Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: 'Skins Meeting W/ Russell Means Nothing; Why Lenny P Hates Us

Fifty Gut

POSTED 6:03 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 6:36 a.m. EDT, March 30, 2007

'SKINS MEETING WITH RUSSELL MEANS NOTHING

Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com, who used to have Redskins' exec Vinny Cerrato on speed dial until Len (as legend goes) went bonkos on Cerrato after he didn't spoon feed the scoop regarding the return of coach Joe Gibbs to ESPN.com, has periodically been taking gratuitous shots at the 'Skins ever since.

This time around, Len is using a standard pre-draft visit with quarterback JaMarcus Russell to suggest that it might be more than mere due diligence. "t could represent legitimate interest in Russell -- whose recent campus workout was impressive -- and possible unrest with Campbell," Pasquarelli says.

It isn't. NFL teams are permitted by rule to bring in up to 30 members of the draft class. They'll also be bringing in running back Adrian Peterson, and others. So Len (or anyone else) could proclaim: "It could represent legitimate interest in Peterson -- whose recent campus workout was impressive -- and possible unrest with Clinton Portis."

And does the visit of Joe Thomas mean that they've grown dissatisfied with Chris Samuels? And could the arrival of Brady Quinn mean that they're bracing for a Manning-versus-Leaf debate in their effort to replace Campbell?

The Redskins are simply doing their homework, in the unlikely event that Russell slides into their laps. Since they have no selections from rounds two through four, the 'Skins don't have the draft-pick ammo to make a move north. And they likely couldn't take the cap hit that result from trading multiple players.

Two years ago, quarterback Aaron Rodgers unexpectedly slid from the potential No. 1 overall selection to the Packers, at No. 24. We've heard on multiple occasions over the past two years that the Packers pounced on the potential replacement for Brett Favre, but that they simply hadn't done a full pre-draft workup on him because they never dreamed that he'd be available.

The better approach is to be ready for anything. So why not take full advantage of the rule that lets a team bring in up to 30 guys? The fact that the 'Skins tend to spare no expense also could help to make that first impression a very good one, making the player inclined to consider Washington when he hits free agency.

And, after all, free agency is the "real" draft for the Redskins.

- PFT

POSTED 6:03 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 6:36 a.m. EDT, March 30, 2007

'SKINS MEETING WITH RUSSELL MEANS NOTHING

[/size][/font] [/left]

Two years ago, quarterback Aaron Rodgers unexpectedly slid from the potential No. 1 overall selection to the Packers, at No. 24. We've heard on multiple occasions over the past two years that the Packers pounced on the potential replacement for Brett Favre, but that they simply hadn't done a full pre-draft workup on him because they never dreamed that he'd be available.

The better approach is to be ready for anything. So why not take full advantage of the rule that lets a team bring in up to 30 guys? The fact that the 'Skins tend to spare no expense also could help to make that first impression a very good one, making the player inclined to consider Washington when he hits free agency.

- PFT

To those of us that pause and breathe before getting excited about a player's visit this comes as no surprise......however, it is nice to see an example of why it's important to do your homework on top players in the draft regardless of what their position is....

I've explained this portion of the rift with Lenny for a while here. There's more to it involving the Washington Times, but, the agenda has always been there. This is just the first time someone has put the legend well known into a forum read by more than Redskin fans :).

I've explained this portion of the rift with Lenny for a while here. There's more to it involving the Washington Times, but, the agenda has always been there. This is just the first time someone has put the legend well known into a forum read by more than Redskin fans :).

What happened with the Times...as if we need more of a reason to hate Fatassarelli

That's the best part about it. I know for a fact I've heard ESPN personalities say on radio that they like to read PFT.

I've talked to a buddy of mine about Lenny P's disdain for the Skins for two years now. He never agreed with me...

Pastabelly's article yesterday confirmed it yet again, and my buddy is finally starting to come around.

Thanks for posting this... it is nice to see that there are certain individuals and sites that will expose the truth when it comes to the personal agendas and bias of sportswriters, no matter how much money they make and no matter what network they work for.

Does anybody have a list of other teams that Russell met or is scheduled to meet with? I know there were over 100 NFL personnel guys there at his pro day. I'd love to see if someone like New England or Indy did but with them it's just thorough preparation.

I'm sure if we don't draft him Lenny the Hut will come back and say we desperately tried to move up to get him but because we foolishly traded away all our draft picks didn't have the ammunition to do it.

Lenny's hatred for the Skins precedes the Gibbs scoop, if I recall correctly, but it's for roughly that reason. It might even revolve around the Spurrier hiring. Basically, he was ticked off that Vinny didn't do his job for him, which meant he had read CNNSI and Foxsports to get scoops. That's a lot of work when you're trying to microwave 6 beef, beef & beef burritos and deep fry an ostrich for an mid-morning snack. Give the guy a break -- he's BUSY!!!!

ESPN should stop pretending he's a reporting, and start admitting he's an opinion writer. You do that, and then he can rant on whatever and people won't be confused.

I think it's funny that all of these sports sites call these guys experts. WTF have they done to become experts?

I go to school for several years, then work in my field for 15 years and don't get to call myself an expert.

What exactly is Pasta an expert of anyway? I know the only time I'd ever consult Pasta as an expert of any field would be when I am in need of an all you can eat Buffet or if I was ever in the market for a cholesterol test kit.

ESPN should stop pretending he's a reporting, and start admitting he's an opinion writer. You do that, and then he can rant on whatever and people won't be confused.
I've honestly always thought of him as a commentator, and not a real reporter. Remember, "My bet is, by the time all is said done, he'll be just another ordinary joe." :mad:

Archived