and cannot target kids with unhealthy foods... so what? Kids can practice personal responsibility as much as their parents. If a commercial for a high fat food comes on the tv, why is it such a big deal? Yes, the kid may want it, but again, the parent is the one buying the food. TELL YOUR CHILD NO! Too many parents say yes to everything.

In fact, these commercials are a good chance for parents to do some parenting and teach their child what good food choices are. It's all about self control and it's about parents teaching their children to not succumb to advertising. I don't think companies should be banned for advertising their product to younger children. Bad foods will make their way into children's diets, it's the parents' job to make sure that the kids aren't eating these foods for every single meal and every single day.

Thank you lazy parents. I am a full grown adult- or at least statisticlly I am- and I love having a bowl of over sugared, over flavoured junkie kids cereal every now and again, but because you parents are too lazy to either 1) cook a healthy meal for you kid 2) read what foods you are feeding your kids or 3) set a good example of eating healthy and regular exercise, my cereal is now going tohave all of its wonderful sugary flavour sucked right out of it.

If I wanted something healthy to eat, I'd make some oatmeal, thank you once again lazy parents, letting companies control what foods your kids eat beacuse you are obviously too stupid to do it on your own. Seriously, how do these people even manage to stay alive long enough to have kids if they cant even make simple food decisions?

This is dumb and unfair on many levels.

Parents who have zero displine over their kids eating habits, completely ruining something for adults or children who actually have that skill set.

People who start lawsuits like this should face law suits themselves for stupidity and selfishness.

I only wish these companies would stand up and take them to court and let the law figure out that what they are asking for is ridicoulus. But they won't b/c of the PR threat.

So say they double the size of the Big Mac. You buy that meal. Do you eat till your satisfied or do you think "I'm really full but I got to eat it all."

Are the majority of Americans really THAT weak minded?

I wouldn't call it weak minded. I think people eat more when there is more food on their plates.

I think America's obesity problem can be attributed to the whole deep rooted culture of food...If someone is full and doesn't finish every bite of their outrageously oversized portion, then we get on them for wasting food or ask them if they're anorexic.

The portions in any restaurant, fast food or not, are too large and the expectations are ridiculous. There's no law saying you have to eat three square meals a day or you're unhealthy. Anyone with a grandparent can agree that people pushing food on you is annoying as hell.

Same goes for kids..."finish your chicken nuggets Johnny or you can't go in the play place." MAYBE, just maybe, Johnny is full and is listening to what his body is telling him, instead of forcing every last bit of food into his stomach because America teaches us to clean our plates!

Archived