Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need an honest opinion

JesusTheismann

Who are you god and the devil in one? I believe that Charles Manson said that once, and that is what I equate people who do that kind of tactic. It to me is physically impossible to route for two rival teams. It would be like routing for the yankees and red sox. It just couldn't happen. Since I hate both it works out for me, but I would never route for both teams in a rival situation. In a fight, you are on one side or another and if you are defector, well that is usually execution by firing squad.

huge LSU fan here. I cheered for florida in the championship game (good for SEC and LSU) but never, never would I cheer for them against LSU. I would rather KIll my self than cheer for the cowgirls. The biggest fight my wife and I got in was over the cowgirls. You CANNOT be a fan of both teams. NEVER

huge LSU fan here. I cheered for florida in the championship game

That doesn't count. He didn't make that distinction. I pulled for the Giants in Super Bowl XXV. I pulled for them to beat the 49ers in the championship game. That's different. I hated the 49ers more than the Giants so I pulled for our rival. Plus after a while you get to know them and if they're a great team it's not hard to grow an "appreciation". I lived in Dallas during their last dynasty and respected them as a great team but never, and I mean never, did I pull for them to win. I mean I have no problem saying that Jay Novacek is the best tight end I have ever seen. But I'd rather the Giants and Eagles swap Super Bowls for thirty years than see Dallas win one.

There are some things you take to your grave.

I think that its one thing to root for two different teams, but the two teams and their cultures are very very different. Do you really like the culture of both teams so much that you are a fan of them both? To me it sounds like you just rooted for which one was good at the time, and to me that is the definition of a bandwagoner.

I amy be the only one of my kind.

I am not only a Redskins fan, but a Cowboys fan as well. I grew up during the Staubach era. My whole family loves the Cowboys.

But during the 80s, even though the 82 championship was initially painful, I became a fan of Joe Gibbs, Riggins, the smurfs, and of course, Joe Theismann. I even stopped watching the Cowboys during Landry's last few years.

But after Gibbs retired, I became a fan of the 90s Cowboys, Aikman, Smith, Irvin and Haley! What a dominant team.

So far I have been able to be sort of a bandwagoner and get away with it. One was down, the other was up. Now for the first time in my life, it appears that both teams are headed in the same direction as superbowl contenders.

I feel awful because I know how most football fans hate guys like me. I don't mean to offend anybody. How and why I became simultaneous fans of two of the biggest rivals in sports, I will never know.

Anyway, for the record, I would like to see the Skins even the score against the Cowboys this year.

Will I be accepted here or will most of you chastise me for being who I am? Again, I don't mean to offend anybody. This is definitely the most passionate football site I've ever seen. I guess I could and maybe should have kept this to myself, but I didn't want to be accused of being dishonest or being tagged as a troll down the road.

I hope you understand. God bless!

-JT

Definition of bandwagon and fair weather fan... you my friend are NOT a fan of anything... :doh:

You know, to be honest, when I was younger, I was a bandwagoner just like this guy. I thought the Skins, Cowboys, and a bunch of other teams were all great. But one day I just decided to pick a team, and it was the Skins. Not sure why, but I took them, and that was the day I became a man. :cool: THAT, my friend, is what separates a casual football viewer from a true fan of a football team. It really takes guts to give your heart to one franchise each week, and, no matter what happens, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, stick by them.

I have been Skins-only for several seasons now, and it was one of the greatest decisions I ever made. I love this franchise, and its fanbase, no matter what happens each week.

If there's hope for me, perhaps there's also hope for the guy who made this thread. (Then again, I was converted while I was still young ;) )

the thing about me is i hated the cowboys before i became a redskins fan.my father grew up in a household full of cowgirl fans.so he decided to root against them.there was one team in that houshold that everyone really hated,and when they finally got a color tv he dicovered that team was the redskins.so he became a diehard redskins fan.years later when i was around four or five years old i always knew my daddy hated the cowboys,so i naturally did likewise.i rooted for the steelers those years(late 70's)because they beat the cowgirls all the time.when i figured out the redskins was my dad's favorite team and they really hated the cowboys in 1980 i was hooked!:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Believe it or not, there are some positives for being a dual Cowboys-Redskins fan. First, there is always something to feel good about or look forward to. Like next week, we play the Jaguars. if the Skins pull off a win, that will help ease the pain of the embarrasing loss the Cowboys suffered in week one.

Also, rooting for more than one team also helps with keeping a healthy perspective. Most single-team fans spend a great deal of time feeling miserable because having a superbowl caliber team isn't reality most of the time.

But go ahead with the potshots. It's all in good fun anyway. I'm used to my friends and family giving me a hard time about it. I'm ok with it.

Honestly, if I met a guy (such as yourself) that said they liked both teams I would think that they didn't know anything about sports. They would lack credibility to me. And I wouldn't take anything they said about football, seriously. I say this, because several years back I actually worked with a guy that said his two favorite college basketball teams were Duke and Carolina. I kid you not. Great guy. But I just tuned him out if he ever wanted to talk college basketball to me. Or any sports for that matter.

Archived