Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Casserly Keeping His Options Open

mhd24

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/19/AR2006121900495.html

Though I like CC personally, his gm record speaks for itself. He drafted three pro bowlers as the gm for the skins: Davis, Johnson, and Champ. His FA additions (Stubby, Richard, Stephens) contributed to years of futility. To write a scating attack on the skins when they have outdrafted the Texans since CC took them over is biased and uninformative. (The Texans have one great player drafted: Andre Johnson, a very good one in Dunta Robinson. Carr, Babin, and Travis Johnson are busts). I'd take Taylor, Cooley, Rogers, Betts, Dockery, and JC over the Texans drafts.

Casserly Keeping His Options Open

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...6121900495.html

By Leonard Shapiro

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, December 19, 2006; 10:56 AM

If Joe Gibbs is truly serious about bringing in a general manager to help straighten out the Redskins next year, he need look no further than Northwest Washington to find a viable and eminently qualified candidate with years of GM experience, many of them at Redskins Park old and new.

Charley Casserly, who served as the Redskins General Manager from 1989 to '92 during the Gibbs I Era, moved back to Georgetown over the summer after spending the last four years launching the Houston Texans as the expansion team's first general manager. He resigned in May with a year remaining on his contract following a 2-14 season, ostensibly to pursue a job as the NFL's director of football operations.

Click the link at the top for the complete story.

Leonard Shapiro can be reached at Badgerlen@hotmail.com or Badgerlen@aol.com.

I have no hard feelings for Casserly, but I agree - I'd rather leave that idea alone.

I'm not sure how Casserly was "wronged". - When the team doesn't have success, you get replaced. Especially when new ownership comes in. - See Miami and Minnesota - Both of their GM's were fired last year. We they "wronged"?

Casserly got over a decade of chances with the skins and failed miserably. What era of Skins history do we remember more for it's draft futility than the '90s? Our draft history during Gibbs return has gotten blasted by some, yet my impression is that it has been an excellent period, partly because we have gotten some good players out of the draft and partly because in a decade of picks we got so few decent players under Casserly. In 3 years with Gibbs we've gotten Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Jason Campbell, Chris Cooley, Ladell Betts, Derrick Dockery, Kedric Golston... That easily equals (at least) what we got in a decade with Casserly.

He also remains a class act, and a great asset for CBS Sports who would be wise to avoid Redskins Park at all cost, unless he's going there with a camera crew.

Leonard Shapiro can be reached at Badgerlen@hotmail.com or Badgerlen@aol.com.

Damn, they made us wait all the way to the end for the gratuitous pot shot at Snyder and Co. Don't these clowns know that for better or worse, the Skins manage to get whoever they want? That's really the root of all the hatred - envy. Can't get Schottenheimer - too old school for the Danny. Can't get Spurrier - loves the college life and would never work for the Danny. Certainly can't get Gibbs - he's been retired for 12 years and is to classy to work for the Danny. Bottom line - if Snyder and Gibbs want him, he'll be ours.

Don't tell me it's about the money either. Every team has the means to pay a coach 5 mill per year if they want to. All 3 of these guys could have had ANY opening at the time they got back into coaching. No one closes like the Danny.

Casserly got over a decade of chances with the skins and failed miserably. What era of Skins history do we remember more for it's draft futility than the '90s? Our draft history during Gibbs return has gotten blasted by some, yet my impression is that it has been an excellent period, partly because we have gotten some good players out of the draft and partly because in a decade of picks we got so few decent players under Casserly. In 3 years with Gibbs we've gotten Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Jason Campbell, Chris Cooley, Ladell Betts, Derrick Dockery, Kedric Golston... That easily equals (at least) what we got in a decade with Casserly.

Although Dockery and Betts were Spurrier picks ;)

But you are right, there have been plenty of good draft picks by this FO, however not nearly enough, and the 2005 draft is basically a bust now

Damn, they made us wait all the way to the end for the gratuitous pot shot at Snyder and Co. Don't these clowns know that for better or worse, the Skins manage to get whoever they want? That's really the root of all the hatred - envy. Can't get Schottenheimer - too old school for the Danny. Can't get Spurrier - loves the college life and would never work for the Danny. Certainly can't get Gibbs - he's been retired for 12 years and is to classy to work for the Danny. Bottom line - if Snyder and Gibbs want him, he'll be ours.

Don't tell me it's about the money either. Every team has the means to pay a coach 5 mill per year if they want to. All 3 of these guys could have had ANY opening at the time they got back into coaching. No one closes like the Danny.

You hit the nail on the head there bro. Only pride alone can keep one away from Danny cash! For better or worse, Danny always gets his guy.

He'd be better than the current "front office" but barely. His track record here was mediocre -- at best. And he was a disaster in Houston.

I doubt it will happen. Vinny ain't gonna get fired. Gibbs just doesn't have the stomach to can anybody anymore.

If Joe Gibbs is truly serious about bringing in a general manager to help straighten out the Redskins next year, he need look no further than Northwest Washington to find a viable and eminently qualified candidate with years of GM experience, many of them at Redskins Park old and new.

Lord, please, no...:doh:

The last thing this organization needs is yet another blast from the past. We need someone younger, hungrier.

The good people of New Orleans must have love for Charley like no other. :laugh:

The good people of New Orleans must have love for Charley like no other. :laugh:

Why? Because he got an entire draft's worth of picks from Ditka and still traded back up and got Champ?

Getting Casserly back would be a big positive, as long as he and Gibbs could work out an arrangement. In fact, he may be the only guy out there with whom Gibbs could work out an arrangement.

As usual, the brain surgeons on here trash anybody who's no longer with the team, but Casserly has a solid record. Could not be anything but an upgrade over what we have now.

Casserly?? CASSERLY!!!!????

Horrified-Orangutan.gif

I really hope the skins don't sign Casserly as a GM, even though he did make some good trades, and drafted some good players. There were alot of player that he drafted that stunk like Andre Johnson the Tackle from Penn State that sucked, Heath Shuler, Skip Hicks, and the list goes on and on. If get a GM lets go for someone who has a winning recordd through the draft like Ron Wolf, or someone who young and up and coming like a Scott Piolle type person.

Why? Because he got an entire draft's worth of picks from Ditka and still traded back up and got Champ?

Casserly used just three of the Saints' picks and traded the others away. So besides Chump, who did the Redskins get? Nate Stimson, Lloyd Harrison, and Mr. Nickels. Guys who didn't want to be here, and never-will-be's. :doh1:

Getting Casserly back would be a big positive, as long as he and Gibbs could work out an arrangement. In fact, he may be the only guy out there with whom Gibbs could work out an arrangement.

As usual, the brain surgeons on here trash anybody who's no longer with the team, but Casserly has a solid record. Could not be anything but an upgrade over what we have now.

Desmond Howard, Heath Shuler, Andre Johnson, Michael Westbrook, Tom Carter. Any of those names ring a bell? Charley's angels. 2006? An okay DE at the top pick, passing on Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Matt Leinart etc. Well, at least David Carr has a share of that consecutive completions record. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As usual, some folks on here can't stop living in the past. :geek:

Sorry to offend you by not seeing things your way (don't think name-calling's necessary), but he's had a lot of 1st and 2nd round failures and even more FA let downs.

His best days as a GM, like Bethard's, were when he was teamed with Joe Gibbs. When he was with Norv and Houston he didn't get close to the success, although some of that can fall to the coaches coaching the players.

2006 - Mario Williams

2005 - Travis Johnson

2004 - Dunta Robinson and Jason Babin

2003 - Andre Johnson

2002 - David Carr, Jabar Gaffney

1999 - 2 out of 6 picks played more than a year in the NFL (Bailey and Jansen)

1998 - best pick was 4th rounder Shawn Barber, Stephan Alexander was ok, but not worth a 2nd round pick. - the other 5 were non-factors

1997 - Kenard Lang - 1st

1996 - Andre Johnson - 1st - never played an NFL game

1995 - Micheal Westbrook

1994 - Heath Shuler

1993 - Tom Carter

---------------

I think Casserly would have been an asset to Snyder when he first bought the team because he could of helped in finding a new coach and advised Snyder in a few other things that he had to figure out on his own.

Archived