Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Coach of ALL time ?

bedlamVR

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

How can you say HoF players were only that good because of the coach .... is Terrel Owens worse now he left the Niners? How about Matt Hasslebeck better or worse since he left GB ... Talent will out and yes Landry may have got more out of players but they had the talent there to begin with.

The point of listing the HoF players Landry had at his disposal is because someone was making the point Landry was better than Noll because Noll had 9 HoF players so was at an advantage with the bettercast of players... but of course Knoll didn't make any of the Steallers better.

You holding up 20 consecutive winning seasons is impressive but only 2 superbowls came out of 29 years of effort . That is all well and good but who is to say Gibbs if he had have coached 29 years he would have not had the same level of succsess or more ... afterall comming back after 14 years he took the floudering franchise to the second round of the playoffs ... in the years in between he also scored top flight sucsess in a totally unrelated sport ...

For cowboys fans to come here and tell us Skins fans are homeristic for saying Gibbs is better than Landry its a little like pot calling kettle

I personally never masde the argument against knoll because of his HOF players........

Gibbs didnt coach 29 years, so you cant say how he would have done. He never made it that long. Now longevity will be a negative? 20 straight years of winning season is untouchable........show my the next longest streak.

I am in no way taking away from Gibbs on a Skins site....i respect him greatly, i am just asking if he can really be ahead of Landry in the all-time great list?

Honestly - I'd say neck-and-neck, if I was forced to pick one - I'd have to go with Landry (longevity, 20 straight winning season is amazing, plus his contributions to the game). But someone said earlier I wouldn't want to live on the difference.

fair enough...they both gave to this game and the game is better off for them.

Gibbs and Landry were both innovators and did so much for the coaches of today......and it is immpresive to see Gibbs come back after 14 years and make a playoff run...honestly, it is. I say again, i am not in any way taking away from Gibbs he is 6-7 best all time.

fair enough...they both gave to this game and the game is better off for them.

Gibbs and Landry were both innovators and did so much for the coaches of today......and it is immpresive to see Gibbs come back after 14 years and make a playoff run...honestly, it is. I say again, i am not in any way taking away from Gibbs he is 6-7 best all time.

Top 5 would be:

Lombardi

Brown

Halas

Landry

Gibbs

You failed to mention inbetween those losing years, he had 20 WINNING SEASONS IN A ROW. 20. Thats a mind boggling number. Thats 5 more than Gibbs has coached seasons. He was an inovater. He was a champion. 5 NFC championships.

5 NFC Championships in 29 years, Gibbs 4 NFC championship in 11 years

hmmmmm

20 winning seasons in a row, that is why he is in the top ten, but Championship is what the game is about Gibbs had 1 more

had a better Winning percentage, and a better playoff winning percentage

Gibbs was a big a inovater as Laundry's 4-3, every hear of the H-Back.. you know the position that has just about ended the fullback? 3 WR set formations like the "bunch"?

Not to mention some of Records Gibbs teams set

how many QB's did Laundry win a Super Bowl with? one Staubach a HOF QB

Gibbs 3 none a HOF caliber, one was a journey man most of his career

He had a good 10 year run. Two superbowl wins were in strike years. So he took them to the playoffs, 2 years ago, big deal. He also had 5 wins last season.

Didn't Laundry coach in the strike years? How did the 82 NFC Championship game end for the Pokes?

In fact didn't Dallas cross the picket line to play Washington's scab team in 87? how did that turn out?

What was Landry record his last season?

And he did it with the help of 9, count em 9 hall of famers in the 70's. An unheard of number. One of those victories against the cowboys was because of a dropped pass by jackie smith. You make it seem like he owned Landry. He won both games by a total of 8 points.

Under your rationale Tom Flores was better than Gibbs cause he beat them in a superbowl. Get real.

So 4 Super Bowls isn't better than 2? Did the Steelers win or not... I mean when all things are being considered... two wins in the biggest game of the year to zero in head to head match ups has to be considered

How many HOF did Landry have? 11-12 :laugh: (and thanks for the other point...Gibbs had 1 HOF player, even if Monk finally gets in, and Green gets in .. that is only 3 total)

If Flores had the other credentials to compare to Gibbs then a head to head Super Bowl win would be in his favor

BTW the Skins beat the Raiders earlier in the Season, but the Raiders took home the Ring

you do realize Flores won as many Super Bowls as Landry?

Phhhhtttttt. Talk to me after 20 years of winning seasons. WOW.

No way was GIbbs better than Landry. Nobody outside of skins fans would agree with that, nobody and you know it.

Well since most coaches don't coach for twenty years even successful ones really not much to compare, having a winning record is nice but doesn't mean much when you can't finish the deal

Funny most article and polls I have ever read has Gibbs listed ahead of Landry

J_J Landry was a good coach, a top ten HOF coach, but he wasn't better than Gibbs

all you can hang you debate on his a 20 year winning streak, in every other category Gibbs wins out

5 NFC Championships in 29 years, Gibbs 4 NFC championship in 11 years

hmmmmm

20 winning seasons in a row, that is why he is in the top ten, but Championship is what the game is about Gibbs had 1 more

had a better Winning percentage, and a better playoff winning percentage

Gibbs was a big a inovater as Laundry's 4-3, every hear of the H-Back.. you know the position that has just about ended the fullback? 3 WR set formations like the "bunch"?

Not to mention some of Records Gibbs teams set

how many QB's did Laundry win a Super Bowl with? one Staubach a HOF QB

Gibbs 3 none a HOF caliber, one was a journey man most of his career

Didn't Laundry coach in the strike years? How did the 82 NFC Championship game end for the Pokes?

In fact didn't Dallas cross the picket line to play Washington's scab team in 87? how did that turn out?

What was Landry record his last season?

So 4 Super Bowls isn't better than 2? Did the Steelers win or not... I mean when all things are being considered... two wins in the biggest game of the year to zero in head to head match ups has to be considered

How many HOF did Landry have? 11-12 :laugh: (and thanks for the other point...Gibbs had 1 HOF player, even if Monk finally gets in, and Green gets in .. that is only 3 total)

If Flores had the other credentials to compare to Gibbs then a head to head Super Bowl win would be in his favor

BTW the Skins beat the Raiders earlier in the Season, but the Raiders took home the Ring

you do realize Flores won as many Super Bowls as Landry?

Well since most coaches don't coach for twenty years even successful ones really not much to compare, having a winning record is nice but doesn't mean much when you can't finish the deal

Funny most article and polls I have ever read has Gibbs listed ahead of Landry

J_J Landry was a good coach, a top ten HOF coach, but he wasn't better than Gibbs

all you can hang you debate on his a 20 year winning streak, in every other category Gibbs wins out

:applause: :applause: I have never seen Landry ahead of Gibbs in an all-time best coaching poll, including this 1. Any Dallas fan that belives their is one, prove it, and I mean w/ a link or something b/c I gotta see this.

I went to wikipedia and typed in Joe Gibbs and this really jumped out at me, especially the last line:

Gibbs is credited with inventing the single back, double or triple tight end set. He used it to neutralize Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor, realizing that to successfully block him with a running back was impossible; an extra tight end and a tackle were required. By having an extra tight end, it also gave more protection for the quarterback. Gibbs was also credited in creating the Trips formation; stacking three wide receivers to one side. Gibbs incorporated the shifting and motions for which his offenses were known, the formation also created a lot of mismatches and confusion among the defense that could be exploited. He is also one of the few coaches that utilizes the H-back position prominently in his offense.

Gibbs is widely considered a better coach than Tom Landry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Gibbs

Jeez... I wonder how that happened.

I went to wikipedia and typed in Joe Gibbs and this really jumped out at me, especially the last line:

Gibbs is credited with inventing the single back, double or triple tight end set. He used it to neutralize Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor, realizing that to successfully block him with a running back was impossible; an extra tight end and a tackle were required. By having an extra tight end, it also gave more protection for the quarterback. Gibbs was also credited in creating the Trips formation; stacking three wide receivers to one side. Gibbs incorporated the shifting and motions for which his offenses were known, the formation also created a lot of mismatches and confusion among the defense that could be exploited. He is also one of the few coaches that utilizes the H-back position prominently in his offense.

My guess is Captain Obvious added an entry. :obvious:

Its been repaired and pout back to its original state.

Gibbs is widely considered a notch below coach Tom Landry and only wishes he could be him. Landry was a better person as well as a better coach.

Its been repaired and pout back to its original state.

Gibbs is widely considered a notch below coach Tom Landry and only wishes he could be him. Landry was a better person as well as a better coach.

That's weird, b/c I checked Landry and it said this:

A true NFL coaching great who despite the assertion of relatively few Cowboy fans does not compare favorably to Joseph Jackson Gibbs, a great among greats. It has also been confirmed that Landry was a 76 year old virgin when he died in 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Landry#NFL_coaching_career

Weird

A true NFL coaching great who despite the assertion of relatively few Cowboy fans does not compare favorably to Joseph Jackson Gibbs, a great among greats. It has also been confirmed that Landry was a 76 year old virgin when he died in 2000.

Weird

WIKIPEDIA FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I call dibs on the Irvin Page!

not even close to accurate

both as a coach or person

Ever see North Dallas Forty? :laugh:

Seriously both Landry and Gibbs was/are two of the nice guys in a business not known for nice guy coaches..

Landry would scold you for saying that :nono:

Weird

:laugh:

You know what is great about this debate win or lose...Landry and Gibbs are class acts, that I love and respect for what they have done for this game while coaching in the greatest game in AMERICA!...being 36 years old i have seen my fair share of crap that the NFL can have come and go...players and coaches, but in my eyes you could not have two better "people" then Joe Gibbs and Tom Landry. I betcha if you asked Landry in heaven he would give the nod to Gibbs, and if you asked Gibbs, he would go with Landry!

We could be stuck with Steve Spurrier and Barryu Switzer:doh:

Seriously, If there was one copach that i would actually be ok with being rated ahead of Landry, it would be Joe Gibbs. As much as I disagree with it, i would be fine with it, just because of the person/coach that he was/is....

Archived