Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Coach of ALL time ?

bedlamVR

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Okay stealing an idea from another site and carrying on from the ESPN article who do you think are the best NFL coaches of ALL time . Belichick seems to be everyones pick right now but how does he rank against the greats ?

my list would be like this....

1. walsh- his west coast offense changed the nfl and is still very influential today.

2. Lombardi- there is a reason the SB trophy is named after him.

3. gibbs- would have won more then 3 if he had not retired.

4. belichick- winning 3 in the FA, salary cap era, is very impressive.

5. Shula- all time winningest and the perfect season.

Vince Lombardi:

96-34-6

9-1 playoffs

1961,1962,1965 NFL Champions

1966, 1967 Superbowl I and II champions

Honorable Mention:

George Halas, Chicago Bears:

318-148-32

6-4 playoffs

Won the following NFL Championships:

Lombardi. There's nobody else even in his league. DOMINANCE and SUPER BOWLS. What else is there to say?

That's who I picked. He won what, 3 NFL championships prior to the first 2 SB's? Hand over fist he was the best. You're right MSF, He wanted to dominate from kickoff to the final gun.

A good percentage of those coaches don't even belong in the discussion.

Where is George Halas?

It's either he or Vince Lombardi who earns the top spot for me. Though I think the slight nod goes to Halas because he won in different decades.

Bill Parcells? :laugh:

Parcells hasn't won jack without Belichick.

Most overrated coach of All time, that's the only list Bill Parcells belongs on.

That and essentially getting a Redskins franchise that hadn't done anything back on track setting Goerge Allen up nicely for the kill.

Huh?

I know Lombardi had a winning record in his one season here, but how many players did he alone bring in that were pivotal in the Skins success in the 70s? Someone with a little more historical knowledge may prove otherwise, but I find it hard to believe that Lombardi did that much to contribute to out future success.

Can't believe there's not more love for Paul Brown. He's the godfather of modern day football. A lot of his innovations are a big part of today's game. The Browns won the NFL title their first year in the league following the AAFC/NFL merger after the mainstream media said they wouldn't do crap against NFL teams. Then they went on to rule the 50s. Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Blanton Collier, Sid Gillman and Weeb Ewbank all learned under him. Brown's the one who really invented the WCO. He was also the first to open the door to African-American players.

my list would be like this....

1. walsh- his west coast offense changed the nfl and is still very influential today.

2. Lombardi- there is a reason the SB trophy is named after him.

3. gibbs- would have won more then 3 if he had not retired.

4. belichick- winning 3 in the FA, salary cap era, is very impressive.

5. Shula- all time winningest and the perfect season.

I agree with Walsh being number 1. 28-30 coaches are a part of the Bill Walsh coaching lineage

www.wikipedia.org

Can't believe there's not more love for Paul Brown. He's the godfather of modern day football. A lot of his innovations are a big part of today's game. The Browns won the NFL title their first year in the league following the AAFC/NFL merger after the mainstream media said they wouldn't do crap against NFL teams. Then they went on to rule the 50s. Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Blanton Collier, Sid Gillman and Weeb Ewbank all learned under him. Brown's the one who really invented the WCO. He was also the first to open the door to African-American players.
e

:applause:

no love for gibbs? :(

Gibbs is a good coach, but I don't think he belongs in the top 5.

Landy to me was the best. 20 straight winning seasons. Teams were always in contention. Very inventive, invented many things that are still used today.

Shula. Very similar to Landry, always in contention over a very long period. Also very inventive

Lombardi was obviously great, but short lived. Had 10 great years. Very inventive a when you think "tough coaching" you think of Lombardi

Walsh. Well, its Walsh, incredible coach.

Parcells. What he did to rebuild horrific teams is incredible. He didn't just do it once, or twice, but 3 times. Giants, Jets, New England, and no doubt he made Dallas better too, but not to the degree of the other teams.

Gibbs basically had a real good 10 year run. He had the hogs. If you have the hogs, you can basically plug in any qb or rb there and your going to win period. See Timmy Smith or Doug Williams.

A great 10 year period of coaching, but how inventive was he? He's not the only person to have a great 10 years but not be on the list. Chuck Noll, Madden, Belechick.

How inventive was Gibbs? Are you kidding me? During his tenure he had a receiver with the most catches ever in a season, a RB with the most TD's ever in a season and on a couple of occasions he had multiple recievers with 1000+ yards. In 1989 there were 3 receivers on our team with 1000+ yards.

In 1983 and in 1991 the Redskins dominated the NFL. We scored the most points ever in 1983. We scored more points that year than even the high powered Rams offense of 2000. They allowed 9 sacks all season in 1991 and went on to shut out 3 teams their first 5 games of the season.

Air Coryell was the concept modified by Gibbs that featured a power running game and included one of the most effective running plays of that whole decade, the counter trey.

I'm not here to say that Gibbs is the best of all time, but he's certainly better than Parcells. It's nice that he took a few teams and made them better, but ultimately he didn't win SB's.

How inventive was Gibbs? Are you kidding me? During his tenure he had a receiver with the most catches ever in a season, a RB with the most TD's ever in a season and on a couple of occasions he had multiple recievers with 1000+ yards. In 1989 there were 3 receivers on our team with 1000+ yards.

In 1983 and in 1991 the Redskins dominated the NFL. We scored the most points ever in 1983. We scored more points that year than even the high powered Rams offense of 2000. They allowed 9 sacks all season in 1991 and went on to shut out 3 teams their first 5 games of the season.

Air Coryell was the concept modified by Gibbs that featured a power running game and included one of the most effective running plays of that whole decade, the counter trey.

I'm not here to say that Gibbs is the best of all time, but he's certainly better than Parcells. It's nice that he took a few teams and made them better, but ultimately he didn't win SB's.

i thought parcells won 2 lol

Archived