Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Would anybody pick a fighter against Overeem in a HW MMA fight not named Fedor Emelianenko? Obviously the wrestlers in the UFC could take him down and potentially end the fight, but would you actually bet on that to happen? Carwin, Velasquez, Lesnar? Do you think Dos Santos would have more than a puncher's chance against Overeem? I honestly think I'd take Overeem over anybody in the world, perhaps besides Fedor. I'm glad I have a long time to think about that matchup.

I'd bet on Lesnar, Carwin, Mir, and Barnett in a heartbeat. Dos Santos and Cain depending on the odds.

I'd bet on Lesnar, Carwin, Mir, and Barnett in a heartbeat. Dos Santos and Cain depending on the odds.

Exactly. Overeem exposed Rogers for his lack of depth, which all the fighters you listed definitely have. I'm not as sure about Mir though. His chin is beginning to betray his depth.

I'd definitely take Lesnar & Barnett. I'd take Cain too. IMO, Cain's the most improved and talented out of the UFC's up & coming HWs. Not sure about Dos Santos and Mir though.

M-1 Global: Fedor not looking past Werdum, but open to fight with Overeem

Challenge issued; challenge accepted.

Mere hours after Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said he would need to sit down with M-1 Global officials to determine if a potential blockbuster fight between Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (33-11 MMA, 3-0 SF) and perennial top-ranked fighter Fedor Emelianenko (31-1 MMA, 1-0 SF) might be possible for later this year, those officials have answered the call.

Mir would get the fight to the ground and sub Overeem.

Mir's never shown great takedowns in the past. Carwin showed that even though Mir is bigger, he still doesn't know how to use his new found strength.

i think the only way that fight hits the ground is if Overeem drops him with a shot

Mir would get the fight to the ground and sub Overeem.
Mir's never shown great takedowns in the past. Carwin showed that even though Mir is bigger, he still doesn't know how to use his new found strength.

i think the only way that fight hits the ground is if Overeem drops him with a shot

Yeah, I just don't know if Frank can take advantage of fighters with speed and big-time strength anymore. An aging, staph-infected Minotauro and an utterly clueless and groundless Kongo don't bring what Overeem brings these days.

Frank Mir vs. Mirko Cro Cop seems like an interesting matchup right now.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19176/strikeforce-open-to-bellator-co-promotion-gilbert-melendez-vs-eddie-alvarez-fight.mma

A potential fight between two of the world's top 155-pound fighters outside of the Ultimate Fighting Championship is one step closer to fruition.

Just hours after officials from Bellator Fighting Championships distributed a press release campaigning for a fight between their lightweight champ, Eddie Alvarez, and Strikeforce lightweight title-holder Gilbert Melenedez, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said he's open to co-promoting the champion-vs.-champion bout.

"If the stars align and we can work out all the terms and conditions and timing, we'd do it," Coker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Of course we would. Why wouldn't we? Let's go do this."

With the likes of Frankie Edgar, B.J. Penn, Kenny Florian, Gray Maynard, Jim Miller and Diego Sanchez, the UFC has a stronghold on the world's best 155-pound talent. That, of course, has long been the case and given the promotion just about every major lightweight fight of late.

But Alvarez vs. Melendez would pit two of the world's top-10 lightweights against each other. And with the UFC's upcoming Edgar vs. Penn II and Florian vs. Maynard bouts, it couldn't come at a better time.

Talk of the fight first popped up on Friday when Melendez appeared as a panelist on HDNet's "Inside MMA" program. Melendez, who won an interim title and then unified the belts with a win over Josh Thomson in December, thinks the fight could determine a No. 1 fighter.

"I think he's an amazing fighter, and that's why I call out Eddie Alvarez," Melendez said. "Let's unify those titles. I'd love to fight that guy and test myself. I think if I could beat him, I could be No. 1 and vice versa."

He got some support from Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney, who recently pitted Alvarez against UFC vet Josh Neer in a non-title "super fight" earlier this month. (Alvarez won via second-round submission.)

"I will do everything I can to get Gilbert what he asked for," Rebney stated. "Gilbert wants the fight, Eddie wants the fight, and I want the fight. All we have to do is get Scott Coker on board, and together, we can make this happen. Eddie wants to fight the best, and Gilbert wants to fight the best, and there is no reason why any promoter or network should stand in the way of that."

Coker, in fact, agrees. He said Strikeforce has already allowed some of its fighters (such as Rudy Bears) to compete in Bellator. Additionally, he even inquired about using Bellator fighter and UFC vet Roger Huerta on a Strikeforce card.

"We've lent them three or four fighters already, and we had a brief conversation about (loaning) Roger Huerta, but the terms, conditioning, time just weren't right," Coker said. "But we'd love to work with them."

Alvarez (20-2), of course, makes his first title defense this fall. He'll fight either Toby Imada or Pat Curran, who recently advanced to the Bellator season-two tourney finale. Alvarez will enter the fight with 10 wins in his past 11 fights, which included consecutive submission victories over Greg Loughran, Eric Reynolds and Imada to win the season-one tourney and Bellator title.

Melendez (18-2), has won four of his past five and recently avenged the only two losses of his career (to Thomson and Mitsuhiro Ishida). In his most recent bout, he knocked off Japanese star Shinya Aoki in a CBS-televised title fight.

i would love to see that fight

Wow. 1 loss to one of the best heavyweights in the world and everyone starts to disregard Frank Mir. Meanwhile, apparently beating Brett Rogers makes you the second best heavyweight in the world.

It has nothing to do with rankings for me and moreso the matchup Overeem presents. It'd almost be style vs. style, like the old days. His striking pedigree and level of experience is simply on another level than anybody at the top of the UFC Heavyweight Division. The way he can keep those wrestlers at bay by the sheer fact that he can end the fight with one shot from any point of attack, with K-1 level precision.

If Kongo can survive on the ground against Velasquez, and if Rothwell can get back up several times against him, I'm sure Overeem can get back up to his feet. I think we can all agree that Overeem is one guy all the top fighters at Heavyweight do not want on his feet.

I still think Fedor takes him, but it's mostly because of his experience against big kickboxers. Leaping in with some crazy ****, immediately clinching up, then taking the fight down; nobody does that like Fedor does it. I don't think the big three at heavyweight can execute that kind of approach. They'll set up the single leg by pawing and pretending that they're going to strike. I think Overeem will drool at that notion.

I just go through the matchups in my head and, yeah, I can see Lesnar taking him down and ending it, but I certainly don't have to use my imagination too much to see Lesnar running in to fists. And if I had to bet on a fight between Overeem and Mir, I'd have to go with Overeem.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

It has nothing to do with rankings for me and moreso the matchup Overeem presents. It'd almost be style vs. style, like the old days. His striking pedigree and level of experience is simply on another level than anybody at the top of the UFC Heavyweight Division. The way he can keep those wrestlers at bay by the sheer fact that he can end the fight with one shot from any point of attack, with K-1 level precision.

If Kongo can survive on the ground against Velasquez, and if Rothwell can get back up several times against him, I'm sure Overeem can get back up to his feet. I think we can all agree that Overeem is one guy all the top fighters at Heavyweight do not want on his feet.

I still think Fedor takes him, but it's mostly because of his experience against big kickboxers. Leaping in with some crazy ****, immediately clinching up, then taking the fight down; nobody does that like Fedor does it. I don't think the big three at heavyweight can execute that kind of approach. They'll set up the single leg by pawing and pretending that they're going to strike. I think Overeem will drool at that notion.

I just go through the matchups in my head and, yeah, I can see Lesnar taking him down and ending it, but I certainly don't have to use my imagination too much to see Lesnar running in to fists. And if I had to bet on a fight between Overeem and Mir, I'd have to go with Overeem.

Whats cool is that Overeem and Dana have a good relationship. Overeem is more likely to fight for the UFC then Fedor is. If Overeem beats Fedor you know Dana will stop all Fedor negotiations and do whatever it takes to get Overeem. Anyone know if Overeem has said he always wants to do K-1, or if he is willing to shelf it?

Whats cool is that Overeem and Dana have a good relationship. Overeem is more likely to fight for the UFC then Fedor is. If Overeem beats Fedor you know Dana will stop all Fedor negotiations and do whatever it takes to get Overeem. Anyone know if Overeem has said he always wants to do K-1, or if he is willing to shelf it?
He is already qualified for the World Grand Prix this year because he finished 3rd last year. He mentioned it in his post fight interview basically he said that he would love to fight in it again this year but that MMA was his priority right now. So if his schedule allows it he will compete in K-1 again but if a fight with Fedor gets scheduled and that interferes he will skip it. I'm sure Dana has got a close eye on Overeem now after he dominated Rogers I can't wait to see what he can do in the UFC.

Hey guys I am looking for some advice. I just moved to Ellicott City, MD a few months ago. I love MMA and always wanted to learn BJJ. I have no fighting or wrestling experience, so I am a total beginner. I played football,baseball and tennis in high school so I am athletic. I am looking to get back into shape and learn Jiu Jitsu as I approach my 40th Birthday. Can any of you recommend a local place to learn for beginners. I looked online and found a place 15min from my house called Crazy 88 MMA. Anyone know anything about this place? Thanks for any help or advice you can offer me.

I need some advice as well. I just moved my four year old from an "MMA" class to a Shotokan Karate class. My son has about a thirty minute attention span and then is stuck doing pushups because his eyes are wandering everywhere but on the instructor. I know nothing about Karate and want to give him some work at home to hopefully allow him to be more focused during class. Any suggestions on what I can do to give him some work? Anyone ever worked with kids this age?

His instructor is a real hard ass and it took me a couple classes to stomach him slapping kids hands and pushing them with his feet. I was given some encouragement yesterday by one of the mothers who said her daughter started with this instructor two years ago when she was 3 1/2 and loves him to death even though he's such a hard ass. I really wanted to get him into Remix (Alan Belcher's gym) so he can learn BJJ but the logistics of getting him there for class is too difficult. Shotakan is all that's offered at the gym where my daughter takes gymnastics at the exact same time so it is what it is. Anyone familiar with Shotokan Karate. I really don't know much about it but I want my son to learn some type of martial arts.

Hey guys I am looking for some advice. I just moved to Ellicott City, MD a few months ago. I love MMA and always wanted to learn BJJ. I have no fighting or wrestling experience, so I am a total beginner. I played football,baseball and tennis in high school so I am athletic. I am looking to get back into shape and learn Jiu Jitsu as I approach my 40th Birthday. Can any of you recommend a local place to learn for beginners. I looked online and found a place 15min from my house called Crazy 88 MMA. Anyone know anything about this place? Thanks for any help or advice you can offer me.

I train at Yamasaki DC and I'm more familiar with the DC/NoVa schools than I am with schools closer to Baltimore. I looked at Crazy 88's site and it's a Lloyd Irvin school. He owns a few schools in this area and they have some very good instructors.

Another school in that area is Ground Control. I've seen some of their guys on local televised MMA bouts in the area. Their Head BJJ instructor is a Renzo Gracie Black Belt which is definitely a good sign.

It looks like instructors from both schools also have a good bit of competition experience which IMO is very important too.

I found this on Sherdog too:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/jiu-jitsu-mt-gyms-baltimore-md-941629/

and people have good things to say about both schools.

I'd just recommend going to both and trying them out. I'm sure they have free trial periods for beginners. That way you can get a feel for which school suits you the best. Also, keep location in mind. If you find a school closer to your home or work, you will be less likely to miss classes. Convenience definitely helps out.

I need some advice as well. I just moved my four year old from an "MMA" class to a Shotokan Karate class. My son has about a thirty minute attention span and then is stuck doing pushups because his eyes are wandering everywhere but on the instructor. I know nothing about Karate and want to give him some work at home to hopefully allow him to be more focused during class. Any suggestions on what I can do to give him some work? Anyone ever worked with kids this age?

His instructor is a real hard ass and it took me a couple classes to stomach him slapping kids hands and pushing them with his feet. I was given some encouragement yesterday by one of the mothers who said her daughter started with this instructor two years ago when she was 3 1/2 and loves him to death even though he's such a hard ass. I really wanted to get him into Remix (Alan Belcher's gym) so he can learn BJJ but the logistics of getting him there for class is too difficult. Shotakan is all that's offered at the gym where my daughter takes gymnastics at the exact same time so it is what it is. Anyone familiar with Shotokan Karate. I really don't know much about it but I want my son to learn some type of martial arts.

Sorry man, I'm not too familiar with working with kids or with Shotokan. I would say though that if he gets into it and sticks with it, that experience will make a transition to BJJ or another martial art easier down the road.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Watching TUF. This just in- Chuck Liddell sounds like he's punch drunk. Dude is slurring and mumbling. Maybe it's just me but if anyone else is watching, tell me if you agree.

yeah i got the same sense watching this season.

on a sidenote, has there ever been a season with as many injuries as this one?

strikeforce challenger's card tonight on showtime at 11pm(est)

MAIN CARD

* Matt Lindland vs. Kevin Casey

* Nathan Coy vs. Tyron Woodley

* Roger Bowling vs. Bobby Voelker

* Nate Moore vs. Tarec Saffiedine

* Pat Healy and Bryan Travers

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-televised)

* Pro Escobedo vs. Jason Sharp

* Blaine Macintosh (a) vs. Ben Morgan (a)

* David Lloyd (a) vs. Jay Schafer (a)

* Jason Lambert (a) vs. Patrick Whittington (a)

* Lee Flores (a) vs. Hamza Salim (a)

(a) - Amateur

definitely want to see Woodley fight. he's one to keep your eye on at 170

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19241/six-strikeforce-fighters-including-alistair-overeem-pass-heavy-artillery-drug-tests.mma

Six fighters from this past Saturday's "Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery" event have tested negative for performance-enhancers and drugs of abuse in the organization's independent testing.

Strikeforce spokesperson Mike Afromowitz confirmed the news today with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Included on the list of clean fighters is Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, who faced accusations of performance-enhancer use leading up his headlining fight with challenger Brett Rogers. Overeem won the bout in dominating fashion with a first-round TKO.

"Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery" took place May 15 at the Scottrade Center in Missouri.

Also tested from the card were Antonio Silva, who defeated Andrei Arlovski by unanimous decision; Joey Villasenor, who lost a unanimous decision to grappling ace Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza; and Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante, who knocked out Antwain Britt on the Showtime-televised card's opening bout (Souza and Britt also underwent testing.)

Test results for the rest of the event's main-card competitors – Rogers, Arlovski, Roger Gracie and Kevin Randleman – are not yet available.

Strikeforce ordered the tests amid concerns over the protocols used by the Missouri Office of Athletics, which oversaw the May 15 event. Prior to the event, the commission said its bylaws did not facilitate across-the-board testing for performance enhancers and drugs of abuse, and officials expressed a desire to keep the process random in order to maintain the element of surprise.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, however, said across-the-board testing was necessary to legitimize the event's results and worked with a local facility to implement the testing.

"We fixed the problem by drug testing everybody," he told MMAjunkie.com. "If there's a problem, we'll let people know. It was the right thing to do because the commission is doing random testing, and I didn't want to leave any chance or a crack of skepticism. And this puts everybody in check.

"We will do it again if we have to."

Results from the MOA's drug tests are not publicly disclosed unless an athlete tests positive for a banned substance.