Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why havent the Redskins worked on Campbell's Mechanics?

AsiaticSkinsFan

his throwing motion is an issue... if you want to see him develop into a great QB, he needs to fix that...

If his throwing motion is that big of a problem why do QB's like Rivers not have a problem. These guys have been throwing in this manner for years and have been successful. It takes protection and finding the proper throwing lanes.

okay, now for a real reply.

Changing a quarterbacks throwing motion is like telling Tiger Woods he needs to change his swing.

It can be done but as a golfer I know you take a step back before you take two steps forward. Realistically right now timing and management is all that really should be focused on campbell. You can't change something as serious as that 3/4th through the season. Maybe it'd be a good idea in the offseason to tweak it or go through a more significant change but as far as right now, no coach should touch his throwing motion until this season is done.

If his throwing motion is that big of a problem why do QB's like Rivers not have a problem. These guys have been throwing in this manner for years and have been successful. It takes protection and finding the proper throwing lanes.

i think the problems with side arm deliveries are overrated if the QB has a quick release like Rivers does... like Bernie Kosar did... same with David Carr when he has time... Campbell has a very long and slow release...

thats what I was getting at... shoulda been worked on as soon as he came to camp

So what would you rather have:

1. JC comes to camp and works on his mechanics like a madman and thus makes them perfect, however, in all his work with his mechanics he forgot to look at the playbook and has no idea of where to go with the ball on each individual play.

2. Learn the playbook so that if he is thrust into the lineup he has some idea of where to go with the ball even if his mechanics are not ideal.

Great QB's arent born over night...or in 6 weeks...or in ONE season.

JC can only improve...he has a lot of good skills and is very calm which is something you cant teach. Almost TOO calm. LOL.

But anyway, I think this offseason they can fine tune things because right now its strictly x's and o's considering we're so far into the season.

Mechanics take repetions and steady coaching/critiquing.....it will come it just takes time.

WaPo had a great article in it today pointing all this out.

the coaches are not concerned with the mechanics.. they rather see what he can do on the field and see how he handles the team and what should and should not be added to the game plan next year.. now that we are out of the playoff race, i think we will see Campbell throw the football much more than usual..

Um, the coaches are always concerned with mechanics. Not that I agree that he needs a TON of work, he still needs work. And exactly how many passes would you have Campbell throw a game? He averages over 30 attempts per game! The problem is he's averaging only 178 yards per game. That will increase with time hopefully. :logo:

Um, the coaches are always concerned with mechanics. Not that I agree that he needs a TON of work, he still needs work. And exactly how many passes would you have Campbell throw a game? He averages over 30 attempts per game! The problem is he's averaging only 178 yards per game. That will increase with time hopefully. :logo:

i meant in the manner that they know about the problem but wont make drastic changes til the offseason.. they make right now try to speed up his release

So what would you rather have:

1. JC comes to camp and works on his mechanics like a madman and thus makes them perfect, however, in all his work with his mechanics he forgot to look at the playbook and has no idea of where to go with the ball on each individual play.

2. Learn the playbook so that if he is thrust into the lineup he has some idea of where to go with the ball even if his mechanics are not ideal.

right, because he was going to be thrust into action when he was inactive for most of the last 2 years...

Archived