Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The worst pundit on VT shooting - Debbie Schlussel

Sisyphus

First she hoped it was a planned Muslim terrorist attack. Asian could have meant Paki, in her words. Even if it wasn't, the attack would have given them ideas. Now she sees an Chinese student as proof that there are too many foreign students.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2007/04/who_is_the_asia.html

Stupid *****.:doh: She's bad enough, but check out the comments of her readers. :doh::doh:

The whole media today was God awful

Every single network and anchor was trying to bait the students. Trying to get them to say things like "I am scared to be here" or "we didn't know" things like that

Overwhelmingly our students represented themselves very well, didn't take the bait and represented the school great

Every single network and anchor was trying to bait the students. Trying to get them to say things like "I am scared to be here" or "we didn't know" things like that

Overwhelmingly our students represented themselves very well, didn't take the bait and represented the school great

Couldn't agree with you more. The VT students were very calm, yet concerned. They didn't seem to rush to judgement, but just showed genuine concern for their fellow students. In a time of crisis, it was nice to see a group of kids act more responsibly than the adults. I was truly impressed and wish all of VT nation my blessings.

When is the media not awful?

During some presser this afternoon. I could hear one woman in the media asking the more obnoxious questions. Trying to assign blame on people already, then being upset when they wouldn't give her more information of the kids they hadn't identified yet. I was hoping the guy next to hear would just drag her out by the hair.

When is the media not awful?
The media was not awful in the first 15-30 minutes after the incident. They told us that shootings had occurred at two locations, they identified the buildings, they interviewed a few students, and they even managed to get their hands on a cell phone video. The whole nation knew this story within minutes whereas a few decades ago we would have had to wait for the evening news.

...Unfortunately, the media was awful for the next 12 hours as they speculated about what may or may not have happenned, attempted to assign blame, and tried to find an angle on the story.

This is the same problem we have in any kind of crisis-response e.g. it would have been nice to have a 50-man armed security team at Virginia Tech today, but during the other 364 days of the year, that security force would have been an albatross on the school budget and probably a nuisance to students on a campus where armed conflict is an extremely rare occurrence ... the media is working a full-time job when we only need part-time coverage (but we don't know what part of the time).

The media was not awful in the first 15-30 minutes after the incident. They told us that shootings had occurred at two locations, they identified the buildings, they interviewed a few students, and they even managed to get their hands on a cell phone video. The whole nation knew this story within minutes whereas a few decades ago we would have had to wait for the evening news.

...Unfortunately, the media was awful for the next 12 hours as they speculated about what may or may not have happenned, attempted to assign blame, and tried to find an angle on the story.

This is the same problem we have in any kind of crisis-response e.g. it would have been nice to have a 50-man armed security team at Virginia Tech today, but during the other 364 days of the year, that security force would have been an albatross on the school budget and probably a nuisance to students on a campus where armed conflict is an extremely rare occurrence ... the media is working a full-time job when we only need part-time coverage (but we don't know what part of the time).

As always, a rational well throught out post

Its people like this who made it tough for me to walk around after 9/11. Im Indian, not muslim, and walking thru the mall was the most awkward thing ever. Numerous racial slurs were directed at me. Forget firing Imus, get rid of this *****!!!

although it is inexcusable that you went through that crap, people need to be held accountable for **** they say, and all the blame should not be directly focused on the media, no matter how poor their coverage may be of a certain event.

Couldn't agree with you more. The VT students were very calm' date=' yet concerned. They didn't seem to rush to judgement, but just showed genuine concern for their fellow students. In a time of crisis, it was nice to see a group of kids act more responsibly than the adults. I was truly impressed and wish all of VT nation my blessings.[/quote']

And that is the beauty of a young person with an "old soul" if you will. My 16 year old son was watching with me this afternoon. He has gone through a principal getting shot by a student a year before he was in the JR high school here. He embraced the legacy that this principal left behind. I am still impressed that he is this athlete, thespian, and driven high school student that sleeps upstairs. I would hope that he (or either of my two younger daughters) would never have to deal with anything resembling this. I have , and am still, raising my children to have have a belief in the goodness of the human race, However, You do not let anybody dictate your fate or your destiny. This is your life, I can guide you but you must live it.

I kept hearing it reported that the students were 'outraged' that they weren't informed of the first shooting and that classes weren't cancelled. Thing is, I never saw a student say that - I only saw it reported that they felt that way. :doh:

Unfortuntely, they'll be plenty more where that came from, from all the media.

Left and Right blogs will go at it

Rosie will blame Bush

The alphabet news agencies will have "experts" from every profession on the planet on for weeks to come.

First she hoped it was a planned Muslim terrorist attack. Asian could have meant Paki, in her words. Even if it wasn't, the attack would have given them ideas. Now she sees an Chinese student as proof that there are too many foreign students.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2007/04/who_is_the_asia.html

Stupid *****.:doh: She's bad enough, but check out the comments of her readers. :doh::doh:

To this I say.........who is Debbie Schlussel?

Archived