Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So you can't get CJ...

Veretax

I was browsing through some of these Wide Receiver combinations looking for guys around 6'3" or taller.

Some guys I stumbled on but couldn't find much info on.

Brad Ekwerekwu WR | (6'33_8.gif", 220, 4.54) | MISSOURI

Ryan Moore WR | (6'3", 213, 4.52) | MIAMI (FLA.) ESPN Insider

He's only rated 2 stars, so he might not even be available later in the draft, and it seems he's had some disciplininary problems which Might turn a lot of teams off to him.

Sidney Rice looks good, but if we don't take CJ in the top of the draft, I doubt he's available later on when we have picks.

Matt Trannon WR | (6'6", 230, 4.67) | MICHIGAN STATE

Matt might be a little slow, but with his size, he'd be a good addition either as TE, FB, or maybe HB for depth behind cooley, or sellers. I can't confirm that he's declared for the draft though (looks like he is on ESPNs site)

I know some folks mentioned

Brandon Myles WR | (6'07_8.gif", 183, 4.47) | WEST VIRGINIA

He's not as tall though, might be available outside of the draft as a UFA.

Any other ideas about adding depth at this position, assuming its a late pick or undrafted FA?

CJ reminds me too much of Mike Williams from USC and Charles Rogers from Mich State. Great in college, dominating games and making tremendous plays, but equaling a Keyshawn Johnson in the pros. Big, not that fast, and not much seperation. Good, solid possesion receiver.

CJ reminds me too much of Mike Williams from USC and Charles Rogers from Mich State. Great in college, dominating games and making tremendous plays, but equaling a Keyshawn Johnson in the pros. Big, not that fast, and not much seperation. Good, solid possesion receiver.

Well CJ reminds me of a bigger version of Larry Fitzgerald and a more team-oriented version of Plaxico Burress. Who is right? Probably neither of us.

But to have a luxury like a rich man’s Plaxico Burress would be nice. Plaxico Burress has made Eli at least appear not to be a flop by being the target of so many of Eli’s poor decisions and bailing Eli out. Moss has done it with Brunell (hello no-look game-winning throw into double covered zone against Jacksonville), CJ could do it with Campbell and make him even better.

IF CJ is around at six the trade offers will be unreal, there are not too many fans of other teams that would be pissed if their team traded two day 1 picks this year and 1 next year for him. If we are set via FA then we should consider taking him as he will make this Offense very good and help with JC's development.

CJ is a man among boys compared to other wideouts and will run at least a 4.40 at the Combine further cementing his exalted status ... but alas he is destined to be a Cowboy not a Skin so we have to move on. The best "possession receiver" available in the Draft should be the next Skins target: He is Anthony Gonzales/OSU who will be a future pro-bowler and fabulous as the Skins' long sought-after No. 2 receiver ... Gonzales will be available in the 2nd round so the Skins have to trade their 2008 No. 1 to get him ... but he would be worth every penny.

You say "equaling a Keyshawn Johnson in the pros" as if that's a bad thing. Keyshawn is a 10 year vet who was one of the best WR's in football in the late 90's early 00's. He's also 15th all-time in receptions with 814 (more than Irvin had over an equal career span), and top 50 all time in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. And like you said he's a good, solid possession receiver, which is exactly what we need. If CJ was a guaranteed KJ, there would be a very good argument to take him at #6. Except I think CJ will be better. CJ also has somewhat deceptive speed. This lists him at 4.45, which isn't fantastic, but it's not slow either. Faster than Plaxico anyway...http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/calvinjohnson.html

Except there's no way he falls to #6, not even remotely possible. So it's all moot anyway.

:logo:

If by some crazy fluke CJ fell to us you listen to the trade offers which hopefully don't drop you out of the top ten.

And thats depend on whether Anderson and Branch are gone or not

Having CJ and Quinn available at 6 would be the best scenario for us. I really believe Houston (8) Atlanta (10) and Buffalo (12) would have some real interest in trading picks with us.

:helmet:

Some WR that are projected to go late, or undrafted that look like the could be the "big" receiver that several people seem to want.....

Ryan Moore: U Miami- 6’3” 215 Projected 40- 4.52 Projected round: 6-7

Brett Smith: U Tenn- 6’3” 190 Projected 40-4.49 Projected round: None

Aaron Fairooz: Cent. Arkansas- 6’6” 215 Projected 40: 4.54 Projected Round: None

Jon Davis: Iowa St-. 6’4” 205 Projected 40: 4.54 Projected Round: None

Derdeck Faulkner: Hampton- 6’4” 225 Projected 40: 4.55 Projected Round: None

Jessie Wendt: Wisconsin-Stout- 6’3” 228 Projected 40: 4.45 Projected Round: None

Drew Weatherly: Maryland- 6’3” 215 Projected 40: 4.48 Projected Round: None

Julius McClellan: North Carolina Central- 6’3” 225 Projected 40: 4.52 Projected Round: None

Teal Martin: Troy- 6’4” 210 Projected 40: 4.45 Projected Round: None

The "taking CJ talk at #6" if he's available is because he's a game breaking talent that could be the #1 overall pick in some years. If you can get #1 talent at #6 you take it, no matter what your need is. If not, which is probable, you draft "D".

Okay I know that. The premise is for those of us taht feel we need one more Possession stayle WR for our team, the only way to get in the draft is in a late round probably right? (assuming no trade down scenarios) I was curious what prospects might be flying under the radar that could perhaps more economically fill our void there

CJ is a man among boys compared to other wideouts and will run at least a 4.40 at the Combine further cementing his exalted status ... but alas he is destined to be a Cowboy not a Skin so we have to move on. The best "possession receiver" available in the Draft should be the next Skins target: He is Anthony Gonzales/OSU who will be a future pro-bowler and fabulous as the Skins' long sought-after No. 2 receiver ... Gonzales will be available in the 2nd round so the Skins have to trade their 2008 No. 1 to get him ... but he would be worth every penny.

Isn't Gonzales a TE though?

I like Trennon, but I don't know how well he can block.

Those are some good prospects there Blade, Thank you.

of the ones you selected

(thought I mentioned him in the first post)

Seems kind of light, but might be worth it

Aaron Fairooz: Cent. Arkansas- 6’6” 215 Projected 40: 4.54 Projected Round: None

Is this guy a Jr Or SR? Here's another thought, doesn't Arkansas have a guy by the name of Monk that plays WR? Think hes not draft eligible yet

Haven't seen these guys play:

Jessie Wendt: Wisconsin-Stout- 6’3” 228 Projected 40: 4.45 Projected Round: None

Julius McClellan: North Carolina Central- 6’3” 225 Projected 40: 4.52 Projected Round: None

Weatherly might be a good UFA to bring in, he played pretty well against WVU if memory serves despite the turnovers they lost in that game.

I seem to recall this guy being a beast, but not positive.

Tax --- FYI!

Anthony Gonzalez

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 195 | 40-Time: 4.40

Official Bio

Strengths:

Adequate height and bulk...A fantastic route runner who just knows how to get open...Has very good timed speed and quickness...Hands are excellent....Is very smart...An above average blocker who gives a good effort...Excellent intangibles and a hard worker who's dedicated to being the best player he can be...Can also help out as a return man...Still improving, got better every year and has upside.

Weaknesses:

Only started for one season in college and was never the main focus of defenses attention...Did not make many big plays...May have some trouble beating the jam at the line...Has some trouble with physical corners...Was shut down in the BCS Championship game (along with the rest of the Buckeye offense) when Ted Ginn, Jr. was injured...Doesn't do much after the catch...May never be a true #1 target.

Notes:

Was overshadowed by his teammate Ginn but some feel he may wind up being a better pro...Was used as more of a possession receiver in college and often times worked out of the slot but his physical tools lead you to believe he could be much more...He reminds me a bit of Kevin Curtis...Probably best suited to be a #2 or #3 wideout at the next level...He'll never be a star but will be a valuable contributor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2003 DNP - - - -

2004 8 8 179 22.4 2

2005 12 28 373 13.3 3

2006 13 51 734 14.4 8

Totals 33 87 1,286 14.8 13

Okay I know that. The premise is for those of us taht feel we need one more Possession stayle WR for our team, the only way to get in the draft is in a late round probably right? (assuming no trade down scenarios) I was curious what prospects might be flying under the radar that could perhaps more economically fill our void there

Isn't Gonzales a TE though?

I like Trennon, but I don't know how well he can block.

Those are some good prospects there Blade, Thank you.

of the ones you selected

(thought I mentioned him in the first post)

Seems kind of light, but might be worth it

Is this guy a Jr Or SR? Here's another thought, doesn't Arkansas have a guy by the name of Monk that plays WR? Think hes not draft eligible yet

Haven't seen these guys play:

Weatherly might be a good UFA to bring in, he played pretty well against WVU if memory serves despite the turnovers they lost in that game.

I seem to recall this guy being a beast, but not positive.

Without going over all the guys:

Brett Smith is a bit light for my taste, but he is a pretty tough guy. He played in the slot at UT and went over the middle alot and was pretty key in picking up first downs. In the bowl game against Penn ST. they really missed him, he did alot of the dirty work for them. Still has the speed to stretch the defense though. He might move up depending on his combine work.

I saw the same things about Teal Marin as well. Seems all he did was make plays. He might be a steal in the late rounds.

Jessie Wendt also impresses me. He's big (not just tall) and has very good speed.

Tax --- FYI!

Anthony Gonzalez

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 195 | 40-Time: 4.40

Official Bio

Strengths:

Adequate height and bulk...A fantastic route runner who just knows how to get open...Has very good timed speed and quickness...Hands are excellent....Is very smart...An above average blocker who gives a good effort...Excellent intangibles and a hard worker who's dedicated to being the best player he can be...Can also help out as a return man...Still improving, got better every year and has upside.

Weaknesses:

Only started for one season in college and was never the main focus of defenses attention...Did not make many big plays...May have some trouble beating the jam at the line...Has some trouble with physical corners...Was shut down in the BCS Championship game (along with the rest of the Buckeye offense) when Ted Ginn, Jr. was injured...Doesn't do much after the catch...May never be a true #1 target.

Notes:

Was overshadowed by his teammate Ginn but some feel he may wind up being a better pro...Was used as more of a possession receiver in college and often times worked out of the slot but his physical tools lead you to believe he could be much more...He reminds me a bit of Kevin Curtis...Probably best suited to be a #2 or #3 wideout at the next level...He'll never be a star but will be a valuable contributor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2003 DNP - - - -

2004 8 8 179 22.4 2

2005 12 28 373 13.3 3

2006 13 51 734 14.4 8

Totals 33 87 1,286 14.8 13

doesn't do much after the catch isn't good, my logic for taking CJ, is he is an awesome talent, but also that our defense doesn't need to be top 10 for us to win games, we just need to get decent.

if we have a defense that only gives up 17points a game we don't CJ, DJ, EJ or any of the other wide receivers you mentioned, we spent big for 2 last year, let's not jump to any conclusions and see if they pan out before we go revamping the entire team again. There will be another draft next year and more WRs available, maybe we should wait it out?

Bleed -- disagree ... the WR position is THE most important offensive weapon ... you haven't watched the trend in modern NFL play ... its "throw to set up the run" ... not vice versa ... look at the Colts model ... QB plus TWO wideouts plus a field stretching TE plus 2 o.k. RBs and a "mediocre" Defense ... gets you the Big One!

Bleed -- disagree ... the WR position is THE most important offensive weapon ... you haven't watched the trend in modern NFL play ... its "throw to set up the run" ... not vice versa ... look at the Colts model ... QB plus TWO wideouts plus a field stretching TE plus 2 o.k. RBs and a "mediocre" Defense ... gets you the Big One!

sure... if you have peyton. then you throw to set up the run. if you don't, but have portis/betts instead, then you run to set up the long pass to your burner moss. gotta play to your strengths.

Archived