Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC New Blog, About Briggs

Skinsinparadise

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

I have a few guest blogs to get up this week and believe it or not, I was making some calls and sending some texts from the hospital, so I have a bit of a pulse on this Briggs thing.

The Bears are likely to hold out for another draft pick and ideally they would love the Skins just signing him to an offer sheet, from what I gather, and take those two picks are run. Otherwise, they want more than the one pick for him. I don't get the feeling he is seen as irreplaceable there by any means, and we all know that The Owner and Next Question just love doing business together. This entire pursuit of Briggs strikes as me ownership driven - wow, go figure, what a shocker? - and we'll see where it ends up. Bottom line is that Snyder speaks with his wallet, and I have heard that much like with Dre Bly, he has already let Briggs know that should he be traded here he will become a very wealthy weak-side linebacker.

Too soon to say whether it will actually happen or not, but the mere fact they are in this deep is pretty bizarre to me. Dale Lindsey gets fired at least in some small part because Rocky doesn't get on the field, and they the owner is schmoozing Next Question and Briggs a few months later, which would render Rocky a big-time spare part after giving up a heck of a lot to draft him a year ago. Whatever. Like I have said time and again, when it comes to covering this team nothing surprises me anymore.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

I have a few guest blogs to get up this week and believe it or not, I was making some calls and sending some texts from the hospital, so I have a bit of a pulse on this Briggs thing.

The Bears are likely to hold out for another draft pick and ideally they would love the Skins just signing him to an offer sheet, from what I gather, and take those two picks are run. Otherwise, they want more than the one pick for him. I don't get the feeling he is seen as irreplaceable there by any means, and we all know that The Owner and Next Question just love doing business together. This entire pursuit of Briggs strikes as me ownership driven - wow, go figure, what a shocker? - and we'll see where it ends up. Bottom line is that Snyder speaks with his wallet, and I have heard that much like with Dre Bly, he has already let Briggs know that should he be traded here he will become a very wealthy weak-side linebacker.

Too soon to say whether it will actually happen or not, but the mere fact they are in this deep is pretty bizarre to me. Dale Lindsey gets fired at least in some small part because Rocky doesn't get on the field, and they the owner is schmoozing Next Question and Briggs a few months later, which would render Rocky a big-time spare part after giving up a heck of a lot to draft him a year ago. Whatever. Like I have said time and again, when it comes to covering this team nothing surprises me anymore.

JLC seems alittle cranky, but in a way hes right, i wonder what rocky is thinking right now,actually i bet he dosnt care because he a millionare.:doh:

Yea i read that right before logging onto the ES and I was like you mean they think they get two picks? I think the redskins will get ripped for briggs and the 31st by themselves. I think Chicago is trying to drive up the price to get really interested teams away from an actual offer. If this trade becomes legit or somehow goes through (or even gets worse) we should fire the whole FO and get Matt Millen.....This is that bad...no its worse.

:logo:

Yea i read that right before logging onto the ES and I was like you mean they think they get two picks? I think the redskins will get ripped for briggs and the 31st by themselves. I think Chicago is trying to drive up the price to get really interested teams away from an actual offer. If this trade becomes legit or somehow goes through (or even gets worse) we should fire the whole FO and get Matt Millen.....This is that bad...no its worse.

:logo:

:applause:

He's right. We will be worse then even the Houston Texans if we come through with any kind of deal right now. We will be like the guy who sold the home where his family lived for a Florida scam property. This is a petting zoo deal for us which exactly what Snyder has turned this franchise into. Its so during offseason you pay money to watch training camp and practices and while during the regular season our team gets stomped regularly into another 5-11 season. Matt Millen may be retarded but at least its not his fault he was born that way. Snyder has no excuse for, literally, milking fans. I wont be one much longer if this deal goes through and we have yet another losing season. We will be worse than the Detroit franchise.

Well I have to severely question JLC on two points there...

First, Why does he mention "much like Dre Bly" when nothing happened with Dre Bly, it was a lot of idle speculation? Sure the FO has deserved some shots, but why throw shots at them for something they didnt do wrong? Seems amaturish.

Second, his comments about Lindseys firing, McIntosh, and Briggs seem to make little sense. No, I dont think Lindsey gets to tell GW which LB he can play, and Lindseys firing was for a gross mismanagement of the LB position over the past couple years. They werent going to fire Lindsey for not putting Rocky on the field and then go replace Rocky the next season. Lindsey wasnt fired because of Rocky, and we have not been that serious about going after Briggs.

The Redskins are not dumb of enough to do the deal. It was just talk.

Draft Adams or Branch or trade up for Calvin Johnson if you do not like those 2. Period.

I wish that were true but I think it's just wishful thinking. The redskins have already made an offer to the bears. That means they ARE dumb enough to do the deal. If the bears accept it's as good as done. We can only hope that the bears save our front office from their own stupidity and stand firm on their rejection of the proposal as originally made (and that the redskins don't accede to any less favorable counteroffers)

The Bears seriously think they're going to get another pick from us?

I think that pretty much says it all with regards to what others around the league think about our FO.

The bottom line is a two-time Pro Bowler, one-time All Pro at the age of 26 is worth MORE than the No. 16 pick of the NFL draft. That's what the deal works out to be if we swap six and No. 31 for Briggs. It has little to do with Chicago thinking we're dumb. Mostly, it's people here who are too dumb to know what the value of a player with that resume is in the NFL. Only by Chicago believing Briggs WON'T return to play for them do they take SO LITTLE in trade for a player of his production. Again, I don't want to do the deal because I don't believe Briggs is that good, but, there's a value to a player like him that is greater than the offer we've heard is on the table. It'd be appropriate to start letting that register with you, while still hoping we don't do it.

']I don't understand it. If Briggs is as good as made to be' date=' why are the Bears convinced that he can so easily be replaced. And shouldn't that lower his trade value? Weird.[/quote']

I agree man. Its just an odd situation no matter what side you're on.

']I don't understand it. If Briggs is as good as made to be' date=' why are the Bears convinced that he can so easily be replaced. And shouldn't that lower his trade value? Weird.[/quote']

If the Bears are asking for another pick in return for trading Briggs, it would signal they view him as more valuable, not less, with all due respect to Jason's getting the feeling on the matter. The bottom line here folks is way too many people on this board thought we were nuts to consider the trade as it is out there now, being No. 6 for No. 31 and Briggs. We thought THAT would be Chicago getting a super steal and we've been told that was offered. If it was as good a deal for the Bears as some HERE think, you'd think the Bears would have snapped it up and laughed at their good fortune. From a value standpoint, the deal we've seen on the table favors us based on what Briggs has been in the league. That doesn't mean anyone here is incorrect to question whether he's actually that good. It merely means if you can't figure out what the value of a player who has done what he's done and who is just 26, then you should never again question the front office, because you are too stupid to speak.

Funny how no other teams are showing interest in Briggs. Or at least have made real offers.

Why don't the Skins just wait until next year for Briggs? Seriously. If Chicago is really never going to give him a multiyear deal, wait him out. Try to sign him next in FA. Maybe Chicago does sign him. Or trades him to another team. Or he signs with another team next year. Maybe Rocky turns out to be a good linebacker when given the chance and we can spend the number six pick on a d-end. I'd like to see the FO show a little patience here.

Funny how no other teams are showing interest in Briggs. Or at least have made real offers.

Why don't the Skins just wait until next year for Briggs? Seriously. If Chicago is really never going to give him a multiyear deal, wait him out. Try to sign him next in FA. Maybe Chicago does sign him. Or trades him to another team. Or he signs with another team next year. Maybe Rocky turns out to be a good linebacker when given the chance and we can spend the number six pick on a d-end. I'd like to see the FO show a little patience here.

Given the FO hasn't done anything, you've been seeing patience. The guess here is this, coupled with Gibbs speaking about moving up in the draft is out there in that way to compel a team we're talking with about moving down to take it seriously that we might move up or out :). Just about everything out there right now is manipulation of someone else more than a real move. It wouldn't surprise me if we found out the Giants or Philly or even Dallas were looking at Briggs and decided to throw Snyder's good paycheck name around to assure he knows if he came here he'd get $20 million so he should ask for $21 million there.

I remain reasonably confident the Briggs deal won't happen. But, I remain reasonably confident we probably haven't heard the deal that will, so, I won't ask anyone for patience when there's no indication it doesn't exist on the part of anyone but fans of this team hyperventiliating about how dumb we are in a situation when we've not done anything.

The bottom line is a two-time Pro Bowler, one-time All Pro at the age of 26 is worth MORE than the No. 16 pick of the NFL draft. That's what the deal works out to be if we swap six and No. 31 for Briggs. It has little to do with Chicago thinking we're dumb. Mostly, it's people here who are too dumb to know what the value of a player with that resume is in the NFL. Only by Chicago believing Briggs WON'T return to play for them do they take SO LITTLE in trade for a player of his production.

We can theoretically have him at age 27 (as could 30+ other teams) at zero cost, as he's walking at year's end regardless. Since WLB is not an area of immediate need, why not risk waiting? Chicago has no leverage whatsoever, and it's therefore hard to fathom a team like the Redskins contemplating augmenting the #6 pick in the draft, by adding additional picks to their offer. Do you think other teams are lining up to offer a top 16 pick for a disgruntled, franchise tagged WLB looking to be paid at the top 4-5 at his position? Funny we haven't heard any rumors to that effect, especially as there are innumerable teams with greater needs (and with better systematic fits) at WLB than the Skins.

Will you also defend this hypothetical transaction if the Redskins add an additional pick to the equation: i.e. our 2008 2nd rounder?

The bottom line is a two-time Pro Bowler, one-time All Pro at the age of 26 is worth MORE than the No. 16 pick of the NFL draft. That's what the deal works out to be if we swap six and No. 31 for Briggs. It has little to do with Chicago thinking we're dumb. Mostly, it's people here who are too dumb to know what the value of a player with that resume is in the NFL. Only by Chicago believing Briggs WON'T return to play for them do they take SO LITTLE in trade for a player of his production. Again, I don't want to do the deal because I don't believe Briggs is that good, but, there's a value to a player like him that is greater than the offer we've heard is on the table. It'd be appropriate to start letting that register with you, while still hoping we don't do it.

People keep saying that. But how often are players dealt for picks in the upper half of the first round? Randy Moss was the last one I remember.

Teams just don't like giving that high a draft pick for any player, no matter how good and young they are. Especially when you then have to hand an enormous contract to said player. And especially a player who doesn't fill one of those "premium" positions, like QB or LT, and probably CB and DE.

Willis McGahee is certainly a safe bet to outperform most 3rd round picks, as is Thomas Jones, yet that's what they went for.

Given the FO hasn't done anything, you've been seeing patience. The guess here is this, coupled with Gibbs speaking about moving up in the draft is out there in that way to compel a team we're talking with about moving down to take it seriously that we might move up or out :). Just about everything out there right now is manipulation of someone else more than a real move. It wouldn't surprise me if we found out the Giants or Philly or even Dallas were looking at Briggs and decided to throw Snyder's good paycheck name around to assure he knows if he came here he'd get $20 million so he should ask for $21 million there.

I remain reasonably confident the Briggs deal won't happen. But, I remain reasonably confident we probably haven't heard the deal that will, so, I won't ask anyone for patience when there's no indication it doesn't exist on the part of anyone but fans of this team hyperventiliating about how dumb we are in a situation when we've not done anything.

This is the third time you've made a point to defend the FO in this thread.

We can theoretically have him at age 27 (as could 30+ other teams) at zero cost, as he's walking at year's end regardless. Since WLB is not an area of immediate need, why not risk waiting? Chicago has no leverage whatsoever, and it's therefore hard to fathom a team like the Redskins contemplating augmenting the #6 pick in the draft, by adding additional picks to their offer. Do you think other teams are lining up to offer a top 16 pick for a disgruntled, franchise tagged WLB looking to be paid at the top 4-5 at his position? Funny we haven't heard any rumors to that effect, especially as there are innumerable teams with greater needs (and with better systematic fits) at WLB than the Skins.

Will you also defend this hypothetical transaction if the Redskins add an additional pick to the equation: i.e. our 2008 2nd rounder?

Stormy,

I believe a team can franchise a player for up to three straight years, so, the Bears could keep Briggs off the market for a while if they wished and as LONG as he was playing six games a year :). I doubt it would get to that. Perhaps I'm incorrect on that though.

In any case, I'm not defending this hypothetical transaction in the slightest. I've been repeatedly on the record as not being in support of it because I don't happen to like Briggs that much. I'm merely pointing out the value of a player who's done what he's done and the continued amusement at people who simply can't figure that out. Though the deal would represent great value for us, I still would be against it because I don't believe Briggs is actually as good as he's appeared to be. I just don't believe my views on that matter all that much, and I do believe what the man's done has value in this league.

Any trade for Briggs will likely occur after the draft in my opinion, regardless of who gets him.

This is the third time you've made a point to defend the FO in this thread.

Your point?

If an effort to get people to be more intelligent than they appear willing to be on their own is defending the front office, then, I'll keep doing that a lot. If mentioning to someone wishing our front office would show patience in the Briggs situation, one where nothing has happened, that, in fact, nothing has happened, so, wish for patience when something has is defending the front office, I'd ask why aren't you helping out?

Or, put simply, as it relates to Briggs, it appears people think it's appropriate to bash it because Chicago may, or may not, have considered he has more value than the No. 6 pick at loss of their No. 31, and the request we wait a year or some odd thing. If we trade for Briggs, I'll be in that thread, like this one, saying it's not a move I like, fully understand or wished to see.

Until then, you'll have to bear with me if I keep reminding people that nothing's happened and Briggs has value in a trade. I grant you it's an amazing thing both efforts are necessary on my part, but, make that change and you'll have won a friend.

Archived