Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell May Just Be Start of Changes

bulldog

I'm not trying to step on anybody's toes here, but this thread is kinda silly. Move Rogers to SS, Archuletta to LB, Taylor to SS? Trade Portis?...come on guys, you're getting way ahead of yourselves.

We've got to take the rest of the season and figure out what we've got. What this team does this offseason is all based on Jason Campbell.

Assuming that Campbell isn't a total bust, and I think that's a fair assumption based on Gibbs' record picking QBs, I really don't think this team is as bad off as so many seem to think. I think a lot of you underestimate how much of a negative effect Brunell's poor play has had on the entire team. Opposing defenses shut us down stacking the line and playing cover 2 b/c they knew Brunell couldn't beat them deep. Players start losing confidence and make mental mistakes and press to much. Sean Taylor is one of the best coverage safeties in the league, and handled Randy Moss and TO in his rookie year. Taylor is pressing, jumping routes and getting burned on double moves b/c he's trying to win games on his own.

I don't think the Skins will make a lot of changes this offseason. We need to add some youth on both lines(future starters), upgrade at the 3rd corner, and we probably need a kicker. I don't see to many starter changes on either line, although I'd like to see the team add a stud center and make Rabach their backup C/G.

Let's not blow up the team yet guys. If Campbell is the real deal things could turn around in a hurry.

Personally, I'd wait until the end of the season to determine who can play and who can't.

I think we are mostly set on the offensive side of the ball right now. Get Dockery resigned and try to find a young blocking TE.

Defense is going to be interesting. It may be time to find a replacement at MLB and set up Marshall as a backup OLB.

Using our high pick, I'd like to see a CB or a DE. If we like any other players use a pick in the 08 draft to get another pick to get the player.

On the surface, that's where I see our needs for next offseason.

Jason

I agree with you here, except thye DE part - we should try to get an additional high pick - low first or second and take a CB and OL with our top two picks.

I thought the same thing about Marshall. - At the draft, it was said that McIntosh can play all 3 LB positions. Maybe we should groom him to be our MLB and not have to worry about that position for a while.

I've also wondered about moving Archuletta to outside LB. - He's 223lbs and has LB-like instincts. - The Colts use small LB's and it works pretty well for them - Cato June is 228 and Gilbert Gardner 227.

Then we'd be back to looking for a SS, which between Priealou and Doughty, we may already be set.

CB's this offseason are gonna be tough. Clements, granted he's not franchised again, and Asante Samuel are gonna be getting huge offers. Not gonna be easy to land one of them.

If we let Dock walk, I'd like us to take a look at Steinbach from the Bengals. I think a smaller more athletic guard would work well with our running game. The Bengals don't use him right anyway, they don't stretch the field on running plays and they pass too often.

We need a top flight pass rusher on the d-line. Period, end. Also, I think the team will get rid of Brunell in the off-season to free up some cap room. I don't see how we can rid ourselves of Archuleta, but that contract is signed by the devil himself and may curse the Redskins for many years.

Trade down for 2 picks in 2nd Rnd......plenty of Gauds there... But will they have time to get to playing speed by season start?

Corner is a bigger need.... Springs could end up nickle or FS to finish his contract....

Draft a technically sound corner with good speed.....

everything else was spot on.......

So, Clinton Portis is now a bum?

Jason

Right, that was the whole point of my post, that Portis is a bum. :doh: Portis is a nice player. A lot of teams would love to have him.

I brought up LT as an EXAMPLE because he's a DEVASTATING player. He's scored what, 15 TDs in the last five games? He just did something that Jim Brown never did. We have a lot of very good players on our team, Portis being one of them. The type of player I was referring to in my post is the elite player (LT, Peyton Manning, etc.).

I wasn't even suggesting we need a new running back...I was speaking in general terms about elite players, and our player acquisition philosophy. Thanks for missing my entire point.

We just need to start keeping the guys that bring up in our system that are affordable when compared to the guys who replace them.

-Clark

-Pierce

-McCants

-And on and on...

Exactly the thought I had.

And I would honestly like to try and trade to get Ryan Clark back in the offseason. He brought a chemistry to this team that you just can't put a price on. He lifted the spirits of the team and made clutch plays when we needed them the most. He had a great locker room presence. Not to mention he was more economical than his replacement, as well as a better football player. But again, you really can't put a price on the the other things he brings to the table.

I still haven't figured out why they cut McCants. He was a nice goal line threat for us as a big possesion reciever. Isn't he sort of in the Art Monk physical mold?

We need to just try and keep the guys together so they can grow as a team. Every year we continue to overhall our whole lineup, and it does nothing for us but hurt our salary cap numbers, while contributing to a losing season because the players don't know each other well enough and don't have that on the field chemistry.

Take a look at the most winningest franchses of this decade and it's plain to see it's the team that has the mindset of a team game. The Patriots came out in their first superbowl as a team, refusing to be announced individually. They don't take individual pride, but pride as one team: One unit. Every one on that team has a role. And they got each others backs.

That's what we need if we have a chance to win a Superbowl. We need our guys to stick together and develope that chemistry.

And we need to do better in the draft and bring up our own guys to have that Redskins pride to boost that chemistry within the team. Not to mention making it easier on us for our future to build a dynasty and have room in the Salary cap to get what we need if we really need it.

The bottom line though, is we need to be alot smarter about evaluating players and negotiating contracts. I'm not too thrilled with how we've been throwing our draft picks away to other teams and over paying for mediocre players.... most of whom have been over the hill and on their way out of the league.

I like Lloyd and I like Randel El. They just need a QB to throw them the ball! That's where Campbell comes in. I hope he is worth every thing they gave up to get him. I wish for the most success we've ever had in a QB.

Cuz everyone knows it's been too lond since we've had a QB we could call our own and rely on for many years and years to come. Every since our Joey T left us, it's been a good year here and then a lot of bad years there when it comes to Quarterbacks. I don't even want to mention the dreaded busts we've had a QB. Those days are long gone.

This is a whole new era. And the NFL is a whole new league. So now more than ever is when the draft is most important. Look at Marcus Colston of the Saints. A 7th round pick playing like Jerry Rice. By the way, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, and Joe Montana was too I think.

What is the salary cap numbers for next year any way? Didn't we save some by letting Lavar and Ramsey leave?

In regard to Arch, I believe his actual SB is 5 mil and the other 5 mil of bonus money is a roster bonus. Thus, if we cut him, the cap hit would be a bit over 4 mil, which I think is bearable once we let guys like Patten, Wynn, Daniels, and others go.

Daniels is our best Defensive End and really our only threat to rush the QB. How would we replace him? He has helped our defense in that erea.

Other than that, I'm with you. We need to get rid of Archuletta. He's not worth the cash and theres a reason why the Rams defense was the worst in the league last year. He played his role with their lack of success. He sure didn't help them. And he's sure not helping us one iota.

Trade him or cut him.

I just want Ryan Clark back.

Well, the number of injuries and kinds of injuries have led to our score, not a wholesale fall off of talent.

Our O line has played well enough. Portis chose to play while injured and that's probably a big reason his numbers are down...I'll address qb below.

I agree with defensive line changes. If you get pressure from your four down guys, you can have average dbs and win (e.g., Philly).

And the qb experiment is about to begin. I never had the feeling we could come from behind with MB (though last year's Dallas game proved me wrong.) And his turnover problem subsided this year...but I'm okay with the move...just expecting some significant fan-pain in the next six weeks. :(

Exactly the thought I had.

And I would honestly like to try and trade to get Ryan Clark back in the offseason. He brought a chemistry to this team that you just can't put a price on. He lifted the spirits of the team and made clutch plays when we needed them the most. He had a great locker room presence. Not to mention he was more economical than his replacement, as well as a better football player. But again, you really can't put a price on the the other things he brings to the table.

I still haven't figured out why they cut McCants. He was a nice goal line threat for us as a big possesion reciever. Isn't he sort of in the Art Monk physical mold?

We need to just try and keep the guys together so they can grow as a team. Every year we continue to overhall our whole lineup, and it does nothing for us but hurt our salary cap numbers, while contributing to a losing season because the players don't know each other well enough and don't have that on the field chemistry.

Take a look at the most winningest franchses of this decade and it's plain to see it's the team that has the mindset of a team game. The Patriots came out in their first superbowl as a team, refusing to be announced individually. They don't take individual pride, but pride as one team: One unit. Every one on that team has a role. And they got each others backs.

That's what we need if we have a chance to win a Superbowl. We need our guys to stick together and develope that chemistry.

And we need to do better in the draft and bring up our own guys to have that Redskins pride to boost that chemistry within the team. Not to mention making it easier on us for our future to build a dynasty and have room in the Salary cap to get what we need if we really need it.

The bottom line though, is we need to be alot smarter about evaluating players and negotiating contracts. I'm not too thrilled with how we've been throwing our draft picks away to other teams and over paying for mediocre players.... most of whom have been over the hill and on their way out of the league.

Ryan Clark CHOSE to leave when he found out a strong safety was being brought in play strong safety. - The team wanted to re-sign him and keep him in the mix- he elected to shop around.

Pierce wanted more money than Marcus Washington and ultimately left for a few hundred thousand more on his contract. - How's that for being loyal to the team that gave you your opportunity?

McCants had a questionable work ethic. He made this teams roster when Spurrier was here, and now is out of the league after spending a year as the Eagles designated inactive WR for almost a year.

The Patriots aren't that great of an example of the keeping the team together types. - They have zero loyalty to their players. - Vinaterri - kicks game winners and gets them to 2 of their 3 Superbowls - didn't want to pay him. Troy Brown - played both ways when the team is decimated by injuries, helping them get to the Superbowl that year and got thanked by getting cut that off-season. He came back for a minimum contract. - Deon Branch - Tom Brady's favorite receiver and Superbowl MVP wants to get paid - traded. - Tom Brady said himself in the begining of this season that he was worried about his chemistry with his receivers.

The only "over the hill" player we've signed recently is Brunell, and that one's on Joe Gibbs. - As mentioned in other posts, we only need a few changes in personel and Campbell to show the world why we drafted him.

We need help at either corner or D'Line with our first pick.

Other than that keep everything you have crossed because the immediate future of this franchise - like the next two years realistically - are in the hands of Jason Campbell. If he can use the rest of this season to knock the rough edges of and develop into a good starting QB we have all the other pieces in place to be a damn good offensive team and will be in the mix for the division and playoffs for a good few years given the defense recovers from what I hope is just an off year.

If he can not become the QB we need then it does not really matter who we draft in the next year because we will be in a world of troube. we don't have the cap position or the draft picks to be bringing in other QB's.

We go as far as Campbells arm will take us.

In regard to Arch, I believe his actual SB is 5 mil and the other 5 mil of bonus money is a roster bonus. Thus, if we cut him, the cap hit would be a bit over 4 mil, which I think is bearable once we let guys like Patten, Wynn, Daniels, and others go.

If we let Wynn go, I'd still want Daniels. He's still a good run stopper and can get to the QB on occasion.

The time to have kept Clark on our roster was last offseason. Now, he's just another expensive acquisition that we'd get criticized for. Clark is no Pro Bowler. He's a competent player with average athletic skills. His greatest assets may have been his knowledge of the defense and leadership within it, and his unique relationship with Sean Taylor.

All of those things are nice, but remember that he was cut from the Giants roster before we acquired him - there's a fair argument to be made that the Steelers overpaid to get him. I think we're romanticizing Clark more because of how bad Archuleta has worked out than because of how great Clark was.

I don't see why we can't get another younger guy like Ryan Clark circa 2004 and develop him.

I want Synder away from redskins park...let him sign checks and nothing else. [/Quote]

Because that's not what he's doing now?

I brought up LT as an EXAMPLE because he's a DEVASTATING player. He's scored what, 15 TDs in the last five games? He just did something that Jim Brown never did.

Ok...so you are saying that once in a generation players like Manning and LT are available in every draft and the reason we don't have them on our roster is because we just choose to overlook them? Come on you're smarter than this. You are singling out two of the best players in LT and Manning when all is said and done that can be perhaps the best ever to play their respective positions. Players don't come around like that every year. If devastating players were avalible in every draft every team would have them.

Here is what I would do if I were the Skins: I would hire a GM. I would let Betts, Salavaa, Wynn, Holdman, Archuletta, Rabach and Cooley go. I would play McIntosh and convert STaylor to a combo SS/LB and resign Dockery. I would acquire via free agnecy: a QBKilla DL Pass rusher, a center, a free safety and a TE. I would use ACarter as a third down rush lineman only. I would draft CBs and OLs. I would fire Gibbs and Saunders and hire Jeff Fisher and his guys. I would change the uniforms and the logo to present a more modern, fiercer (and plolitically correct) look. I would build a retractable domed stadium.

Right, that was the whole point of my post, that Portis is a bum. :doh: Portis is a nice player. A lot of teams would love to have him.

When healthy, Portis is about as much of an elite player as LT. It also helps that LT has a better passing game to take pressure off of him, and that he had big games against some crappy defenses. (St. Louis and Cleveland are hardly the Giants and the Eagles.)

You seem to suggest that there is little dropoff when you put Betts in. We all know that isn't true.

So, I guess Santana Moss isn't an elite player either? What about the Jags game? he pretty much took over that game.

I wasn't even suggesting we need a new running back...I was speaking in general terms about elite players, and our player acquisition philosophy. Thanks for missing my entire point.

You seem to imply that the only way to get elite players is to draft them high. Well, Portis was a 2nd round pick originally. Santana was a mid 1st round pick.

Jason

I would move ST to middle linebacker (see b.urlacher). A beast at MB with coverage skills, and great run stopping ability. Move l.marshall back to weakside or play rocky. Hope springs stays healthy next year and add a top cb and move c.rogers to nickel. This would leave holes at safety, but move rumph to one slot and draft another. Draft Dline.

Our O is set. Boonell is the only problem. You see all the time an O slump, insert a qb and all changes. I dont hear about the porous Oline of Dallas anymore, wonder why that is? We have so many weapons on O, it really is a crime we dont put up 24 or more a game. We have no signature plays, which is directly related to the qb. How many times do you watch a team and go, their fixin to go deep here. Now how many games did we say that?

Griffin, while still effective is not the CGriff of 2004 anymore. As you said, we need to draft a stud lineman, we need a stud at DT

Agree completely. I'd be all for drafting the best available d-lineman and use the middle rounds to get some new blood along the trenches, we need quality back-ups who can start when needed. I have almost no faith in the scrubs we have back there now.

I'm hoping that Molinaro proves me wrong one day.

Great post. I feel if we get rid of Archuleta somehow, then we can use Pierson out there in more coverage situations. Our DB philosophy needs to change a little. I thought we brought in Gray to help out, and thought it would make a huge impact, but it hasn't turned out as great as we would have hoped...

Archived