Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins are not suitable for the 6th pick

skinsrbeast

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have two options here....

We either take an instant impact player at a NEED position (DE/DT/CB/MLB) or I think we should just walk away, because we aren't going to get anything worthwhile if we trade down.

First off, if we trade down, we're not going to get the real value for the #6 pick. We're going to get stuck with two (or more) players who most likely will not be impact players this season. Paying two players to sit on the sidelines and do nothing of any value when we could have an instant impact player just doesn't make any sense to me.

It's like trading an American $20 bill for an American $10 bill and a Canadian $5 bill. You just don't get equal value so far as I'm concerned.

Define Walk away, cause you aren't making good points, and besides, what if you are stuck in canada with no canadian bills, you might lose something, but overall you gain something you can use.

Walk away??? and get nothing at all??? You can't under estimate another teams wants and what they might give up to get the sixth. I think if we could get a mid round first, a second and a third or fourth, we could equal the value of the number six overall.

Yes, WALK AWAY. I'll agree that you might get equal talent from a Mid-First rounder, AND a second rounder AND a third or a fourth rounder that we're likely to get from the #6 pick. Unfortunately, that Mid-First rounder, AND a second rounder AND a third or a fourth rounder can't all play the same position at the same time on the field, so you've taken that amount of talent and spread it out over three players.

Sorry, but I'll take one player who's rated at 95% instead of a 50% player, a 25% player and a 20% player. This team already has plenty of mediocre players on it. We don't need any more of them.

Here's why I like trading down:

Last years #6 pick Vernon Davis contract: 5 years, $23 million

Last years #25 pick Santonio Holmes contract: 5 years $8.11 million

You have to pay top ten picks like they are solid starters at their position or better. Outside of the top 15 or so, you pay players like they are role players.

Many of the top ten picks turn out to be role players, and you are stuck with a dead weight. The redskins have enough "name players", I know they need help on Defense, but 2-3 solid role players/starters would help more than one big name draftee....IMHO....

Trade down if the opportunity presents itself....

I agree, look at Cooley and McIntosh (especially Cooley) third rounder (cost us a little more) but was an impact player his first year. And if they had trusted Rocky earlier in the season, he could have been also. IMO

Yes, WALK AWAY. I'll agree that you might get equal talent from a Mid-First rounder, AND a second rounder AND a third or a fourth rounder that we're likely to get from the #6 pick. Unfortunately, that Mid-First rounder, AND a second rounder AND a third or a fourth rounder can't all play the same position at the same time on the field, so you've taken that amount of talent and spread it out over three players.

Sorry, but I'll take one player who's rated at 95% instead of a 50% player, a 25% player and a 20% player. This team already has plenty of mediocre players on it. We don't need any more of them.

100 percent agree Mass skins. This team has plenty of average players. Average players and role players are simply not the problem.

They have 2 impact players on the offense. 1 on the defense at a non vital position in Taylor.

Thats pretty pathetic.

Define Walk away, cause you aren't making good points, and besides, what if you are stuck in canada with no canadian bills, you might lose something, but overall you gain something you can use.

By "Walk Away", I mean the entire group (Gibbs, Cerrato, Snyder, etc...) stand up, collect their stuff, and leave the room. Shut down the "War Room" and go home. We only have one pick of any value this year, and if there isn't an immediate impact player at a need position available at #6 I'd just as soon not get anyone. I'm talking about taking a "Pass" on the draft entirely.

Sorry but I'm not interested in a deal that's going to bring us less than what the #6 would be. The ONLY way that I would be interested in trading down would be if we could GUARANTEE that no team between #6 and wherever we traded down to was looking at taking the IMPACT player we want at #6 AND we could pick up another first round pick no later than #20-25 in the first round. Since the only team with multiple first rounders is New England, I don't see that being able to happen.

That's probably because outside of the Top 15 you have next to no chance to get an Immediate Impact starter. We don't need more role players. We've got role players with big names coming out our ears. We've got 2nd and 3rd string talent at pretty much every position on the team. What we need are IMPACT PLAYERS. In my opinion you don't find those guys outside the Top 10-15 slots in the draft.

Look at the 2006 draft (or pretty much any other draft) and it's pretty easy to see that very few of the top 15 picks are ever immediate impact players. You have to combine this with the fact that the top picks always go to the worst teams, and it is therefore much easier for players to start on a team that needs alot of help and is viewed as being in a "building year".

Look at the 2006 draft (or pretty much any other draft) and it's pretty easy to see that very few of the top 15 picks are ever immediate impact players.

Fine, then I see no point in even showing up and participating in the NFL Draft. We don't need another couple mediocre players who are going to never actually EARN their paychecks. We've got an entire roster full of players like that right now.

Full disclosure: I support trading down.

I guess what I don't understand about many people who think we're foolish not to take Anderson or whomever it is you are selling, is that you all think you know that these are "can't miss" talents. Is Jamaal Anderson touted any higher than Mario Williams was last year? Wasn't it Tamba Hali, picked 25th (I think) who turned out to be the better DE?

I have not seen a draft in years that is as DE heavy as this one, yet you are all so certain that Jamaal Anderson is the next coming. I think he'd be a fine pick at #6, but wouldn't feel like we'd missed some great opportunity if we traded down and ended up with a Tim Crowder, Adam Carriker, Quentin Moses, Gaines Adams, etc. etc.

There are can't miss players in this draft, they just happen to be at positions we don't need (like WR, for instance). If you are really certain that Jamaal Anderson is an opportunity we can't miss, merely pointing to his impressive -- though by no means blow me away -- stats isn't going to do it. He's just a very good DE prospect. So was Mario Williams. He is not a once in a lifetime player, yet.

Fine, then I see no point in even showing up and participating in the NFL Draft. We don't need another couple mediocre players who are going to never actually EARN their paychecks. We've got an entire roster full of players like that right now.

Simmer on the hyperbole. You're upset that people think the top 15 might not offer as much value as it might in other years (this happens to be an indisputable fact; some years are necessarily better than others), yet we're supposed to ignore your clearly ludicrous assertion that picks outside the top 15 are destined to mediocrity? Marques Colston? Chris Cooley? Even Kedric Golston showed up this year and he was a 6th round pick. The best DEFENSIVE END in last year's draft wasn't picked in the top 15.

Simmer on the hyperbole. You're upset that people think the top 15 might not offer as much value as it might in other years (this happens to be an indisputable fact; some years are necessarily better than others), yet we're supposed to ignore your clearly ludicrous assertion that picks outside the top 15 are destined to mediocrity? Marques Colston? Chris Cooley? Even Kedric Golston showed up this year and he was a 6th round pick. The best DEFENSIVE END in last year's draft wasn't picked in the top 15.

No hyperbole at all, Skin. It's what I believe. I have no interest in players drafted after the first round, and not even that much interest in players drafted outside the upper half of the first round. They're just too much of a guess as to who is or isn't going to succeed. I have no interest in players whose main positive attributes are "potential", or "great motor but needs work", or "can be taught".

Personally, I'd prefer to see the team built ENTIRELY through Free Agency, but under the current financial system the NFL uses that's not going to happen. I have a particular view of the way the draft should be run and what should be expected out of the players drafted. It's an unusual view, but it is the way I see things. If you don't agree with it, that's fine. We're all entitled to our own opinion.

Thank you SkinPatrol. A top 15 pick is far from a guarantee. I wouldn't mind taking Jamaal Anderson even if he is a WIP however trading down could work in our favor as well. For instance with three or more picks within the first three or four rounds we could address positions such as CB, DL, LB, and OG. Who knows, we could find a diamond in the rough for any of those positions.

No hyperbole at all, Skin. It's what I believe. I have no interest in players drafted after the first round, and not even that much interest in players drafted outside the upper half of the first round. They're just too much of a guess as to who is or isn't going to succeed. I have no interest in players whose main positive attributes are "potential", or "great motor but needs work", or "can be taught".

You know, most of the top 15 have some sort of caveats as well. Not just in this draft, but every draft. It is incredibly rare to see any draft scouting profile on a player that says "no flaws in his game". Things are most of the time a toss up at the end of the day as far as this stuff goes. You can have a top 5 pick be a bust or a 5th round pro bowler. It all comes down to evaluation of talent and looking for intangibles, IMO. That said, yes the guys in the top 15 have more pure potential to be high quality NFL players than those in later rounds, but that doesn't always translate into a star in the pros. Saying you aren't interested in people outside of that is sort of odd since we have some pretty good players that were picked up after that on our own team.

Either way, I think we are in a decent situation whether we pick up Anderson, Adams, Branch, etc at #6 or if we trade down a bit and get another pick. As Skins said, this draft is turning out to be pretty deep in D line, especially DE.

:2cents:

Full disclosure: I support trading down.

I guess what I don't understand about many people who think we're foolish not to take Anderson or whomever it is you are selling, is that you all think you know that these are "can't miss" talents. Is Jamaal Anderson touted any higher than Mario Williams was last year? Wasn't it Tamba Hali, picked 25th (I think) who turned out to be the better DE?

I have not seen a draft in years that is as DE heavy as this one, yet you are all so certain that Jamaal Anderson is the next coming. I think he'd be a fine pick at #6, but wouldn't feel like we'd missed some great opportunity if we traded down and ended up with a Tim Crowder, Adam Carriker, Quentin Moses, Gaines Adams, etc. etc.

There are can't miss players in this draft, they just happen to be at positions we don't need (like WR, for instance). If you are really certain that Jamaal Anderson is an opportunity we can't miss, merely pointing to his impressive -- though by no means blow me away -- stats isn't going to do it. He's just a very good DE prospect. So was Mario Williams. He is not a once in a lifetime player, yet.

couldn;t have said it any better . . . trade down and acquire more potentail defensive starters in later rounds ... and if half pan out, great, if not we haven't put all our eggs in one basket. Equivalne t to getting Golston and Montg. in the late rounds, one played well and saw the field, and one didn;t.

We need to use the #6 pick to ick the best Defensive player possible. the D has too many wholes as it is and we need a rookie starter to sure up at least one spot baring injury. I said it before and I will say it again. The defense is a hot mess right now. Even the Saftey position is a variable right now. Who knows how Peirson is going to play after that injury....keep the 6 pick and use it is my thought....even if we pick Calvin Johnson

100 percent agree Mass skins. This team has plenty of average players. Average players and role players are simply not the problem.

They have 2 impact players on the offense. 1 on the defense at a non vital position in Taylor.

Thats pretty pathetic.

How many impact players did the Colts have on defense? Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney...anyone else?

Some of you severely underestimate depth.

Thank you SkinPatrol. A top 15 pick is far from a guarantee. I wouldn't mind taking Jamaal Anderson even if he is a WIP however trading down could work in our favor as well. For instance with three or more picks within the first three or four rounds we could address positions such as CB, DL, LB, and OG. Who knows, we could find a diamond in the rough for any of those positions.

Obviously a Top 15 pick is no GUARANTEE of an impact player. However you're much more likely to get an impact player at #6 in the first round than you are at #26 in the first round or #6 in the second round.

We don't need two or three more mediocre players at a variety of positions who don't actually immediately improve those positions. If we're going to screw things up, I'd rather screw up ONE pick than two or three.

Saying you aren't interested in people outside of that is sort of odd since we have some pretty good players that were picked up after that on our own team.

There aren't more than maybe a dozen players on our current roster who I think are starter quality in the NFL. There isn't one who I think is worthy of All-Pro or Pro Bowl consideration.

Greg Williams had compared our D when we were playing well to his other top defenses when with the Titans and Bills.

He described our D as being tough. And having the more athletic players with the other teams.

I think that lack of athleticism and speed really showed up last season with some core guys getting older.

So of the top rated Defenders Adams would fit the bill. But at only 258 (I haven't seen the official weight figures from the combine. Just saw this here with no link.) he is a true tweener. I know he can put on bulk. But I can't really reacall a tweener type who really bulked up and made you forget he was a tweener.

Anderson appears to have all the right measurables, and already plays the RE. The one negative that I have heard, besides raw, is when Mayok mentioned, in film, he was always the last defender off the ball.

I like Branch early and have flip flopped several times. His wrap is consistend effort. And that in terms of fit, we are in more need of a DE. I say we need to stop the run first. And the big guy may be able to free up Carter who was improving as the season ended.

I just hope we don't see a couple of these guys gone, and leave us with the odd man who we really don't like. Whom ever that may be.

There are no Defensive players seen as "can't miss"....there are alot of "Has Potential to be great"....players.....

Given our status, if we can pick up ~2 solid players in FA. I'd trade down if the opportunity presents itself, even if we fall out of the first round. If we could pick up several picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, where we could get some young role players, I'd be happy....

No first rounders this year, just like last? you think were gonna get any immediate impact players like Rocky in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Its foolish to treat the Draft as a formula or a sytem guaranteed to produce impact players at every position of need. The Draft is a giant crap shoot where "can't misses" frequently bust out (Joey Harrington) and lower rated players unexpectedly blossom in the pros and become stars (Chris Cooley). The key is to use the draft as a "food supplement" where luck and talented scouting play a hugh role. Where need and value intersect you take a stab based on the consesus of your scouts especially at the top of the Draft. This year the Skins have a high choice ... next year I expect them to win big and they will have low choices. The high pick this year is a windfall and should be used accordingly. Value and need do not intersect in any of the defensive players likely to be avaiable at 6 ... they are so-so players and beacuse the odds are so high against success in the first place (remember its a crapshoot) most of the defensive "studs" will crap out. In contrast, there are three offensive players who might be avaiable at 6 who represent greater value than need (CJohnson, BQuinn, AAndersen) ... should the skins not take a shot at these because the need curve is off the mark? ... I say no ... go for it ... take the high value "offensive" pick at the upper reaches of the Draft even if there is little or no need ... you never have enough impact players and a surfeit at a position of strength is far better than a bust out at a position of need.

Archived