Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why havent the Redskins worked on Campbell's Mechanics?

AsiaticSkinsFan

Consider that now JC has a chance to develope chemistry with the guys.... Hang in he will be fine... Today coming back in the second half was a very good sign....

We gonna be fine.. Wait till JC gets the timing down with the recievers.. The guys has a huge arm...

Once they get the timing down... ITS GONA BE BOMBS AWAY....

Imagine Santana just going full speed off the line and JC drills a bomb Santana will be back next year... its just timing now

Guest Knightwchmn

I agree... Overall, I am very pleased with Jason's poise, strength, and size... (these things come natural and can never be "taught") Luckily, where he is struggling are things that can be easily corrected with proper coaching.

First is his speed... not in his legs, but his delivery of the ball - he drops back and looks like slow motion with long, laborious arm-****s and follow-throughs

Second, he needs to add some "zip" on some of those shorter passes to stick them in there - he's certainly strong enough

...but I do love his accuracy - I think he's got it there.

The development process goes on - don't give up on him, Baby!!

One thing I've noticed is that losing really starts making people complain A LOT.
I see it more as a pretty good observation rather than a complaint.

The coaches might have been working on Campbell's mechanics the whole time that he has been here. But now he has been trown into the fire (sort of speak) and he may just have to adjust and get use to throwing a different way. :2cents:

His delivery is causing a lot of his passes to be batted down, or missing recievers... Im not saying its easy to do, but his throwing motion is the exact same as it was in college... you would think the Redskins would have worked on this the past year and a half :doh:

There are some concerns but our #1 priority should be our defense, all aspects of it need overhauling.

Bubba is exactly right in saying that Campbell's release is not the issue. The problem is that he has a tendency--as most young quarterbacks do--to stare down his receiver. When throwing across the middle of the field, that will lead to a lot of batted passes by the front seven.

I don't think the coaching staff ever really spent the time to develop Jason prior to this season. Seriously, prior to the season opener, the only coach you ever heard about spending time with Jason was Bill Lazor. Our entire organization has just been way too wrapped around winning now. We should be thankful that Jason is starting now, or else he'd never get the attention he needs to develop.

His delivery is causing a lot of his passes to be batted down, or missing recievers... Im not saying its easy to do, but his throwing motion is the exact same as it was in college... you would think the Redskins would have worked on this the past year and a half :doh:

The conventional wisdom is that you don't mess with a young QBs motion because you might ruin him. But I agree with you...that windup delivery will cause problems and limit his potential. Stay tuned.

From the article in the Post this morning....

Saunders intimated, however, that Campbell will be truly evaluated in the offseason. Campbell is so good, Saunders said, that he has been able to rely on his ability instead of his technique. But reaching the next level, Saunders said, will require sharper technique on Campbell's part. Saunders wants Campbell to see the game faster, to read defenses and release the ball faster. He said he wants Campbell to shorten his delivery, tighten his mechanics and see the game as a sharp NFL quarterback.

"Jason has to live at this facility in the offseason," Saunders said.

Saunders intimated, however, that Campbell will be truly evaluated in the offseason. Campbell is so good, Saunders said, that he has been able to rely on his ability instead of his technique. But reaching the next level, Saunders said, will require sharper technique on Campbell's part. Saunders wants Campbell to see the game faster, to read defenses and release the ball faster. He said he wants Campbell to shorten his delivery, tighten his mechanics and see the game as a sharp NFL quarterback.

LOL, saunders must be reading this forum... but he sees what im talking about... this should have been addressed as soon as he came into camp last year... if they were waiting to play him and develp him, then hell develop him

yea....what about Leftwich, his throwing motion was never changed any either....

and his career is over in Jacksonville now *sadly*

He is not mobile, so that is his detriment

there's nothing wrong with his motion, very few QB's have a motion like Marino or Elways

Rivers has that Bernie Kosar side arm motion, and he's doing okay

If Campbell had a faster straight over the top motion, he would have few balls batted down.

In general, you don't do much w/ a QB's motion at this level. If you change the motion, you might find you have a QB that is a lot less accurate.

okay, now for a real reply.

Changing a quarterbacks throwing motion is like telling Tiger Woods he needs to change his swing.

Uhm...Tiger Woods DID change his swing. And although he struggled a little early on, he ended up being even better for it.

But I don't know that his big windup is really the problem. Sure, it may have caused a few, but in general teams getting a good push against our average offensive line, and smart d-linemen focusing more on batting balls in general is the culprit. Anyone have any stats on this? Is he getting more passes blocked per attempt than other qb's around the league? Doesn't really seem that way to me...

:logo:

So... Saunders sees a problem with Jason's delivery that needs attention. Now, back to the original poster's question. Why are we just now addressing the problem?

Oh, never mind.

Archived