Extremeskins

07 NFL sneak preview, Skins mentioned

Skinsinparadise

s.gif

From Sporting news.

Posted: February 6, 2007

SN Staff

Like the phoenix, these three teams will rise

Buccaneers (5-11). Call it the Pride of Chucky. Jon Gruden, who knows something about winning the big one, is too good a coach to have his offense swallowed up by turnovers again. If Cadillac Williams bounces back and Chris Simms takes the next step in his development, the Bucs will more resemble their '05 version.

Texans (6-10). Speaking of offense-minded coaches, Gary Kubiak will help Houston find solutions at quarterback and running back to produce the type of balanced attack he had in Denver. And with Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans in place, the young defense bears watching.

Cardinals (5-11). Steelers West? Look for new coach Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, two former Pittsburgh assistants, to bring a physical style and winning attitude to the Cardinals. Considering the team's talent at the skill positions and the weak competition in its division, it may not take long for Arizona to ascend.

Following the leaders

The NFL is a copycat league -- and everyone believes the Super Bowl teams hold the road maps to success. By showing there is more than one way to the championship game, the Colts and Bears have given teams optional routes to follow in '07.

The double back track. As Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes proved in Indianapolis and Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson demonstrated in Chicago, a running combo can be just as effective as a lead horse. Defenses had to be prepared for backs who have different styles and generally were fresh.

The Tampa turnpike. The cover 2 defense, or Tampa 2, is permeating the league. It's an effective countermeasure against offenses that try to spread the field. Look for the number of teams that use the scheme to continue to grow.

Safety trail. The Colts' Bob Sanders and Antoine Bethea showed that the line between the free safety who can cover and the strong safety who can tackle is blurry. The positions are becoming interchangeable. Look for more teams to find players athletic enough to play both spots. -- Dennis Dillon

Free-agent shopping advice

PASS ON 'EM

Eagles QB Jeff Garcia and Chiefs QB Damon Huard. Combined age in 2007: 71.

Packers RB Ahman Green and Ravens RB Jamal Lewis. Let's see ... sign an older back with a history of knee injuries or draft a younger, healthier and cheaper version from a class loaded with runners?

Bengals CB Tory James and Bengals DE Justin Smith. You'd get an aging cornerback and an average end from the league's second-worst pass defense.

Cardinals OT Leonard Davis. Pound for all 365 pounds, he has been a super-sized disappointment and is not worth hefty bucks.

Seahawks TE Jerramy Stevens. Does he charge by the drop?

PAY FOR 'EM

Patriots CB Asante Samuel. If you think 16 picks in his last 23 games is good enough.

Ravens LB Adalius Thomas. Five great defenders for the price of one!

Colts RB Dominic Rhodes. See LaMont Jordan '05 and Chester Taylor '06.

Rams WR Kevin Curtis and Titans WR Drew Bennett. These guys can run and make big plays downfield.

Falcons QB Matt Schaub and Chargers RB Michael Turner. They're both restricted free agents, but there's nothing a lucrative offer sheet can't buy.

What we hope to see again

Brett Favre in the playoffs

Shaun Alexander in MVP form

Donovan McNabb healthy for an entire season

The Bengals and Jaguars playing like it's '05

What we hope not to see

Larry Johnson start to wear down

Joe Gibbs end his career with a losing season

A run defense as bad as the Colts' was in the regular season

That lame jump shot sack celebration

Ricky Williams messing up yet again with the Dolphins

What we -- unfortunately -- will see again

A Bengal getting arrested

The Raiders forgetting to run the ball

The Redskins overspending on overrated players

More Giants whining about Tom Coughlin

Terrell Owens whining about everything

What we -- fortunately -- will not see or hear again

Dennis Green whining about the Bears

Quarterback controversies in Dallas and Denver

Eric Mangini is too young to be a head coach"

"Peyton Manning isn't a big-game quarterback"

"Reggie Bush is too small for the NFL"

What we wouldn't mind seeing

The Patriots springing for playmakers to put around Tom Brady

A prime-time slot for next season's Vince Young-Michael Vick matchup

The Saints remaining among the NFC's elite

Mike Tomlin following the paths of Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith

L.T. and the Chargers finally winning the big one for Marty Schottenheimer -- Vinnie Iyer

s.gif

From Sporting news.

Posted: February 6, 2007

Cardinals (5-11). Steelers West? Look for new coach Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, two former Pittsburgh assistants, to bring a physical style and winning attitude to the Cardinals. Considering the team's talent at the skill positions and the weak competition in its division, it may not take long for Arizona to ascend.

Always with the Cardinals. I guess they have to ascend sometime...

I see the bizarre media love-affair with Arizona continues ...

No ****. It is bizarre.

hey if anyone missed it, the Cards picked up another key addition. They just hired our former Holder extraordinaire/Lion Killer Jeff Rutledge to coach up Matt Lienart and the rest of their quarterbacks. Hey at least they're bringing in winning attitudes, that's the fastest way to get to the top.

http://www.redskins.com/news/APNewsDetail.jsp?id=25484

well, Dennis Green had a history of winning football in Minnesota. He went to Arizona planning to resurrect the Cards. Ditto with Joe Bugel 20 years ago.

it is very difficult to develop a winning culture with a club that has known nothing but losing for most if not all of its history.

not only do you need better talent but you need to exorcise the demons.

in Tampa, Dungy went out and got the talent and then he changed those feminine uniforms into something respectable for today's NFL.

the Cardinals need to draft and sign linemen as FAs. toughness begins up front and the Cardinals are top heavy on skill players but lack quality performers in the trenches.

after that the Cards need to replace those 30 year old uniforms and helmets with some updated designs.

I might even consider changing the name from Cardinals to something more appropriate for the desert southwest.

after that the Cards need to replace those 30 year old uniforms and helmets with some updated designs.

I might even consider changing the name from Cardinals to something more appropriate for the desert southwest.

They changed their uniforms last year. The Cardinal is slanted differently and the jerseys are different. Still didn't translate to winning on the field.

New uniforms:

ayv3h458.jpg

BTW, the old uniform design went back to when they moved to St. Louis in 1960, so it goes back farther than you thought!

well, Dennis Green had a history of winning football in Minnesota. He went to Arizona planning to resurrect the Cards. Ditto with Joe Bugel 20 years ago. .

Well shoot, Buges actually did have that team going in the right direction, got them ready to compete and then that idiot Bidwell Fired him. I really think, given another year or 2 bugel may have had that team established as a playoff contender year in and year out, Bugel was the closest I think of any of their coaches in the last 25 years to turning that franchise around. Mcginnis did lead them to the playoffs in the late 90s but it was one time and they've sucked ever since. Bugel was also fired prematurely in Oakland after only 1 year. Bugel may have been one of the greats if he had only been given more opportunities.

agree with everything else though, you do need players to win, no matter who the coach is.

Texans and Bucs aren't going ANYWHERE.

Who is gonna be their QB?

If you want to know who's going to make some noise next year, look no further than the guy behind center.

With Carson Palmer back 100% healthy... the Bengals will rise again.

With Rothlisburger back... the Steelers will be there too.

And the Titans with Vince Young... a playoff team.

Dare I say.... Jason Campbell and the skins? If he keeps improving week to week like he has, I think we're a playoff team next year.

What I find funny about the Cardinals is that in their 86 year history, their post season record is 2-5. And one of those losses was in '82 when they had a monster tournament due to the strike. Their only 2 wins were in 1947 when they won the championship, and in 1998 when they beat Dallas (probably a more important victory). Overall, that's not many games in the post season.

Texans and Bucs aren't going ANYWHERE.

Who is gonna be their QB?

If you want to know who's going to make some noise next year, look no further than the guy behind center.

With Carson Palmer back 100% healthy... the Bengals will rise again.

With Rothlisburger back... the Steelers will be there too.

Roethlisberger was exposed last year as an average quarterback. Even in the Super Bowl he had a bad game and it seemed to carry over into this past season. A new coaching staff won't help in his development.

I agree with you on Palmer, though. If they can get their house in order and cut down on the distractions, they'll be right there.

Roethlisberger was exposed last year as an average quarterback. Even in the Super Bowl he had a bad game and it seemed to carry over into this past season. A new coaching staff won't help in his development.

I agree with you on Palmer, though. If they can get their house in order and cut down on the distractions, they'll be right there.

I think Rothy is going to prove the doubters wrong.

He is, imho, the Phil Simms of the modern era. A brilliant game manager who never makes the hilight reals and puts up the fantasy stats... but will win games no matter what it takes.

His pocket presence is the best in football imho.

With all of the turmoil he went thru last offseason, I don't think he should be judged on last season's performance whatsoever.

What I find funny about the Cardinals is that in their 86 year history, their post season record is 2-5. And one of those losses was in '82 when they had a monster tournament due to the strike. Their only 2 wins were in 1947 when they won the championship, and in 1998 when they beat Dallas (probably a more important victory). Overall, that's not many games in the post season.

It's sad for the Cardinals, considering they are the oldest franchise in the NFL along with the Bears. Funny how the Bears dominated the early NFL, and the Cardinals didn't.

The Cardinals are due for a turnaround, their o-line players are not bad, just underperforming. Grimm will certainly change that. Maybe I'm just biased cause the Cardinals have G Elton Brown who was the best guard coming out in 2005 and fell due to issues. They've drafted linemen pretty high, they just have not gotten the productivity. Again, I think that all changes with Grimm.

Their defense has had players too (SS Adrian Wilson, LB Karlos Dansby, DE Bertrand Berry), but it has not equated well, though they were 8th in 2005 (one spot higher than we were folks).

They have the talent, I think they finally get it done.

I think Rothy is going to prove the doubters wrong.

He is, imho, the Phil Simms of the modern era. A brilliant game manager who never makes the hilight reals and puts up the fantasy stats... but will win games no matter what it takes.

His pocket presence is the best in football imho.

With all of the turmoil he went thru last offseason, I don't think he should be judged on last season's performance whatsoever.

Nonsense. I am one of the ones who never jumped on the Big Ben Bandwagon, I tend to agree with BAFGA, he's average at best.

A player is judged based on what he does on the field, so Worthlessburger should own his sub par season.

i hate to say we can't fault this guy for what he said..first point, gibbs is too good of a coach to go out like that. we are going to have a good season. and second point, over the last decade, we've been doing this over and over..spending big on FA. i don't think we will do this anymore. archuleta and lloyd taught us a valuable lesson this year. i'd like to add some depth from the free agency though.

Archived