Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Coach of ALL time ?

bedlamVR

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I would not say head and shoulders. I believe Landry belongs in the group behind Brown. I don't know that I would call him the best or second. In fact, I don't know that I could even say where he fits but he was very inovative in his own right. The truth is, all of these coaches were great. I mean, there are a lot of really good coaches that aren't even mentioned here. Sid Gillman changed the game on the offensive side of the house as much as anybody ever. Curly Lambo, Hank Strahm and his short passing game, Bud Grant, Weeb Eubank and Belichik is right there IMO. I'd hate to have to live off the difference between these coaches.

Meh, I still say my list is the best one. :D

:applause:

I'm 19, and I've only been watching football for 14 year, and only really knowledgeable about it for a few, but I agree, from what I've read about Paul Brown in books and of course, wikipedia, I couldn't agree more.

I also think, it is sort of silly to post a top 5 coaches of all time. We'll never come to an agreement because of personal biases, not even team biases, some people just think certain people had more of an impact on the game then others. All of these men were great coaches, great doesn't even do them justice, the edge these coaches gave their teams made it seem like they were always playing 12 on 11.

Good post. And I flat out forgot about Brown. He should definetely be in my top 5. C-ya Parcells. You're now in the 6 hole.

Landry is in the top 10, but not ahead of

Lombardi, Gibbs, Brown, Knoll, Halas, Shula, Belichick and I would have to say Walsh is ahead of him as well

but he is ahead of Parcells

BUWAHAHAHAHAHA Gibbs ahead of Landry?

I can't wait to hear this explanation. Heck, just for fun I'd like to hear the explanation on Knoll and Belichick too.

BUWAHAHAHAHAHA Gibbs ahead of Landry?

I can't wait to hear this explanation. Heck, just for fun I'd like to hear the explanation on Knoll and Belichick too.

are you really that big a homer???

seriously

Laundry had 6 years of losing seasons before he had a winning season, and was bad at the end. not that great a 20-16 playoff record only 2 Super Bowl wins to the others 3, and Knolls 4

Gibbs won 3 of 4 Super Bowls, and retired with the all time record in playoff win percentage, as well as Coaching winning percentage, after a 12 year layoff was able to get the Skins back into the playoffs, and win a playoff game in two years. Gibbs took 3 different QB's to Super Bowl wins, in fact only 5 players played on all of the Skins Super bowls Gibbs coached in.

Knoll 4 out 4 Super Bowls took one of the worse franchises in NFL history and rebuilt them into winners about 3 years, beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl twice

Belichick 3 out of 3, also took a sorry Browns team to the playoffs

not even you can can say Laundry was better

seriously

Laundry had 6 years of losing seasons before he had a winning season, and was bad at the end. not that great a 20-16 playoff record only 2 Super Bowl wins to the others 3, and Knolls 4

You failed to mention inbetween those losing years, he had 20 WINNING SEASONS IN A ROW. 20. Thats a mind boggling number. Thats 5 more than Gibbs has coached seasons. He was an inovater. He was a champion. 5 NFC championships.

Gibbs won 3 of 4 Super Bowls, and retired with the all time record in playoff win percentage, as well as Coaching winning percentage, after a 12 year layoff was able to get the Skins back into the playoffs, and win a playoff game in two years. Gibbs took 3 different QB's to Super Bowl wins, in fact only 5 players played on all of the Skins Super bowls Gibbs coached in.

He had a good 10 year run. Two superbowl wins were in strike years. So he took them to the playoffs, 2 years ago, big deal. He also had 5 wins last season.

Knoll 4 out 4 Super Bowls took one of the worse franchises in NFL history and rebuilt them into winners about 3 years, beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl twice

And he did it with the help of 9, count em 9 hall of famers in the 70's. An unheard of number. One of those victories against the cowboys was because of a dropped pass by jackie smith. You make it seem like he owned Landry. He won both games by a total of 8 points.

Under your rationale Tom Flores was better than Gibbs cause he beat them in a superbowl. Get real.

Phhhhtttttt. Talk to me after 20 years of winning seasons. WOW.

No way was GIbbs better than Landry. Nobody outside of skins fans would agree with that, nobody and you know it.

And he did it with the help of 9, count em 9 hall of famers in the 70's. An unheard of number.

Err under Landry had his sucess thanks to 12 HOF players 11 under his watch some of which had thier sucess else where still contributed

Tony Dorsett RB 1994 1977-87 Career stats

Dorsett, the winner of the Heisman Trophy and a college national championship in 1976, competed in two Super Bowls in his first two seasons. In 11 seasons, Dorsett had 12,739 rushing yards, scored 91 touchdowns and had a run of 99 yards in 1983.

Randy White DT 1994 1975-88 Career stats

White missed only one game in his 14 seasons and played middle linebacker his first two years in Dallas. An All-Pro selection for nine seasons, White played in three Super Bowls and was the co-MVP of Super Bowl XII.

Mel Renfro DB 1996 1964-77 Career stats

Renfro was invited to the Pro Bowl in his first 10 seasons and played in four Super Bowls. He intercepted 52 passes in his 14-season career and also was an exceptional special teams contributor, averaging 26.4 yards per kickoff return.

Bob Lilly DT 1980 1961-74 Career stats

Lilly, the Cowboys' first draft choice and first Hall of Fame inductee, missed only one game in 14 seasons. He was named to 11 Pro Bowls and competed in the Cowboys' first two Super Bowls.

Roger Staubach QB 1985 1969-79 Career stats

Staubach won the 1963 Heisman Trophy, but his 11-year pro career began in 1969. Once he secured the Cowboys' starting quarterback job in 1971, he led Dallas to six NFC titles and two Super Bowl wins. The MVP of Super Bowl VI led the NFL in passing four times.

Rayfield Wright OL 2006 1967-1979 Career stats

Wright was the Cowboys' seventh-round draft pick in the 1967, out of Fort Valley (Ga.) State. Known as the "Big Cat," Wright earned first- or second-team All-NFL honors six consecutive times (1971-1976) and was named to the all-decade team for the '70s.

Herb Adderley DB 1980 1970-72 Career stats

Adderley had 48 interceptions and seven touchdowns on defense and was also effective on kickoff returns. He played in four of the first six Super Bowls in his nine seasons with the Packers and three seasons with the Cowboys.

Lance Alworth WR 1978 1971-72 Career stats

Alworth scored 85 touchdowns in his 11 seasons, including the first touchdown for the Cowboys in Super Bowl VI. He was the first AFL player to be inducted and caught passes in 96 straight games.

Mike Ditka TE 1988 1969-72 Career stats

Ditka was the first tight end elected to the Hall of Fame and scored the Cowboys' final touchdown in their Super Bowl VI victory. He was the Rookie of the Year with the Bears in 1961 and was chosen for the Pro Bowl in his first five seasons.

Forrest Gregg OL 1977 1971 Career stats

In 15 seasons, Gregg played on seven NFL championship teams and appeared in 188 consecutive games. In his one season with the Cowboys, he was a member of the winning team in Super Bowl VI.

Jackie Smith TE 1994 1978 Career stats

Smith played 15 seasons with the Cardinals and was chosen for five consecutive Pro Bowls from 1967 to 1971. He reached Super Bowl XIII in his one season with the Cowboys but is remembered often by his dropped pass in the end zone of that game.

seriously

and you have the nerve to say you are the most objective poster in the ES forum.....Hey Skin fans, i want you to be honest and answer my question (dont just be a Skins homer)

Who is a better coach (all-time) Joe Gibbs or Tom Landry?

For you Bubba: All nice stats and a great way to show Gibbs in a better light, but as J_J pointed out.....

20 straight winning seasons? Also Landry has 250 wins, and 5 NFC Titles.....*2-3 in SB's (lost to one of the greatest teams of all time in 1970 The B-more Colts and twice to the greatest Dynasty ever The Pittsburg Steelers)

He started off with 6 losing seasons??? Well duh, he was the very first coach in the franchise's history. He started from scratch. But even with the bad start Landy finished with 250 wins. including a 7 year and 6 year steak of double diget wins.

8 straight playoff appearences, a year off and then 9 straight from 1966-1983 17 playoff appearences in 18 years.

13 division titles.

I will take nothing away from Gibbs, the man is an excellent coach and is an all-time great, but to put him above Landry is just way off base and homerish. Landry did so much for the game on both sides of the ball.........not just with his record, but with what he gave to this game.....

In my honest opinion, Landry had the better career. 20 straight winning seasons is quite an accomplishment. Most were by far too (10+ wins). I dont care how many HOF'ers you have. They were not HOF players yet. Most posters that tout that fact act like Landry hand picked these guys like they were in Canton before he coached.

But Joe is not done yet, and he has a better career winning percentage (0.625) compared to Landry (0.605), more SB wins and a better playoff win percentage, (0.695) vs. (0.555).

I love Gibbs and I think he is a great coach. I do think he deserves top ten honors (not 5). You cant deny him top ten (I'm thinking 6 or 7) can you?

But for the purpose of this argument, Landry takes it. Hands down.

In my honest opinion, Landry had the better career. 20 straight winning seasons is quite an accomplishment. Most were by far too (10+ wins). I dont care how many HOF'ers you have. They were not HOF players yet. Most posters that tout that fact act like Landry hand picked these guys like they were in Canton before he coached.

But Joe is not done yet, and he has a better career winning percentage (0.625) compared to Landry (0.605), more SB wins and a better playoff win percentage, (0.695) vs. (0.555).

I love Gibbs and I think he is a great coach. I do think he deserves top ten honors (not 5). You cant deny him top ten (I'm thinking 6 or 7) can you?

But for the purpose of this argument, Landry takes it. Hands down.

I would never deny Gibbs. He is definity top ten, and prolly just 1 spot or 2 behind Landry....and your right, he is not done. If he goes out with 20 more wins two more playoff appearences and another SB title, then i would have to really reconsider this and put him atleast on par with Landry, maybe even ahead of......but as of today, your right Landry has an edge but not by that much......

I would never deny Gibbs. He is definity top ten, and prolly just 1 spot or 2 behind Landry....and your right, he is not done. If he goes out with 20 more wins two more playoff appearences and another SB title, then i would have to really reconsider this and put him atleast on par with Landry, maybe even ahead of......but as of today, your right Landry has an edge but not by that much......

I think most of the Cowboys teams are generally regarded as being much more talented than the competition. I'm not saying Landry wasnt a great coach, but it was obvious that the Cowboys had better players than nearly all their competition those years.

Gibbs is given credit for being such a great coach b/c he did it without a franchise quarterback. You may not know that he also won three superbowls with three different RUNNING backs. Only one player (Riggins) is in the HOF from those teams.

I think that Gibbs was (and is) the better coach. And I think the success that he had on the field is more attributable to his coach abilities and his innovations than arguably any other coach in the history of football.

In all honesty, I don't think you will find very many unbiased parties saying that Landry was in the class as Gibbs as far as coaching abilities goes.

I think most of the Cowboys teams are generally regarded as being much more talented than the competition. I'm not saying Landry wasnt a great coach, but it was obvious that the Cowboys had better players than nearly all their competition those years.

Gibbs is given credit for being such a great coach b/c he did it without a franchise quarterback. You may not know that he also won three superbowls with three different RUNNING backs. Only one player (Riggins) is in the HOF from those teams.

I think that Gibbs was (and is) the better coach. And I think the success that he had on the field is more attributable to his coach abilities and his innovations than arguably any other coach in the history of football.

In all honesty, I don't think you will find very many unbiased parties saying that Landry was in the class as Gibbs as far as coaching abilities goes.

your wrong, and i will tell you why. Landry was an innovator on both sides of the ball...a great teacher and a great coach. He had good players, because he coached them. Are you willing to say anyother coach could have had the same results with the same talent? I mean what is with people that discredit coaches because they have good players? Landry made those players great, he didnt just get lucky and have a talented enough roster to just go out and win on their own......

Coaching Highlights:

• First head coach of the Dallas Cowboys (1960-1988)

• Set an NFL record with 20 consecutive winning seasons (1966-1985)

• 1966 NFL Coach of the Year

• 1975 NFC Coach of the Year

• Won 13 NFC East titles

• Won five NFC titles

• Won Super Bowl VI and XII

• Introduced the flex defense

• Developed the 4-3 defense

• Revived the shotgun offense

• Introduced motion offenses

• Popularized situational substitutions

• Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1990)

He was one of the best defensive minds in the game as a player coach and then as a defensive coordinator for the NY Giants in the late 50's.

your wrong, and i will tell you why. Landry was an innovator on both sides of the ball...a great teacher and a great coach. He had good players, because he coached them. Are you willing to say anyother coach could have had the same results with the same talent? I mean what is with people that discredit coaches because they have good players? Landry made those players great, he didnt just get lucky and have a talented enough roster to just go out and win on their own......

I'm not saying Landry wasn't great. But if you were to compare the talent level of those Cowboys teams to their competition, versus the talent level on the Redskisn versus their competition, I think you will see that the Cowboys had a major advantage in talent level that Gibbs did not have.

Generally, I think Gibbs is accredited with winning more with less than Landry. And I don't think there are many people who will say that Landry wa a better coach than Gibbs.

I'm not saying Landry wasn't great. But if you were to compare the talent level of those Cowboys teams to their competition, versus the talent level on the Redskisn versus their competition, I think you will see that the Cowboys had a major advantage in talent level that Gibbs did not have.

Generally, I think Gibbs is accredited with winning more with less than Landry. And I don't think there are many people who will say that Landry wa a better coach than Gibbs.

no most if not all people outside of Washington would say he is a better coach. Give him the credit he deserves for building the talent and making the players better. Those players would not be as "talented" as you say they are, if not for Tom Landry..thats the part you are not understanding.....and this is not taking away from Gibbs. Yes he did great things and won 3 SB's with 3 QB's, but still he did have the greatest offensive line in the history of the NFL......and he kept them together for the most part throughout his full career.

Outside of Washington...Landry ranks higher as a coach on the all time list in the NFL.

Outside of Washington...Landry ranks higher as a coach on the all time list in the NFL.

only with cowboys fans. i'm sorry, if you asked unbiased people who was a better coach, 95% of them would say Gibbs was a better coach than Landry.

SEVERAL unbiased NFL knowledgables would argue that Gibbs is the best coach of all time. People do not hold Landry on that level. Landry is one level below the all time elite of elites.

only with cowboys fans. i'm sorry, if you asked unbiased people who was a better coach, 95% of them would say Gibbs was a better coach than Landry.

SEVERAL unbiased NFL knowledgables would argue that Gibbs is the best coach of all time. People do not hold Landry on that level. Landry is one level below the all time elite of elites.

Speaking as someone who has never even been to Washington, I have to agree.

No way was GIbbs better than Landry. Nobody outside of skins fans would agree with that, nobody and you know it.

Just like no one that is a blind Cowboys homer would agree with one: Gibbs is not a top 5 coach, and two: Landry is the best of all time.

Parcells over Gibbs is another laugher...

Just like no one that is a blind Cowboys homer would agree with one: Gibbs is not a top 5 coach, and two: Landry is the best of all time.

Parcells over Gibbs is another laugher...

Riggo, I respect you opinion very much. I agree with you that Parcells is not better then Gibbs. i have maintaned that even while Parcells was with the Cowboys, but I dont kow what your tryin to say about Gibbs vs Landry? Whats yuour take?

How can you say HoF players were only that good because of the coach .... is Terrel Owens worse now he left the Niners? How about Matt Hasslebeck better or worse since he left GB ... Talent will out and yes Landry may have got more out of players but they had the talent there to begin with.

The point of listing the HoF players Landry had at his disposal is because someone was making the point Landry was better than Noll because Noll had 9 HoF players so was at an advantage with the bettercast of players... but of course Knoll didn't make any of the Steallers better.

You holding up 20 consecutive winning seasons is impressive but only 2 superbowls came out of 29 years of effort . That is all well and good but who is to say Gibbs if he had have coached 29 years he would have not had the same level of succsess or more ... afterall comming back after 14 years he took the floudering franchise to the second round of the playoffs ... in the years in between he also scored top flight sucsess in a totally unrelated sport ...

For cowboys fans to come here and tell us Skins fans are homeristic for saying Gibbs is better than Landry its a little like pot calling kettle

Riggo, I respect you opinion very much. I agree with you that Parcells is not better then Gibbs. i have maintaned that even while Parcells was with the Cowboys, but I dont kow what your tryin to say about Gibbs vs Landry? Whats yuour take?

Honestly - I'd say neck-and-neck, if I was forced to pick one - I'd have to go with Landry (longevity, 20 straight winning season is amazing, plus his contributions to the game). But someone said earlier I wouldn't want to live on the difference.

Archived