Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

M-1 of Dead Prez vs Fox News (Its Beautiful!!!!!)

Thinking Skins

Here's the link where I got this transcript: <a href="http://odeo.com/audio/11156593/view">My Original Source</a>

And here's the link where I actually viewed the video. This transcript speaks for itself, but the video is just a thing of beauty!!!!

<a href="

">Youtube Video</a>

From the April 12 edition of Fox News’ Your World with Neil Cavuto:

CAVUTO: M-1, I know that this is not your parent company, but NBC Universal owns Interscope Records, which has, under its employ, a lot of rap artists who routinely say stuff like you’ve just said and worse. And, NBC is OK with that, not OK with Don Imus making an errant comment. Do you find that, just as an artist, hypocritical?

M-1: No, I don’t find it hypocritical mainly because of our relationship to the system – our relationship with our oppressor. Once again, with personal responsibility taken at hand here, we’re talking about rappers who are coerced to say things other than what the reality of our community is and Mr. Imus, who obviously has said sentiments that come from his personal beliefs. I think you are comparing apples and oranges here even when you bring the rap community into the question. And once -

CAVUTO: No, you know, M-1, I don’t think I am. I mean, a ho is a ho, right? So, if Imus uses the expression and then you use the expression, you’ve both said “ho.”

M-1: Well, no, I don’t -

CAVUTO: Well, you’ve both said it. So, now, you’re saying -

M-1: No, I don’t use “ho.”

CAVUTO: All right, so -

M-1: I don’t say “ho.” And that’s my point exactly. And even the word “ho” existed way before 1976, when rap began. “Ho” is a relationship between the pimp and the pimper, the pimpee, if it may. And so—

CAVUTO: So, there’s nothing wrong with Imus saying it, right?

M-1: Well, of course—

CAVUTO: And there’s nothing wrong then with rappers - unlike yourself - saying it, right?

M-1: Well, of course there’s something wrong with both of those relationships. However, what governs that relationship is the historical relationship of oppression between black people and our white oppressors in this country, and that’s not a racist statement, that’s the reality that we live in.

CAVUTO: But Don Imus wasn’t oppressing you or anyone else. He made a mistaken—maybe a badly phrased comment. He’s lost a job on the air as a result of it. You can continue to make pretty, you know, outlandish comments for art, whatever you want to call it. It just doesn’t seem right. Does it seem right to you?

I usually despise the filthy garbage that FoxNews feels the need to broadcast 24 hours a day, but Cavuto is right on point here. He makes M-1 stutter and resort to using the typical "white people oppress us" propaganda that Dead Prez is known for. Great job. The entire Imus situation is BS....can anyone say overreaction?

I usually despise the filthy garbage that FoxNews feels the need to broadcast 24 hours a day, but Cavuto is right on point here. He makes M-1 stutter and resort to using the typical "white people oppress us" propaganda that Dead Prez is known for. Great job. The entire Imus situation is BS....can anyone say overreaction?

But thats the entire problem with the rap industry right now. Interscope Records tells the artist "in order to get signed, you've got to say things like ...." Then the news media goes out and challenges the artists for their lyrics and say nothing to Interscope records for putting out this type of stuff. Then NBC which owns Interscope can have talk radio talking about how bad hip hop is and how its hurting our children. But its all to get money. If they wanted to change hip hop, they could do it because they have all the power. If they wanted to promote positive lyrics in hip hop, they could sign somebody like Del the funky homosapien, brother ali, eyedea, pigeon john or a ton of other underground artists. But not only do they not sign these guys, but the tell the guys who they sign that they are not allowed to put out non-commercial type songs.

What I compare it to is the situation of sexual harassment in the workplace. A boss tells his secretary obviousy degrading things, and in order to keep her job she doesn't say anything. Thats wahts going on in the rap industry. The (bosses) are the people in charge of distribution. And they tell the rap artists (who are acting like the secretaries) that in order to get a job on this label, you've got to degrade yourself and the environment around you.

And for what? So that the number one purchasers of hip hop - teenage White males - can go out and buy music degrading blacks.

You can call it the typical "white people oppress us" propaganda if you want, but I don't see how with these details this is anything but oppression by those in power.

Definetly. "Bigger Then HipHop" and "Mind Sex" are CLASSIC. As well as that album overrall. See, thats what I was saying in the "Don Imus" thread. Record labels dont push the non-gangsta rap albums.

yeah man the hidden tracks at the end are so good too

But thats the entire problem with the rap industry right now. Interscope Records tells the artist "in order to get signed, you've got to say things like ...." Then the news media goes out and challenges the artists for their lyrics and say nothing to Interscope records for putting out this type of stuff. Then NBC which owns Interscope can have talk radio talking about how bad hip hop is and how its hurting our children. But its all to get money. If they wanted to change hip hop, they could do it because they have all the power. If they wanted to promote positive lyrics in hip hop, they could sign somebody like Del the funky homosapien, brother ali, eyedea, pigeon john or a ton of other underground artists. But not only do they not sign these guys, but the tell the guys who they sign that they are not allowed to put out non-commercial type songs.

What I compare it to is the situation of sexual harassment in the workplace. A boss tells his secretary obviousy degrading things, and in order to keep her job she doesn't say anything. Thats wahts going on in the rap industry. The (bosses) are the people in charge of distribution. And they tell the rap artists (who are acting like the secretaries) that in order to get a job on this label, you've got to degrade yourself and the environment around you.

And for what? So that the number one purchasers of hip hop - teenage White males - can go out and buy music degrading blacks.

You can call it the typical "white people oppress us" propaganda if you want, but I don't see how with these details this is anything but oppression by those in power.

Where is the evidence of record companies asking rap artists to say things to get signed? I'm not buying it. Dig up recordings by rap artists that were recorded before they were signed and you'll see no difference in the colorful language they use to describe things.

What about private labels like Dr. Dre's own Aftermath records, which is distributed through Interscope? Did they ask him to talk about ****es and hoes?

I don't have anything against gangsta rap, I like a lot of the artists, but I also don't have anything against Imus's comments. For a company to reserve certain words for rappers to use and forbid a shock-jock to use those same words is absurd.

And how oppressed can big-selling rap artists be? They make more money than the average joe like you and I.

How much will you bet me that if we make a surprise visit to the homes of each woman who plays basketball for Rutgers and confiscate their iPods that we will find music by artists that use words just like Imus used?

Ugh, there is a clear distinction between an artist telling a story (example: Tom Sawyer) and a guy with a history of racial comments making racial slurs directed at actual people. Apples and Oranges, just like the guy said.

First time I've ever heard rappers compared to Tom Sawyer :laugh:

And uh, as one who grew up on rap (but if glad it's finally making a downturn - well at least mainstream)....what story?? I mean, what story besides the one where they glorify themselves and what they have? Yeah, back in the day rap used to mean something but (for the most part) not any more. "Ho" used in rap is NO different than the way Imus used it. No difference whatsoever.

First time I've ever heard rappers compared to Tom Sawyer :laugh:

And uh, as one who grew up on rap (but if glad it's finally making a downturn - well at least mainstream)....what story?? I mean, what story besides the one where they glorify themselves and what they have? Yeah, back in the day rap used to mean something but (for the most part) not any more. "Ho" used in rap is NO different than the way Imus used it. No difference whatsoever.

well I can't speak for all rappers but there is a distinction to be made, at least for some authors/artists. If some of them are not telling stories or some other artistic goal, and they are just calling people hos with no deeper meaning, then I would agree with you about those individuals.

Than again, rappers don't have nationally syndicated shows, and their audiiences are mostly kids with no standards so again, apples and oranges.

Where is the evidence of record companies asking rap artists to say things to get signed? I'm not buying it. Dig up recordings by rap artists that were recorded before they were signed and you'll see no difference in the colorful language they use to describe things.

What about private labels like Dr. Dre's own Aftermath records, which is distributed through Interscope? Did they ask him to talk about ****es and hoes?

I don't have anything against gangsta rap, I like a lot of the artists, but I also don't have anything against Imus's comments. For a company to reserve certain words for rappers to use and forbid a shock-jock to use those same words is absurd.

And how oppressed can big-selling rap artists be? They make more money than the average joe like you and I.

How much will you bet me that if we make a surprise visit to the homes of each woman who plays basketball for Rutgers and confiscate their iPods that we will find music by artists that use words just like Imus used?

Are you seriously that naive regarding the music industry. Its no secret that music executives are striving for radio friendly songs and thats why on local radio stations they only play 4 songs every hour. You can't get radio play if you are the slighest bit controversial and thats why you will never hear Dead Prez on the radio or Mos Def or anyone that takes their lyrics seriously. So wake up and understand that the music business like anything else is all about making money.

THERE IS NO MUSICAL INTEGRITY AMONG LABEL EXECS! They will always push there artists to say what they want them to say cause 'statistics show that X demographic responds to that type of music'.

Don Imus chose to say those things without any persuasion or provocation and thats why he is a scumbag.

I can't believe that anyone even remotely believes this twisted garbage.

Are you seriously that naive regarding the music industry. Its no secret that music executives are striving for radio friendly songs and thats why on local radio stations they only play 4 songs every hour. You can't get radio play if you are the slighest bit controversial and thats why you will never hear Dead Prez on the radio or Mos Def or anyone that takes their lyrics seriously. So wake up and understand that the music business like anything else is all about making money.

THERE IS NO MUSICAL INTEGRITY AMONG LABEL EXECS! They will always push there artists to say what they want them to say cause 'statistics show that X demographic responds to that type of music'.

Don Imus chose to say those things without any persuasion or provocation and thats why he is a scumbag.

No one is doubting that the music business is just that: a business. What's in doubt are the lies (like the one M-1 told) about the music industry making rappers use words like "*****" and "ho," and those songs aren't the ones making radio play...so why would the industry tell rappers to rap about stuff that can't make the radio or MTV?

Also, Mos Def does get radio play...ever heard "Ms. Fat Booty?" That was a very mainstream song that put him out there for everyone to hear.

Than again, rappers don't have nationally syndicated shows, and their audiiences are mostly kids with no standards so again, apples and oranges.

And Imus is a known shock-jock, with an audience with no standards. No one would be surprised if Howard Stern said "nappy-headed ho's," so why is anyone shocked that Imus said it?

Freedom of speech doesn't mean that there are words that some people can say and some people can't.

I can't believe that anyone even remotely believes this twisted garbage.

Wow! thats all I can say is Wow.

If you just call into a local rap radio station and ask them why they don't play positive rap or conscious rap, they'll tell you "because it doesn't sell". Thats the same thing that the record labels tell the rappers. "Conscious rap doesn't sell. So if you want to make money, you'd better make gangsta rap or club music"

I'm just glad that M-1 of Dead Prez didn't rest on his beliefs for the sake of his career. I said the same thing about Kanye West, but Kanye was horrified about what would happen to him when he said that George Bush didn't like Black people. M-1 of Dead Prez went on live TV and just described the music industry.

For those of you who don't believe whats going on. YOu should go to youtube and try to find the clips from Paula Zahn's segment on Hip Hop art or poison. They interviewed guys there and the guys said the same thing. I'd also recommend listening to an album by Masta Ace. He goes into detail about the music industry.

Or you can just see if you believe the following statement: People like Michael Eric Dyson say that there's no market for conscious rap, hence labels don't market it and radio stations don't play those songs. But they can find a market for anything. If they can find a market for pet clothing, they can find a market for conscious rap music. And to those who say that people aren't buying conscious rap music the same way they're buying gangsta rap music, well when you put 10 million dollars behind promoting a gangsta rap artist, then he should be expected to return a lot more dollars than the conscious rap artist who has no distribution. Why do you think that companies spend so much money on super bowl ads? Its to get distribution of their products.

No one is doubting that the music business is just that: a business. What's in doubt are the lies (like the one M-1 told) about the music industry making rappers use words like "*****" and "ho," and those songs aren't the ones making radio play...so why would the industry tell rappers to rap about stuff that can't make the radio or MTV?

Also, Mos Def does get radio play...ever heard "Ms. Fat Booty?" That was a very mainstream song that put him out there for everyone to hear.

And Imus is a known shock-jock, with an audience with no standards. No one would be surprised if Howard Stern said "nappy-headed ho's," so why is anyone shocked that Imus said it?

Freedom of speech doesn't mean that there are words that some people can say and some people can't.

Radio companies have gone on record as saying that they will not play Dead Prez because "they make people think". Michael Eric Dyson was in studio with Cathy Hughes (owner or Radio One) when I called in and asked "isn't it hypocritical for Radio One to complain about the problems in Black America on the AM stations, then promote these very problems in Black America on the FM stations". ANd he replied (and hung up on me) by saying that "there's no market for conscious rap."

In America there's a market for everything. But the radio stations, the TV stations, and the people who control distribution don't want to promote conscious rap. So instead they'll promote a minstral show, where they'll say "I'll promote you, but only if you will make a fool of yourself". Its Amos and Andy all over again.

If any of you have ever seen the producers, thats exactly what it seems the music industry is doing. The producers figured it would be easier to make a highly promoted show that flopped on broadway than to actually put the time and effort into making a good show.

That's the same type of thing thats going on in the music industry. THey're just finding nonames off the streets giving him a new car and telling him to rap about gangsta life. Then they make millions off of him and he doesn't get wise to it until his 3rd or 4th album when he realizes that he's been getting pimped more than he pimps his hoes.

Another song that talks about this stuff is Nigganometry by Canibus.

Now if your song played on the radio for the first time

Four days ago, now the **** is rotational

Who got paid off to play it? (I ain't scared to say it)

Said who the **** got paid off to play it?

(I ain't scared to say ****)

If you sign a recording deal for less than a $250,000

And your advance is a $100,000 automobile

I know the vehicle was probably beautiful

But did you ask your lawyer if it was recuperable?

It's nigganometry...

If you just call into a local rap radio station and ask them why they don't play positive rap or conscious rap, they'll tell you "because it doesn't sell". Thats the same thing that the record labels tell the rappers. "Conscious rap doesn't sell. So if you want to make money, you'd better make gangsta rap or club music"

And this is kinda related...SMH

With Little Brother's The Minstrel Show hitting stores next week, SOHH.com has heard BET is refusing to air the album's first video, "Lovin' It" because it is "too intelligent for the BET audience."

The video begins with a delivery truck dropping boxes labeled "gangsta," "backpackers," "earthy" and "icy" onto a street. The rest of the clip mostly sees LB and Joe Scudda, who is also featured on the song, performing in front of a capacity crowd. The clip also pokes fun at the Hip-Hop subgenres by depicting overly exaggerated backpacker and gangsta characters in the audience. "Lovin' It" also jokingly features typical scenes with Big Pooh sitting next to champagne-sipping models in the venue's VIP section while LB's entourage pop bottles. The video concludes with a car running through the boxes dropped on the street earlier.

The statement of the video being "too intelligent for the BET audiece" was discussed recently on Columbia University's college radio station, 89.9, on the "Squeeze Radio" show. On the show they said the statement was made verbatim by the program director from BET to one of the Atlantic records label reps. This information was obtainmed directly from LB's 9th Wonder.

SOHH.com contacted several officials at BET, including their vice president Stephen Hill, their program director, and publicist, Michael Llewellen who offered this response.

"It's not true, not in that context. BET reserves the right to show or not to show music videos of any type based on the network's own standards and decision-making processes," Llewellyn told SOHH.com.

When questioned further as to whether the words "too intelligent for the BET audience" was used, Llewellen did not respond. Atlantic Records has refused to comment.

http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/7519

So what I'm getting out of this whole thread is that the music producers are making the rappers use language like "ho" and "pimpin'" and "b*****'s" to sell records?

And it is against the rapper's will?

It sounds to me like its not just the producers who are addicted the almighty dollar, but the artists too. Perhaps if they really cared they would stand for their beliefs like a few underground artists that were mentioned.

Instead, they produce this gangster rap because money is more important than their own beliefs. They are just as accountable in my eyes and I applaud the rappers who don't compromise their lyrics for money.

The love of money is truly the root of all evil.

Archived