Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why havent the Redskins worked on Campbell's Mechanics?

AsiaticSkinsFan

To respond to the comment about Tiger Woods' swing. He has changed it at least twice to better his mechanics an swing. It took a little while to really play consistently with it but then he eventually played much better with it.

Now to Campbell. The major problem he is having this season is staring down recievers. He is not looking off safeties or dbs and he is giving everyone on the defense a jump on his throws. The fact that his throwing motion is quite long and pretty slow doesn't help his tunnel vision (hate to use that cause its not that severe) when he locks onto a receiver. JC's throwing motion can cue dbs into the type of route that is being run because of the timing of different routes.

They are gonna tweak his motion in the offseason for sure, but for sure it won't be totally different. It will prolly just be a shorter version of his throwing motion at present.

Also the point about addressing his throwing motion earlier. The guy was 3rd string for 1.5 years. And I believe that Gibbs didn't expect him to really play before MAYBE year 3. Thats obvious by the way he hung onto MB and stuck by him so adamantly. No one was really spending all that much time on Campbell because I don't think they projected him to play either this year or next year. I think everybody expected a much different team this year.

For the record' date=' I think a QB can survive with poor mechanics and that sometimes you can do more harm than good in tinkering with it. They did have a season and a half to work on it though.[/quote']

I relate it to an unsound hitting stroke in baseball. A super athlete can get pretty good results with it while he's young and injury-free because he can compensate. But he doesn't play as well with pain and his career is shorter as he ages and loses his coordination (Brady Anderson).

I believe that you can't mess with a Quarterback's mechanics in the regular season. It's more of an offseason thing. If Saunders thinks that Campbell will have to live at the training facility in the offseason, then I think Campbell will do it. All I've seen from this guy is an unbelievable amount of confidence and will to win. He will do anything to get better from what I've seen.

give up on him? im not giving up on him, what im saying he needs to fix that issue in his throwing motion

wow @ BMitch... he said the Redskins will get rid of portis? he cant be serious

Ok Brian Mitchel is good at kickoff Return not Commentary. Don't worry Joe Gibbs isn't drinking the same Kool Aid as Bmitch is. Portis Goes no were. Sounds like Brian was smoking the same thing Czaban was before he got canned By Comcast.

LOL, saunders must be reading this forum... but he sees what im talking about... this should have been addressed as soon as he came into camp last year... if they were waiting to play him and develp him, then hell develop him

Absolutely not. The #1 thing a rookie QB needs to learn is about the speed of the game and the complexity of the NFL defenses.... not whether he's holding the ball at his ear and flicking it downfield properly.

Also... it's NFL knowledge that you don't completely change a QBs throwing motion.... a motion and muscle memory he's developed and utilized since they were in pop warner football. It's why Rivers still throws sidearmed.... why Marino and Vick "flick it"... and others have their releases.

The job of the coaching staff is to refine the throwing motion without losing the accuracy he has developed with the current motion. Also... they'll teach him to see things sooner and release... instead of having to see a guy get open and then throwing. That's the #1 problem with new NFL QBs... the don't trust that a receiver is open until they see it.... instead of quickly analyzing the defensive alignment and BELIEVING a receiver will be open at a given spot and throwing the ball before the receiver breaks to the spot.

His delivery is causing a lot of his passes to be batted down, or missing recievers... Im not saying its easy to do, but his throwing motion is the exact same as it was in college... you would think the Redskins would have worked on this the past year and a half :doh:

Who says that they haven't been working on it??? Maybe this is an improvement for him, or maybe he is not improving. Remember Gibbs saying many times that JC wasn't ready???????

The job of the coaching staff is to refine the throwing motion without losing the accuracy he has developed with the current motion. Also... they'll teach him to see things sooner and release... instead of having to see a guy get open and then throwing. That's the #1 problem with new NFL QBs... the don't trust that a receiver is open until they see it.... instead of quickly analyzing the defensive alignment and BELIEVING a receiver will be open at a given spot and throwing the ball before the receiver breaks to the spot.

AMEN to that I have been saying this for weeks, hopefully with an entire off-season under his belt as the starter, JC, will start making all the timing throws this offense demands...

As Sid Gillman used to say about this offense "If you see the receiver open its already too late"

His delivery is causing a lot of his passes to be batted down, or missing recievers... Im not saying its easy to do, but his throwing motion is the exact same as it was in college... you would think the Redskins would have worked on this the past year and a half :doh:

why don't you give him a chance to learn dummy. You can only learn so much during practice, it takes actual gametime to learn those types of things and he really hasn't played that many. The genius minds of some people.....for the love of God think before you post.:doh:

I agree that messing with a QBs natural motion (since Pop Warner days) can kill a QB. I just hope that only minor adjustments are necessary like his footwork rather than his throwing motion. Maybe getting set up faster in his backpedal will lead to better timing/release...whatever they do lets hope it works to JCs benefit we just have to wait and see.

Its a real issue. His throwing motion is something that cant be corrected. He is too old to change the way he has been throwing. Asking a man to change how hes been throwing his whole life is nearly impossible. I think he will be an average nfl qb.

why don't you give him a chance to learn dummy. You can only learn so much during practice, it takes actual gametime to learn those types of things and he really hasn't played that many. The genius minds of some people.....for the love of God think before you post.:doh:

what is sad is that you ignored the post and went into attack mode... its pretty pathetic, but if that makes u go in life, good for you... maybe you should read before you post

I agree that messing with a QBs natural motion (since Pop Warner days) can kill a QB. I just hope that only minor adjustments are necessary like his footwork rather than his throwing motion. Maybe getting set up faster in his backpedal will lead to better timing/release...whatever they do lets hope it works to JCs benefit we just have to wait and see.

thats what I was getting at... shoulda been worked on as soon as he came to camp

thats what I was getting at... shoulda been worked on as soon as he came to camp

Prolly wasn't in the top ten priorities during the 04 or 05 or 06 camp (which ever one). Gibbs knew he had Ramsey and Brunell "battling" for the starter spot in 04 and 05 and he prolly though one of them was gonna be the QB for 2 to 3 years to come. In 06 We all knew Gibbs did not expect brunell to be benched either this year and even prolly next year. Therefore it had not gotten a lot of attention.

Anyways Campbell is doing ok during the games with his passing. You absolutely cannot change a throwing motion over the season. He has to have more than one week to get all the kinks out of it to make it a workable motion. I suspect Campbell will spend all of 5 to 6 months working on that motion with lazor and suanders. He needs to realy have it down by minicamp.

The preseason games will tell how far he has progressed in his motion change and overall mechanics.

the coaches are not concerned with the mechanics.. they rather see what he can do on the field and see how he handles the team and what should and should not be added to the game plan next year.. now that we are out of the playoff race, i think we will see Campbell throw the football much more than usual..

Archived