Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins did not overpay for Randle el & Brandon Lloyd

Hindsight is such a wonderful tool. Lloyd was overpaid for in draft picks, his salary given that he was a multiyear starter who looked very good at times with horrid qbing was high, but based on this year's salaries not totally insane. Lloyd looked to be a really good player. I still don't know if Lloyd's performance had more to do with Brunell being afraid to throw anything longer than a swing pass or a screen or Lloyd. I think it's a bit of both. He probably also got intensely frustrated by the time Campbell came in. I remember reading that he was constantly open in the early part of the year, but Brunell almost never even looked his way preferring to throw it deep out of bounds.

Burleson was stuck behind a bunch of receievers. If D-Jax gets traded, he'll be able to start and then you can see if he's worth the money.

So Burleson had half the numbers and twice the salary and you're making excuses for him? Classic. :laugh:

Lloyd was overpaid because of not only has he never produced on the field to merit the contract he received, but we also gave up a third-round draft choice in 2006 and a fourth-round draft choice in 2007. That hurts no matter how much of a homer you are.

I am not going to say too many negative things about the Welker signing. With a qb like Tom Brady, if welker stays healthy, he is going to get the football and be in a position to make plays. Just take last year for instance, when guys like Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell were catching passes.

As for Bennett, though a bit inconsistent, he has put up decent numbers in the league and going into free agency, he was looked at as being one of the top WR's available, so I am not surprised by his contract.

People look at the big number and freak out everytime. The important # is the bonus amount because that's what is paid up front and that is what is prorated over the length of the deal.

Randle El costs about 2.5 mil against the cap (on average) until 2011. Do you think he is a $2.5 mil type player? I certainly do.

Even Clements deal which is the richest in NFL history is costing the 49ers about $4 mil on average per year until 2011/12 in which case he will either be out of the league or redoing the deal again.

You have to keep in mind the nature of how these contracts are written. The total contact number is just smoke and mirrors.

Back to the point about Randle El and Lloyd.. both guys are about 2.5 mil per year on average so well worth it.

Lloyd was overpaid because of not only has he never produced on the field to merit the contract he received, but we also gave up a third-round draft choice in 2006 and a fourth-round draft choice in 2007. That hurts no matter how much of a homer you are.

So having over 700 yards and more than 15 yard per catch the year we signed him there is no way he is worth that. Even after you see the going price of WR and knowing it's going up. What if has 1000 yards this year?

randle el was definitely a bargain. lloyd, not so much.
You will see Lloyd produce this year. Last year was not his fault. He was a victim of the new scheme. I saw him wide open for most of the first part of the season only to have the ball thrown to Moss or Cooley or the back out of the back field.

The problem is this years market with the salary cap space and the inflation we see every year.

Players are no where near that kind of money but with all that cap space to spend and no one to spend it on, we are seeing record numbers for average players that are far less talented than guys signed with less contracts. It's all about the inflation of the cap space, teams that are desperate, and not that much out there to spend it on.

While I was unhappy with the Lloyd deal last year, we had to make that trade to find a WR to complement Moss. Remember the Seattle playoff game? We had no legitimate #2 WR. Next, Lloyd was often open; Brunell never threw the ball to him. I am no expert, but sitting in the stands at FedEx and watching the plays develop, instead of the narrow vision that tv gives you, you see a lot more of the game.

Finally, NE's offer to Welker has 2 componenets: not only do the get a Branch-like WR, and a kick-returner, they also weaken a division rival.

:helmet:

Damn, Welker got paid.

That is a crazy contract....

what about dennis northcut!.....

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/030307/jag_northcutt.shtml

Jaguars agree to terms with receiver Northcutt

The Jaguars and wide receiver Dennis Northcutt agreed to a five-year contract worth an average of $3.4 million per season, the Times-Union has learned. Northcutt, who had 276 receptions for 3,438 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven seasons with the Cleveland Browns, also receives a $4.5 million signing bonus

So having over 700 yards and more than 15 yard per catch the year we signed him there is no way he is worth that. Even after you see the going price of WR and knowing it's going up. What if has 1000 yards this year?

I dont know which Brandon Lloyd you're talking about.

Im talking about the waste of jersey that had a grand total of 365 yards receiving last year, with ZERO TD's. Had NO GAMES where he caught more that 4 balls, had THREE games (including one that went OT) that he caught ZERO passes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6460

His numbers were almost David Patten-esque in their futility.

But then again we should be too disappointed in his effort of 2006

23 receptions 365 yards 15.9 YPC 0 TD

because they are comparable to his career averages

35 receptions 303 yards 14.5 YPC and 4.3 TD's per year.

Whoever in the organization said "Yeah this Brandon Lloyd kid is worth giving up two first day draft picks! Let's sign him!" should be bound and gagged and run out of Landover while wearing a Cowboys jersey.

Face it people, we could have brought back Rod Gardner last year for 1M or so and seen better numbers than Lloyd put up. He should do better in the future but seems to be a whiny ***** considering he did next to nothing on the field.

Yes they did. We paid top dollar hoping one of them would turn into a legit #2, and the other would be a nice third option/slot guy. Neither paid off, as a few of knew would probably happen. I was half right. I was 100% certain ARE would be a bust. There's simply nothing in his history to support the idea that he's even better than Alexander Wright was as a receiver, let alone an Alvin Harper type partner in crime. Lloyd at least had some history as a decent start. I was wrong about him, I thought he might be able to get it done, since I'd seen him be productive in SF, but didn't pay enough heed to "cancer guy" rumors (reports that teammates asked management that he be traded or released, something unheard of in my time spent paying attention the league and living in SF). Neither is a legit starter, neither has proven they ever will be, though there remains time.

Welker may be a 1 year wonder, but the scouting reports on him are very high, and he was productive this year despite playing for an injured Culpepper, and Harrington. Drew Bennett is at best mediocre, but unlike Lloyd or ARE, he's at least been consistently mediocre-above average.

Yes we did overpay, that is if we thought we were getting starters. All this being said, ARE gets a chance to work with Campbell for a full offseason, and maybe he turns the corner this year. Considering Lloyds character issues, I imagine they will simply bench him and cut him after the '07 season if not before. There is no recouping that money from what I can tell.

these numbers mean nothing without showing the amount of guaranteed money.

that is all that matters in nfl contracts.

And this is the truth above all truths. I can't believe mediots remain so intellectually dishonest about contract headlines. At least they're getting a little bit more savvy these days though.

For the record I think ARE is and will continue to be a good investment because of his versatility (playing out of the backfield and punt returns) but I think it was a dire mistake to pay Lloyd when he still had a year left on his contract.

Lloyd got a 10 mil bonus right? That fact alone makes him overpaid in my book. Things could change though...

Welker might have been payed alot but the Pats will find a way to utilize him and make it work...I'd rather have Welker than Lloyd. I do agree though it makes me feel better when i see team dishing out more cash than we did...lol

Archived