Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

M-1 of Dead Prez vs Fox News (Its Beautiful!!!!!)

Thinking Skins

So if the record producers say " wear diamonds in the video "

A person is unable to say " my people have been slaved for 1000s of years including today and I don't want to potray that message" because it's on the business.

If the producers say " talk about killing people in your nieghbor hood instead of helping them "

A person is unable to say " No I want kids to help each other and not hurt each other"

Producers say " Don't say girls or woman, say *****, ho, slut"

person can't say " but I want kids to respect women especiallly because of so many single mothers from my poor nieghborhood"

Sorry, I'm gonna have to continue to hold the individual responsable. I will share it with the comanies and the consumers as well, but ultimitly I blame the individual. I have friends whos bands (mostly punk) have turned down large company record signings because of the integrity of thier music. They could have been on MTV and made millions along with Green Day and Rancid, but turned it down and continued to live in a wharehouse and skip meals. Some people find a wallet and think score while some people just want to return it. If you come from a poor violent back ground, wouldn't that be all the more reason to do the right thing?

i seriously dont think people understand how poor the ghetto is lol

and being that ive been in those environments i dont see how people can argue why dont these rappers turn down the money offered to them by record execs to preserve their integrity
From what I understand of the arguement, it's because the just can't make personal decisions and it's not thier fault because they get offered a lot of money to sell out.

Little Brother doesn't talk about that stuff. But they are not on MTV BET 24/7 so that doesn't count I guess. :doh:

You know why they aren't on MTV or BET??? Because they're too smart for their audience. Not my words or feelings but BET's. They sent letters to LB & De la Soul saying that.

You all can blame the rappers but they're just making music to fit the mainstream mold and make MONEY. It's all about CUTTING THE CHECK. It's simply what sells records.

If this dude had done his homework he could have ripped M-1....."Mr. M-1, How do you feel about crackers in city hall?"

So apparantely you have learned nothing in this thread and that is sad. Because there have been numerous posters laying out the difference between the rap industry and Don Imus and you still don't get it.
Rappers:

- Are paid millions to rap from prewrittin lyrics or modified lyrics in which they terms that will sell to the mass, very stupid, public. (in many cases)

- Hold no political weight whatsoever unless you are talking bout the giants of the rap industry i.e. nas, P.diddy, Jay-Z, eminem

Don Imus:

- Said what he was thinking and it was without provocation or reason of any kind

- Has a NATIONALLY SYNDICATED RADIO PROGRAM and therefore has many listeners who could actually be influenced by this POS imposter of a man

So is this the difference you're talking about?

Your ignorance here is astounding.

So what you're trying to tell us is that people who listen to rap are (in your own words BTW) the "very stupid public," and cannot be influenced by the music they listen to?

But people listening to Don Imus can be influenced by what they listen to?

:jerk: Riiiiiiiiigggghhhhhhht.

Not only do you contradict yourself, but you prove my point here. This is nothing but a double standard on who can say what.

So if the record producers say " wear diamonds in the video "

A person is unable to say " my people have been slaved for 1000s of years including today and I don't want to potray that message" because it's on the business.

If the producers say " talk about killing people in your nieghbor hood instead of helping them "

A person is unable to say " No I want kids to help each other and not hurt each other"

Producers say " Don't say girls or woman, say *****, ho, slut"

person can't say " but I want kids to respect women especiallly because of so many single mothers from my poor nieghborhood"

Sorry, I'm gonna have to continue to hold the individual responsable. I will share it with the comanies and the consumers as well, but ultimitly I blame the individual. I have friends whos bands (mostly punk) have turned down large company record signings because of the integrity of thier music. They could have been on MTV and made millions along with Green Day and Rancid, but turned it down and continued to live in a wharehouse and skip meals. Some people find a wallet and think score while some people just want to return it. If you come from a poor violent back ground, wouldn't that be all the more reason to do the right thing?

You and I know it doesn’t go down like that. It’s more like a rapper comes into a record company talking positive music and using proper language … executives won’t buy it. The next rapper comes in talking about murdering and using foul language and he has deal within the week. So if I want to make a living rapping which approach will I use?

I remember watching an interview with Kanye and he was saying how difficult it was to get the Execs to approve of have “Jesus Walks” as a single. They told him it would never but he kept fighting. The reason he was able to that is because he had already shown that he can sell. Fairly new rappers or rappers that don’t go platinum don’t have that luxury.

You know why they aren't on MTV or BET??? Because they're too smart for their audience. Not my words or feelings but BET's. They sent letters to LB & De la Soul saying that.

You all can blame the rappers but they're just making music to fit the mainstream mold and make MONEY. It's all about CUTTING THE CHECK. It's simply what sells records.

If this dude had done his homework he could have ripped M-1....."Mr. M-1, How do you feel about crackers in city hall?"

Growing up, De La Soul was one of those bands that helped me to not fall in with the skinhead crowd a lot of my friends ran with. Then I went to see them on my birthday about 7 years ago. They just would not stop making fun of all the " stupid white crackers" that put all the money thier pockets. Really sucked. Even the hippy rap bands are full of you know what. Then I got kicked out for smokin stuff. Great B-day.

So is this the difference you're talking about?

Your ignorance here is astounding.

So what you're trying to tell us is that people who listen to rap are (in your own words BTW) the "very stupid public," and cannot be influenced by the music they listen to?

But people listening to Don Imus can be influenced by what they listen to?

:jerk: Riiiiiiiiigggghhhhhhht.

Not only do you contradict yourself, but you prove my point here. This is nothing but a double standard on who can say what.

its not about the audience though..its about the relationship between the audience and the speaker. Why does mainstream america listen to rap? for some real talk? its to entertain...why do people listen to imus? yes its entertainment but you're telling me it carries the same political baggage as rap?

I think it's funny how so many people have such strong opinions but don't have any idea how the music industry actually works.

of the entertainment industry...look at athinkingskins post on page 2

its all a big joke for these guys to laugh to the bank

Growing up, De La Soul was one of those bands that helped me to not fall in with the skinhead crowd a lot of my friends ran with. Then I went to see them on my birthday about 7 years ago. They just would not stop making fun of all the " stupid white crackers" that put all the money thier pockets. Really sucked. Even the hippy rap bands are full of you know what. Then I got kicked out for smokin stuff. Great B-day.

hippy rap band? You mean rap in it's essence, TRUE HIP-HOP.

of the entertainment industry...look at athinkingskins post on page 2

its all a big joke for these guys to laugh to the bank

I'm not one of those, I have a fairly good idea of how it works:)

its not about the audience though..its about the relationship between the audience and the speaker. Why does mainstream america listen to rap? for some real talk? its to entertain...why do people listen to imus? yes its entertainment but you're telling me it carries the same political baggage as rap?

I'm saying that rap audiences and Imus's audiences are equally as capable of being influenced by their speaker(s).

When you talk about political baggage, know that listening to Imus isn't like listening to NPR, people know Imus's history and his reputation and know that he's nothing but a shock-jock.

The cover of the current Time magazine defines the entire argument:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Timeimus.JPG

While I enjoy Dead Prez--I can't accept the argument that rappers get forced to rap about certain things. While I know that record executives are some of the lowest forms of life you'll see on this planet, and I know that they shape content based on what they feel will sell the most, but to portray the "artists" as being blameless is naive. Like ZGuy said, if the money is not that important to you, and your integrity is intact, you will walk away and remain maybe obscure and poor, but still knowing in your heart that you actually contributed something to the human experience. I understand the allure of money and a deluded sense of power, but it's just an illusion and there are hundreds or thousands of artists who do reject the money-grubber's view on the world, and do speak with their own voice.

While I enjoy Dead Prez--I can't accept the argument that rappers get forced to rap about certain things. While I know that record executives are some of the lowest forms of life you'll see on this planet, and I know that they shape content based on what they feel will sell the most, but to portray the "artists" as being blameless is naive. Like ZGuy said, if the money is not that important to you, and your integrity is intact, you will walk away and remain maybe obscure and poor, but still knowing in your heart that you actually contributed something to the human experience. I understand the allure of money and a deluded sense of power, but it's just an illusion and there are hundreds or thousands of artists who do reject the money-grubber's view on the world, and do speak with their own voice.

yeah and theyre working a bull***** 9-5

life is a game and you gotta know how to play it...

there is when its barely enough to get by and have a decent life
Well then I guess my life is worthless according to you.

Here I was fooling myself the whole time, I guess I'll just throw a pity-party now. :rolleyes:

Work hard and be satisfied with your wages. That's my motto.

Well then I guess my life is worthless according to you.

Here I was fooling myself the whole time, I guess I'll just throw a pity-party now. :rolleyes:

Work hard and be satisfied with your wages. That's my motto.

why are you guys so stubborn your on a computer at your job your not working some dead end job at modells trying to support a family. why do you have to flip it to an extreme

why are you guys so stubborn your on a computer at your job your not working some dead end job at modells trying to support a family. why do you have to flip it to an extreme
My dad who is 60 works at Dick's Sporting Goods everyday. I do an IT job, with no higher education, I barely pay the bills, and have three kids. I clear about $100 a month after everything is said and done. I'm not crying or taking it to extreme. I just have worked hard to get where I am at, sure it isn't great by America's standards, but I'm happy.

I did my time in the trenches being an HVAC helper, scraping gum off of sidewalks, being a short-order cook, loading trucks with a forklift. For about 15 years I did that stuff until I finally got a job that took me above the poverty level. And yet never did I compromise my values by doing something I thought was wrong. Matter of fact I stood up and said no more than once.

Nothing you have said changes my statement that if you compromise your values for money, you shouldn't cry about it being wrong.

Its like a pro-lifer who earns a living off of performing abortions because the money is too good.

Archived