Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Couple of things from the Gibbs wrap-up presser.

Art

The broncos game yes, obviously Tatm bell gained his yards on 2 plays, one where he totally juked someone in the backfield, i think it was daniels but could have been 57. So that is 50/50 the second run was a joke, everyone missed had a shot and missed him. SO i grant you that point.

The tiki game, i wouldnt say we bottled but tiki at all, but i will agree that once he got to the second level no one in the secondary cared to tackle. ST missed a bunch.

It is a team effort, i agree with this, but look at the Vikings, they credit almost there entire run D to there D line. The Jags have weak LB play but great run D due to the line.

It is a combo of DL plus LB the difference is the LBs cannot be effective without the DL being effective. While a DL *can* be effective without good LB play because the play is over prior to the lBS getting invovled.

Point is, it's been a rare event for a team to dominate us on the ground. It's happened a few times, MOSTLY last year, where teams pushed us around. That's out of character for what we try to do and think it is probably the most naturally easy thing to fix, given the personnel we have.

2. Via "gimmick" blitzes involving Washington, Taylor, Landry and the kitchen sink.
You do realize that in '05 and '04, that's how we got most of our sacks? Shawn Springs tied for the team lead in sacks in 2004. Gregg Williams's system has always been about creating pressure with blitzes. Given our recent draft history, I think it's becoming clear that pass rushing lineman aren't really a priority for the team.

I am goin to re-post something I put in another thread:

Last season, it wasn't the case of opposing QBs hiking the ball and having 8, 9, 10 seconds to throw.

If that were the case, then that means that we had a pretty good secondary to be able to cover that long.

However, we know that we did NOT have a good secondary last year. :)

No, last year what I saw was from the opposing QB was:

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

This means that opposing offensive players were getting open in the secondary practically IMMEADIATELY.

The D-Line barely got 2-3 steps into their push before the QB was throwing the ball.

They rarely had time to put on any pressure.

Our secondary was that bad. They made most QBs facing the Redskins look Marino-like quick.

So Williams couldn't blitz much b/c he had to put everyone out in coverage to compensate.

That also left running lanes open, which hurt our rushing defense.

THIS is what I believe the coaches saw in studying the film, and made the moves they did (focusing on the secondary and LBs in FA and the draft. This will help us put more pressure on opposing QBs and stop the run the way we usually do.

I'm not saying we don't need to look at another DL in UDFA or June 1st cuts, but I don't think it was our biggest need.

I think there is some merit to what you are saying here (and hopefully it's true), but this is not what I remember about the 2006 defensive line......really at all. I made it a point to consistently watch the DL pressure on most defensive snaps. I saw Andre Carter getting swallowed up by OTs 80lbs heavier than him, when he should have been blowing past them. Griffin was a big no-factor last year, hopefully due to his shoulders. Salave'a provides no real pocket push and should be replaced by Golston. Daniels just had three surgeries and Wynn has seen better days. What I consistently remember seeing last year was a defensive line that just could not get to the QB - and the QB having all day to throw. I remember yelling at the screen many times last year - C"MON THE QB HAD ALL DAY THERE........they have big problems on the DL and failed to address it in FA and mostly in the draft. I am quite shocked we did not draft a DL in this draft. Landry is going to be a great safety, especially with Taylor, but need at safety was a luxury pick, and the need at DE is desperate. I would have rather seen Jamaal Anderson picked, although Landry had the higher grade. I have no idea how we are going to get to the QB again next year. Hopefully what you are saying is true, but I just don't remember it that way last year.

Point is, it's been a rare event for a team to dominate us on the ground. It's happened a few times, MOSTLY last year, where teams pushed us around. That's out of character for what we try to do and think it is probably the most naturally easy thing to fix, given the personnel we have.

Art, i agree, the times we gave up big yardage on the ground (minus the denver) game are the times where the defensive line got pushed around. However i think it happened a more than a few times last yer:

Sign 1: ST was our leading tackler, a sign that blockers and backs got to the second level.

Sign 2: 11/16 games we gave up over 100 on the ground...i dont want to know how many times it was 120+, 150+ and 200+ but i hope you are correct that we shore it up. Having a healthy Griffin for all 16 games would go along way.

Can you imagine if Sartz becomes a truly great player for Redskins that everyone loves.

You'll see signs up in the stands that say

WE LOVE DALLAS!! :laugh:

Talk about confusion. :D

He might have to change his name. Or at the very least we would have come up with a good nickname for him.

Last season, it wasn't the case of opposing QBs hiking the ball and having 8, 9, 10 seconds to throw.

If that were the case, then that means that we had a pretty good secondary to be able to cover that long.

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

This means that opposing offensive players were getting open in the secondary practically IMMEADIATELY.

The D-Line barely got 2-3 steps into their push before the QB was throwing the ball.

Our secondary was that bad. They made most QBs facing the Redskins look Marino-like quick.

So Williams couldn't blitz much b/c he had to put everyone out in coverage to compensate.

THIS is what I believe the coaches saw in studying the film, and made the moves they did (focusing on the secondary and LBs in FA and the draft. This will help us put more pressure on opposing QBs and stop the run the way we usually do.

I'm not saying we don't need to look at another DL in UDFA or June 1st cuts, but I don't think it was our biggest need.

It wasn't just the sceondary....our LBs were not so hot at covering backs out of the backfield. but that has been a problem for several years now.

Did anyone ask how we are going to stop the run?

Better coverage is the main domino. If you can't stop the long ball then you'll have to drop more in coverage. Which makes you weak vs the run. You'll be limited to 7 man fronts instead of 8.

Lack of good coverage also effects our ability to pressure the passer. It means fewer blitzes. Which leads to a 4 man rush; since you have to drop more in coverage or get bombed to hell. There are only so many 4 man twists and stunts you can run. Any pro O-lineman could block those in his sleep. That leaves the O with 5 blocking 4. Double the toughest SOB (usually Griff vs us) and then man up the others. That leaves you with 5 you can get out into passing game.

Better coverage is the main domino. If you can't stop the long ball then you'll have to drop more in coverage. Which makes you weak vs the run. You'll be limited to 7 man fronts instead of 8.

Lack of good coverage also effects our ability to pressure the passer. It means fewer blitzes. Which leads to a 4 man rush; since you have to drop more in coverage or get bombed to hell. There are only so many 4 man twists and stunts you can run. Any pro O-lineman could block those in his sleep. That leaves the O with 5 blocking 4. Double the toughest SOB (usually Griff vs us) and then man up the others. That leaves you with 5 you can get out into passing game.

Fair points but..

I think it is funny how our lack of pass coverage is blamed on the lack of pass rush and having our safties and backers "play run first" with people always talking about how Sean would have to watch for the run and therefore be late in the pass.

Now the reason for our poor Run D is because we were playing pass first.......the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round

(this is not directly at you, just the excuses that are thrown out in general)

I think there maybe some thing to this coverage issue (or like so many i hope there is) because one of the games I got to see last year was the Vikes Skins game and it was BJ that ripped us a new one.

At one point the DL was holding Chester Talyor (i think ) to 2.1 yards per carry but the vikes were still convering on over 70% of the 3rd downs because while Johnson simply cannot burn you on the long game his timing and quick release are among the best... indeed it was that very feature of his game that eliviated the 1999 skins to playoff contenders .

That just flat out wore out the defence and then late in the game was when Taylor started ripping off the 8 and 10 yard carries .

It would have been nice to get some DL help simply becasue of the ages but the LBs and Landry do fill needs so i have no problem with the draft

Fair points but..

I think it is funny how our lack of pass coverage is blamed on the lack of pass rush and having our safties and backers "play run first" with people always talking about how Sean would have to watch for the run and therefore be late in the pass.

Now the reason for our poor Run D is because we were playing pass first.......the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round

(this is not directly at you, just the excuses that are thrown out in general)

No offense taken. I base my theory on the Saints game. They were red hot at the time and literally shreded the best defenses in the league. That was one of the very few games where we had our full compliment of DB's on defense. And we whooped em pretty good; score didn't show it. But we shut their offense down completely.

No offense taken. I base my theory on the Saints game. They were red hot at the time and literally shreded the best defenses in the league. That was one of the very few games where we had our full compliment of DB's on defense. And we whooped em pretty good.
Beat them yes, whooped em pretty good......Werent they on like the 20 with a couple passes to win the game?

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

the first intelligent post ive read here in months!!!!!!!!!:applause:

How will we stop the run you ask?....

Joe Gibbs might not have said the answer but his actions speak for themselves. First, he addressed the main run stoppers for ours(and most other's) defense...the LineBackers! He fired Dale Lindsay ( and promoted Lodidodi or whatever his name is)

Then he upgraded the talent at LB....he went out and got one of the top five run stopping MLB's in the NFL... London Fletcher-Baker-Smith-Jones..enter-name-here...moving a good WLB in Lemar Marshall back to his natural position and with another year on Rocky we definately have improvement. Along this vein he got rid of highway 57 and who-dat 58 (the reawson Tiki had such a good game).

They have now been replaced with a pure althlete from USC in that Dallas kid and an absolute killer in HB Blades....go to cnnsi.com and check out film on those guys. We really got lucky in drafting them. I can see HB being this year's Golston. Dont be sup[rised when he is on the field for more than special teams...he might be a bti small or a step slow as GW says but he is a player

How will we improve our pass Defense?

in the secondary of course. with the injuries to our secondary and having to start Kenny Wright so much and having adam "workout wonder" enchilada (who dates a PlayBoy playmate) giving up plays like he is simply watching.

Coach went out and got the best safety in the draft in Laron Landry who will prob be the next troy P or ed reed. with a healing springs and and c rodgers he added depth with getting back gold old smooty! and he added local boy david macklin who can start in this league. if one of our cbs goes down we can still go nickel with good coverage at all 3 cb's.

But what about the Dline???

we have two guys comming into their own in their second year in Golston and Montgomery. Griff and big Joe are back healthy and wynn and daniels are great in leadership. despite what was said even last year i saw evans rush and rush well against the passer even though the ball was out in like 3 seconds. If andre carter had played all 16 like the final 7 he would have been a defensive player of the year canidate. ( expect big things from him) our line might not be the best in NFL history but it has some youth ( 4 of the top 8 are under 30 including two of the starters) and has some flexibity. It has veteran leadership who understands the system and has the condfidence of the coaching staff.

Put simply ladies and gentleman...expect the defense of old. we will be a top five defense and will give our boy Jason Campbell all the help its needs to return to 2005 form and back into the playoffs.

:point2sky :applause: :applause: :applause:

He might have to change his name. Or at the very least we would have come up with a good nickname for him.

I'm going to call him Shartz. Not because I don't like the pick or anything, because I like his potential, I just think its a great nickname for him. So get the word out to all Extremeskins members and fans at the stadiums across the country. We cannot call this guy "Dallas".

So, on behalf of the Washington Redskins community, I would like to say Welcome to D.C., Shartz! Hope you make an impact for us very soon.

One, the second question from a reporter was, "There's been talk that (the TE) could gain weight to be an offensive lineman." Loser simply logged in to NFL.com and read the analysis that said that. Moving further, Gibbs spoke about Washington being used to rush the passer more, especially in the nickel packages.

This creates a role for him in the nickel like Chris Clemons a couple years ago. Washington is really a pretty good pass rusher in limited chances. Obviously the plan is to work him in more frequently to help generate some of the quick pressure on the edge we simply can't generate with Daniels, Wynn or Evans.

Sounds like that may have been an internal answer as to how to improve with the pass rush that helped lead to some of the choices we've made in the offseason.

Chris Clemons strictly lined up as a third down pass rusher with his hands down . . . I don't really consider him to be a nickel linebacker, but rather, a 3rd and long pass-rushing defensive end. Nevertheless, it is encouraging to hear that we will be using Marcus as a blitzer . . . Hits like he had on Eli 2 years ago can never get old!

That also explains why Dallas was picked up in the 5th. He'd be able to do this role in the event of injury to Washington. I'm becoming more and more astounded that we managed to pick up the two LBs we did so late in the draft. I'm assuming Coach was wearing a smile if he had to field any questions about these two guys.

Damn our coaches for having a plan and drafting for it without telling us first what it was!

I KNOW! I know the majority of this board has generally expressed pessimism with regard to who we have drafted this year . . . But seriously, it looks like the coaches are finally doing some smart things . . . We didn't draft fullbacks in the 4th . . . We drafted insurance for Marcus and Rocky . . . These two LBS are capable backups who can contribute greatly on teams. And they are versatile - Dallas even played some safety at SC and can play both weak side and strong side, while Blades is a YOUNG MLB who can learn behind London

How will we stop the run you ask?....

Joe Gibbs might not have said the answer but his actions speak for themselves. First, he addressed the main run stoppers for ours(and most other's) defense...the LineBackers! He fired Dale Lindsay ( and promoted Lodidodi or whatever his name is)

Then he upgraded the talent at LB....he went out and got one of the top five run stopping MLB's in the NFL... London Fletcher-Baker-Smith-Jones..enter-name-here...moving a good WLB in Lemar Marshall back to his natural position and with another year on Rocky we definately have improvement. Along this vein he got rid of highway 57 and who-dat 58 (the reawson Tiki had such a good game).

They have now been replaced with a pure althlete from USC in that Dallas kid and an absolute killer in HB Blades....go to cnnsi.com and check out film on those guys. We really got lucky in drafting them. I can see HB being this year's Golston. Dont be sup[rised when he is on the field for more than special teams...he might be a bti small or a step slow as GW says but he is a player

How will we improve our pass Defense?

in the secondary of course. with the injuries to our secondary and having to start Kenny Wright so much and having adam "workout wonder" enchilada (who dates a PlayBoy playmate) giving up plays like he is simply watching.

Coach went out and got the best safety in the draft in Laron Landry who will prob be the next troy P or ed reed. with a healing springs and and c rodgers he added depth with getting back gold old smooty! and he added local boy david macklin who can start in this league. if one of our cbs goes down we can still go nickel with good coverage at all 3 cb's.

we have two guys comming into their own in their second year in Golston and Montgomery. Griff and big Joe are back healthy and wynn and daniels are great in leadership. despite what was said even last year i saw evans rush and rush well against the passer even though the ball was out in like 3 seconds. If andre carter had played all 16 like the final 7 he would have been a defensive player of the year canidate. ( expect big things from him) our line might not be the best in NFL history but it has some youth ( 4 of the top 8 are under 30 including two of the starters) and has some flexibity. It has veteran leadership who understands the system and has the condfidence of the coaching staff.

Put simply ladies and gentleman...expect the defense of old. we will be a top five defense and will give our boy Jason Campbell all the help its needs to return to 2005 form and back into the playoffs.

:point2sky :applause: :applause: :applause:

GREAT POST! I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said (except I may not express so much optimism with respect to our "top 5 defense." lol) We will be fine people . . . Last years defense was an aberration, but an indication of the future . . .

Toward the end of the presser, Gibbs outlined as clearly as you've ever heard just how bad our coverage was last year and just how negative it was to the rest of the defense. I do think we have some reason to hope we'll be better in the secondary, which will, in turn, make us better everywhere else. The same thing is true in reverse. If you have a great front four, it makes your coverage better.

I think we were a lot closer to having a great secondary than we were to having a great front four though :).

For the first time in awhile, I agree with you Art. :) Except about improving the secondary helping the whole team concept. Now a improved D-line would help the whole team.

I like our secondary, especially if Springs returns. I think we have good depth at all positions and have 3 CB's that can start. Taylor and Landry should be a top tier combo, even if it is a luxury and not essential. Honestly, we could loose a starting CB and starting saftey to injury and not see what we saw last year. I like the depth we added to our LB's as well. Blades was a steal. No need looking for our next MLB, I thnk he'll be it after London reties, and I think he'll be a very good one. Sartz was a interesting pick. If he can add some wieght he has a chance on making the team and being productive depth. Im not much of a fan of the PAC 10, but USC has put out their fair share of good LB's, and he was a captain. He's got a chance, especially if he can bulk up a bit and fill out his 6'3 frame. I think we have a very good group and now some young depth that is versital.

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

this is the best argument ive heard yet as to why it was our secondary and not the dline. and this makes even more sense as to why we werent blitzing at all. but i gotta wonder, why did our secondary just plummet then? rogers/taylor/springs were all very good in 05, why did they just turn into garbage in 06?

It is not a fluke that Daniels, Wynn and Griff got injured. They are at the point in their careers where injuries have to be factored in. I would be shocked if 2 out of the 3 of them does not miss at least half the games in 2007. It is why teams continually seek out young talent and let the old over-priced DL go.

Unless some people step up on the DL to fill the roles these guys played in 2005 I see our defense resembling the 2006 D more than 2005 D this season.

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

3 steps.. throw

This is what i have been saying since the season ended. I am glad that people are finally starting to come around.

This is what i have been saying since the season ended. I am glad that people are finally starting to come around.

It's tough because so many presume that defensive performance is almost solely correlated to the performance of DL, and can't be convinced otherwise.

For instance, I could point out the Packers who had a much, much better pass rush than the Redskins - 46 sacks (4th in the NFL) compared to the Redskins' 19 (last in the NFL).

Now according to these folks, that would mean that since the Packers had a great pass rush, they would not be as likely to be burned by the deep pass since opposing QBs were constantly under pressure and didn't have time to throw it deep.

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work as presumed. The Packers were as nearly as bad as the Redskins in giving up the long pass (giving up 53 20+ yard passes compared to the Skins 55, and giving up 13 40+ yard passes compared to the Skins 15).

How could this be? A great pass rush is supposed to be the great panacea to all defensive woes!

Unfortunately, it isn't. And while aside from Carter, Daniels, Wynn, and Evans might be merely serviceable, aside from Taylor, however, Prioleau, Fox, and Doughty are terrible as a group. Prioleau is a very good nickel safety, but Fox and Doughty probably wouldn't even be on most rosters. I would say Daneils, Wynn, and Evans would be.

One, the second question from a reporter was, "There's been talk that (the TE) could gain weight to be an offensive lineman." Loser simply logged in to NFL.com and read the analysis that said that.

I understand that you're just pointing out that he didn't find that out through special investigation of his own, but honestly I'm gunna have to say that it was a legitimate question regardless of whether it was "simply on NFL.com" or not. He saw it, wondered if there was any validity to it, went to the source of the team, and asked the question. That's just good journalism.

this is the best argument ive heard yet as to why it was our secondary and not the dline. and this makes even more sense as to why we werent blitzing at all. but i gotta wonder, why did our secondary just plummet then? rogers/taylor/springs were all very good in 05, why did they just turn into garbage in 06?

kenny wright. mike rumph. PP being out. just to name a few.

Archived