Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official - I practice a martial art thread.

Sherlock Holmes

Hi guys,

Just wondered, do any of you practice a martial art, Karate/Judo/Ju Jitsu ETC?

If so please post in this thread so we can share our sport together!

Please dont post in this thread for a joke.

My martial art:

EKKA Karate (taekwondo / wadoryu)

Grade: 1st Dan

Competition Results: 3rd Place English Champs (Kumite - Fighting)

Thanks!

I've been taking Hapkido for just about a year now. I'll be taking my test for my Blue belt (5th belt) in about 2 weeks.

We have no tournaments, which is a good thing since most of the techniques are joint locks that turn into broken appendages.

I've been taking Hapkido for just about a year now. I'll be taking my test for my Blue belt (5th belt) in about 2 weeks.

We have no tournaments, which is a good thing since most of the techniques are joint locks that turn into broken appendages.

Sounds cool, more 'realistic' techniques, that could be used in street situations as self defense?

Wish I still practiced. I had some experience with Tay Son (Vietnamese kungfu) about 10 years ago. Then I moved into Shorin-Ryu karate, but had to stop shortly after because of circumstances in my life at the time.

Its something I would like to get back into.

I watched a lot of Van Damme movies and purchased Bruce Lee's book on Jeet Kun Do about 15 years ago. Then I went outside and tried those moves in a mock kumite on my trampoline.

Call it an independent study, if you will. Does that count?:silly: :laugh:

Seriously though....I always enjoyed MA and studied Karate in grade school. The furthest I made it was a yellow stripe on my white belt:laugh: . I think the only reason I earned that is because I was able to name all of the weapons hanging at the dojo:doh:

Cool Henry. Its been well more than 10 years since I've really practiced ;) , but from '68 to about 85 it was kung-fu, kempo karate, and aikido. I was very close to a large extended family of Okinawan-Chinese heritage the first 10 years of that span. Three of the adult males had joined the USAF and had arrived at Elmendorf AFB via Guam, where they picked up a new son-in-law who added the non-kung-fu components. I was a teenager in Anchorage and my mom ran a restaurant right by the two bases when I met them. Their job in the military was teaching unarmed combat and they also worked with training various law enforcement agencies later.

Thye were very cool Buddhists who could kick ass :laugh: . I ended up admiring their philosophies and general manner as much as their martial arts capability.

American Kenpo...

there are no tournaments..

I forgot almost everything about taekwando in Korea..

I forgot almost everything about Hapkido back in 96

my son earned a brown belt (black stripe) in Kenpo.

I did two years in taekwando as a teenager (green belt?), but my german shepherd kicked @$$ better than I ever could :laugh:

logo

I was in a Taekwondo class for 2 weeks, but the teacher quit and they cancelled the class. :(

Now I rely on fatguy-fu; a technique I invented involving mostly bullrushes and brute strength. :D

You humbly neglected to mention your expertise with Spanken Monkey.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rotflmao:

Sounds cool, more 'realistic' techniques, that could be used in street situations as self defense?

Yes, it's pretty much strictly a self defense martial arts. A lot of the things I've learned in the 1st year are defenses against grabs. People grabbing your arms, wrist, neck ect. Although a technique may be taught from somebody grabbing your wrist, it can be applied from pretty much anywhere. I'd have to say for the 1st 3 or 4 months my wrists were in constant pain.

It looks a lot like Aikido (Steven Seagal) using circles and the person’s momentum. Hapkido and Aikido came from Dy Ruy Aiki Jujitsu which is from Japan. A lot of the kicks come from Tae kwon do. Hapkido is a Korean MA.

Here are a few video's I looked up real quick just to get an idea how it looks, not to many good ones out there though.

This second one is decent, the beginning has a lot of break falls, that thank God my school doesn't stress too much, but they are good to know for when another student is practicing techniques on you that you are able to fall out of the move so they don't actually rip your arm/wrist off. And when you see guys tapping their leg, that means that they are in pain, and trust me, this stuff hurts. It's amazing how little you have to manipulate a wrist joint to cause extreme pain. The end of the 2nd video has some sparring which I'm not to impressed with. I hate seeing people spar and not have their hands up protecting the face. And the high kicks above the waist are just for show. I would never throw a kick higher then the waist in a real fight, way to risky if you miss. I'd just go for the groin or knees.

I studied Goju Ryu karate for about a year in high school until it got too hard to hold my part-time job, attend school, attend three karate classes a week and make swim team practice every day. Something had to go and it was karate.

If I could find a Goju school nearby, I'd probably take it up again.

I studied Goju Ryu karate for about a year in high school until it got too hard to hold my part-time job, attend school, attend three karate classes a week and make swim team practice every day. Something had to go and it was karate.

If I could find a Goju school nearby, I'd probably take it up again.

Its a tough commitment I agree.

Im currently holding down 3 times a week Karate, Soccer once a week, School, School work, and an active social life, soccer is going to have to go.

Cool Henry. Its been well more than 10 years since I've really practiced ;) , but from '68 to about 85 it was kung-fu, kempo karate, and aikido. I was very close to a large extended family of Okinawan-Chinese heritage the first 10 years of that span. Three of the adult males had joined the USAF and had arrived at Elmendorf AFB via Guam, where they picked up a new son-in-law who added the non-kung-fu components. I was a teenager in Anchorage and my mom ran a restaurant right by the two bases when I met them. Their job in the military was teaching unarmed combat and they also worked with training various law enforcement agencies later.

Thye were very cool Buddhists who could kick ass :laugh: . I ended up admiring their philosophies and general manner as much as their martial arts capability.

Wow. That's a much cooler story than mine. :)

Basically my mom got sick of seeing me sit around the house all day so she signed me up for TKD. I liked it so much I stuck with it for ten years. I also picked up a bit of Shotokan and Jujitsu in college. After I graduated I spent six months or so teaching at my old school to pay the bills until I found a 'real' job. Haven't really done much since.

That's what I liked about Shorin-Ryu, it was more realistic for street use. It incorporated elements of Tai-Chi, Aikido, Karate, and Judo. My Sensei studied actually in Okinawa.

As far as self-defense, I know onetime Sensei foiled a robbery where the robber attacked him with a crowbar. He blocked it with his forearm and "disabled" the guy. His arm was pretty messed up though.

Got a year or so of Shotokan in HS in Chile, coupled w/ my sensei's own version of "street" defense after practice for a couple of us that couldn't get enough.

Moved away after that year and never found the right guy/timing to get back into it, which I regret to this day.

I did watch almost all the Kung Fu episodes though, so I'm good.

Archived