Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kiper Q & A, Questions relating to Skins, 4/11/07

Skinsinparadise

Robin: Hayward, CA: Is there a reason why Jamaal Anderson has been dropping down in the draft?

Mel Kiper: (1:07 PM ET ) The thing with Jamaal is, he's big, 6-5, 285 pounds. He ran in the 4.8 range. He did show he does have some quickness. He had a very productive year. I think the thing with him is if Washington is trading off of 6, it's where does Gaines Adams fall? He's the best DE. But who's the second one? Carriker or Anderson? If Anderson wins that battle, he would be in the mix for Atlanta at 8, St. Louis at 13 and Denver at 21. There's a wide range of where he's going to go.

C.Alex (silver spring,MD): In your latest draft board, you have Laron Landry going to the Skins @#6. Is he a good complement to Sean Taylor or too similiar of a safety?

Mel Kiper: (1:29 PM ET ) Most teams don't use a free and a strong safety any more. If Landry is the best defensive player at that point, they have a need in that area. Obviously, Atlanta at 8 is the ideal fit for Landry. I don't think Washington will stay at 6. I think they're trading off of 6.

Mark (brick, nj): Mel, does any team look at the top 5 offensive difference makers in this draft and, not thinking they can get one, look towards next years draft in a swap of first rounders?

Mel Kiper: (2:03 PM ET ) Some do and some don't. I'm not sure if teams do it that often. The toughest part is figuring out how many juniors will come out. You never know what those top juniors are going to do. You've got some juniors at the top of this draft board this year. Plus you don't know where you're going to be picking. How many teams think they'll be drafting 1, 2, or 3 next year? The Redskins don't have a second, third or fourth pick in this year's draft. Those are picks you should never give up. Did they think they were going to be picking early in those rounds? No.

Agreed. I happen to think he's the best defensive player in the draft. I'm hoping this is the way we go.

I am on board too if we stay at #6. Looks like for the Anderson fans on the board if Kiper is right we need to trade to about 12 -- might be gone at 13. I doubt Atlanta picks him at 8, they love at least publicly Landry.

C.Alex (silver spring,MD): In your latest draft board, you have Laron Landry going to the Skins @#6. Is he a good complement to Sean Taylor or too similiar of a safety?

Mel Kiper: (1:29 PM ET ) Most teams don't use a free and a strong safety any more. If Landry is the best defensive player at that point, they have a need in that area. Obviously, Atlanta at 8 is the ideal fit for Landry. I don't think Washington will stay at 6. I think they're trading off of 6.

Kiper is wrong here. In Williams base 46 scheme he uses a SS close to the LB's on the weakside and the FS is 10 yards back in centerfield.

There are times where the safeties roles are interchangble, but not in the base defensive package of a 46.

The reason why I do not want Landry, because I don't think it is smart investing top 6 money on two safteys.

If we can't trade down, then maybe we have no choice, but if there is a chance we can, then we should do it.

If Landry is the best defensive player at that point, they have a need in that area.
IF. Big word in that sentence. He may be the best player, he may not be. I don't think anyone can make a convincing argument that he is far and away, without a shadow of a doubt, the best defense player in the draft. Same goes for Branch or Adams. So IF there is even a tad of speculation, why not draft a guy that will help out the part of the defense that yielded 4.5 yards per carry and got only 19 sacks? Safeties are the last line of defense. We need a first line of defense!

IF. Big word in that sentence. He may be the best player, he may not be. I don't think anyone can make a convincing argument that he is far and away, without a shadow of a doubt, the best defense player in the draft. Same goes for Branch or Adams. So IF there is even a tad of speculation, why not draft a guy that will help out the part of the defense that yielded 4.5 yards per carry and got only 19 sacks? Safeties are the last line of defense. We need a first line of defense!

IMO the same doesn't go for Branch I can't recall ONE mock draft or board or anyone saying he might be the best defensive player in the draft, heck some even have him dropping out of the first round.

It's really Adams and Landry up there as the best defensive players pretty much across the board. On average, Adams is drafted higher than Landry and on average Landry is rated higher than Adams.

Really no other player is in the mix as the top defensive players in the mock draft. Seems to be consensus Landry and Adams.

Now the third best defensive player is all over the place and once in awhile but rarely its Branch -- often its Okoye.

I say we just take the BPA at whatever pick we get instead of drafting for need only. I don't feel like the DL in this draft are really worth No. 6 overall draft money. If Russell falls to us, draft him. If Landry is there at No. 6, draft him. If CJ is attainable, draft him. If Adams is available at No. 6, draft him. Trade down for all others in consideration.

Robin: Hayward, CA: Is there a reason why Jamaal Anderson has been dropping down in the draft?

Mel Kiper: (1:07 PM ET ) The thing with Jamaal is, he's big, 6-5, 285 pounds. He ran in the 4.8 range. He did show he does have some quickness. He had a very productive year. I think the thing with him is if Washington is trading off of 6, it's where does Gaines Adams fall? He's the best DE. But who's the second one? Carriker or Anderson? If Anderson wins that battle, he would be in the mix for Atlanta at 8, St. Louis at 13 and Denver at 21. There's a wide range of where he's going to go.

Is it just me or did he not even answer that question? Said he was big (closer to 6'6 if I remember correctly), then gave the wrong time for a pretty unimportant stat for a D lineman (Anderson ran a 4.75). Then he simply drops the question and states that Adams is the best DE in the draft, disregarding the fact that Adams was beaten by Anderson in the 10 yard dash, 3-cone drill, and 20 yard shuttle. But apparently that just means Anderson "has some quickness". I'm not saying he is right or wrong either way. Obviously you can tell by my sig I have my own opinion. I just wish he would have actually answered the question.

Amen ... preach on brotha!

IMO the same doesn't go for Branch I can't recall ONE mock draft or board or anyone saying he might be the best defensive player in the draft, heck some even have him dropping out of the first round.

Now the third best defensive player is all over the place and once in awhile but rarely its Branch -- often its Okoye.

Well, V. Wilfork was the 7th defensive player taken in the 2004 draft. I bet most people don't think he was the 7th best defensive player in that draft now. :2cents: Some could argue he is the best from that draft.

Kiper is wrong here. In Williams base 46 scheme he uses a SS close to the LB's on the weakside and the FS is 10 yards back in centerfield.

There are times where the safeties roles are interchangble, but not in the base defensive package of a 46.

yea, i remember last year when archuletta played up close and was used like that lb and never was back in cover 2 with ST...

Didnt anyone read Burgolds thread. We need some freaking Veggies this year!!!!!

Preach it! Believe it! We are in desperate need of some veggies.

I'm thinking of a companion piece about obesity and the need for real food, but I'm worried that "A fixation on Beer" would not go well. I think too many would just go for the beer

No, Kiper is correct, we definitley don't define our safetys as being FS or SS. As most teams don't anymore.

Archived