Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Williams must go?

robotfire

Im talking about the players that were here as well as the ones that arrived, especially Sean Taylor.

So basically you want to give him no credit for the guys he brings in to fix the team, yet you want to blame him when some of his guys leave due to cap issues.

You say any coach can have a great D with those players from 2004. Could any coach have a great D with the players from 2006?

We still have 8 of those 11 starters that "any D Coach could have came in here and done something with", and we probably could get Smoot back to make it 9.

All I know is that the Defense is there, injuries did cause problems. The D played lights out in the Saints and Panthers game, both games with a healthy Springs, Big Joe and Griffin. In fact the defense was pretty good after the bye week until Springs and Griffin got hurt in the Rams game. The Defense will bounce back.

All I know is that the Defense is there, injuries did cause problems. The D played lights out in the Saints and Panthers game, both games with a healthy Springs, Big Joe and Griffin. In fact the defense was pretty good after the bye week until Springs and Griffin got hurt in the Rams game. The Defense will bounce back.

I hope your right, I honestly do.

Yeah, I'd say given his past success it's just a tad knee-jerk to be gunning for him after one piss poor season. I'm tired of this Redskin mentality that we've developed during the Snyder era, where we just get rid of players/coaches after one bad season (When they've performed well in the past) and move on to sign busts.

Maybe Williams is arrogant, a prick, and demanding; maybe he says "anyone can work in the system" so that if players don't perform well they know they might be riding the bench until they put forth extra effort.

We'll all be watching close this season to see what changes Williams makes, but don't call for the guy's head until we at least see if he bounces back.

To post my opinions on the last couple posts.

First, Snyder just signs the contract and makes sure it does not violate the cap. Player personnel decisions rests with Gibbs. Gibbs listens to the other coaches, Vinny and the scouting department and puts his stamp on all personnel moves.

Second, personnel moves is what I blame Williams for the most. The team could have kept Pierce, Clarke and not signed Williams. I am sure he gave his blessing on all those moves.

Third, I agree that Williams needs a little humility and hopefully he changes his ways just a little bit.

Lastly, GW is not ruining this team.

GW is a great coach. He has a great defensive mind. We lacked talent on our D this year and that was his fault for not keeping good players (AP, FS, RC, LA). He is just bad with personnel decisions. I really hope he sticks around, because when we upgrade the talent, the defense will jump back into the upper half of the league again.

He is so great he ruins teams... Any D Coach could have came in here and done something with the squad we had, HAD. G Williams needs to go. Must we get into why? If you have any questions, just watch the season over. He said it himself that the players are interchangeable. Well the players changed, the lousy system has proven to suck.

George edwards comes to mind he did a real good job of keeping this a top teir defense

your defense of williams defense sucking is weak. He said himself anyone could play in his system and it would be still great. Obviously that wasnt true, see defense 2006
You find me one single quote where he said that and I will find you ten where he said his defense isn't that complicated. He has said many times in the past that he wants the best players. He has said many times that the players make the defense. People take that one article written by Tom Friend as gospel and ignore a history of good coaching. It's mind boggling!

Many of his players have said that you can stick anybody in and they'd play great in a GW defense. That's his players talking- NOT him. People paint this image about Gregg Williams, and it's honestly hilarious. They repeat over and over again a few key words: ego, isolate, credit, interchangeable, etc. These buzz words have been mentioned so many times here that people have actually started to believe them. It's absurd.

George edwards comes to mind he did a real good job of keeping this a top teir defense

its tier, but irregardless (my shop's word at work lol) maybe Im wrong but all year long Im just wondering why he calls the plays he calls.

Im very unhappy with the players we have lost due to how his attitude has been towards them.

He is one of highest paid D coaches with the worst results now. Granted its 1 year, but has it not been declining?

We as fans have watched over and over all of our guys stack up the LOS and watched opposing qb's carelessly call audibles and pick us apart. Along with STaylor's play just steadily decline as well in which he just needs to be coached better.

Who knows, NO ONE HERE neither do I know what this next season has in store but I just hope since he is staying around Im wrong.

Nevertheless, :cheers: on me!

You find me one single quote where he said that and I will find you ten where he said his defense isn't that complicated. He has said many times in the past that he wants the best players. He has said many times that the players make the defense. People take that one article written by Tom Friend as gospel and ignore a history of good coaching. It's mind boggling!

Many of his players have said that you can stick anybody in and they'd play great in a GW defense. That's his players talking- NOT him. People paint this image about Gregg Williams, and it's honestly hilarious. They repeat over and over again a few key words: ego, isolate, credit, interchangeable, etc. These buzz words have been mentioned so many times here that people have actually started to believe them. It's absurd.

He wants the best players? For starters he should try to keep his best players.

I like Greg Williams! We cannot blame this year's defensive woes on Greg. Aside from bad luck, in my opinion there were a couple reasons why the defense was inept this year. One reason was because the offense did not score enough points this year and to compound this they did not hold ball long enough to rest our defense in between possessions. I am so glad that we made a commitment to the running game towards the end of the season.

I believe the Skins preseason personnel moves this year were solid. Who could have known that Archeleta, Rumph, and Wright would have been such a bust. We definitely need a another good corner for next year! Combined with our lack of pass rush, our lack of coverage was magnified by many teams. Injuries also hampered us by not allowing us to have some of our better players on the field.

However, I think Greg's coaching staff did a good job this year, not stellar, but good. Many times Greg put our players were in position to make plays, and they just did not make them! At times I just could not understand it! Can you blame this on the coach? I do not think that anyone can question our player's effort, but we missed a lot of potential big plays. Who knows what happens if we make those plays! And no defense can overcome poor tackling! A perfect example of this would be the Rams game. We made Steven Jackson look super; and he simply is not as elusive as we made him look! We all know how turnovers can change a game. We dropped so many interceptions, I lost count. I read somewhere Carlos Rogers commented that if he pulled in all the interceptions that he dropped, he would have been in the Pro Bowl. I am inclined to agree. We simply have to make the plays when they present themselves. We definitely have the talent.

I would like to commend Greg because he was able to maintain team integrity in the face of this adversity. I did not here Greg Williams point any out any of his players individually or put any blame on anyone specifically. He is a team player and believes that a team is a family, as I do. A team must stick together to achieve success over the long haul and to endure the tough times.

The defense definitely has a lot of work to do this offseason, but I do not feel we need to make wholesale changes, especially not in the coaching staff. A player or two can here and there can make all the difference. With free agency, it may be hard to keep all of your good players, but continuity can be maintained in the coaching staff. Greg Williams is one of our core Redskins and I am glad he is in Washington.

From a non-stastical opinion standpoint of the on field play I'd say that since Williams has been here the Open field tackling fundamentals have went from outstanding to good to Mediocre.

That is the reality of Him as a coach and I think the fact that we have fallen from 2nd to 11th to 29th is a reflection of this non-statistical observation.

That said, He should stay. Before he was here we had the fundamentals but not the smarts....He has the smarts but he fails to focus on the fundamentals enough. That's an easy fix. but does Gibbs have the leadership to demand it? that's the real question.....

the answer to that question used to be a no-brainer...not so much anymore.

One uncharacteristically terrible season and people start making stuff up. Does this track record really warrant the knee-jerk reactions of some of the fans on this board?

I'm just saying, is all...

No. Williams is a beast as a coach, and unfortunately he couldn't overcome injuries, poor tackling, etc...

Ain't Williams' fault, and I think next year he'll have everything back to where it was barring injuries.

HTTR

Archived