Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell May Just Be Start of Changes

bulldog

The cap numbers for 2007 and 2008 don't look very good for the Redskins, there seems to be little flexibility to add significant top tier talent except through the draft.

This club is going to have to become better at drafting players and finding undrafted rookies that can come in and earn backup jobs and contribute, much as the team did in the 1980's.

Campbell to me is just the tip of the iceberg. McIntosh should be on the field as well given the lack of playmaking from the LB position and the ages of the respective starters: Holdman is 31, Marshall is 30 and Washington is 29.

On the defensive line Griffin is still effective when healthy. Golston has stepped up to contribute and the team needs to give Demetric Evans more reps. Otherwise, the DL can do with a makeover. Daniels and Wynn are on the downside, Salavea is as well I think because of injuries, and Andre Carter is a project the team somehow managed to spend $30 million on.

In the secondary the team should look at moving Sean Taylor to strong safety where his 230 frame can be used to impact play near the LOS. Archuleta needs to go. We don't need a 210 pound guy trying to play linebacker in the NFL. This is a hybrid experiment that is going nowhere.

I would like to see the team pair Taylor with a free safety who is solid in coverage down the field.

Springs like Griffin is still effective. Rogers at 24 is a player we can't give up on. The staff needs to find a way to rebuild his confidence and get him back on track. The backups corners, Rumph and Wright are not NFL quality players and need to be replaced in the offseason.

Novak makes 50% of his field goals in an era where guys like Vinatieri and Stover make 80-85% of their chances. We need to find a better, more finished product here.

On offense, the critical area is the offensive line. This club has runners, receivers and a young quarterback to build around. The question is how many of the current members of the OL deserve to be back here.

Dockery is a free agent and I would let him move on. Veteran guards become available in the offseason secondary free agent market and I would imagine a number of players could come in and give us a lift at RG. Dockery in pass protection is a clear liability.

Rabach is an average center. We could use better size inside here. The Dallas, NY and Philly players got the better of our interior trio this year. Randy Thomas is a good player even if he has slowed a bit at 31 and continues to play through some nagging injuries.

Not much you can do at tackle. Jansen and Samuels are making a fortune and any moves there would swamp the cap. The team has to pray that neither player gets injured and that they both play at least another 2-3 years.

We need to bring in some younger guys to groom on the OL much as we did with Golston and Montgomery in 2006. Hopefully, the team will pass on a skill selection in the draft and take a big ugly with the top pick.

This team needs some studs on the lines. This is where the team has really fallen off.

Altogether, I see a more rational and cautious approach to building a team in the future. The failures of the 2006 free agent class to contribute here are definitely a cautionary flag for any organization.

Missing on one free agent signing can have serious consequences. It is quite possible the Redskins missed on all of theirs, save Randle El. Remember that Brandon Lloyd was a trade.

I wouldn't trade down. I would take the best lineman available.

If anything I would trade a 2008 pick to pick up extra picks in 2007 if the draft class turns out to be a deep one.

First sentence I didn't agree with, but you pulled me in with the second. I agree that we should go for more picks in '07

people will think im crazy for saying this but i think we should really see what duckett can do. i think portis is a very old 24 year old and think he is always nicked up. so my plan would be to trade him to recover the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for the 2007 draft and start building this team the right way. draft picks are cheap labor. i spoke about building through the draft with coach williams last week when i met him. we spoke for a long time and he was completely honest and open about alot of topics. he said how he likes to draft defensive players so he can teach them and mold them into the type of player he wants. i would love for him to be our head coach. anyway my point being although i love clinton as a running back i dont think he will ever be a season long healthy rb. he still has alot of value and with those picks we can start building through the draft.

I wouldn't be so certain that we have anything to build around. I agree with almost all of your points, but JCambo has to show that he can play. We have the rest of the season for that now. I am not suggesting that we plan on addressing the QB situation, but if we see some Heath-ish play, my gawd, brace yourself. What's more depressing is we cannot possibly draft a good QB to compte next year as there are too many holes.

I would listen to offers for Jansen or Samuels. I still think both of those guys can play well in this league, but we need as many picks as we can get this year. We are HORRIBLY thin all over the field. Looks like getting anything in return for Betts or Duckett is off the table. I woulnd't be suprised to see both move on and do well wherever they land.

We have a mis-used pro-bowl RB, TE/HB and track team WR's. Let's hope that JC can move in the pocket and use his arm strength. If that is the type of QB he becomes and is able to excel in that role that will be a huge relief. It will make up for the lack of depth on OL and RB that we will likely have next year.

So it gets back to the age old Extremeskin tradition of b*tching at the front office to draft DL.

It's an endless pursuit. It's like the little dutch boy, trying to stop the water from flowing... plug one hole, another opens up.

The answer is to find a franchise QB. That is how you win football games in the modern era. Let's hope Campbell is the guy.

people will think im crazy for saying this but i think we should really see what duckett can do. i think portis is a very old 24 year old and think he is always nicked up. so my plan would be to trade him to recover the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for the 2007 draft and start building this team the right way. draft picks are cheap labor. i spoke about building through the draft with coach williams last week when i met him. we spoke for a long time and he was completely honest and open about alot of topics. he said how he likes to draft defensive players so he can teach them and mold them into the type of player he wants. i would love for him to be our head coach. anyway my point being although i love clinton as a running back i dont think he will ever be a season long healthy rb. he still has alot of value and with those picks we can start building through the draft.

I won't burn you on this post because it's not so crazy given the situation we are in, but Portis is a great RB. Definitely someone to build around. Furthermore it is obvious he IS the soul of this team, if there is one. When Portis is given the load, he delivers and we win. It is clear to see how some of the players responded to Lavar being released so I would not like to see us entertain any offers on that front.

That being said, I would much rather take another huge cap hit for one of our grossly overpaid tackles then hope to get a 2, 3rd and a 4th, which I do not see anyone giving up.

Take a look at B-more and what how Ngata shored up that defense. Corey Simon last year in Indy. One solid guy on the DL CAN help out ALOT.

I may be crazy but I feel we need some non-change i.e. consistency.

Lets get rid of (trade) Adam, get another cb/db from the free agency.

Draft linemen, lots of them.

See what Patten can do, let Patten and Thrash (sp?) compete (throw in Brandon L. if he isn't producing-although I like him), get rid of one of these guys for a DB/LB or draft picks.

Find someone to take over M. Brunell contract for another backup qb, who has promise (not Bledsoe!).

Keep everything else on an even keel. Bring back more guys (than less) from this year. Let a core develop, fostering some identity, while we groom new linemen, and surgically insert a few key DBs. Instead of thrashing the whole team through a shredder. This team has promise if it can develop over the offseason into a team, while everyone gets comfortable with the new offense, lets bring back discipline and pride into the defense through an identity of being a Redskin.

We need to cut brunell, hall, and trade down our first rounder. If we can do those things we should have some cap room to maneuver. If cutting archuletta is economically feasible, we might want to do that as well. I'm pretty sure half of his 10 million signing bonus is just a roster bonus, so he isn't entitled to it if he gets cut. That just leaves the remainder of the pro-rated 5 million bonus as dead money. I don't know if we can fit it, but we might want to try. Still, I'd like to see us try to make it worth with Archuletta. It's clear that the problems with the secondary go beyond him. We have enough other holes to fill without worrying about strong safety.

Ha, remove Taylor from coverage? Is that a joke? He is easily one of the best coverage safeties in the league, not even a question. What we need is some stopping power near the line of scrimmage from our weak side linebacker, you know who.

Did you see him get absolutely TORCHED yesterday? That was easily the worst toastage this year, not even a question.

Did you see him get absolutely TORCHED yesterday? That was easily the worst toastage this year, not even a question.

Have you watched any other game in his career? Thank G-d that you're not a coach on our team. You should probably cut every other player that's had a bad game on a piss-poor defense, too. And, to be honest, our defense was not the problem yesterday.

Posts like this really irk me.

Personally, I'd wait until the end of the season to determine who can play and who can't.

I think we are mostly set on the offensive side of the ball right now. Get Dockery resigned and try to find a young blocking TE.

Defense is going to be interesting. It may be time to find a replacement at MLB and set up Marshall as a backup OLB.

Using our high pick, I'd like to see a CB or a DE. If we like any other players use a pick in the 08 draft to get another pick to get the player.

On the surface, that's where I see our needs for next offseason.

Jason

Take that further, trade that 1st round pick we have for a good 2nd and third, or more. I feel like we need to draft a bunch of pretty good players and build. The more the merrier.

Excellent post as always Bulldog. A few things I would do different

On D

I just posted a thread about moving Rogers to SS. Other moves I would make

Give Golston and Montgomery more playing time this year. While they will not be top flight starters they will be excellent depth players for us. Griffin, while still effective is not the CGriff of 2004 anymore. As you said, we need to draft a stud lineman, we need a stud at DT

Linebacker-Insert Rocky, an obvious move

This offseason I am certain the FO will go after Nate Clements to be the new number 1 corner. Hopefully we can recover a pick to get another quality corner

Agree with what you said on O

I really hate that we destroyed our defense from 2004. I know its been talked about and talked about. I hate to beat a dead horse but AP is a true middle linebacker, Lemar is not. AP is not only very football smart, but a leader and has all the necessary physical skills.

Smoot is a solid corner, we should have definetly kept him. I know he isn't the greatest, but he has grit and showed he can play. Rogers has been as hurt as he ever was so we can't really use durability as an excuse for letting Smoot walk.

And of course, letting Clark go was the biggest mistake and signing AA. Even if all that extra money was worth it, it is not logical to spend that much more money on a player, when his predecessor played very solid. DAMN and AA sucks.

I wish our D was Taylor,Clark,Smoot,Springs,Pierce in the middle,Marshall on the right,WAShington on the left, drafted Merriman instead of Rogers, still signed Carter (I know he's not the greatest but coming along, or of course the numerous other options like Darren Howard),Griffin, and Salavea/ Golston and Montgomery coming in for depth.

Of course, all our wishes for the team never happen, but I can imagine right? sigh

Archived