Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

M-1 of Dead Prez vs Fox News (Its Beautiful!!!!!)

Thinking Skins

So what I'm getting out of this whole thread is that the music producers are making the rappers use language like "ho" and "pimpin'" and "b*****'s" to sell records?

And it is against the rapper's will?

It sounds to me like its not just the producers who are addicted the almighty dollar, but the artists too. Perhaps if they really cared they would stand for their beliefs like a few underground artists that were mentioned.

Instead, they produce this gangster rap because money is more important than their own beliefs. They are just as accountable in my eyes and I applaud the rappers who don't compromise their lyrics for money.

The love of money is truly the root of all evil.

So your telling me you wouldn’t use language like "ho" and "pimpin'" and "b*****'s" if someone is giving you millions of money to do it? Let’s not forget that you don’t come from the greatest of neighborhoods where you see your friends selling drugs and getting killed.

I agree with you that rappers are partly to blame but please wake up! In the hood there is only one way out a great jump shot or you better be able to rap. Because you won’t get the education you need to succeed in society. Ever been to a school in the hood?

Some rappers realize the type of situation they are in (P Diddy, Jay-Z) … so they flip it … they use their celebrity to act, start a clothing line or open a restaurant. It’s there way of going “legit” because there isn’t too much difference between the rap game and the crack game.

LOL! Very easy to say

Radio companies have gone on record as saying that they will not play Dead Prez because "they make people think". Michael Eric Dyson was in studio with Cathy Hughes (owner or Radio One) when I called in and asked "isn't it hypocritical for Radio One to complain about the problems in Black America on the AM stations, then promote these very problems in Black America on the FM stations". ANd he replied (and hung up on me) by saying that "there's no market for conscious rap."

In America there's a market for everything. But the radio stations, the TV stations, and the people who control distribution don't want to promote conscious rap. So instead they'll promote a minstral show, where they'll say "I'll promote you, but only if you will make a fool of yourself". Its Amos and Andy all over again.

I'm not arguing whether or not Dead Prez gets played on the radio, I'm arguing that it's a double standard when rappers can say the same thing Imus said with no consequence, yet Imus loses his job for it.

Also, rappers do not need a record company to tell them to rap about pimps, ho's and thuig life, it's all part of the rap culture. Why do unsigned rap artists rap about the same topics as rappers that are signed?

Do you really believe that rappers wouldn't rap about the things they do without influence from the record companies?

So your telling me you wouldn’t use language like "ho" and "pimpin'" and "b*****'s" if someone is giving you millions of money to do it?
I wouldn't. Money isn't important to me. Values and people are important to me.
Let’s not forget that you don’t come from the greatest of neighborhoods where you see your friends selling drugs and getting killed.
People put limits on themselves. Its real apparent how much they care about their friends isn't it by how they are changing the industry isn't it? :doh:

I agree with you that rappers are partly to blame but please wake up! In the hood there is only one way out a great jump shot or you better be able to rap. Because you won’t get the education you need to succeed in society. Ever been to a school in the hood?
As long as people have that attitude, that will always be the case. :2cents:

But thats the entire problem with the rap industry right now. Interscope Records tells the artist "in order to get signed, you've got to say things like ...." Then the news media goes out and challenges the artists for their lyrics and say nothing to Interscope records for putting out this type of stuff. Then NBC which owns Interscope can have talk radio talking about how bad hip hop is and how its hurting our children. But its all to get money. If they wanted to change hip hop, they could do it because they have all the power. If they wanted to promote positive lyrics in hip hop, they could sign somebody like Del the funky homosapien, brother ali, eyedea, pigeon john or a ton of other underground artists. But not only do they not sign these guys, but the tell the guys who they sign that they are not allowed to put out non-commercial type songs.

What I compare it to is the situation of sexual harassment in the workplace. A boss tells his secretary obviousy degrading things, and in order to keep her job she doesn't say anything. Thats wahts going on in the rap industry. The (bosses) are the people in charge of distribution. And they tell the rap artists (who are acting like the secretaries) that in order to get a job on this label, you've got to degrade yourself and the environment around you.

And for what? So that the number one purchasers of hip hop - teenage White males - can go out and buy music degrading blacks.

You can call it the typical "white people oppress us" propaganda if you want, but I don't see how with these details this is anything but oppression by those in power.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :applause: :applause: :applause:

Nailed it!

In the hood there is only one way out a great jump shot or you better be able to rap. Because you won’t get the education you need to succeed in society. Ever been to a school in the hood?

You need to educate yourself before you spew nonsense like this. Google is your friend. Ever heard of Benjamin Banneker or Booker T. Washington or George Washington Carver or Colin Powell?

But thats the entire problem with the rap industry right now. Interscope Records tells the artist "in order to get signed, you've got to say things like ...." Then the news media goes out and challenges the artists for their lyrics and say nothing to Interscope records for putting out this type of stuff. Then NBC which owns Interscope can have talk radio talking about how bad hip hop is and how its hurting our children. But its all to get money. If they wanted to change hip hop, they could do it because they have all the power. If they wanted to promote positive lyrics in hip hop, they could sign somebody like Del the funky homosapien, brother ali, eyedea, pigeon john or a ton of other underground artists. But not only do they not sign these guys, but the tell the guys who they sign that they are not allowed to put out non-commercial type songs.

What I compare it to is the situation of sexual harassment in the workplace. A boss tells his secretary obviousy degrading things, and in order to keep her job she doesn't say anything. Thats wahts going on in the rap industry. The (bosses) are the people in charge of distribution. And they tell the rap artists (who are acting like the secretaries) that in order to get a job on this label, you've got to degrade yourself and the environment around you.

And for what? So that the number one purchasers of hip hop - teenage White males - can go out and buy music degrading blacks.

You can call it the typical "white people oppress us" propaganda if you want, but I don't see how with these details this is anything but oppression by those in power.

Exactly :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Nobody ever wants to talk about this perspective of the game.

You need to educate yourself before you spew nonsense like this. Google is your friend. Ever heard of Benjamin Banneker or Booker T. Washington or George Washington Carver or Colin Powell?

LOL!!! Ok so I went to far saying there is only one way to get out of the hood. But I thought you would get my point. (Maybe you need to educate yourself). The point I’m trying to make is that being a rapper or basketball player are the only legit dreams you can really sell in the hood. This is because in the hood you get the short end of the stick, you don’t get the best teachers, books or facilities to really make something out of yourself.

There are some of us that are able to overcome this, and by us I am also including myself. I have a B.S. in Computer Engineering and I am currently working as a Lead Software Engineer. (But I’ll still work on educating myself). I didn’t grow in the best of neighborhoods but I was able to make it. However it was a struggle because by the time I got to college I found out that I was not prepared. I spent the rest of my college career playing catch up.

Not everyone was/is as fortunate as me. So I understand where people will sell there morals for money. Shoot when your hungry you do what you got to do. I know that first hand.

LOL!!! Ok so I went to far saying there is only one way to get out of the hood. But I thought you would get my point. (Maybe you need to educate yourself). The point I’m trying to make is that being a rapper or basketball player are the only legit dreams you can really sell in the hood. This is because in the hood you get the short end of the stick, you don’t get the best teachers, books or facilities to really make something out of yourself.

There are some of us that are able to overcome this, and by us I am also including myself. I have a B.S. in Computer Engineering and I am currently working as a Lead Software Engineer. (But I’ll still work on educating myself). I didn’t grow in the best of neighborhoods but I was able to make it. However it was a struggle because by the time I got to college I found out that I was not prepared. I spent the rest of my college career playing catch up.

Not everyone was/is as fortunate as me. So I understand where people will sell there morals for money. Shoot when your hungry you do what you got to do. I know that first hand.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thats real. I attended DC schools all my life. And my last two years of high school I attended in VA. HUGE difference. I wouldve been a dam doctor if I went to schools out here all my life. But now I have my A&P (Airframe & Powerplant) certifications and I work on airplanes. But DC schools suck. Who remembers back in the early 90's when they found out that DC highschools were graduating students who were reading on a 7th grade reading level??? If you aint from the ghetto dont speak on what you dont know, because it like scraping the bottom of the burrell.

In the hood there is only one way out a great jump shot or you better be able to rap. Because you won’t get the education you need to succeed in society. Ever been to a school in the hood?

LOLOLOLOL....you can't be serious....I have lived in Jamaica (Queens), worked in East NY (Maxwell HS), and that is NOT the attitude of most of the kids and parents of those in that area. Parents want what's best for their kids. It is the LAZY/impressionable ones that you have to worry about. The lazy/impressionable ones are the lemmings who believe everything that they see and hear through the media. Anyways, I don't know what hood u grew up in, but there are plenty of successful people in various fields who do not aspire to hoop or be in the entertainment industry. What you said IMO is just a play on Biggie rapping about slinging rock, or havin a wicked jump shot.....that is such a sad attitude, and as bad as the educational system may seem, there are opportunites for these kids to continue their learning at a higher level. Whether it is going to a CC, JC, SUNY, CUNY, or what have you, opportunities will present themselves. What you said in your initial comment is makes it seem like there is no hope for anyone in urban areas. If you are successful in your respective field, take the time to go back and talk to these kids. They need all the positive influences that aren't in music videos, ESPN, etc....working with the youth is something that I enjoy. When given the chance to speak to these kids and they can see that someone like me (who wasn't given much of a shot) made it through college and grad school, then I hope that I can be a positive influence in their lives, and be an accesible influence and a person who they can look up to.

Ahh...I see where u are coming from....I jumped the gun a little bit....

I'm not arguing whether or not Dead Prez gets played on the radio, I'm arguing that it's a double standard when rappers can say the same thing Imus said with no consequence, yet Imus loses his job for it.

Also, rappers do not need a record company to tell them to rap about pimps, ho's and thuig life, it's all part of the rap culture. Why do unsigned rap artists rap about the same topics as rappers that are signed?

Do you really believe that rappers wouldn't rap about the things they do without influence from the record companies?

Actually unsigned rap artists don't rap about the same topics. Thats why there's a big calling for underground rap. As M-1 said, he doesn't use the word hoe in his lyrics. On "Lets Get Free" Dead Prez has a song "Animal in man". I love that song, because it plays off of Animal Farm. THats something I had never heard before in a rap song. You need to check your sources if you think that unsigned rap artists talk about the same things as rap artists. Check out the names I've already named, and if you still don't believe me, check out Can-I-Bus. Then try to tell me he talks about the same stuff.

Actually unsigned rap artists don't rap about the same topics. Thats why there's a big calling for underground rap. As M-1 said, he doesn't use the word hoe in his lyrics. On "Lets Get Free" Dead Prez has a song "Animal in man". I love that song, because it plays off of Animal Farm. THats something I had never heard before in a rap song. You need to check your sources if you think that unsigned rap artists talk about the same things as rap artists. Check out the names I've already named, and if you still don't believe me, check out Can-I-Bus. Then try to tell me he talks about the same stuff.

Little Brother doesn't talk about that stuff. But they are not on MTV BET 24/7 so that doesn't count I guess. :doh:

Believe me, I'm familiar with the underground scene and you can't just generalize and say that all underground rap is informative and doesn't mention the same type of things that mainstream rap does...

Check out Copywrite, Immortal Technique, Cage and other underground rappers who may have something to say once in a while but still rap about selling crack and smacking ****es...the same old story we hear from every rapper...*yawn*

So apparantely you have learned nothing in this thread and that is sad. Because there have been numerous posters laying out the difference between the rap industry and Don Imus and you still don't get it. Which is seriously mind-blowing but hey I guess you are a lost cause.

If you want to believe that a double standard exists here then so be it, just as long as you know that you are seriously misinformed and misguided in your belief.

That dude who said he wouldn't sell his morals to a record label probably grew up in a decent neighborhood and had a decent education and has had a decent life. I too wouldn't sell my morals to record companies either however I also grew up in the suburbs and I have many other options besides the various big industries and therefore I am not tempted to do any of that stuff. However when you grow up in a poorer area where there is a high crime rate, your first thought is that you wanna get out of there and do something better. If the easiest way of making it out of there is commercial rap where you get paid millions to rap from prewritten lyrics you are always going to take it no matter who you are. It really isn't fair that these people in these areas are put in that position but it is the reality of the situation. I am just glad that there are some of them there that use their position they obtain to turnaround and shed light on what is happening in those neighborhoods and try to improve them and the people in them by making conscious rap.

They are black and can use the term. Or any offensive term. We are white and since we have hate in our hearts because we are white, we cannot use that word. When black people or rappers use those words, they do no have hate in their hearts.

I find it alittle ironic, Imus used the excuse that he was being funny, and the black community din't buy it. Now the rappers are using the excuse that they are talking about REAL ho's not just black women, and that's why it OK to use the term.

Let's be real, this isn't about Imus saying ho. it's about the left fringe trying to get certain people off the air. Have we really come to the place where no one in the public forum can say what they want without being fired or banned?? I find Sharpton to be offensive, yet I just don't listen to his radio show. I don't want to see him fired. We've come to a dangerous time in history when speech is censored because one group is offended.

M-1: No, I don’t find it hypocritical mainly because of our relationship to the system – our relationship with our oppressor. Once again, with personal responsibility taken at hand here, we’re talking about rappers who are coerced to say things other than what the reality of our community is and Mr. Imus, who obviously has said sentiments that come from his personal beliefs. I think you are comparing apples and oranges here even when you bring the rap community into the question. And once -

Right here is where I realized M-1 is an idiot. It must others coercing rappers into singing about murdering and raping. Because they never sing about it before theyre signed.

Right here is where I realized M-1 is an idiot. It must others coercing rappers into singing about murdering and raping. Because they never sing about it before theyre signed.

Why does nobody see hip hop as a business? is that too hard to conceive? My man nailed it earlier when he described the bigger scheme of things and its so logical and nobody wants to believe it. Instead we're using excuses that it has to do with getting conservatives off the radio. If liberal went on racist rants it'd be the same story this has nothing to do with that. Stop making it a liberal conservative thing

They are black and can use the term. Or any offensive term. We are white and since we have hate in our hearts because we are white, we cannot use that word. When black people or rappers use those words, they do no have hate in their hearts.

I find it alittle ironic, Imus used the excuse that he was being funny, and the black community din't buy it. Now the rappers are using the excuse that they are talking about REAL ho's not just black women, and that's why it OK to use the term.

Let's be real, this isn't about Imus saying ho. it's about the left fringe trying to get certain people off the air. Have we really come to the place where no one in the public forum can say what they want without being fired or banned?? I find Sharpton to be offensive, yet I just don't listen to his radio show. I don't want to see him fired. We've come to a dangerous time in history when speech is censored because one group is offended.

I am being real and Imus using the word HO is exactly what this is about. It appears you do not know much about rap or the industry so please feel free to re-read this thread and learn something. There is a gigantic difference between what rappers say and what Imus says.

Rappers:

- Are paid millions to rap from prewrittin lyrics or modified lyrics in which they terms that will sell to the mass, very stupid, public. (in many cases)

- Hold no political weight whatsoever unless you are talking bout the giants of the rap industry i.e. nas, P.diddy, Jay-Z, eminem

Don Imus:

- Said what he was thinking and it was without provocation or reason of any kind

- Has a NATIONALLY SYNDICATED RADIO PROGRAM and therefore has many listeners who could actually be influenced by this POS imposter of a man.

And as one of the posters mentioned above. Their is no market for conscious rap and BET even said that conscious rap is too intelligent for their audience. So if you want to sell in this industry you have to folow a rigidly generic formula. Hell its the same exact thing going on in the rock industry as well except they have a different rigid formula that they have to follow.

Why does nobody see hip hop as a business? is that too hard to conceive? My man nailed it earlier when he described the bigger scheme of things and its so logical and nobody wants to believe it. Instead we're using excuses that it has to do with getting conservatives off the radio. If liberal went on racist rants it'd be the same story this has nothing to do with that. Stop making it a liberal conservative thing

You are so ignorant. All I have to say is al sharpton and jesse jackson and the rasict things they have said now and in the past and they aren't without jobs?? Keane west and the Bush comment on National TV, he's still working. Spike Lee and he still has a job. The radio program Air 1. you should hear the hateful remarks that came out of that place and they were taken off the air for that?? I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

The prevailing thought in the black community is that they are allowed because of oppression! past and present!

There's a difference between making racist remarks and making remarks that uplift their community (sharpton and jackson) if thats what it takes to motivate a community in sub-par housing, socially oppressed by lower education standards etc. As far as kanye west and spike lee they are entertainers with no political weight, "Bush hates black people" on the eve of a very controversial handling of hurricane Katrina is way different then calling somebody a nappy headed ho...and WHO he called that..lets be serious ur gonna compare those two remarks?

The prevailing thought in the black community is that they are allowed because of oppression! past and present!

I am curious how you would know what the prevailing thought in the black community is...the fact that you throw Al and Jessie int he argument, like they are actual "black leaders" shows how much you know about the prevailing thought in the black community. There is a difference between "Black Leaders' and "leading blacks"...Jessie and Al are the latter of the two.

I am curious how you would know what the prevailing thought in the black community is...the fact that you throw Al and Jessie int he argument, like they are actual "black leaders" shows how much you know about the prevailing thought in the black community. There is a difference between "Black Leaders' and "leading blacks"...Jessie and Al are the latter of the two.

And seriously why do you think there arent any true black leaders in the community?

sidenote im with you ccsl 2 just thought id reemphasize your point

So if the record producers say " wear diamonds in the video "

A person is unable to say " my people have been slaved for 1000s of years including today and I don't want to potray that message" because it's on the business.

If the producers say " talk about killing people in your nieghbor hood instead of helping them "

A person is unable to say " No I want kids to help each other and not hurt each other"

Producers say " Don't say girls or woman, say *****, ho, slut"

person can't say " but I want kids to respect women especiallly because of so many single mothers from my poor nieghborhood"

Sorry, I'm gonna have to continue to hold the individual responsable. I will share it with the comanies and the consumers as well, but ultimitly I blame the individual. I have friends whos bands (mostly punk) have turned down large company record signings because of the integrity of thier music. They could have been on MTV and made millions along with Green Day and Rancid, but turned it down and continued to live in a wharehouse and skip meals. Some people find a wallet and think score while some people just want to return it. If you come from a poor violent back ground, wouldn't that be all the more reason to do the right thing?

Archived