Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Casserly Keeping His Options Open

mhd24

I wonder how a GM would work within our current structure.

As much as I want one here, it is going to be weird to have Gibbs the President be the boss over a GM. How will disputes over players be resolved (and there are always disputes) if the president and coach are the same person?

I hope we bring someone in, however I think it will work much better once Gibbs is JUST the president and we have someone else coaching.

I'm not really in favor of bringing Casserly back but let's not forget that when Danny annointed himself as GM, we had a division champion team and Casserly left him with 3 first round picks. We were good on the verge of great and could have insured our success for years to come but Danny managed to rip that apart in one offseason.

I am sorry, but please do not bring back Casserly

I just need to bring up Westbrook, Shuler, Andre Johnson, 3 picks for Brad Johnson, 1 playoff apperance without Joe Gibbs, never any quality players on the d-line

Its amazing, get "wronged" in the NFL and everyone thinks you are the 2nd coming

Agreed-- please let us not bring back the days of the Turner era again, including the FO.

Just so you guys know: Casserly is getting the job with the NFL head offices. In a backroom deal, Casserly agreed to pick Mario Williams to let hurricane battered New Orleans get Reggie Bush. Obviously, Bush was the most electric and exciting player to come out of college in the past decade, and the NFL decided that New Orleans needed something to ease the pain of having their city leveled.

Casserly agreed to forego Bush in exchange for the cushy job near the top of the NFL pecking order. In 4-6 years, Casserly will either be #2 in the NFL hierarchy behind Goodell or be commish himself. Just watch.

This board keeps getting dumber by the minute. If you think there is a problem with the way things are currently being run, you need to wake up and realize that Casserly is potentially the only individual Gibbs would even consider bringing in, because he's worked with him before and he knows him. Otherwise, the chances of it happening are slim to none.

Casserly does not deserve this over the top bashing. He is solid. He believes in building through the draft. He does not throw away draft picks. If he made a major mistake in Houston, it was the coach he hired, not the players. Maybe on his own, Casserly is too cautious for his own good. Here, he would be a perfect counterbalance to the insanity.

But mainly, like I said...there is probably nobody else Gibbs would actually consider bringing in. So SHUT UP you freaking morons-- before you give Snyder and Vinny the excuse they need to keep doing what they've been doing.

This board keeps getting dumber by the minute. If you think there is a problem with the way things are currently being run, you need to wake up and realize that Casserly is potentially the only individual Gibbs would even consider bringing in, because he's worked with him before and he knows him. Otherwise, the chances of it happening are slim to none.

Casserly does not deserve this ridiculous bashing. He is solid. He believes in building through the draft. He does not throw away draft picks. If he made a major mistake in Houston, it was the coach he hired, not the players. Maybe on his own, Casserly is too cautious for his own good. Here, he would be a perfect counterbalance to the insanity.

But mainly, like I said...there is probably nobody else Gibbs would actually consider bringing in.

I'm not a Casserly fan, but at the same time, you make a great point. Casserly may be the only guy Gibbs will bring in. Everybody says Gibbs is the only coach Snyder would never meddle with. Well, he doesn't have to meddle because Gibbs lets him have input via Cerrato. What we need is someone with a strong opinion and plan -- one they're going to stick to. What we need is someone who values the draft and does not value the football "knowledge" of the Danny and his racquetball partner. Casserly would just be an added voice -- but I don't see how he could possibly make things worse.

Casserly does not deserve this over the top bashing. He is solid. He believes in building through the draft. He does not throw away draft picks. If he made a major mistake in Houston, it was the coach he hired, not the players. Maybe on his own, Casserly is too cautious for his own good. Here, he would be a perfect counterbalance to the insanity.

But mainly, like I said...there is probably nobody else Gibbs would actually consider bringing in. So SHUT UP you freaking morons-- before you give Snyder and Vinny the excuse they need to keep doing what they've been doing.

You without a doubt IS the moron... you must have the memory of a fruit fly!

When revisionist historians like mister Shapiro will like us believe that Mr. Casserly was unjustly fired, you begin to wonder whether everyone thinks that Skins fans are like the rest of populace... devoid of rational thinking or a having a descerning mind...can't sift through cow dung from the pasture? Like the email I wrote to Mister Sharpiro, It must be nice to have friends in the media.

In no other business will a fraud like Mr. Casserly ever get hired again as a GM unless he owned the team. Snyder DID fire the right guy!

Let me give you a run down of Mr. Casserly draft picks in Washington... (incase AJ Skins is new to the DC area... or part of the Johnny-Just-Come-Lately-Bash-Snyder-for-Everything-Wrong- with-Skins Fan club) Bobby Wilson, Heath Shuler, Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Tom Carter, Andre Johnson, Steven Alexander, Rod Gardener... etc! (less than 8 percent success rate in the FIRST ROUND)!

Okay let me play the role of "Johnny-Just-Come-Lately-Bash-Snyder-for-Everything-Wrong- with-Skins Fanclub!" for an instance… "well, draft picks are a crab shoot"… Ok, Mr. Apologist, What about the myriad of free agent busts (please don’t get me started on those) he brought to DC and the millions of dollars in salaries that were wasted by this supposedly GM genius? Is Casserly any different from any blind, drunk rotisserie league playing no football knowing wannabe clown wanting to play GM? Above all, the one reason Casserly should NEVER be allowed back into the SKINS is that he was directly responsible for hoisting Norv Turner on us. He did not fire a guy who for SEVEN years did not have a winning record against ANY NFC East team which included the Bidwell Cardinals.

What else does he need to do to get fired?

Make us the Cardinals of the east? Sorry, he already did that before he left… maybe, make us the Texans of the East? Huh?

Sorry, AJ-Skins, YOU are the moron for thinking for a second that Charley Casserly is the answer for what ails us. Yes, we need a GM but if Casserly is the answer, we might as well hire the guys who ran Enron and MCI… as we can see, they have a lot in common with Charley.

Who is this Randy Mueller (spelling?) guy they said on Cold Pizza thats in the GM prospects?

Use to be GM for the Saints. Got them to the playoffs. Before that he was the VP of Football operations with the Seahawks and was responsible for getting Shawn Springs.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NO/5318544

Seems like a guy who knows the NFL and a good talent evaluator.

I hate to break it to you Wilber Marshall but you sir are mistaken. Rod Gardner was a Marty Schottenheimer pick. As for the rest of it, no comment. :)

Seriously, if Coach Gibbs is so enamored with working only with those he's had past ties with why would he have brought in G. Williams? Also, if that is in fact the case and he does usher in Casserly 2.0 we are toast. I mean rock freakin' bottom.

Finally, I've harped on this more times than I care to remember since it's my all time Casserly :doh::doh::doh: moment, however I just can't resist pointing it out again. Dude trades away a chance at Daunte Culpepper for (Da-rum rollll puuleeeeze!!!) Brad "Limp Arm" Johnson. :doh::doh:

I can still hear him saying now "In the NFL you don't punt on the QB position" Did I say :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:?

Of course in the process he threw away a number of picks in a deep draft that saw us pass on a LOT of starters that were picked up in the mid-late rounds. An example you ask? Well, we drafted N. Stimson four picks prior to Da Bearsss taking Rosevelt Colvin. :doh:

If we're going to make a bunch of draft and F.A. mistakes in putting our teams together we might as well just keep Vinny. At least he keeps Snyder occupied with raquetball and away from the team.

Finally, I've harped on this more times than I care to remember since it's my all time Casserly :doh::doh::doh: moment, however I just can't resist pointing it out again. Dude trades away a chance at Daunte Culpepper for (Da-rum rollll puuleeeeze!!!) Brad "Limp Arm" Johnson. :doh::doh:

That's an interesting viewpoint. If that's your "all time Casserly moment", it reflects pretty well on him...considering that Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl a few years after leaving Washington, and Daunte Culpepper never has and almost certainly never will.

I can still hear him saying now "In the NFL you don't punt on the QB position" Did I say :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:?

Yeah you did...and you look smarter every time.

Of course in the process he threw away a number of picks in a deep draft that saw us pass on a LOT of starters that were picked up in the mid-late rounds. An example you ask? Well, we drafted N. Stimson four picks prior to Da Bearsss taking Rosevelt Colvin. :doh:

If we're going to make a bunch of draft and F.A. mistakes in putting our teams together we might as well just keep Vinny. At least he keeps Snyder occupied with raquetball and away from the team.

If you look back at Casserly's drafts during the period when Norv was the coach, you will see most of the starters on those teams. Casserly built through the draft, in stark contrast to what has happened since. Was it Casserly's fault or Norv's that the team couldn't get over the hump? Norv's post-Redskins record doesn't argue very well in his favor.

The reason why people were irritated with Casserly, and the reason why Snyder probably chose to fire him instead of Turner, is that he was perceived as being too conservative. When the Cowboys and 49ers were going crazy in free agency and winning with it, where were our big signings? How come we never got the big name players? Why were we stockpiling draft picks and trying to build from within like some kind of old school dinosaurs? Snyder fixed that immediately. Deion, Bruce Smith, Jeff George...the rest is history.

Let me give you a run down of Mr. Casserly draft picks in Washington... (incase AJ Skins is new to the DC area... or part of the Johnny-Just-Come-Lately-Bash-Snyder-for-Everything-Wrong- with-Skins Fan club) Bobby Wilson, Heath Shuler, Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Tom Carter, Andre Johnson, Steven Alexander, Rod Gardener... etc! (less than 8 percent success rate in the FIRST ROUND)!

Rod Gardner was drafted 3 years after Casserly left. Heath Shuler and Michael Westbrook were Norv's picks. Desmond Howard was Joe Gibbs's pick. Stephen Alexander was a decent player. I'll give you Bobby Wilson and Andre Johnson. Look deeper in those drafts though, and you'll see a lot of decent players who ended up starting for us-- Stephen Davis, Derek Smith, Shawn Barber, there are quite a few...

What about the myriad of free agent busts (please don’t get me started on those) he brought to DC and the millions of dollars in salaries that were wasted by this supposedly GM genius?

Like who? Terry Allen? Great player for us. Brad Johnson? See the above post. Casserly didn't sign a lot of free agents.

Above all, the one reason Casserly should NEVER be allowed back into the SKINS is that he was directly responsible for hoisting Norv Turner on us. He did not fire a guy who for SEVEN years did not have a winning record against ANY NFC East team which included the Bidwell Cardinals.

Norv was not Casserly's call. That was in the hands of the Cookes. JKC picked Norv because somehow he thought he was the next Joe Gibbs. He was wrong.

Make us the Cardinals of the east? Sorry, he already did that before he left…

We went to the playoffs the year before he was fired.

This board is really getting tiresome.

there is probably nobody else Gibbs would actually consider bringing in.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8

entered the NFL in 1989, hired by former Bears defensive back Richie Petitbon as a member of Joe Gibbs’ coaching staff at Washington where he stayed until 1993 after winning an NFL championship with the Redskins’ Super Bowl XXVI victory over Buffalo. The Bowie, Md., native then served on the Bengals coaching staff for three seasons before joining the Eagles as a scout.

He might let this guy in: Bobby DePaul.

I would beg to differ AJ. See, one has to take into account the strengths/weaknesses of the player you're bringing in. Johnson would have worked on a WCO team which one can clearly see by virtue of the fact that he did so well with Chucky in TB. However, for Norv's system which stressed running the ball and play action deep passing he just wasn't a very good fit. Especially when one considers that he had a long injury history with the Vikes. Likewise, it is why Brunell was/is such a poor fit for our offense...but that's another tiresome thing.

As for the picks not being his responsibility, tension with the HC is part of the job description. If he felt all those guys were going to be busts, he should have manned up and said so (assuming he didn't which we don't really know...fair is fair).

In any event, as GM Casserly was in part responsible for hiring Norv in the first place. In short, Casserly--->Norv....game, set and match.

Oh, and just for you :doh::doh:

Archived