Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis placed on IR UNCONFIRMED & Merged

KingGibbs

I guarantee this is a stratagy to clear out some dead cap space (Archuleta?) And CP would have to have agreed, I doubt the team would do it to him without his approval.

CP isn't stupid, he knows that the portion of his cap # they will save will allow them to cut players without a hit to the 2007 cap (either before or after the season.)

I don't think the Redskins are going to give up now, until they are completely out of playoff contention. Not getting another RB would be a sign of giving up. There are 7 more weeks to go and obviously the doctor gave a thumbs down for Portis to returning sooner.

I'm glad they are not giving up. They are now short at RB. They need to bring in someone else to potentially use. Obviously we have needs at other positions but we need to find the best RB available. Maybe someone to evaluate for next year at least.

This type of injury to Portis is why they brought in Dockett (front office doesn't look as foolish now). Maybe we can still have some fun and excitment after all, even if things still look bad for the (P word).:)

I guarantee this is a stratagy to clear out some dead cap space (Archuleta?) And CP would have to have agreed, I doubt the team would do it to him without his approval.

Huh? As far as I know, being on IR doesn't get you off the cap.

Anyways, if that was true, I'd use that money on a new deal for Dockery.

Jason

Huh? As far as I know, being on IR doesn't get you off the cap.

Anyways, if that was true, I'd use that money on a new deal for Dockery.

Jason

Doesn't it?. Their salary is off the cap, but the bonus isn't, or vice versa - I'm not sure.

Oh well, whatever. If I'm wrong shoot me. Well... wait let me see Jason Campbell play once.

So far I have seen nothing in the news about IR, there is nothing on Redskins.com so I suspect we will have to wait and see if a formal statement is made. I also have not seen Andyman with the straight scoop either.

Oh you didn't know? Andyman is my wife's, sister's, husband's, brother's, father in-law's, business partner's cousin.

Doesn't it?. Their salary is off the cap, but the bonus isn't, or vice versa - I'm not sure.

From this site:

9. Do all players on a teams roster count against the salary cap?

Between the start of a league year (around March 1) and opening day only the 51 highest paid players count against the Salary Cap, even though the team could have up to 80 players on the roster at times. Prorated bonus amounts from players not on the top 51 salaries and any dead cap money also counts during this period. This is called the “Rule of 51”. From opening day until the end of the season all players on the roster (including injured reserve) count against the cap.

Also found this article which talks about Chad Pennington when he got hurt, and says that his salary counted for the cap.

Jason

Is it better to play the last 7 games without a full roster? Whoever they get helps them to run their practices or maybe play better on a special team if Porter is really out. Maybe someone from the practice squad who needs a look. If you want them to replace other position player just release them and add someone who is available who you think is better. But at least have a full roster.

talk about throwing in the season. this means even with a miracle 7-0 finish portis wouldnt be able to play in the playoffs. WTF!

Everyone knows there will be no miracle 7-0 finish or even a 6-1 finish. It will take at least 9-7 to make the playoffs. This really is the best move for CP. He has been hurt all year. Why rush him back for a season already over?? Let him heal for next year!

Archived