Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Closest Wide Receiver That Plays Now, That Reminds You of Art Monk

Commander Adama

Laveraneous Coles. Makes the tough catches, earns his yards and sometimes makes an absolutely spectacular tromp through the defense for a score.

Art was better at it though. :)

Agreed!!!:applause: :applause: :applause:

I always wondered why he did not play with that kind of heart when he was here.

Agreed!!!:applause: :applause: :applause:

b/c he, like MANY others, came here for the money, and not for the love of the game. once he decided that he loved the game again, he went back to the jets.

maybe we (the FO) should actually learn. and not ignore history and not do the briggs deal.

You clearly don't remember Coles' tenure here. Having a locker room issue with the offense or the QB or coach or end-of-season break with the team didn't stop Coles from playing with a ton of heart.

Who else was taking 2 yard passes and fighting and getting hit for extra yards. Who took that massive shot from, was it Dawkins or Williams? and got back up to signal first down and show he was not hurt?

Coles played with a ton of heart here. Yeah, he liked the money but I'm sure if the situation had been better, he'd have wanted to stay.

Just wondering, why are people naming burners or deep threats like Fitzgerald and Harrison. Art was a possesion guy who made the tough catch and was damn good at it. Boldin, Ward, ect ect.

Not true. Fitzgerald is a guy who doesn't get a ton of separation but outphysicals his opponents. He's a deep threat only in the sense of outjumping the DB. Monk got separation AND used his frame to shield the ball from defenders.

It would also be wrong, I think, to portray Monk as some kind of slow receiver.

Harrison's ypc is lower than Monk's. Sure, he gets touchdowns but he also has Peyton throwing them, that has helped.

Neither Boldin nor Monk are strictly possession guys.

Not true. Fitzgerald is a guy who doesn't get a ton of separation but outphysicals his opponents. He's a deep threat only in the sense of outjumping the DB. Monk got separation AND used his frame to shield the ball from defenders.

It would also be wrong, I think, to portray Monk as some kind of slow receiver.

Harrison's ypc is lower than Monk's. Sure, he gets touchdowns but he also has Peyton throwing them, that has helped.

Neither Boldin nor Monk are strictly possession guys.

I agree Boldin nor Monk are strictly possesion guys, but they are possesion type WRs who make the tough catch in traffic and get the much needed first down.

I would say Monk is also alot like Reggie Wayne. Harrison is special in that he is a burner but has no problem getting dirty either.

I agree Boldin nor Monk are strictly possesion guys, but they are possesion type WRs who make the tough catch in traffic and get the much needed first down.

I would say Monk is also alot like Reggie Wayne. Harrison is special in that he is a burner but has no problem getting dirty either.

Reggie Wayne has a more similar build to Monk, but I feel like in the Colts system, Wayne is running more deep routes while Harrison is the one making the tough first downs like Monk did.

Harrison is definitely more of a speed guy, and a smaller player than Monk, but he plays a similar role because in today's NFL, with the crackdown on contact beyond 5 yards, you don't need to be quite as big and strong to get those tough yards. The comparison is also easy to make because of their personalities ... and they both went to Syracuse.

It's interesting to compare the '88 Redskins to the '04 Colts, two of the few teams to have 3 1,000-yard receivers:

1988 Redskins WR's:

Clark: 79rec 1229yds 15.6ypc 9tds

Monk: 86rec 1186yds 13.8ypc 8tds

Sanders: 80rec 1138yds 14.2ypc 4tds

2004 Colts WR's:

Wayne: 77rec 1210yds 15.7ypc 12tds

Harrison: 86rec 1113yds 12.9ypc 15tds

Stokley: 68rec 1077yds 15.8ypc 10tds

On that stat sheet, Wayne matches up with Clark, Harrison with Monk, and Stokley with Sanders.

Ward because he's had different QBs throwing to him his whole career... He also played a different position in college than he did in the Pros (even tho it was QB to Monk's RB). I also like comparing him to Isaac Bruce... Bruce will undoubtedly be overshadowed by Tory Holt, but his stats say he should be in the Hall. It will be interesting to see what they do with Isaac Bruce when the time comes.

You clearly don't remember Coles' tenure here. Having a locker room issue with the offense or the QB or coach or end-of-season break with the team didn't stop Coles from playing with a ton of heart.

Who else was taking 2 yard passes and fighting and getting hit for extra yards. Who took that massive shot from, was it Dawkins or Williams? and got back up to signal first down and show he was not hurt?

Coles played with a ton of heart here. Yeah, he liked the money but I'm sure if the situation had been better, he'd have wanted to stay.

I agree with you. I don't remember Coles ever playing without heart. I'm glad we have Moss, but I really liked what we had in Coles when healthy. I still have my old Coles jersey.

Archived