Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Coach of ALL time ?

bedlamVR

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Belichick has no business on this list. He's a product of Brady being his QB.

No one with such a pedestrian record prior to a HOF QB coming to the rescue should be placed in the discussion of best coaches ever.

Belichick has no business on this list. He's a product of Brady being his QB.

No one with such a pedestrian record prior to a HOF QB coming to the rescue should be placed in the discussion of best coaches ever.

other than Gibbs most HOF coaches best success came with a 1 great QB or more

Landry- Staubach

Knoll - Bradshaw

Lombardi - Starr

Shula- Unitas, Griese, Marino

Straham- Len Dawson

Brown- Otto Graham, Ken Anderson

Walsh- Montana

Levy- Kelly

Grant- Tarkenton

Madden- Stabler

other than Gibbs most HOF coaches best success came with a 1 great QB or more

Landry- Staubach

Knoll - Bradshaw

Lombardi - Starr

Shula- Unitas, Griese, Marino

Straham- Len Dawson

Brown- Otto Graham, Ken Anderson

Walsh- Montana

Levy- Kelly

Grant- Tarkenton

Madden- Stabler

In actuallity, Landry had success with Merideth, Morton, Staubach and White.

In actuallity, Landry had success with Merideth, Morton, Staubach and White.

He won his only 2 and went to 5 (1 as a split starter with Morton) Super Bowls with Staubach

Morton was good enough to help lead Denver to a Super Bowl, not such a slouch

White never took the Pokes to the Super Bowl, but was a pretty good QB

1761 Comp. 2950 Att. 59.7% comp. 21959 Yards 7.4 YPA 155 TD 132 INT

Dandy Don lead the Pokes to only 3 wining seasons in 7 years as the Cowboy QB

He won and went to 5 (1 as a split starter with Morton) Super Bowls with Staubach

You know Bubba, I've been a member of ES for about as long as you, not nearly as many posts as you, but almost as long, and I've noticed something. Why is it that people fail to realize that they aren't going to win a stats battle with you?

You are, without a doubt one of the most knowledgeable football fans on this site.

He won his only 2 and went to 5 (1 as a split starter with Morton) Super Bowls with Staubach

I mention these other QBs because you list Marino (who never one a Super Bowl and only played in one very early in his career with Shula) and Anderson (who never won a Super Bowl or even a playoff game with Brown in the 5 years he had him) in your list.

I think if your strickly talking about Super Bowls, then I can understand your point but if your talking about having success, I guess it comes down to how you view/define that term. IMO, Landry's legacy is his inovation to the game and his amazing streak of 20 consecutive winning season. That started in 1965 and ran through 85 with 13 Division Titles, 5 NFC Championships and 2 Super Bowls but you gotta remember that prior to going to his first Super Bowl and losing that 1st Super Bowl to the Colts, we had lost 2 League Championships to the Packers in 66 (34-27) and 67 (21-17 - the Ice Bowl) and in 68 and 69 we lost the conference championships to the Cleveland Browns and then, of course, the Colts in 70. In 69 and 70, Craig Morton was the Starter but from 66 to 68, it was Merideth. To me, two NFL League Championship loses and one Conference Championship lose is not so bad. Obviously, better if you would have won it but still, as a player or a coach I think you have to say that it should be considered a succesful season. With Morton, he had really two great seasons in 69 and 70, a confrence championship defeat and a Superbowl defeat and then in 71, Roger took over. Roger defeated Miami for the Super Bowl title in 71 but then was hurt in 72. Craig played the majority of the 72 season ( 14 games, Roger only threw 20 passes that year) and we lost to the Skinz in the Conference Championship game. In 73, Roger was back and Morton eventually left for NY and then Denver where he lost a Super Bowl, as you mentioned. However, Morton, while never winning a championship, did QB us to two Confrence Championship games and one Super Bowl. That, I would say, can be qualified as succesful as well. Roger, you know about. However, Danny White also enjoyed a measure of success with Dallas. In 1979, Staubach retired and in 80, Danny White took over as the starter. White was a very good QB for us but unfortunatly, he sustained a wrist injury that would eventually force him out of the game prematurely. Prior to that departer, White QB'd us to 3 straight Conference Championship games (80, 81 and 82). We lost all three (Philly and the Reggie White team, San Fran and The Catch Game and Washington with Joe Theismann). I'd have to say that this too would constitute a measure of success. Again, not the success you would hope for but still, pretty succesful. To me, Gibbs obviously had better success in Super Bowls with multiple QBs, then did Landry but Landry was able to sustain it for much longer. Gibbs won three Super Bowls, lost one and lost one conference title games in his 15 seasons with three different QBs. Landry, in 28 seasons, won two Super Bowls, lost three, Lost two NFL league championships, and seven Conference Championships with 4 QBs. I think the case can be made that while Gibbs did have more success winning championships with multiple QBs, Landry certainly had more sustained success putting his teams in a position to compete for championships with multiple QBs.

This is probably not a view many Cowboy fans would care to examine because, after all, we have lost many more championships then we have won, but to me it's still a measure of success. While I certainly would have liked to have won all those championships, we still have more then our share and the teams that we have lost to, (Green Bay Packers and Lombardi's HOF teams, Cleveland Browns and Paul Browns HOF teams, Baltimore Colts and Don Shula's HOF teams and finally Pittsburgh and Noles HOF teams are amoung the greatest Dynasty teams of all time in the NFL. To me, there is no shame in that.

If you took the position that Championships are all that count, I would understand your take and that would be fine. However, to me, greatness is more then just that. I can appriciate sustained success over a long period of time as well. Especially at my age. It is hard to be exceptional, even in my field, year after year. It's a grind. In the NFL, I can't imagine how difficult it would be.

If Belichick coached in a division other than that AFC East, I might be more convinced. But any time you have to face Miami, the Jets, Buffalo twice a year......... And if he had actually done something in Cleveland, it would help his case, too. His success in New England is due to the ownership-management-support staff he has, not really due to any magic he brings to the table.

I would rate Walsh ahead of Belichick. He brought innovation to the game and developed a successful system that others are implementing.

Gibbs is a great coach when he's not trying to be General Manager at the same time.

Lombardi is tops in my book.

You know Bubba, I've been a member of ES for about as long as you, not nearly as many posts as you, but almost as long, and I've noticed something. Why is it that people fail to realize that they aren't going to win a stats battle with you?

You are, without a doubt one of the most knowledgeable football fans on this site.

Gwarsh :kickcan:

Thanks for the props :cheers:

Archived