Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins are not suitable for the 6th pick

skinsrbeast

Are there any quality Gaurds available for us at the sixth spot? If Dockery leaves we will need one.

Otherwise, we have Todd Wade starting for us next year. He has some experience, but I would not jump for joy at the prospect of him starting for us. Maybe one of you draft gurus can telll me if any suitable gaurds could be had at #6.

It would be insane to take a guard that early in the draft. Unless it's a dpminating Left tackle, it's very rare to see OL taken in the top ten.

The strategy has been hampered by the current system the NFL uses. We just need to get rid of the salary cap so we can build a team the way one should be built.

Keep dreaming. Salary cap is going nowhere, and with the current system your philosophy makes no sense at all.

The best way to build a team for long term success is through the draft. Supplimented by free agent moves and trades when needed.

Its foolish to treat the Draft as a formula or a sytem guaranteed to produce impact players at every position of need. The Draft is a giant crap shoot where "can't misses" frequently bust out (Joey Harrington) and lower rated players unexpectedly blossom in the pros and become stars (Chris Cooley). The key is to use the draft as a "food supplement" where luck and talented scouting play a hugh role. Where need and value intersect you take a stab based on the consesus of your scouts especially at the top of the Draft. This year the Skins have a high choice ... next year I expect them to win big and they will have low choices. The high pick this year is a windfall and should be used accordingly. Value and need do not intersect in any of the defensive players likely to be avaiable at 6 ... they are so-so players and beacuse the odds are so high against success in the first place (remember its a crapshoot) most of the defensive "studs" will crap out. In contrast, there are three offensive players who might be avaiable at 6 who represent greater value than need (CJohnson, BQuinn, AAndersen) ... should the skins not take a shot at these because the need curve is off the mark? ... I say no ... go for it ... take the high value "offensive" pick at the upper reaches of the Draft even if there is little or no need ... you never have enough impact players and a surfeit at a position of strength is far better than a bust out at a position of need.

I started reading this thinking for once in the last several weeks you were not going to post a "lets draft CJ" post. Boy was I wrong. Of course you completely condradicted yourself in the process. Why take a crapshoot on a position you need when you can take the same crapshoot in a position you DONT need. Boy, that makes lots of sence. Peck, this is really getting painful to watch. Besides Quinn will probablely suck in the NFL, and who the heck is A. Anderson? Did you mean Adrian Peterson? Have you totally gone off the deep end now?

Keep dreaming. Salary cap is going nowhere, and with the current system your philosophy makes no sense at all.

The best way to build a team for long term success is through the draft. Supplimented by free agent moves and trades when needed.

I agree with you that the salary cap isn't going anywhere. In which case I'd rather continue on with the losing streak this team is currently mired in than to do what you're suggesting is needed to fix it. I just don't believe in the draft as the proper way to build a team. Especially after the first round. If that means losing, so be it. I'd rather be Right in the way I do things than successful any day.

I agree with you that the salary cap isn't going anywhere. In which case I'd rather continue on with the losing streak this team is currently mired in than to do what you're suggesting is needed to fix it. I just don't believe in the draft as the proper way to build a team. Especially after the first round. If that means losing, so be it. I'd rather be Right in the way I do things than successful any day.

And why is this the "right" way?

And why is this the "right" way?

I've discussed it any number of times around here. If you look up posts made by me in this forum (The Stadium) that include the words "mediocre" or "communist" you should be able to get more than your share of information on that topic.

I'm not trying to be rude, but the answer is really off-topic for this thread.

If we take Anderson, he probably won't be ready to start his rookie year. He'll need an adjust period, but his up side is huge. He looks more like a #15 pick than a #6 to me.

Why do you assume he wouldn't be ready to start his rookie year? Or at least start part of it? Most of what he needs is technique work and experience. The former he can get from NFL D line coaches, but he can't get the latter from that. It is the same argument as people were making when Rocky wasn't getting to play much. However, I believe D line is an area that is a bit easier to transition into in the NFL than LB or DB. Given his tremendous potential, the fact that he obviously has a very good learning curve, and the fact that he is freakin' huge so would probably be able to hold his own even if he was thrown right in, I'd say he would at least be ready to get in on the action a few weeks into the season. Then again much of this would depend on what happened at training camp and how he looked there.

You're trying to reinvent the wheel, thinking FA is the way to go. The teams that are consistently competitive - Pats, Steelers, Colts, Chargers (lately), Eagles - ALL build through the draft. You're blind if you don't see that.

Building through the draft is like running the football...if you don't do it well, you won't do much in the NFL.

I've discussed it any number of times around here. If you look up posts made by me in this forum (The Stadium) that include the words "mediocre" or "communist" you should be able to get more than your share of information on that topic.

What in the world does Communism have to do with football??

No offence taken. I looked up a couple posts and saw where you were coming from.

That's where you are wrong. If you can successfully draft in the later rounds, you get solid contributers for cheap rather than having to break the bank on Free Agents. You build cohesion.

The reason this team is where it's at, is because they think the way you do.

That's where you are wrong. If you can successfully draft in the later rounds, you get solid contributers for cheap rather than having to break the bank on Free Agents. You build cohesion.

Exactly. Everyone on the football field doesn't need to be a star. In the NFL today, with 32 teams and 53 man rosters, there's bound to be average players on every squad. The question is how the coaches utilize that talent.

No, you build MEDIOCRITY. You build not to lose instead of building to win.

No, not really. Because I actually have a philosophy on how things should be done that would run from the top of the organization to the bottom. The Redskins don't have an institutional philosophy. That's one of the team's biggest problems. But, yes, the team is generally more interested in veteran players over draft picks; as am I.

Exactly. Everyone on the football field doesn't need to be a star. In the NFL today, with 32 teams and 53 man rosters, there's bound to be average players on every squad. The question is how the coaches utilize that talent.

True enough. Those average players belong in the ranks of the third stringers, special teamers, and mop-up groups for when the REAL players have set us out to a 35 point lead.

What in the world does Communism have to do with football??

Mass thinks that trying to stock depth and having "good" players is not the way to build a football team. That you should try and have "great" players at all positions no matter what the cost. Basically, pure capitalism where you outbid the other teams like you see in Baseball. I have no idea about how he feels about having depth, but I think that is how he feels aobut getting starters. Please feel free to correct me if I'm off base Mass.

Personally I like the days of no FA. I liked being able to identify with the players and not have to guess who was going to be playing several positions from one year to the next. Now, I dont see any reason to really get attached to any one player anymore. Fact is he'll playing against you at some point in time. I do like the days when you could keep a guy like Darrell Green for his entire career, instead of having him him jump ship for a big payday after his rookie contract was up.

Oh, so the Pats have been mediocre lately? Better drafting than the Skins and a bunch of postseason wins. Steelers have been mediocre lately? Super Bowl champs last year and consistently competitive. Even the freakin Eagles draft well and have more postseason wins in the past 5 years than the Skins have had.

Yeah, tell me exactly how good drafting breeds mediocrity?

True enough. Those average players belong in the ranks of the third stringers, special teamers, and mop-up groups for when the REAL players have set us out to a 35 point lead.

You plan on building on all star team? No team has the money to do that. How exactly do you plan on getting every big name free agent to Washington? How you gonna fit every one of those guys under the cap? Come on dude, get real.

Are you Daniel Synder? Go ahead, build teams through FA, ignore depth, and disrespect the draft. Every other owner will laugh at you.

There aren't more than maybe a dozen players on our current roster who I think are starter quality in the NFL. There isn't one who I think is worthy of All-Pro or Pro Bowl consideration.

Moss, Samuels, Thomas and Portis are worthy of Pro Bowl consideration IMO.

There are 14 definite starting quality players on our roster:

Samuels

Thomas

Jansen

Dockery

Rabach

Portis

Cooley

Moss

Randle El

Taylor

Washington

Griffin

Springs

Carter (made the list on his strong showing in the 2nd half of the season)

Marginally capable starters or players for which there is not enough PT to classify:

Campbell

Rogers

McIntosh

Lloyd

Golston

Marshall

Prioleau

Wade

Mass thinks that trying to stock depth and having "good" players is not the way to build a football team. That you should try and have "great" players at all positions no matter what the cost. Basically, pure capitalism where you outbid the other teams like you see in Baseball.

Yeah I kind of figured that it was something like that. I was reading some of his posts before, as he suggested, and got that same vibe. Well, that and a complete and unending hatred for anything to do with the Pats. So I guess that means he wants us to let other people draft, wait until the guys who become great on other teams get older and their contracts run out, and then sign them all to huge deals. Well at least it isn't Communist...:laugh:

Right, because that's what teams like the Patriots, Eagles, Colts and Steelers have been over the past decade.... mediocre.

Meanwhile with your free agent heavy plan, the Redskins are where they are.

Right, because that's what teams like the Patriots, Eagles, Colts and Steelers have been over the past decade.... mediocre.

Meanwhile with your free agent heavy plan, the Redskins are where they are.

Don't forget the Chargers. They have an insane amount of draft picks still on their team playing huge roles and they have been successful recently.

You plan on building on all star team? No team has the money to do that. How exactly do you plan on getting every big name free agent to Washington? How you gonna fit every one of those guys under the cap? Come on dude, get real.

Are you Daniel Synder? Go ahead, build teams through FA, ignore depth, and disrespect the draft. Every other owner will laugh at you.

I think that is the point, unfortunately. He does not want a cap. He wants the owner who happens to have the most money basically buy all the star players. Heck...seems to be working for the Yanks. lol.

Problem with that is that, by the time they are established stars they are probably further up there in age, and also you will have no chemistry at all on your team; just a roster full of incredibly expensive stars who just happen to play together and probably could care less about the team or even winning all that much perhaps. It is much easier to do that in Baseball than it is in Football since Football requires much more timing and chemistry between players. But hey, I can't argue with the facts...it has been working for us for years.

They spent alot of time with him apprantely in the interview part of the combine. Think someone posted it here. I really do hope we do not go that route though. I dont care who ends up playing CB, if we cant stop the run or rush the passer I dont care if it's both Sameuls and Clements, they will both look like garbage. And we will still give up a ton of yards in the running game. At this point we shouldnt even look at CB before we shore up the D-line and MLB.

Archived