Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Skins target Fletcher Sturdy Linebacker, Smoot Seen as Possible Free Agent Signees

Skinsinparadise

You do not need a hall of fame player to be a Flecher. Flecher is not even a borderline pro bowler.

He will go along like the rest of the redskins average over paid players

Keep going man... Fletcher was 3rd in the entire league last year in tackles. That's certainly average, right?

:insane:

Are you done yet?

People tend to believe what the media says too often. Teams are not going to tell "sources" what players they want or do not want, especially with the draft. Too much possible movement for a team to fall in love with one player and then advertise it to the media. I don't really believe they aren't impressed with Adams or Branch. They may have put that impression out there and also that they love Anderson to get other teams to talk with them about trading down. You just never know.

People tend to believe what the media says too often. Teams are not going to tell "sources" what players they want or do not want, especially with the draft. Too much possible movement for a team to fall in love with one player and then advertise it to the media. I don't really believe they aren't impressed with Adams or Branch. They may have put that impression out there and also that they love Anderson to get other teams to talk with them about trading down. You just never know.

I hope you're right. I remember the Jason Campbell stuff. How that can get out that you're going after a player in the mid-twenties a couple of days before the draft is beyond me.

They have some loose lips in Redskins Park. Hopefully they are releasing some smoke too.

Seriously, you may wish to consider whether opening your mouth is a wise thing in this world. This team was interested in Santana Moss and Marcus Washington and Cornelius Griffin and Shawn Springs and Clinton Portis too. What reminds you of them. The benefit of free agent or other offseason acquisitions has been in our favor. If all you can think about is one of the few that has not worked out, you need to improve your understanding.

Fletcher has been a pretty solid player for a long time. He's actually a short linebacker, but not a small one. I think seeing your comments reveals the real issue with this move is you don't know enough about the game to know whether it's good or bad and you lack the willpower to avoid notice.

Damn. :)

You do not need a hall of fame player to be a Flecher. Flecher is not even a borderline pro bowler.

He will go along like the rest of the redskins average over paid players

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12371

Fletcher has put up probowl numbers almost every year. He's even been to a couple of them. He knows the system well and doesn't have a history of injury. He is a team leader, meaning he will put people into position, will understand what the offense is doing and adjust our D as necessary, and can help rally this team if we are down. This isn't a bust move, it is a smart move. In fact, Gibbs has had more free agents pan out than bust, although allowing Arch and Lloyd just one year to prove themselves is bogus. Do some research before you type. Wanting a younger guy is understandable, but acting like Fletcher is some bum is foolish.

Here is my analysis for whatever it is worth. Fletcher is a forgone conclusion. Although small in terms of height ... he plays bigger and will be a good fit for the Skins as a run plugger and good coverage man in the middle ... I remember how well he played for the Rams when they made their SB run several years ago. In the short term this will be a sorely needed linebacker corps upgrade for the Skins who will move LM to the outside to share time with McIntosh. The interesting news is Kearney ... if he is signed that will upgrade the DL "immediately" ... none of the potential draft studs (Adams, Branch or even Anderson) figure to do that and the Skins can grab an impact player at 6 (CJ, Landry, Ginn) or trade down or up ... the point is they they will have more flexibility to toy with the high pick). The Smoot situation puzzles me ... he is not that good a player and wants to start ... he makes sense only if Springs is jettisoned which seems more likely than not. Dockery will likely be lost so the Skins need to save some ammo to address this new need. A new TE is also in the cards. Reggie Kelly will be an upgrade of sorts. Bottom line ... if Fletcher, Kearney, Smoot and Landry are signed the Skins will have an immediately upgraded competitive defense. I have no clue however as to what they will do to fix the suddenly large looming hole in the OL. Perhaps they will be forced to go after Deilman and pay him the BIG money that could have been spent on Doc ... such is life in today's NFL.

Here is my analysis for whatever it is worth. Fletcher is a forgone conclusion. Although small in terms of height ... he plays bigger and will be a good fit for the Skins as a run plugger and good coverage man in the middle ... I remember how well he played for the Rams when they made their SB run several years ago. In the short term this will be a sorely needed linebacker corps upgrade for the Skins who will move LM to the outside to share time with McIntosh. The interesting news is Kearney ... if he is signed that will upgrade the DL "immediately" ... none of the potential draft studs (Adams, Branch or even Anderson) figure to do that and the Skins can grab an impact player at 6 (CJ, Landry, Ginn) or trade down or up ... the point is they they will have more flexibility to toy with the high pick). The Smoot situation puzzles me ... he is not that good a player and wants to start ... he makes sense only if Springs is jettisoned which seems more likely than not. Dockery will likely be lost so the Skins need to save some ammo to address this new need. A new TE is also in the cards. Reggie Kelly will be an upgrade of sorts. Bottom line ... if Fletcher, Kearney, Smoot and Landry are signed the Skins will have an immediately upgraded competitive defense. I have no clue however as to what they will do to fix the suddenly large looming hole in the OL. Perhaps they will be forced to go after Deilman and pay him the BIG money that could have been spent on Doc ... such is life in today's NFL.

Ginn = fast and thats about it.

Landry and CJ are guranteed

All the dline prospects have risk, but JA has the most upside.

Trade down to 9, draft JA, take a DT with your second you pick up

Or. Trade down to 9, take landry, get a FA DE, take a DT

Or. Take CJ @ 6, sign a DE in FA, and just have a team that cant stop any runs

I'll go with JA or Landry

A ballhawking safety opposite ST will do wonders.

Landry will make ST better, and ST will make Landry better.

I don't like the idea of having situational SS. If arch is in on the play, i'm gonna audible, and throw right at him. Landry and Taylor will be interchangeable.

If we could trade down and get Carriker, Tank Tyler, and Brandon meriweather, i'd be happpppy.

CJ is a monster, but right now, even though you draft best available, we need defensive line more then we need CJ. Landry is the best available defensive player we can get, and thus the only worth the 6. But ATL is targeting him, so if we drop to 9, grab a 2nd, we can get Landry and a DT or DE, and call it a day.

I will say this, according to the one post from the BigBlueInteractive we were suppose to be landing 3 guys and everyone was going to say how did we do that...

Well, Fletcher, Smoot and the backup TE doesn't sound like that.

I was thinking more of Smoot, Fletcher and Clements.

If we sign Clements who's going to be our OG.There's no way we get Clements.We won't have anymore money to sign depth or our 1 draft pick.Lets not forget the 6th overall pick is going to cost us some money.

Siven ... I wouldn't mind trading down and grabbing Landry at 9 and then picking up a CB with the extra choice ... either Houston or Wade ... but I'm afraid Landry will not last that long ... so we gotta grab him at 6 ... the more I think of Landry in B&G the more I like it ... Landry is an impact player who will generate turnovers ... last year's biggest defficiency on defense. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Siven ... I wouldn't mind trading down and grabbing Landry at 9 and then picking up a CB with the extra choice ... either Houston or Wade ... but I'm afraid Landry will not last that long ... so we gotta grab him at 6 ... the more I think of Landry in B&G the more I like it ... Landry is an impact player who will generate turnovers ... last year's biggest defficiency on defense. Keeping my fingers crossed.

8 or 9 pick, houston or the phins will want brady quinn. minny will go wide receiver. so really at 8 or 9 we should be set, ATL wants landry cause one of their safeties had a career ending injury. as long as we stay ahead, we can get a DT, we really need, there arent any who stand out in FA.

dont forget our rush defense, and our sacks, sacks and pressure create turnovers. Landry is a stud player, but JA can become legitimately great, and i think hes worth the risk, especially if we can pick up a 2 gap dt in the early 2nd like tank tyler. That'll help our run defense, our pass rush, cornerlius wont have to fight double teams, and it lets him rush the passer which is his specialty. frees up carter off the edge. What we need is a front four that can get pressure, then we get turnovers.

Regarding us signing London Fletcher, for some reason the only thing I can think of is Mike Barrow. He was about the same age at the time, had only missed a couple games in his career, just had a 150 tackle season.....it just gives me a bad feeling.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't enamored with Adams, Branch, or Anderson. I don't see any of these 3 living up to #6 overall pick status. I hope we can trade down.

Same here. On both points, you just spoke my exact thoughts word for word.

I get a queezy feeling about Fletcher like it's another over paid signing that bites us in the butt for the big picture.

And on Adams and Branch, I agree. I don't see any of those guys living up to 6th overall. They all have their flaws and are risky picks. Branch can't get pressure on the QB and gets tired quick while Adams is a sever liability in the run game. I really hope we can trade down as well.

If we get Fletcher, Smoot, keep Springs and keep Dock then just plug in a few small name guys...I'll consdier it a success.

I agree. If the Skins sign Smoot but let Springs get away, then that is an obvious turn for the worse. Having Springs, Smoot and Rogers would be the perfect scenario. Re-signing Springs to go along with Rogers plus another would still better than being left with Smoot and Rogers as the starters.

I'm thinking the Gaines Adams assessment has more to do with us not wanting to have a 258lb DE (Adams) and a 265lb DE (Carter). Its probably why they seem to be leaning towards Anderson who is 288lbs. That said, its before the draft any and everything we are hearing right now could be a smoke screen.

As for the London Fletcher situation, I'm not big on signing older players either but if its a shorter deal, say 3 years, for mid-level money, I'd be fine with it. We don't have many picks in the draft so the chances of us finding a DE,DT, and MLB in the draft is unlikely. So we are going end up signing a free agent at one of those spots anyway. I know the draft is a crap shoot, but so is free agency. I wish we would do a better job of holding on to our picks.

I'm thinking the Gaines Adams assessment has more to do with us not wanting to have a 258lb DE (Adams) and a 265lb DE (Carter). Its probably why they seem to be leaning towards Anderson who is 288lbs. That said, its before the draft any and everything we are hearing right now could be a smoke screen.

As for the London Fletcher situation, I'm not big on signing older players either but if its a shorter deal, say 3 years, for mid-level money, I'd be fine with it. We don't have many picks in the draft so the chances of us finding a DE,DT, and MLB in the draft is unlikely. So we are going end up signing a free agent at one of those spots anyway. I know the draft is a crap shoot, but so is free agency. I wish we would do a better job of holding on to our picks.

Anderson and Adams can bulk up, a lot, without losing speed. With NFL level training and conditioning, they will be a lot bigger and probably faster too. Anderson can definately get 300 lbs, hes only played DE for 2 years,

I think the team is so in love with Fletcher because there really aren't any other quality options on the market or in the draft (considering we still have only one first day pick), and we need improvement at the position going into the season

Regarding us signing London Fletcher, for some reason the only thing I can think of is Mike Barrow. He was about the same age at the time, had only missed a couple games in his career, just had a 150 tackle season.....it just gives me a bad feeling.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't enamored with Adams, Branch, or Anderson. I don't see any of these 3 living up to #6 overall pick status. I hope we can trade down.

Barrow was a couple years older than Fletcher, but, indeed, a similar type signing. A player who never misses time, who has played well in his career, who understands Williams and who should help us at a reasonable cost (though Barrow was cheap where Fletcher will cost more). It was a very intelligent move to sign Barrow. Unfortunately he developed an injury he'd never previously had and was never the same. It is probably not a wise thing to think lightening will strike twice. The nature by which Fletcher and Barrow are similar is that both would be excellent signings for our team who were proven pros capable of playing well in this league. Not the potential for injury which neither has had.

Archived