Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let Dock Walk the Path of Free Agency

Mark28

Let me start by saying I hope we can re-sign him. Obviously keeping continuity is important and I think the Skins front office wants him.

However:

I think we should let the process determine his worth and then match, if possible, if the amounts are agreeable.

We usually overpay, so doing this would give us a real gauge on his true worth.

If someone knocks him over with a big offer let him go and re-sign Mike Pucillo to a three or four year deal and make him the starter.

I would be comfortable with either scenario. I don't think in reaction to him possibly leaving we should go out and throw a ton of money at Steinbach for instance. I think we should have patience on this one.

The main reason I say this is because it's more important to prepare for the signings of Chris Cooley and Sean Taylor in '08 (ST in '09?).

Now we hear that the Skins might be targeting Fletcher and Clements of the Bills. I hope it's not at CC and ST's expense.

Please give me your opinions on this. :2cents:

Mark

I agree with your reasoning, but i dont know if pucillo has done enough to earn a starting job. I'm almost sure he would be a downgrade. I think that having chemistry between the lineman, which is what we have, is sometimes more important than just raw skill. we really need to resign dock:2cents:

My guess is that Dock is going to be looking for a contract averaging $3-4m a year. He's never made a pro bowl and isn't the top guard in free agency so that keeps his worth a little in check but he's been a consistent starter, is young and entering his prime years and has played on a team that has run the ball well consistently the past three years and had a good record (at least in terms of sacks allowed) in pass pro last season.

The trick is how long to do a deal for and how much back loading will the player and his agent accept.

Would you offer Dock about the same as (what) Jansen (just got)? Maybe a touch less? I'd deal arounds that depending on structure but any more and I think the team has to be careful purely because of the amount of cap money tied into the OL.

Pucillo is NOT starter material. If Dock walks, we need to pick up someone else in FA. If Dock hits the market, he won't be back. Guys who don't get re-signed before March never stick around.

I'm uncertain if Pucillo can be a fulltime starter, but I do think his value minimally as a versatile backup makes him worth resigning! He should come cheap and may make sense to sign to a two year deal.

I agree if Dock hits the market he is gone. I am torn with Dock.

On one side he is young, talented and works well with the others on the line.

On the other side he has been inconsistent through his career, although coming off a stellar season. Also he will command big dollars. We have already have four expensive linemen and have many other roster gaps to fill with little cap space and few draft picks.

There is still two weeks or so before Dock becomes a FA, so we just have to play the waiting game. Dock hitting the FA market would be a good thing, because he is decent, but is not going to land a big contract. This year we actually have cap space to retain him, and I believe if the Skins offer a contract to Dock that is close to the other offers, that Dock will opt to stay here. This could also help because FA could actually drive Dock's price down.

Another thread had a poster claim that the Skins could reach 20 mill. in cap space. The steps laid out didn't seem over the top, but rather implementable. If the Skins get enough cap space, then let Dock go if he's asking too much and sign Steinbach. Yes he will want more money, but Steinbach is a better guard, and would improve our run game more than Dock would. Plus, it's such an obvious upgrade and a good move, that I don't think the team would be too upset at Dock leaving then. Re-signing Wade should be a priority, regardless of what happens to Dock. I wouldn't mind us grabbing Pettigout for back-up also, but he actually might receive a good contract from a team in desparate need of O-line help (Arizona, Houston, Oakland, etc.).

If we are going to overpay someone - let's finally overpay one of our own. Dock is very big and durable. Samuels loves him. On the efficiency stats on ESPN etc. Dock gets rated as one of the best guards. He has said he wants to stay here. We have to keep him or all this core guy stuff is BS.

Yeah, that strategy worked out great with Antonio Pierce, Fred Smoot, and Ryan Clark. Every day that goes by is a day that Dock gets a bigger whiff of the big money. Not re-signing our best O-lineman from the past season would be complete stupidity. Then again it wouldn't be the first time we did something that made no sense whatsoever.

If we are going to overpay someone - let's finally overpay one of our own. Dock is very big and durable. Samuels loves him. On the efficiency stats on ESPN etc. Dock gets rated as one of the best guards. He has said he wants to stay here. We have to keep him or all this core guy stuff is BS.

I'm with you! Keep Dock around if at all possible. I hope he doesn't get a huge offer somewhere like Arizona, b/c the Skins might not be in a position to match.

Pucillo is NOT starter material. If Dock walks, we need to pick up someone else in FA. If Dock hits the market, he won't be back. Guys who don't get re-signed before March never stick around.

Exactly, Pucillo is garbage and more of a Center anyways...FO needs to step up and pay Dock his money.

dock and samuels is according to the metrics the best left side of an offensive line in the NFL. I think we need to keep dock, no one can knock us for overpaying to keep our own YOUNG starters. We just have to make sure we don't low ball him, after Betts signed his extension many in league circles considered it a bad deal for him, so Dockery might be on his guard about being offered too little.

dock and samuels is according to the metrics the best left side of an offensive line in the NFL. I think we need to keep dock, no one can knock us for overpaying to keep our own YOUNG starters. We just have to make sure we don't low ball him, after Betts signed his extension many in league circles considered it a bad deal for him, so Dockery might be on his guard about being offered too little.

Betts didn't get a great contract. If he had waited until the end of the season he likely would have done better. But then again this year he played far more without getting hurt than ever before. He tears his knee up while playing out the season and he would have gotten exactly $0. That's the way contracts and injuries work. The earlier a contract is signed the more risk the team assumes - the later it is signed, the more risk the player is assuming. Until after the season, then it flips again and the team assumes all the risk. Generally the price figures into who is assuming more of the risk. Frankly each day that goes by, the price for Dock is going to go up. There are SO many teams that have SO much cap room. Just give Dock the money.

For all the complaints about all the FA's we have let go, would it really be smart to let Dock go?

If Dock asks 10% more than we could sign an equal FA for to fill his shoes, hes worth the money. Why? Because while he would have the same skills, that continuity with the rest of the Oline is invaluable.

There are a lot of teams out there like the 49ers who have a lot of money to throw around and could improve their teams greatly with the addition of a young quality starting guard.

Dockery knows this and he knows he is going to get a good deal in free agency.

He is arguably worth MORE to the Redskins than these other teams, but they should have sighed him a long time ago, now they have to pay.

Here are your top ten guards available in free agency:

Link

1. Eric Steinbach (U) Cincinnati

2. Sean Locklear ® Seattle

3. Derrick Dockery (U) Washington

4. Cosey Coleman (U) Cleveland

5. Cooper Carlisle (U) Denver

6. Stacy Andrews ® Cincinnati

7. Andre Gurode (U) Dallas

8. Chris Gray (U) Seattle

9. Kris Dielman (U) San Diego

10. Jake Scott ® Indianapolis

So, unless they are interested in Steinbach (who I don't think fit's your offence as well as Dockery), they should sign Dockery.

This is all absolutely true. Signing your own players MUST begin at some point so let it begin with a guy who could make the pro bowl next year or the year after.

Remember, Nate Newton did not make the pro bowl his first few years with the Cowboys until he gained a little more weight and experience. I think Nate was about 28 or 29 before his first pro bowl so WHY let Dock go to someone else and let them have all his pro bowl years while we just continue to develope young guys for other teams while we sign old washed up players.

Archived