Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

M-1 of Dead Prez vs Fox News (Its Beautiful!!!!!)

Thinking Skins

so if the opportunity came along u wouldnt leave that behind for bigger pay....thats like hitting the lotto and sayin oh man gambling is wrong im gonna turn it down
I'm leaving it to go to school to be in ministry.

Do you know what the average protestant minister salary is in the USA? The last time I checked it was $19,000 a year.

man i seriously dont understand how people can justify imus..because of what other people do...why cant he just be wrong? why is his morally wrong action justified by others morally wrong actions? what he said was wrong stop sugar coating it

Great question. Maybe people believe that Hip Hop was the reason Don Imus said those things...which is the biggest crock of manure i have ever heard...but it is very easy and lazy to blame hip hop...I have heard Whitclock lay this at the feet of hip hop, but conveniently doesn't talk about he Viacoms and the Sonys for allowing these negative aspects of hip hop (pop culture) to be aired for all children to see...those are the real culprits, but for some reason they get no blame...like i have said many times, blaming hip hop for what went down with Imus is like people blaming Barry Bonds for the steroid era in baseball...it's a crock

So if the record producers say " wear diamonds in the video "

A person is unable to say " my people have been slaved for 1000s of years including today and I don't want to potray that message" because it's on the business.

If the producers say " talk about killing people in your nieghbor hood instead of helping them "

A person is unable to say " No I want kids to help each other and not hurt each other"

Producers say " Don't say girls or woman, say *****, ho, slut"

person can't say " but I want kids to respect women especiallly because of so many single mothers from my poor nieghborhood"

Sorry, I'm gonna have to continue to hold the individual responsable. I will share it with the comanies and the consumers as well, but ultimitly I blame the individual. I have friends whos bands (mostly punk) have turned down large company record signings because of the integrity of thier music. They could have been on MTV and made millions along with Green Day and Rancid, but turned it down and continued to live in a wharehouse and skip meals. Some people find a wallet and think score while some people just want to return it. If you come from a poor violent back ground, wouldn't that be all the more reason to do the right thing?

You should listen to Jean Grae. She says that it goes down exactly like that. She refuses to make herself a sex symbol and refuses to make derogatory lyrics and hence she is without a big time record deal.

And lets get something straight. Nobody is saying that the artists don't deserve some of the blame for making the songs themselves. But people are trying to make every excuse in the book for not holding Interscope, Viacom, Radio one and the other people who are in charge of distribution responsible for their very actions which promote and encourage these artists to put out these CDs.

You should listen to Jean Grae. She says that it goes down exactly like that. She refuses to make herself a sex symbol and refuses to make derogatory lyrics and hence she is without a big time record deal.

And lets get something straight. Nobody is saying that the artists don't deserve some of the blame for making the songs themselves. But people are trying to make every excuse in the book for not holding Interscope, Viacom, Radio one and the other people who are in charge of distribution responsible for their very actions which promote and encourage these artists to put out these CDs.

:applause: :applause: :applause: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Great question. Maybe people believe that Hip Hop was the reason Don Imus said those things...which is the biggest crock of manure i have ever heard...but it is very easy and lazy to blame hip hop...I have heard Whitclock lay this at the feet of hip hop, but conveniently doesn't talk about he Viacoms and the Sonys for allowing these negative aspects of hip hop (pop culture) to be aired for all children to see...those are the real culprits, but for some reason they get no blame...like i have said many times, blaming hip hop for what went down with Imus is like people blaming Barry Bonds for the steroid era in baseball...it's a crock

Exactly. And if you want to talk about a double standard, its the companies like Radio one or NBC which owns Interscope, compaining about the damage that hip hop is doing to our culture, but taking no responsibility for it. Like Nino Brown said, "You're the one who's guilty. Let's kick the ballistics here. Ain't no Uzis made in Harlem. Not one of us in here

owns a poppy field.This thing is bigger than Nino Brown. "

None of these rappers control distribution. So if they really want to be mad about hip hop, all they need to do is stop distributing gangsta rap. But its about big business, so these companies are gonna make money by pimping the gangstas and then go on TV and say that the gangstas shouldn't be saying what they're saying.

Any of you who still don't believe me. Go to youtube and look for any interview of Jean Grae. I respect her because not only does she have rhyming skills and creativity, but she has morals and standards that she refuses to lower - and The Attack of the Attacking Things is a CLASSIC album to me. But if you watch one of her interviews, you'll hear her talk about these same problems in hip hop and why she hasn't made it big yet.

I just had to post this because it continues my point:

This is Jean Grae talking to the music industry:

"Not a thug, not a drug seller, not a gun shooter, not a stripper sex symbol…or anything your used ta/Marketing nightmare, I don’t fit into categories/I just rap, make beats and **** and sleep all these stories/All I want is the voice, all the people need is a choice, if there’s no competition, then what is the ****ing point?!”

Believe me, I'm familiar with the underground scene and you can't just generalize and say that all underground rap is informative and doesn't mention the same type of things that mainstream rap does...

Check out Copywrite, Immortal Technique, Cage and other underground rappers who may have something to say once in a while but still rap about selling crack and smacking ****es...the same old story we hear from every rapper...*yawn*

Wow. I'm surprised you put Immortal Technique in that category. have you heard Revolutionary Volume 2? You think thats just the same old stuff? Please explain.

And for the record, I'm not saying that EVERY underground rapper is all poetic and is a lyrical genius. But I'm trying to refute the generalization that you made saying that they were all just as bad as the mainstream ones. There are MANY underground rappers who have a positive/conscious voice about the issues. Even Common's song, "A Film Called Pimp", which aI first thought was just a sellout type song, has a different type twist on it because it actually shows him trying to convince an educated woman that she should be one of his hoes and she calls him stupid.

I'm not saying that a record label has no fault. I have said they did in an earlier post. I'm just saying the first person to hold accountable should be the face of it, the musician who puts his name and face on it. Also I feel the consumer is more to blame then the record companies as well and to say white suburban kids buy the records is a partial truth. White suburban kids might buy them, but so do poor black kids from the ghetto. Hip hop music and rap have brought terms like "ho" to a point of being accepted in the main stream. You can not arguee that, while you make the point that it does not make it okay. If it matters to you, the only rap I have listened to lately is Immortal Technique. I can relate a little to thier message and am not offended.

I'm not saying that a record label has no fault. I have said they did in an earlier post. I'm just saying the first person to hold accountable should be the face of it, the musician who puts his name and face on it. Also I feel the consumer is more to blame then the record companies as well and to say white suburban kids buy the records is a partial truth. White suburban kids might buy them, but so do poor black kids from the ghetto. Hip hop music and rap have brought terms like "ho" to a point of being accepted in the main stream. You can not arguee that, while you make the point that it does not make it okay. If it matters to you, the only rap I have listened to lately is Immortal Technique. I can relate a little to thier message and am not offended.

So you're saying to get mad at Pinoccio even though its the puppetmaster who's pulling all the strings. If we get mad at Pinoccio, all they'll do is crucify that puppet and find a new one. If you want things to change, you've got to go after the puppetmaster.

Ok fine. But just remember that when rap artist use the term "ho" or "b*tch", it is used in a general sense. What Imus did was call a specific group of women a bunch of "nappy headed hoes"...and when you go from the general to the specific, you raise the stakes in being criticized. You can say hip hop has some part in this argument, but don't get it twisted: Hip Hop didn't call the Rutgers women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy headed hoes", Imus did that on his own.

And you can't just say the artist are to blame. If you are talking the music industry, you are talking about everyone, from Viacom on down to the rappers. But for some reason hip hop artists are the ones to blame. I am waiting for the day when someone in the mafia gets killed and James Galdolfini or David Chase gets the blame.

And do you realize that these rappers don't even use their real name on this albums. It is always a nick name...you know why, because most of the stories rappers tell are fictional. And if you think about about it, if the rappers were actgually doing the stuff they say they do on these albums (killing people, running drugs, being a pimp, etc.), they would be arrested by now. Yes you have some examples of some rappers being in trouble with the law, but you can find the same thing in every other form of entertainment...i.e Mel Gibson, Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, etc.

Wow. I'm surprised you put Immortal Technique in that category. have you heard Revolutionary Volume 2? You think thats just the same old stuff? Please explain.

And for the record, I'm not saying that EVERY underground rapper is all poetic and is a lyrical genius. But I'm trying to refute the generalization that you made saying that they were all just as bad as the mainstream ones. There are MANY underground rappers who have a positive/conscious voice about the issues. Even Common's song, "A Film Called Pimp", which aI first thought was just a sellout type song, has a different type twist on it because it actually shows him trying to convince an educated woman that she should be one of his hoes and she calls him stupid.

And for the record I'm not saying every underground artist is the "shake your ass," cookie-cutter, club-banging garbage that's on the radio, I know that a lot of it contains positive messages because I listen to rap sometimes myself. I'm saying that lots of underground rap is just as bad in terms of making songs that talk about the same type of decadent behavior...."slapping ho's, selling crack, etc."

From the very album that you just named, a song called "Obnoxious." Sounds like something off of Eminem's first album:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/immortaltechnique/obnoxious.html

Don't click the link if you are easily offended by explicit lyrics.

*Edited Link

Ok fine. But just remember that when rap artist use the term "ho" or "b*tch", it is used in a general sense. What Imus did was call a specific group of women a bunch of "nappy headed hoes"...and when you go from the general to the specific, you raise the stakes in being criticized. You can say hip hop has some part in this argument, but don't get it twisted: Hip Hop didn't call the Rutgers women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy headed hoes", Imus did that on his own.

And you can't just say the artist are to blame. If you are talkign the music industry, you are talking about everyone, from Viacom on down to the rappers. But for some reason hip hop artists are the ones to blame. I am waiting for the day when someone in the mafia gets killed and James Galdolfini or David Chase gets the blame.

And do you realize that these rappers don't even use their real name on this albums. It is always a nick name...you know why, because most of the stories rappers tell are fictional. And if you think about about it, if the rappers were actgually doing the stuff they say they do on these albums (killing people, running drugs, being a pimp, etc.), they would be arrested by now. Yes you have some examples of some rappers being in trouble with the law, but you can find the same thing in every other form of entertainment...i.e Mel Gibson, Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, etc.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

how are people seriously still making this pro-imus argument? lets face reality people

but immortal techniques message is ultimately to defy coorporate america...would technique get away with the same stuff em gets away with...that would never sell in coorporate america and he knows it AND laughs at it

edit: thats what obnoxious is all about

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

how are people seriously still making this pro-imus argument? lets face reality people

Its not as much making pro imus arguments, more...everyone else does it arguments. Happens all the time.

Btw, you can probably group some of your posts together since most of the time youre not quoting someone, and they are a couple minutes apart.

Its not as much making pro imus arguments, more...everyone else does it arguments. Happens all the time.

Btw, you can probably group some of your posts together since most of the time youre not quoting someone, and they are a couple minutes apart.

we've addressed the everyone else argument already..its trash...thats like me running a red light and getting pulled over by a cop and saying well i saw you run it first...would that EVER work?

we've addressed the everyone else argument already..its trash...thats like me running a red light and getting pulled over by a cop and saying well i saw you run it first...would that EVER work?

We've also addressed Imus in countless other threads.

And to your question, people would say the cop is a hypocrite in that situation, which is what the people are calling rappers on this issue. So I guess it would work.

We've also addressed Imus in countless other threads.

And to your question, people would say the cop is a hypocrite in that situation, which is what the people are calling rappers on this issue. So I guess it would work.

How are the rapper's hypocrites? I didn't hear a rapper call the Rutger's women's team a bunch of "nappy headed hoes"? Imus said that about a specific group of women. He didn't say all women basketball players, he said the Rutger's women's team.

So you're saying to get mad at Pinoccio even though its the puppetmaster who's pulling all the strings. If we get mad at Pinoccio, all they'll do is crucify that puppet and find a new one. If you want things to change, you've got to go after the puppetmaster.

First off, people are not puppets unless they chose to be, so this is bunk.

Second, if the analogy didn't suck, the PM would be the consumer and the Producers would be the carpenters.

How are the rapper's hypocrites? I didn't hear a rapper call the Rutger's women's team a bunch of "nappy headed hoes"? Imus said that about a specific group of women. He didn't say all women basketball players, he said the Rutger's women's team.

Doesnt matter to me if the group was specific or not. Thats just the excuse everyone came up with as to why its ok for some people to use the term. If its a derogatory term, it works both ways.

Archived