Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins are not suitable for the 6th pick

skinsrbeast

we have an improving offense, and a struggling defense, but there isnt much value for us at the 6th pick.

We need a defensive lineman, linebacker, and most likely defensive back. But with the six pick there is no standout at either position.

There are ridicoulous athletes.... at QB, OL,RB, and Calving Johnson (WR)

But we do not need these that much (a tall reicever would be nice, but trading up for johnson, is definately not the solution, and a blocking TE is not worth a 6th pick)

So what do we do with our 6th pick, but more importantly if we trade down what can we get for our 6th pick?

It depends on who we pick up in Free Agency, but you draft in the trenches, either Anderson, Branch, or MOss.

Or you Trade down and hope to pick up wills or Okoye and add a later draft pick to your listing.

I do think trading up is not an awful idea if we really feel there is a Can't miss player in the top 5, but if we do it I somehoe don't think we'd be doing it for CJ, though he might be worth it.

Honestly, CJ's combine has gone so well, he looks like either a sure fire taker (and more likely bust now), or he might scare some folks off because of his freak package.

I'm resolved to enjoy whatever we pick at #6 or later if we trade down so I am not worried, though I'd love to CJ in Burgundy and Gold.

There are no Defensive players seen as "can't miss"....there are alot of "Has Potential to be great"....players.....

Given our status, if we can pick up ~2 solid players in FA. I'd trade down if the opportunity presents itself, even if we fall out of the first round. If we could pick up several picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, where we could get some young role players, I'd be happy....

Show me one team picking in the top 10 that doesn't have multiple needs.

This is not a unique problem among losing teams. Trading down is easier said than done. It doesn't just happen. You have to have the right offer, and the right circumstance.

Honestly, CJ's combine has gone so well, he looks like either a sure fire taker (and more likely bust now), or he might scare some folks off because of his freak package.

I'm resolved to enjoy whatever we pick at #6 or later if we trade down so I am not worried, though I'd love to CJ in Burgundy and Gold.

"More likely" based on what? The 4.35 he ran in someone else's shoes, the 6'5 235 of muscle, or the 45 inch vertical? Or just based on the expectations a superfreak athlete like that generates?

standard disclaimer: CJ won't be there at 6, we shouldn't trade up to get him.

We'll get the best value out of the pick if we can trade down a little bit, there's no doubt about it. There's also no way to determine whether Branch or Anderson or Adams or Okoye will be the best lineman to come out of this class. They all have their strenghts and weaknesses, but none of them are screaming "I am better than the rest." In a situation like this, a trade down allows you to still get one of them and get another pick. That is the ideal scenario, otherwise it's gonna be a crapshoot.

Trading down is very difficult to do. Most teams drafting in 2-8 would like to trade down; other teams arent willing to pay enough.

Hopefully we get Adams or Anderson. I've seen Branch rated a little lower some places. But everywhere I've seen has Adams and Anderson ranked top 10.

oh right, i guess them numbers he put up, in the SEC (close to NFL as you can get), don't mean anything

http://images.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10009712

2. down.gif Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas: Anderson is another big name, big producer who could experience a drop on draft day. With monster performances against the elite SEC teams, Anderson's statistics appear to be both consistent and dominant. Statistics rarely tell the while story, however, and this is true in Anderson's case. He has great size, long arms and an explosive burst off the snap, all of which he uses to generate pressure on the quarterback. Anderson was switched from right end to left end in 2006, meaning he was lined up opposite the right tackle, usually the lesser of an offense's pass blockers. Also, the Arkansas defense frequently used stunts and blitzes to free up Anderson in his pursuit of the passer. A former wide receiver who has grown into a 6-6, 275 pound monster, Anderson has as much upside as any defender in this draft and is a virtual lock for the top 10. But there has to be some "buyer beware" with him as Anderson isn't the finished product his 2006 statistics indicate.

All indications suggest that we are going to be picking up London Fletcher and possibly Dre Bly - that solves the problem we have at MLB and DB at least for a couple of seasons until Gibbs's contract is up - both guys have been pretty durable I think - let's hope so anyway...

If we sign DE Chris Kelsay or perhaps even Patrick Kerney then I would very likely take Branch or Okoye at #6.

This sounds like a pretty good defense overall that should be competitive *IF* these guys can stay healthy.

Trading down would also be a wise decision I think. I'd be happy taking a Patrick Willis and having him split time with Marcus at strong-side and possibly taking a Jarvis Moss or Victor Abiamiri in the second if such a deal could be worked.

Take yet another DE in the fifth or a CB...

Best offensive lineman available or LB in the sixth...

Best offensive lineman in the 7th...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have two options here....

We either take an instant impact player at a NEED position (DE/DT/CB/MLB) or I think we should just walk away, because we aren't going to get anything worthwhile if we trade down.

First off, if we trade down, we're not going to get the real value for the #6 pick. We're going to get stuck with two (or more) players who most likely will not be impact players this season. Paying two players to sit on the sidelines and do nothing of any value when we could have an instant impact player just doesn't make any sense to me.

It's like trading an American $20 bill for an American $10 bill and a Canadian $5 bill. You just don't get equal value so far as I'm concerned.

http://images.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10009712

2. down.gif Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas: Anderson is another big name, big producer who could experience a drop on draft day. With monster performances against the elite SEC teams, Anderson's statistics appear to be both consistent and dominant. Statistics rarely tell the while story, however, and this is true in Anderson's case. He has great size, long arms and an explosive burst off the snap, all of which he uses to generate pressure on the quarterback. Anderson was switched from right end to left end in 2006, meaning he was lined up opposite the right tackle, usually the lesser of an offense's pass blockers. Also, the Arkansas defense frequently used stunts and blitzes to free up Anderson in his pursuit of the passer. A former wide receiver who has grown into a 6-6, 275 pound monster, Anderson has as much upside as any defender in this draft and is a virtual lock for the top 10. But there has to be some "buyer beware" with him as Anderson isn't the finished product his 2006 statistics indicate.

Those are fair points, but are there any defensive players in this draft (or most, for that matter) that have no "buyer beware" caveats? Even the #1 overall pick last year had that attached to him because of certain inconsistencies in his game. Gaines is light...can he put on the extra weight and still keep his speed? Is he going to get killed vs. the run at the next level? Moss is light...same questions apply. Carriker is huge and strong but isn't as explosive and has battled some injuries over his career. Bottom line is that pretty much everyone is a crapshoot. You just have to pick who you think has the most potential and who fits what you need the most.

Do you think Arkansas is the only defense to use stunts and blitzes to help free up their pass rushers if possible? Anderson is very raw but has tons of talent and potential. He is obviously an amazing athlete considering how far he has come in such a short time. The question is whether or not he can easily be coached up in technique, etc at the next level. Yes, generally the RT isn't the better of the 2 pass blockers, but do you think no teams ever thought to double team Anderson with a TE, etc? It isn't like they didn't know he was a serious pass rush threat. Isn't Peppers an LDE? Teams certainly learned to protect that weak side when he is playing. I'm not necessarily comparing Anderson to Peppers, I'm just saying that playing LDE doesn't necessarily mean anything about the player's abilities.

:2cents:

Here's why I like trading down:

Last years #6 pick Vernon Davis contract: 5 years, $23 million

Last years #25 pick Santonio Holmes contract: 5 years $8.11 million

You have to pay top ten picks like they are solid starters at their position or better. Outside of the top 15 or so, you pay players like they are role players.

Many of the top ten picks turn out to be role players, and you are stuck with a dead weight. The redskins have enough "name players", I know they need help on Defense, but 2-3 solid role players/starters would help more than one big name draftee....IMHO....

Trade down if the opportunity presents itself....

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have two options here....

We either take an instant impact player at a NEED position (DE/DT/CB/MLB) or I think we should just walk away, because we aren't going to get anything worthwhile if we trade down.

Walk away??? and get nothing at all??? You can't under estimate another teams wants and what they might give up to get the sixth. I think if we could get a mid round first, a second and a third or fourth, we could equal the value of the number six overall.

You have to pay top ten picks like they are solid starters at their position or better. Outside of the top 15 or so, you pay players like they are role players.

Many of the top ten picks turn out to be role players, and you are stuck with a dead weight. The redskins have enough "name players", I know they need help on Defense, but 2-3 solid role players/starters would help more than one big name draftee....IMHO....

Trade down if the opportunity presents itself....

That's probably because outside of the Top 15 you have next to no chance to get an Immediate Impact starter. We don't need more role players. We've got role players with big names coming out our ears. We've got 2nd and 3rd string talent at pretty much every position on the team. What we need are IMPACT PLAYERS. In my opinion you don't find those guys outside the Top 10-15 slots in the draft.

Are there any quality Gaurds available for us at the sixth spot? If Dockery leaves we will need one.

Otherwise, we have Todd Wade starting for us next year. He has some experience, but I would not jump for joy at the prospect of him starting for us. Maybe one of you draft gurus can telll me if any suitable gaurds could be had at #6.

Archived