Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about if Calvin Johnson falls to the 6th pick

XtremeFan55

if CJ falls to us, YOU DRAFT HIM, who cares if we are loaded at receiver, he is BPA. That or you COMPLETELY fleece another team for picks. I'm talking first, 2nd, maybe 3rd, and a first next year. ala LT-Vick or Rivers-Manning.

if CJ falls to us, YOU DRAFT HIM, who cares if we are loaded at receiver, he is BPA. That or you COMPLETELY fleece another team for picks. I'm talking first, 2nd, maybe 3rd, and a first next year. ala LT-Vick or Rivers-Manning.

I'd agree with that one. In the incredibly unlikely event that he falls to you, you completely bend over any team that wants him. If they want him that bad, and some team will, they will give up a ton to move to that spot. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and maybe a player thrown in to boot. The guy is probably the best WR to come out of the draft in a decade.

Lets say he has a weed problem. That usually gets guys to fall out of their proper draft positions.

Hey stop making crap up, unless you got proof to cite don't start that crap.

Now as for CJ falling, if he falls and I mean only IF not when I think you at least test the trade waters. If we can pick up a slew of picks then it may be worth considering, but if no offers, I've got no problem drafting the guy at #6.

However, the odds are 1,075,000 to one against him falling to us.

First off if Oakland doesn't take Jamarcuss russel or Oline talent, they likely have a vet QB brought in to play and is likely to take CJ.

Second, Detroit may trade down, if they trade down its quite possible that they trade down with someone that will then take CJ.

Third, Tampa will draft CJ IF Gruden decides no DL talent will help his defense immediately. If CJ falls to hear the odds are more like 1/500,000 that he falls to us. After that zona and cleveland won't take it so yeah he could fall, but I don't see it happening. He is too good a player to fall out of the top five. he's the ONLY player for sure locked as a top five pick to someone.

But if he should fall I say draft the kid and laugh to the bank on it, but it aint going to happen, enjoy the thought before draft day cause after reality will set in and we will end up drafting Dline at #6 or trading down anyways.

I don't care if you are joking or serious about this, thats out right demagoguing and defaming of the mans character. Until CJ does something that is publicized I don't want to hear any such crap, it isn't right at all regardless of whether we benefit from it or not as a club

If I win the lottery, I am definitely quitting my job.

Not I, if I win the lottery I will go to work every day, save some serious loot and just relax. Imagine how much stress you will alieviate if you went to work knowing you had a cool couple of million chillin in a bank somewhere?

I just love my job I guess. Not only that, but I'd get bored sitting around at home. The only friends I'd have are mooches that don't have jobs and want to live off my money. Screw that. May as well go to work. Sides, maybe there's a lil hottie you wanted to ask out - would be pretty easy now. Hey, yah I'm the guy that just won mega millions, wanna scrump?

Impossible.

Here's the thing: If he is falling in the draft to #6 from his projected top 3 status, something has obviously gone wrong (some kind of personal issue or something else) so even if he does fall there...the probability of somebody wanting to trade up a few slots becomes weaker.

At that point, you have to weigh your options...you obviously want to address the D-line, but trading down too far (beyond top 10) means they probably won't be able to net a stud D-linemen (Adams/Anderson/Branch) so at that juncture of the draft, you'd want to stay at #6 and draft the top guy on the Redskins draft board.

If Calvin Johnson falls to the 6th pick then the Redskins should try and leverage the situation to get the best possible deal to trade down.

Absolutely. We would be insane to use the pick on him given our needs and the risks associated with WR's.

Besides, prior to Marvin Harrison this year, who's the last WR to play for the Super Bowl champion who you think is a bona fide Hall of Fame candidate? IMHO I think that person is Torry Holt in 1999 for the Rams. Moral? You don't need supremely talented WR's to build a championship team.

I agree with those that say there's no way we'd get him if he began to slide.

It's a pipe dream to look at the draft order as it currently exists and say "well, the Lions don't want him, the Cardinals don't need him, etc."

There are PLENTY of NFL teams that would be jumping out of their chairs to offer the farm to the teams in front of us for a chance at CJ.

There is ZERO, I repeat, ZERO chance of CJ dropping to 6th, barring the bubonic plague striking EVERY OTHER nfl team, who, even if CJ were available, would trade up right over our heads.

If CJ is available after pick 1, Detroit, Cleveland, and Tampa will have their phones ringing off the hook. Arizona won't, cuz they'll just go after whoever they think we want.

The only way to suck worse than the Redskins is to try to be like the Redskins, which a bunch of teams are doing now.

Oh well, we might suck, but we sure look cool sucking :-)

I think you guys are overstating this a tad because you're only focusing on Johnson's perceived talent and not the needs/situations of the five teams in front of us. Take a look:

Oakland: Their offense is abysmal all over, and in fact a good case can be made that their WR's are not only the best thing they have going for them on offense, but are also the best WR corps in their division, at least on paper. They need a QB plain and simple, and will be drafting either Quinn or Russell.

Lions: They've spent first round draft picks on WR's three of the last four years, and two of those three are busts. Motown will riot and crucify Millen if he drafts a WR in the first round.

Tampa Bay: The best possibility by far to draft Johnson. If he goes it will be here. Still, if Quinn is available I could see Gruden drooling over him and grabbing him here, given that Garcia provides him with a starter for a year or maybe two, and Simms and Gradkowski don't look like the answer there. There's also an outside shot of them drafting OT Joe Thomas.

Cleveland: They need a QB, and the word today is that they're shopping Frye. I think they're banking on taking Quinn and Russell given that they appear to be trying to address their o-line issues through free agency. They also just drafted a WR two years ago in Braylon Edwards. They could also grab a RB here though, as that is definitely a position of need too.

Arizona: They have arguably the top WR trio in the league in Boldin, Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson, and they've just drafted their franchise QB last year in Leinart. I think they draft either a o-lineman for Grimm and Whisenhunt to coach up, or grab DE Jamaal Anderson here.

Archived