Extremeskins

Gregg Williams must go?

robotfire

Tennessee (as defensive coordinator):

1997 – 12th in points allowed, 22nd in yards allowed

1998 – 12th in points allowed, 14th in yards allowed

1999 – 15th in points allowed, 18th in yards allowed

2000 – 2nd in points allowed, 2nd in yards allowed

According to Gregg Williams’s wikipedia page (referring to 2000): As the Defensive Coordinator, the Titans led the league in total defense and only gave up 191 points, the third fewest in the NFL since the league adopted the 16-game schedule in 1978. The defense also helped lead the Titans to Super Bowl XXXIV where they lost to the St. Louis Rams.

Buffalo (as head coach, referring to his defense):

2001 – 29th in points allowed, 21st in yards allowed

2002 – 27th in points allowed, 15th in yards allowed

2003 – 5th in points allowed, 2nd in yards allowed

Fifth in points allowed and SECOND overall defense, yet this is what people point to as the period where Gregg Williams was a bad coach. Indeed, his team was bad. However, defense wasn’t why he got fired by any stretch of the imagination.

Washington (as defensive coordinator):

2004 – 5th in points allowed, 3rd in yards allowed

2005 – 9th in points allowed, 9th in yards allowed

2006 – 27th in points allowed, 31st in yards allowed

One uncharacteristically terrible season and people start making stuff up. Does this track record really warrant the knee-jerk reactions of some of the fans on this board? I think his statistics refute the “He’s always good for two seasons and then he blows it” argument. In fact, his track record really proves exactly the opposite.

I'm just saying, is all...

2001 – 29th in points allowed, 21st in yards allowed

2002 – 27th in points allowed, 15th in yards allowed

These stats are a glass half empty, glass half full typ of thing. If you look at it this way... what would you say?

These stats are a glass half empty, glass half full typ of thing. If you look at it this way... what would you say?

Well, what if you look at it this way:

2000 – 2nd in points allowed, 2nd in yards allowed

2003 – 5th in points allowed, 2nd in yards allowed

Washington (as defensive coordinator):

2004 – 5th in points allowed, 3rd in yards allowed

2005 – 9th in points allowed, 9th in yards allowed

Not half bad huh?

You cant just take years out...

Also, his first two years in Buffalo he was the HC so he couldnt focus on the D as much as he can as a D cord. So it took an extra couple years before his third year got it down.

I'm fine with Gregg coming back next season exactly because of what he accomplished his first two seasons here. Nobody expected this defense to take such a nose dive. I think it humbled GW somewhat. It should /could also serve to strengthen GW's resolve to turn this thing around and perhaps enable him to have more of an open mind in an effort to get this defense back into the top ten and silence his critics. The defense is going to predominate and take center stage during the next couple of months I think.

OFFSEASON! Come up with something, ANYTHING, because this next few months is going to be painful...

Actually, this is the more exciting time of the offseason. We have the combine, FA, and draft coming up. Wait until after June 1 when nothing is going on and all the teams are on vacation until training camp begins.

And really, why would the team fire Williams?

That's basically it. I'm a G. Williams supporter, but the first thing that jumped out at me with those stats was how many mediocre years the man had.

I would be very happy personally with his years in tennessee. 12th in points allowed? Awesome. Thats really not that bad. It is the most important stat, and with a team that gives up the 12th fewest points in the league, we can win with that.

I am apalled!!!

One of the joy's of being LIFE-LONG Skins fan is that, until recent times, we were always a cut above the rest in the class and loyalty departments.

If you are a real Redskins fan, you know that it impossible to ask more of Greg Williams' defense than what was given every week for 60 minutes a game.

Springs, Salavea, Griffin, Marshall, Daniels. All out for extended times. Some w/ surgery. Do the math.

I am real fan! I will put my starting 11 up against any in the league.

Greg Williams is a Redskin. Bottom line.

p.s. Justice for Art!!!!:logo:

I am apalled!!!

One of the joy's of being LIFE-LONG Skins fan is that, until recent times, we were always a cut above the rest in the class and loyalty departments.

If you are a real Redskins fan, you know that it impossible to ask more of Greg Williams' defense than what was given every week for 60 minutes a game.

Springs, Salavea, Griffin, Marshall, Daniels. All out for extended times. Some w/ surgery. Do the math.

I am real fan! I will put my starting 11 up against any in the league.

Greg Williams is a Redskin. Bottom line.

p.s. Justice for Art!!!!:logo:

I agree :applause:

Greg Williams is a great coach. They just lost too many good players. Clark, Harris, Stodmire, PP and Springs was out all year.

Then Arch, Rumph and Wright all turned out to be bust in the same year. Just bad luck.

He is so great he ruins teams... Any D Coach could have came in here and done something with the squad we had, HAD. G Williams needs to go. Must we get into why? If you have any questions, just watch the season over. He said it himself that the players are interchangeable. Well the players changed, the lousy system has proven to suck.

He is so great he ruins teams... Any D Coach could have came in here and done something with the squad we had, HAD. G Williams needs to go. Must we get into why? If you have any questions, just watch the season over. He said it himself that the players are interchangeable. Well the players changed, the lousy system has proven to suck.

Ruins teams? Really? Okay. The thread starter provided some very interesting stats and Pinstripe followed up pretty well. How about you? Where's the proof on ruining teams?( not including last year). The point here is after one tough season, why get rid of the man? Now, that's not to say that I don't think Gregg needs to do some serious evaluation, because it seems as thought the players weren't as interchangeable as we were led to believe and teams seemed to find some weaknesses in his defenses. However, letting him go as a result is knee jerk to say the least.

Ruins teams? Really? Okay. The thread starter provided some very interesting stats and Pinstripe followed up pretty well. How about you? Where's the proof on ruining teams?( not including last year). The point here is after one tough season, why get rid of the man? Now, that's not to say that I don't think Gregg needs to do some serious evaluation, because it seems as thought the players weren't as interchangeable as we were led to believe and teams seemed to find some weaknesses in his defenses. However, letting him go as a result is knee jerk to say the least.

U serious? Why not include last year? We have the highest paid coaching staff. Ruins teams? Anyone who comes in and claims his system is what make plays is an over arrogant ass, his interviews are rediculous since he takes only credit if something goes well. I dont need a newsletter to see the defense sucks, I watch the games, in person as well as on tv. Body language speaks plenty. The players cant stand him. He comes and there is a decline in performance, WHO IS RESPONSIBLE??

"Not including last year" WHY NOT??? HE GOT PAID DIDNT HE???

Its not so much that he's an incapable defensive coordinator, because he's proved that his defensive schemes are subject to success, its just that he has an impeccably large ego that he refuses to get rid of. His past success has gone to his head, and his spoiled attitude caused us Lavar (say what you want about him, Lavar was still a solid Franchise player), he didn't acknowledge the importance of Antonio Pierce, and if he isn't stopped, than he could be retarding Taylor's development as a player.

"Not including last year" WHY THE F*** NOT??? HE GOT PAID DIDNT HE???

ALL...learn the rule about "circumventing the profanity filters" and avoid setting yourself up for another moderating action, thus sparing us from a potential addition to your...insightful...signature spasm.

I'm going on record know, this defense will NOT be as bad as it was last year. It seemed to me the whole defense had a crappy year. It will be better next season.

lol, Im with ya. Every year I preach this every year, and lose money and random bets. Wishful thinking I guess. Good thing about being in the military is your surrounded by everyother teams fans. Im fortunate now though, there is a pilot who I found out was a Skinsfan too. So we talk some crap to everyone.

"This will be the year.." lol

]']Its not so much that he's an incapable defensive coordinator' date=' because he's proved that his defensive schemes are subject to success, its just that he has an impeccably large ego that he refuses to get rid of. His past success has gone to his head, and his spoiled attitude caused us Lavar (say what you want about him, Lavar was still a solid Franchise player), he didn't acknowledge the importance of Antonio Pierce, and if he isn't stopped, than he could be retarding Taylor's development as a player[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Archived