Extremeskins

"That’s so gay" prompts a lawsuit

TC4

I had a feeling this was gonna happen sooner or later :doh:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17388702/?GT1=9145

Student sent to principal’s office insists it was not a homophobic putdown

Updated: 9:41 p.m. ET Feb 28, 2007

SANTA ROSA, Calif. - When a few classmates razzed Rebekah Rice about her Mormon upbringing with questions such as, "Do you have 10 moms?" she shot back: "That's so gay."

Those three words landed the high school freshman in the principal's office and resulted in a lawsuit that raises this question: When do playground insults used every day all over America cross the line into hate speech that must be stamped out?

After Rice got a warning and a notation in her file, her parents sued, claiming officials at Santa Rosa's Maria Carillo High violated their daughter's First Amendment rights when they disciplined her for uttering a phrase "which enjoys widespread currency in youth culture," according to court documents.

***Click like at the top for full article***

Uh huh. Just out of curiousity, why weren't the other students reprimanded for making fun of her upbringing?

Umm... do we know that they weren't also reprimanded, or are we just assuming this? Genuine curiousity - the article doesn't say.

The article I read said the others faced no discipline.

Iheart ,has the word gay come to the point of being prescribed from use?

What next?

Rice's parents, Elden and Katherine Rice, also claim the public high school employed a double-standard because, they say, administrators never sought to shield Rebekah from teasing based on Mormon stereotypes.

This is just some old geezer getting all butt hurt over a word being used in another context and he doesn't get it.........

I say stuff is "gay" all the time but I am simply saying it is stupid......

back about 6 years ago kids used to say something was jewish when it was stupid.....same thing with the gay kick.....

Iheart ,has the word gay come to the point of being prescribed from use?

Well, consider what's it's used for.

When you say, "that's so gay" you're saying, at (relatiavely) best, "that's so homosexual," but more likely, when you're saying it, you're saying it because you're trying to say, "that's so lame" or "that so annoying" or "that's so dumb" or "that's so f'ed up."

So I mean, how is it different than saying "you're such a Jew" or some such similar slur?

I see what you're saying in that there is, I think, a balance between PC and offensive...I'm just not sure if we're there or if we'll really ever be there because people's belief of what's very offensive and can't be said (probably not "ni****" 70 years ago in mainstream society, but certain something very offensive now,) is always changing.

I'm waiting to see the usual posts complaining about these frivolous lawsuits against school districts by hypersensitive parents...

Oh wait, never mind. A conservative filed the suit - it must be OK then. :)

It is a stupid lawsuit spurred by overactive liberalism. She wasn't making a statement that had any direct relevance to anyones sexuality. It is a common expression that wasn't being used with the intention of harm. Now the other students behavior was and yet they didn't get reprimanded. How do you explain that?

Just because a word can be taken as offensive does not give someone the right to sue because they are offended. The last time I check this is still America and offending someone is not a crime.

I mean if it was than there would be some crowded jails

I had a feeling this was gonna happen sooner or later :doh:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17388702/?GT1=9145

Student sent to principal’s office insists it was not a homophobic putdown

Updated: 9:41 p.m. ET Feb 28, 2007

SANTA ROSA, Calif. - When a few classmates razzed Rebekah Rice about her Mormon upbringing with questions such as, "Do you have 10 moms?" she shot back: "That's so gay."

Those three words landed the high school freshman in the principal's office and resulted in a lawsuit that raises this question: When do playground insults used every day all over America cross the line into hate speech that must be stamped out?

After Rice got a warning and a notation in her file, her parents sued, claiming officials at Santa Rosa's Maria Carillo High violated their daughter's First Amendment rights when they disciplined her for uttering a phrase "which enjoys widespread currency in youth culture," according to court documents.

***Click like at the top for full article***

......That's soooo gay :laugh:

The funny thing is, is that this same exact thing happened to me jsut without the lawsuit, I was kidding around at church when I was younger and I told one boy he was acting gay (gay meaning stupid). I got a call the next day from the youth pastor saying he and some other people wanted to "speak" with me....I had vacation that week so I never showed :laugh: apparently I hurt his feelings :laugh:

Archived