Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"That’s so gay" prompts a lawsuit

TC4

If I heard my kid say "That's so gay" as a put down I'd be pretty darn angry a her for using such a classless phrase. If my kid got disciplined at school for saying it she would definately be getting in far more trouble at home too. It's amazing that this forum will spend dozens of threads complaining about the lack of accountability we demand from our children and then turn around and give this girl a free pass for talking like that.

Would I be mad at the school for ignoring the comments about Mormons? Would I march down there and yell at them? Absolutely. But I'm guessing the school will say they heard the 'gay' comment and not the other one, so that's what they are dealing with. Just like someone said earlier, the guy who takes the second shot gets flagged. The bottom line is (and what I'd tell my daughter) you can't control what the other kids say or do or think, just what you yourself do. If you don't want to get in trouble for saying something offensive, don't say it. Ever. Come up with a different comeback next time.

And Kingbrice, if anyone had used the word "jewish" as another word for dumb around me in school, they'd be vehemently apologizing to me five seconds later or bleeding from the head shortly thereafter. That example definately does not help your case at all. In fact, it tears it to shreds.

And Kingbrice, if anyone had used the word "jewish" as another word for dumb around me in school, they'd be vehemently apologizing to me five seconds later or bleeding from the head shortly thereafter. That example definately does not help your case at all. In fact, it tears it to shreds.

See... that's just it Henry. While I thought the first part of your post was fantastic... I get down to this part, and you're in the same place I am.

Ask yourself, what if the kids at school were making fun of you for being Jewish? (or your kids). And your kid gets suspended for fighting or calling them gay (or whatever)... but the kids making the anti-semetic remarks get nothing.

You mention you would respond with physical violence if this happened. And honestly, I'd want to as well.

Which is why I don't think we should be so quick to judge these Mormon parents who are obviously upset with the situation. People hold their faiths very close to them... it is a sacred cow for the most part. Use of the term "gay" or "ghey", while not 100% socially acceptable or something we really should be doing, is in fact very common with kids today.

So I think the treatment was definitely unfair, and the school administrators should definitely be called on it.

See... that's just it Henry. While I thought the first part of your post was fantastic... I get down to this part, and you're in the same place I am.

Ask yourself, what if the kids at school were making fun of you for being Jewish? (or your kids). And your kid gets suspended for fighting or calling them gay (or whatever)... but the kids making the anti-semetic remarks get nothing.

You mention you would respond with physical violence if this happened. And honestly, I'd want to as well.

Which is why I don't think we should be so quick to judge these Mormon parents who are obviously upset with the situation. People hold their faiths very close to them... it is a sacred cow for the most part. Use of the term "gay" or "ghey", while not 100% socially acceptable or something we really should be doing, is in fact very common with kids today.

So I think the treatment was definitely unfair, and the school administrators should definitely be called on it.

I agree that the school has not been consistent and that ragging on a child's religion is every bit, if not more serious than ragging on their sexuality. But that does not excuse the misguided insult at gay people. Neither does the fact that it is wide spread. Saying things are gay as if it is tantamount to an insult is wrong on so many levels. It needs to stop and a warning is perfectly appropriate. The other children should have been reprimanded for their comments as well.

Again, if I got into a fight and got in trouble, for whatever reason, my parents would have been pissed. And they should have been. However, notice the first thing I said was the kid who made the initial slur would be apologizing. I dealt with this exact issure a LOT when I was a kid. I heard people say things like "He's was Jewed out of his money" all the time in school. I can tell you from experience that "I'm sorry, would you care to repeat that to my face" is much more effective than "I'd rather be a dirty Jew than a ****ing Christian!" A freind of mine said that once and got himself in trouble at school. Sound familiar?

Confronting beligerence is one thing. Countering a slur with a slur is another. It removes you from the moral high ground.

It won't be common with my kids. Not on my watch.

Depends. If the school official in question didn't hear the Mormon comments, he (or she) can't do much about them, officially. However, the parents should go to the school and tell them they have a problem with religious intolerance, and if I were the teacher in question I might go up to the trouble-makers and tell them I've got my eye on them, even if they got away with it this time. Those are details we can't know from the article though.

Saying that's so gay is taken out of context, when people use gay that way, they are using gay to replace retarded, stupid, etc. I don't get why everyone is upset :whoknows:

So you think being gay is synonymous with being stupid? I'm betting you don't but the point is, using the term as an insult, intentional or not, is insulting to every gay person. There are plenty of words in the English language that convey those meanings much more accurately. There is simply no need for it.

I just wonder if the student that said "that's so gay" was indeed a gay (lesbian), then would it be ok for her to use it? Just as it has been pretty much deemed acceptable in society for someone of African decent to call each other the "N" word, but when anyone else uses it they think they are being a bigot, which in most cases is true, but not all of them.

So you think being gay is synonymous with being stupid? I'm betting you don't but the point is, using the term as an insult, intentional or not, is insulting to every gay person. There are plenty of words in the English language that convey those meanings much more accurately. There is simply no need for it.

Yeah ... let's not use gay instead of stupid. KB apparently uses 'Jewish', and I've experienced Irish and Polish :doh:.

Let's just use American as a synonym for stupid. You guys have a thick skin about these kinds of things so it shouldn't be a problem.

That's sooooo American. See ... now THAT'S funny. :D

Yeah ... let's not use gay instead of stupid. KB apparently uses 'Jewish', and I've experienced Irish and Polish :doh:.

Let's just use American as a synonym for stupid. You guys have a thick skin about these kinds of things so it shouldn't be a problem.

That's sooooo American. See ... now THAT'S funny. :D

If we keep going the way we're going that could very well be the case. :D

But even gay people use it, so it's not like it's just something everyone else that isn't gay says. This world is too PC :2cents:

I say it out in public with friends and it never gets a reaction...I think it's still pretty well accepted in a lot of circles. Fortunately when I was in school nobody cared about remarks like this.

That may be true but it doesn't make it right. Slavery was pretty well accepted in a lot of circles at one point.

Archived