Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"That’s so gay" prompts a lawsuit

TC4

This is the part that jumps out at me.

which is the reason for the suit,if the school had only issued a warning nothing would have likely gone further.

Is it fair for the kid to have a permanent record of hate speech over the comment she made?

If I heard my kid say "That's so gay" as a put down I'd be pretty darn angry a her for using such a classless phrase. If my kid got disciplined at school for saying it she would definately be getting in far more trouble at home too. It's amazing that this forum will spend dozens of threads complaining about the lack of accountability we demand from our children and then turn around and give this girl a free pass for talking like that.

Would I be mad at the school for ignoring the comments about Mormons? Would I march down there and yell at them? Absolutely. But I'm guessing the school will say they heard the 'gay' comment and not the other one, so that's what they are dealing with. Just like someone said earlier, the guy who takes the second shot gets flagged. The bottom line is (and what I'd tell my daughter) you can't control what the other kids say or do or think, just what you yourself do. If you don't want to get in trouble for saying something offensive, don't say it. Ever. Come up with a different comeback next time.

And Kingbrice, if anyone had used the word "jewish" as another word for dumb around me in school, they'd be vehemently apologizing to me five seconds later or bleeding from the head shortly thereafter. That example definately does not help your case at all. In fact, it tears it to shreds.

I agree 100%. Its a stupid and hurtful comment, no matter if you agree with or accept homosexuality or not. What ever happened to "do unto others..."?

I also can't stand it when people say "That's so gay!" then get bent out of shape if somebody mentions that they are against gay-marriage or something.

after reading this thread, i've concluded that generational differences are getting in the way of us coming to an understanding. teens like myself and skinsfan do not view "that's so gay" to actually refer to homosexuality. it is a phrase that is common among the younger when refering to things they deem stupid.

I can't believe how many people thought they were original by only replying

"That's so gay"

KB,

I have never heard anyone use the term "jewish" as you claim they did in your school. What kind of anti-semetic school did you attend?

I can't believe how many people thought they were original by only replying

"That's so gay"

KB,

I have never heard anyone use the term "jewish" as you claim they did in your school. What kind of anti-semetic school did you attend?

mel gibson's school for the diversity intolerant.

If I heard my kid say "That's so gay" as a put down I'd be pretty darn angry a her for using such a classless phrase. If my kid got disciplined at school for saying it she would definately be getting in far more trouble at home too. It's amazing that this forum will spend dozens of threads complaining about the lack of accountability we demand from our children and then turn around and give this girl a free pass for talking like that.

And Kingbrice, if anyone had used the word "jewish" as another word for dumb around me in school, they'd be vehemently apologizing to me five seconds later or bleeding from the head shortly thereafter. That example definately does not help your case at all. In fact, it tears it to shreds.

So it's wrong for a kid to say "that's so gay" in response to a putdown regarding their religion...but it's ok to bust their head open?

I understand what you're saying about "that's so gay" being a classless putdown and such. But the phrase is so commonly used amongst kids that it doesn't really have any meaning anymore. I don't think homosexuality even crosses their minds when they say it. It's crazy that the school would get mad over this.

Then again, it's also crazy that they would sue instead of just learning a valuable lesson in shutting the heck up instead of getting into arguments with kids at school. So basically what I'm saying is that the whole world is crazy.

Homosexuality is kind of the last sub-class of society where society has generally deemed it okay to degrade/insult/hate publicly/etc.

Yeah, as an overweight pastor, I'm going to have to disagree with you on at least two counts. I'm sure our West Virginia have a thing or two to say as well. :)

after reading this thread, i've concluded that generational differences are getting in the way of us coming to an understanding. teens like myself and skinsfan do not view "that's so gay" to actually refer to homosexuality. it is a phrase that is common among the younger when refering to things they deem stupid.

:bow: It's true, it doesn't exactly mean "gay" when we use it in that context.

The "that's jewish" thing is something I've heard alot and it also is meant to be used to take the place of stupid.

Archived