Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official - I practice a martial art thread.

Sherlock Holmes

I did taekwondo for a little over 10 years. I started when I was like 4 and stopped when I was like 14 or 15. I stopped after I got my 4th degree Black Belt, because I didn't have the time because of school, and because getting to the next degree was going to be really hard.

• 6 months later...

There are two "martial" arts that I practice, though they're not of the same type that most here have been discussing.

The first is: Defensive Pistol. I have taken several courses on Defensive Pistol tactics and techniques over the last seven years. I train and practice at least three to four times a month, shooting a minimum of 150 rounds a month, generally more. I also do a lot of reading, research, and discussion on the topic.

The second is a Western Martial Art (as compared to the Eastern ones most here have been discussing) that attempts to recreate (in a safer manner) the combat tactics and techniques of Medieval Europe. SCA heavy-list combat, including combat archery and siege activities attempts to recreate the feel of what medieval combat would have been like.

Sorry if these aren't "pure" martial arts as some of you might look at them, but I've never actually found an Eastern Martial Art that I felt comfortable with trying.

I'm taking kickboxing (american karate) classes which is a mix of several techniques.

My older son started lessons in the fall as part of his after-school program (part of why we chose this dojo). Once I graduated, I took the boys out of daycare & still wanted him to keep up with the classes since he loved it so much.

I was interested from watching his classes (and I took TKD about 10 years ago & missed it a lot!). So, signed myself & my younger son up for classes too. Hubby then decided he didn't want to be left out, so it's now a family affair! :D

Amy

I was into Shaolin Kung Fu for a few years...Brown Belt...

Then it started to get expensive (kids came along) and started to get to much like a cult for me. I mean I was really into it, but everyone around me had NO life and couldnt understand why I wouldnt spend every waking minute of my life working out or at tournaments....I never felt better in my life while I was doing it tho.:logo:

I have a 1st degree balck belt in Tae Kwon Do and a 1st degree black in Shorin Ryu(Okinawan origin), none of which matters anymore since I haven't been active in 10 years. Sure helped me back during the bar scene days, I must have had a "Please **** with me" sticker on my forehead.

Currently a yellow belt in Ju-jitsu. Been studying for a year now and its the best decision I've ever made.. now if I could only find someone to try to rob me..

Thats the same problem i have...i started Cuong Nhu in september 2000 and got my black belt in may 2004. a week later, i was in vancouver and this dude followed me for like 7 blocks. thats the closest ive gotten to being able to test it out. but it wouldnt have been much of a fight, i dont think. he was like 5'6 maybe 160lbs and im 6'4 210lbs. i think he got tired of me checking over my shoulder all the time, so he held up his hands and took off down an alley. its kind of funny now that i think about it.

shodan or first degree black belt in brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, before moving to gettysburg, PA I studied at Pereira Brizilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy in swif****er, pa. Its been about 6 years since I have studied, but I remember it all pretty well since it took me the better part of 7 years to reach shodan status :]

My son is 6 years old and holds an orange belt in american kenpo!!!

If you count wrestling as a martial art, then i practiced a martial art for about 14 years. I was pretty good. :)

a friend of mine that got his black belt a year before i did had wrestled for several years in high school and he did gymnastics for 12 years prior to wrestling. he was only like 5'6 but he was a beast and could tear anyone up.

I used to wrestle in school and have done some boxing, and I've been involved in western medieval weapons-based martial arts for years. (Which, surprisingly, has many of the same footwork and motion as hand-to-hand martial arts...) I am thinking about taking some muay-thai boxing and some BJJ, if I can find the time. (I'd like to attend the Gracia school that is in NoVa.)

I was taught self-defense techniques by my father at a real young age. He was on D.C. S.W.A.T. It was a lot of striking, stand up. Kicks, knees, elbows, punches. He bought me a punching bag very early.

I trained with a great kickboxing trainer as a child and eventually went on to fight a few amature matches.

Right now I'm still learning muay thai and have been researching and practicing brazilian jui jitsu.

I was taught self-defense techniques by my father at a real young age. He was on D.C. S.W.A.T. It was a lot of striking, stand up. Kicks, knees, elbows, punches. He bought me a punching bag very early.

I trained with a great kickboxing trainer as a child and eventually went on to fight a few amature matches.

Right now I'm still learning muay thai and have been researching and practicing brazilian jui jitsu.

How do you like Muay Thai?

I'm still taking Hapkido, I started about 18 months ago. If you are interested here are 2 video's of me from class

In the 1st one I'm in the front left of class and I apologize for the girl in the back left that sucks. The 1st one is a bunch of kicks and the 2nd video is some of our self defense techniques. Keep in mind I've only been doing this for 18 months. I have a long way to go before it looks like I know what I'm doing.

Archived