Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Closest Wide Receiver That Plays Now, That Reminds You of Art Monk

Commander Adama

Wow great one....Hines Ward! He is a quintessential team player, takes a hit to make the catch. Good call! I still think Art was better though.

Boldin is a fantastic one! His value dropped and Arizona got a steal with him. Great player, great attitude!

Definitely Harrison is faster, but Art was bigger and went across the middle.

Does anyone think Calvin Johnson might be of an Art Monk mold? Needs to play in the NFL first? Does he have the potential?

*To Any HOF Voters that may read ES....get Art Monk in the hall!!!!!!!!*

I think he could be, and have said as much several times including last night on this very board. I think Coach Gibbs thinks he could fill that role as well.

I'd say Hines Ward like most. Classy guy who doesn't get the credit he deserves. Hard nosed, good blocker are descriptive of both.

A younger guy with more size is Andre Johnson. Johnson may have a little more explosion and he has an incredible upside.

I was just thinking about, what player today reminds me the most of Art Monk. I thought maybe Marvin Harrison, but while he is a great receiver he didn't have Art's size nor did he go over the middle like Art Monk used to. Forget about TO and Randy Moss...one's a basket case, while the other quits on plays. I can't seem to come up with anyone that was like him. Anyone else?

HTTR

He's only played a year, but Colston down in New Orleans. Not great speed, but good hands, makes the tough catch over the middle.

Marvin Harrison. Harrison has many things in common with Art Monk: Great character, the ability to move the chains, longevity, and the single season receptions record.

Still, Art was better because he also had the career receptions record and never had anybody like Peyton Manning throwing him the ball.

Marvin Harrison has many things in common with Art Monk: Great character, moving the chains, longevity, and the single season reception record.

Still, Art was better because he also had the career receptions record and never had anybody like Peyton Manning throwing him the ball.

This is not April fools anymore.

You cannot penalize Harrison because of the QB that throws to him.

Does that make Monk better then Rice because Rice had Montana and Young throwing to him?

This is not April fools anymore.

You cannot penalize Harrison because of the QB that throws to him.

Does that make Monk better then Rice because Rice had Montana and Young throwing to him?

Well, yes and no.

No, Monk was not better than Rice. Rice is the best ever. Although, Jerry Rice has said that Art Monk was the guy he looked up to.

But, yes, a Hall of Fame quarterback is a huge advantage to a receiver. You have to remember that guys like Marvin Harrison, Jerry Rice, and Michael Irvin all had the benefit of Hall of Fame quarterbacks throwing them the ball. This is a luxury Art Monk never had. Surely, that should say something about Monk's productivity compared to Irvin, Rice, and Harrison's.

I do not wish to penalize Harrison. I was comparing him to a beloved Redskin after all! Marvin is actually one of my favorite non-Redskins in the NFL right now. He is on my fantasy team. I love the guy. I think he was a lot like Monk (for the reason I enumerated earlier), I just think Art Monk was better.

id say Marvin Harrison

I rarely see Harrison put his head down instead of going out of bounds. If you watch the HOF video case for Monk, its shocking how often he would put his head down to get the extra 3 yards. I can't think of a receiver out there today who does that.

I realize it was only his rookie year but, what about the 7th round pick last year for the Saints. I believe his name was Marcus Colston(sp) the game we played them ,the kid went across the middle and took some big hits but, kept coming back for more. Again I understand he's a rook but he had a Monk like begining.

When people say Hines Ward, I think to myself, what is one of the first things I think about when I think of Hines, and the first thing that comes to me is that he is the best blocking WR in the game.

Now Monk was a good blocker but you rarely if at all see him de-cleat someone, or put a great hit on a CB or Safety. Hines without a doubt is one of the best blocking WR that has come along in a long long time.

During the Posse days, Monk was the possession receiver with Sanders being the deep threat and Clark doing the dirty work. That is not saying that the roles where ever reversed, that Monk never caught a bomb, or went over the middle, but that was thier roles.

Keyshawn or Horn was another good example. Believe it or not, Michael Irvin played alot like monk, using his body to his advantage.

When people say Hines Ward, I think to myself, what is one of the first things I think about when I think of Hines, and the first thing that comes to me is that he is the best blocking WR in the game.

That is what I thought too.

The reason I say AJ Johson is becasue he is quiet like Monk and he gose out there and gets the job done. And I really really hope that Matt Cotton Schaub treats him the same way Carr did and dosen't come here and mess it up.

I disagree with those of you comparing Monk to guys who have never set any records. Monk raised the bar for all receivers who came after him. I think whoever he is compared to should also be one of the very best. To me, that rules out younger players and even very good players like Hines Ward. Monk should really only be compared to the most elite players.

Archived